What's new

FFVII REMAKE ANNOUNCED

aj1701

Noob
Best RPG of all time? Of All TIME? I think we should make a list of viable RPG's and put them in tiers analytically lol
First, best RPG of all time is Fallout. Second, this isn't even the best FF. North America FF2 was the best, followed by NA FF3. This one was ok.. actually now that I think about it, it was the last FF I ever played. I must have played it on my PC, b/c it looks like the only console it came out one was PS.

aj1701

Noob
For those that are wondering why people are so hyped for the remake of FF7;
FF7 was pretty much the JRPG that brought the (sub)genre to the west.
Not to mention the graphics at that time were amazing and pushing the PS1 to its limits (IMO it literally was the best looking game when it came out).
It was a game with a good story (for that time), gameplay mechanics that the west did not really know of either but somehow worked.
Your first console must have been a PlayStation, because JRPGs were popular on the NES/SNES. Dragon Warrior, FF1/2/3 (NA versions), and a bunch of others I can't remember.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Did you know you don't even have to use Omnislash to win? If you let Sephiroth attack you, you won't die and you automatically counter-attack him and he drops from one hit.

I wanted to see what happened if he beat you and sadly it seems that he can't. I even equipped the Buster Sword for this part and did like 1,000 damage and he still dropped.
Haha yea I remember. Like my 5th or so time beating the game I did the same thing. Equipped the Buster Sword with Bronze Armor and still killed him lol. I was like "what?" Then "ah well, I'll play again in another 6 months anyway".

This was probably the most memorable track. The transition from the fun in Gold Saucer to being thrown in a desert prison was amazing!
Yes! One of the most epic indeed. For me, nothing will top the first time standing outside of Shinra Headquarters fully prepared to go to war to the sound of this-

After the HQ's, any time you heard that music you KNEW shit was about to get real lol.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
Your first console must have been a PlayStation, because JRPGs were popular on the NES/SNES. Dragon Warrior, FF1/2/3 (NA versions), and a bunch of others I can't remember.
No, my first console was an NES.
While JRPG's were known on SNES, they were not popular.
FF7 is what made the entire sub-genre of RPG's popular in the west and introduced it to the masses.
The majority of people I know, knew, met, and meet rarily and very rarily speak about JRPG's in the SNES Era.
You might have known those games, but popular it definitely was not.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Damn, we're not gonna learn anything til winter. Speculation-mode is full go in my brain. Shit.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
Not a surprise.
FF7 will take a while before we get it.
The good part is that they are actually working on it.

ChaosTheory

Not a surprise.
FF7 will take a while before we get it.
The good part is that they are actually working on it.
I hope they've been lying straight to people's faces for a while now. Otherwise we won't see this game until 2018.

FF VII was a truly gigantic game, killing off the SNES and giving birth to the titanic Playstation.

Square have always made amazing RPG's, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger....and until this game FF VI was lauded as one of the greatest RPG's ever but VII really was quite ground breaking and something of a mile stone in much the same way Resident Evil was. Arguably VIII and IX are better games, but VII was a massive, MASSIVE classic.

Still, I do wonder if some things should stay "un-remade".....film remakes are seldom better than the original, despite the bells and whistles they put on it.

If this doesn't give people goose bumps I dont know what to say:

Guess its popular now to say that FF VII is average? That's like saying Street Fighter 2 is an average game in the series.

ChaosTheory

FF VII was a truly gigantic game, killing off the SNES and giving birth to the titanic Playstation.

Square have always made amazing RPG's, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger....and until this game FF VI was lauded as one of the greatest RPG's ever but VII really was quite ground breaking and something of a mile stone in much the same way Resident Evil was. Arguably VIII and IX are better games, but VII was a massive, MASSIVE classic.

Still, I do wonder if some things should stay "un-remade".....film remakes are seldom better than the original, despite the bells and whistles they put on it.
Well, I always look back at FFVII and think of it as doing for its franchise/genre what GTAIII did for its. It was a massive leap. At the time, it looked jaw-dropping. The story obviously sucked people right in, aided heavily by the music/sfx. It was also an absolutely huge game with tons to do. The battle and materia systems were super addicting as well.

I agree that remaking classics in from any forum makes me hesitate. But like I mentioned earlier... something done brilliantly, like REmake, shows that it can absolutely be worth it.

E

Eldriken

Nothing. Replayed the trailer, it said more info this winter. Then talked about the PC version on PS4 being delayed. That's all.
They shouldn't even bother with porting the PC version considering we're getting a flippin' remake.

ChaosTheory

They shouldn't even bother with porting the PC version considering we're getting a flippin' remake.
Yeah, but it's probably something to hold people over. Especially now with the remake announcement, I'm sure they'll pull in a good chunk of change with it.

This is one of those things I've on-and-off read about over the years. I remember reading one of the Square guys (current or original, can't remember) talking about the logistics of remaking FFVII properly. He mentioned something like it would take 7 or 10 years or something to remake that game with modern technology properly. Probably exaggerating at the least, but my point is I'd expect it to be quite a long time before we actually see the game.

As much clamoring, hoping, anticipation, and now excitement that fans have shown... I can't imagine them rushing this project even a little bit. You've got to expect GTA V-esque development, I'd think. That's why I say I hope they've been lying to us for a while and have secretly been putting in work.

portent

Noob
So much salt in here about his game! It may not be the greatest RPG ever made, but many people feel that it is the best one they've played. What you can't deny is that it's the game that mainstreamed RPG's in the United States. Most people won't even know that FF6 was originally FF3 in the USA, if they even played it. If you ask anyone who is not a die hard RPG fan from that era what their first RPG was, I'm willing to bet that FF7 will be the most common answer. Everyone remembers their first time pretty vividly.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
That was a big one. The first true emotional moment I've ever had in gaming.

Another thing I'll never forget is after all the early drama finally making it to Shinra Headquarters standing outside, that epic music playing, deciding whether to go in the front or sneak through the side. Then seeing President Shinra dead with Sephiroth's sword in his back. Man that was TOO epic.

I'll also never forget traveling across the marsh on chocobo because I couldn't kill that snake yet, just to see Sephiroth killed it. Dressing up as a woman to get into Don Corneo's house. Yuffie stealing all my stuff. The Sephiroth back story with Cloud. How incredibly annoying and useless Cait Sith was. The Combat Arena at the Golden Saucer. The mystery in trying to find out Cloud's true past and Tifa's. Exploring open world for the first time ever. The mind blowing graphics of the cut scenes. The Final Battle with Sephiroth. Getting stabbed to death trying to fight Tonberry's. Never defeating Ruby Weapon after 578 tries over the years. Leveling up in that under water wrecked ship. The music. Etc x100000000

It's like people who say wrestling was overrated and it's nostalgia thinking back in the NWO and Attitude Era days. At the time it was EPIC, but if you look back it now without having watched it at the time, it seems over done and unnecessary, but that's not even close to the experience in the late 90's/early 00's. FF7 is like this. My #1 most played game ever and most memorable. Over the years I've probably played it 25-30 times over between games.

Man these young Bucks really don't understand what FF7 was back then.
That's it. Now I have to play it again after reading this nostalgia packed comment. Amazing how a comment about a game good bring back so many feels.