What's new

FFVII REMAKE ANNOUNCED

I wonder if anyone else wishes this remake is actually the whole FF7 saga.
Oh man, what if everything was told in there. From the brilliant but absolute shit executed Before Crisis, to the wtf shoot em up with Vincent. One can dream...

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
FF7 was a great game for its time, and helped to further popularize the genre. The problem with this remake is that it will accentuate all the flaws in the writing. We no longer live in the era of text dialogue; there will be voice-acting. The voices themselves may be criticized, and hearing them utter certain lines from the original will be cringe-worthy. When you have to read something, you may interpret and hear it in your mind differently than when someone else says it. It also doesn't help that Japanese stories for this demographic tend to be quite dramatic and rely on monologues to begin with. I feel this game will open the eyes of many longtime fans, but not for the better, unfortunately. =P

But that's as far as story goes. The gameplay of FF7 is good, but a bit outdated--specifically, the frequent random battle encounters. They need to fix that or give us some repellent options (e.g. Pokemon repels). The battle system itself needs some updates to modernize it, keep it fresh, and make it more dynamic. Finally, the scope of the game was already insane as it was, so translating that into the current or future generation of video games will be challenging. I recall there being many sidequests and mini-games to do too. It provided a lot of freedom in an era where this was pretty unheard of, but we're used to even more freedom now (and even more so in the future from now), so I don't know if they will expand the over-world or if it's hard to cope with what they already need to work with.

All in all, I can't wait for this game. That said, it probably won't come out until I'm 40, so whatever...

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
@Faded Dreams V

I completely agree with part of what you said about the dialogue. Personally, I like the text-based dialogue and interpreting myself. But I'm realistic and fully expected actors to do the work this time. That said, I don't think the rough edges of translation will be prevalent in a current big title like they were in the 90's. Again, I like to bring up REmake... but the original RE had some of the worst voice-acting/dialogue ever and REmake fixed that.

As far as the gameplay system, I actually hope they retain some of those outdated elements. Random battles, ATB, grinding... I want all that back. Simple rebalancing and other things to modify and update the system. Make the materia system more elaborate with combinations, etc. Obviously adjust stats like max damage being 9999. Stuff like that where they keep the personality of the game, but advance and update it.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
Last I heard it's not going to be an exact remake.
There will be some modernized tweaks and changes.
But I truly hope the battle system stays in.
I really miss the FF turn-based battle system, as out-dated it perhaps is but I prefer it over the "new" battle system of FF.
The Materia system was meh, so I hope it will be tweaked to better use, or perhaps removed completely (I liked the draw system from FF8 more actually)

We'll have to wait and see, I don't expect FF7 to come out till ATLEAST Holiday 2016, but I'm expecting it will be more along the lines of 2017.
Hell, maybe even 2018, but we don't know how long they have been working on this already.
Just putting that CGI together isn't something that is done within a week, so I think they have been busy with it for a while already.
But the only thing we know is that they confirmed that production has started, but they did not specify if they started a month ago or a year ago.