What's new

Fight stick or controller

I know you won't be better with fight stick but I'm asking if I should invest in a fight stick cause my controller right bumper gets jam and tired to buy a new controller so maybe stick will help I heard I can fix them on my own for buttons and stick don't gotta spend 250 if that's true just looking for better in vestment

E

Eldriken

It's all a matter of preference. You can risk spending the $150~ or so on a stick and not liking it if you want. You won't know if it's for you until you give it a shot.

jmt

Noob
I know you won't be better with fight stick but I'm asking if I should invest in a fight stick cause my controller right bumper gets jam and tired to buy a new controller so maybe stick will help I heard I can fix them on my own for buttons and stick don't gotta spend 250 if that's true just looking for better in vestment
I play mkx great on pad or stick. There is no right or wrong answer.

It's all a matter of preference. You can risk spending the $150~ or so on a stick and not liking it if you want. You won't know if it's for you until you give it a shot.
I can adjust But it be worth it if it's possible for me to fix my jammed buttons and maybe even my stick if it's broke cause buying new controllers is just annoyed be nice if stick can do that just fix it at home and play

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I have seen some of the MKX dudes playing with either stick, or controller, or even hitboxes. You should try whatever fits you well. It's a matter of how you get used to and fancy to play with it.

It's preference, best MK and SF players have proven you can win Evo with either. I bought a fightstick and honestly wish I hadn't, it's gathering dust now as I just use the regular ps4 controller as it's wireless, light and more comfortable.

E

Eldriken

It's preference, best MK and SF players have proven you can win Evo with either. I bought a fightstick and honestly wish I hadn't, it's gathering dust now as I just use the regular ps4 controller as it's wireless, light and more comfortable.
I spent $150 on a stick during the SF4 days and used it for all of 10-15 minutes. It was collecting dust up until about a month ago when I decided to just throw it away.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I highly recommend the Hitbox. I've always sucked with stick (too much accidental jumping), but got sick of playing MK9 Kano on 360 pad, so I picked up a Hitbox. Best decision I ever made (um, other than marrying my wife...). The amount of precision is just something you can't get from a controller or a stick. There are a few things that could be considered more difficult on Hitbox (I still can't do 'Gief's standing 360/720 attacks...), but overall it's a huge improvement.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
If you want a more easily customizable and easier to repair controller they yeah I would recommend stick since if a button breaks you can replace it easy for less than a dollar.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I would suggest sticking with what you know but borrowing a stick from a friend or getting a used one online or a pawn shop to judge for yourself first.

Honestly it's all preference. But I would give that idea a go. Just don't buy something your later gonna regret.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Also if you are going to buy a stick I honestly would recommend building it from scratch. It is cheaper if you know where to get the parts and you get an amazing feeling of satisfaction from building a one of a kind stick that is truly personal

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I highly recommend the Hitbox. I've always sucked with stick (too much accidental jumping), but got sick of playing MK9 Kano on 360 pad, so I picked up a Hitbox. Best decision I ever made (um, other than marrying my wife...). The amount of precision is just something you can't get from a controller or a stick. There are a few things that could be considered more difficult on Hitbox (I still can't do 'Gief's standing 360/720 attacks...), but overall it's a huge improvement.
My tip for you:
Giefs 360 can be done by pressing DBFU. Or like an MKX command grab motion (dbf) except instead of pressing an attack button at the end, you press a u+attack button at the end.

360 motions only require you to hit the up, down, left and right button in any order within a specific window. Diagonals don't matter. Hope that helps I have no idea how to do a standing 720 lol.

What you play on is just an instrument, there's pros and cons to every kind of controller(hitbox, pad, stick, keyboard, whatever). Play with all of them and find one that works for you.youre not going to get a stick/hitbox and instantly be better at games, you're going to have to practice with it.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
It is all about preference.

IMO, you should go stick. If you can play stick you can play any fighting game, like Street Fighter and the various 2D Fighters.. but that being said people like Snake Eyez have shown that you an be a top player and still use a pad.

Still in my mind (as I am a old fart) the Stick is a more pure way to play. It is a thrown back to the arcade days and I personally love the feel of the stick, they look awesome and you do not get those terrible cramps, or strain injuries, or calluses you get on pads.

Though if you are looking for "advantage" then mastering the Hitbox can give you huge advantage in NRS games specifically. Insta Air guns that hit in the chest... no problem. Hitbox takes some getting used to but I do not think it can be argued that it has the easiest precision inputting.

Still the real truth is that the "tool" dose not make the "carpenter". No input device will suddenly make you good at the game. Anything you choose, if you get good with it, will be "the best" for you.

I still vote stick though...

I'd recommend the "Drone". It is a good entry level stick, not super cheap but not super expensive like some of the crazy ones that are around. Qanba make some great sticks. If you have been watching evo you probably have seen the add they have running for it (was going to put in thread but couldn't find a youtube of it) so you know it looks frickn awesome (well it dose imo)

So yeah.. go a stick and get a lower-middle cost one to start with like the Drone.

Last edited:
It is all about preference.

IMO, you should go stick. If you can play stick you can play any fighting game, like Street Fighter and the various 2D Fighters.. but that being said people like Snake Eyez have shown that you an be a top player and still use a pad.

Still in my mind (as I am a old fart) the Stick is a more pure way to play. It is a thrown back to the arcade days and I personally love the feel of the stick, they look awesome and you do not get those terrible cramps, or strain injuries, or calluses you get on pads.

Though if you are looking for "advantage" then mastering the Hitbox can give you huge advantage in NRS games specifically. Insta Air guns that hit in the chest... no problem. Hitbox takes some getting used to but I do not think it can be argued that it has the easiest precision inputting.

Still the real truth is that the "tool" dose not make the "carpenter". No input device will suddenly make you good at the game. Anything you choose, if you get good with it, will be "the best" for you.

I still vote stick though...

I'd recommend the "Drone". It is a good entry level stick, not super cheap but not super expensive like some of the crazy ones that are around. Qanba make some great sticks. If you have been watching evo you probably have seen the add they have running for it (was going to put in thread but couldn't find a youtube of it) so you know it looks frickn awesome (well it dose imo)

So yeah.. go a stick and get a lower-middle cost one to start with like the Drone.
I'm on Xbox but might wait for new systems to come out again and stick with Sony

I played and mastered soooo many fighting games. All I played since I can remember is fighting games. And I've always used the controller for that console. Regular old controllers and could execute everything they have in the game that can be executed. Just saying this because I feel like people make other people think you can't become good unless you use stick or pad, not true at all!

For example I watch sf4 videos and even other fighting games as well but more in the sf4 videos. 70% of the comments say, "I can't do these because I don't have a pad or stick I just got the ps4/ps3 controller, it's impossible on these!!!!"

I feel like people kinda scare people into buying these things. Haha this topic always intrigued me. They wouldn't put such execution into these games if it were impossible for the consoles main controller lol. I even once tried a pad for like 5 minutes and found it actually harder, I kept pressing the wrong buttons because I was so use to the regular controller. So I wasted money on a pad just to see the hype surrounding these.

I just wanted to let you know don't waste your money unless your absolutely sure. Get it if you want it don't let people make you think you'll automatically be better with a pad or stick.

I played and mastered soooo many fighting games. All I played since I can remember is fighting games. And I've always used the controller for that console. Regular old controllers and could execute everything they have in the game that can be executed. Just saying this because I feel like people make other people think you can't become good unless you use stick or pad, not true at all!

For example I watch sf4 videos and even other fighting games as well but more in the sf4 videos. 70% of the comments say, "I can't do these because I don't have a pad or stick I just got the ps4/ps3 controller, it's impossible on these!!!!"

I feel like people kinda scare people into buying these things. Haha this topic always intrigued me. They wouldn't put such execution into these games if it were impossible for the consoles main controller lol. I even once tried a pad for like 5 minutes and found it actually harder, I kept pressing the wrong buttons because I was so use to the regular controller. So I wasted money on a pad just to see the hype surrounding these.

I just wanted to let you know don't waste your money unless your absolutely sure. Get it if you want it don't let people make you think you'll automatically be better with a pad or stick.
i find it hard to believe you've "mastered" multiple fighting games without knowing that the controller you're using is a pad.

i find it hard to believe you've "mastered" multiple fighting games without knowing that the controller you're using is a pad.
Should of said mastered my character, and I get the meta of the fighting game I was playing at that time. :p I see pads as the hori pad and mk branded pad. Only game I didn't really do good at was blazblue, but still had tons of fun playing with Rachel.
Edit: Just trying to be helpful though because those types of "controllers" mainly specific to fighting games can be rather expensive to get if you're not sure if your going to like it.

Last edited:
Should of said mastered my character, and I get the meta of the fighting game I was playing at that time. :p I see pads as the hori pad and mk branded pad. Only game I didn't really do good at was blazblue, but still had tons of fun playing with Rachel.
well they're still called pads lol. See them as whatever you want but sonicfox is a pad player, as is luffy on his ps1 pad. The definitions aren't really up for interpretation. Also still kinda annoyed at the mastered comment but I'll just chalk that up to people calling everything "amazing" or "epic" when it's just moderately interesting.

I can adapt to new things if I got stick just stay in practice for a week till I get use to it I'm competitor but just thinking stick instead of staying pad cause my RB always gets jammed so don't wanna keep buying more controllers so with stick I can fix it atleast