What's new

[February 17-19 2012, Cannes - France] World Game Cup 2012

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
TLDR Version: Great tournament, great experience!

Having just got back from France I thought I’d do a little write up just so people have an idea of how it went, what it looked like etc. as it really was a great event. I met some great people and had a laugh. If the opportunity came up again I’d go in a heartbeat.

There were however some negatives I feel I need to get off my chest so I’ll start with those and move onto the good points.

Okay first things first. It was clear from the get go that WGC did not give a flying fuck about Mortal Kombat. To some extent I can understand why. Purely from a numbers perspective, there were only 32 of us. Compare that to around 350 for SF4 you can kind of understand where their priorities were. The French scene in general seems to focus mainly around either older 2d fighters or 3d fighters. The VF5 scene for example is apparently alive and well.

Many of us arrived on Thurs night and attended the event on the Friday expecting to play some casuals the day before the tournament to get some practice in. There were initially no setups for MK whatsoever. When asking the TO he managed to get us one setup, with no patch, on a crappy old CRT monitor. What was annoying was that there were several setups for SF3 TS with most of them not even being used. Again we hounded the TO and were promised 8 setups for the Sat (The day of the tourney) all with the 1.05 patch. What we got when we arrived on the Sat however, was the same crappy unpatched single setup. When the MK players arrived this obviously caused some issues as none of us could play casuals for practice.

Eventually we did get our own area with 4 setups, fully patched etc. but had further frustrating news. Several players did not realise that the finals were to take place on the Sun, despite us all being Emailed and the WGC paperwork even reflecting this. Several players had moved their flight times so they could stay for the finals. Some had also taken Monday off work. The TOs therefore decided to hold the entire MK tourney on the Saturday to appease a handful of players that did not read their Emails stating the tournament schedule. The end result was that many of us were stuck in France for Sun and Mon paying extra for hotels etc when we could have simply left on Sat night or Sun morning.

All in all this was pretty annoying and I just seemed to get the impression that no one gave a shit about MK, and they just wanted it out the way for other games on the Sun. Once we complained about the above we were promised stream time of 2 hours for exhibition matches on the Sun as a way of compensation. What we got was 15 mins of stream time before being booted off. I’m starting to think more and more that we simply need our own majors rather than trying to piggy back onto other events with more popular games. I guess this doesn’t help with exposure though. Okay with that off my chest, (sorry for the rant!) lets move onto the positives.

Meeting everyone was simply amazing. There is something about meeting up with a group of players from all over with a mutual love of a game that you just can’t beat. I mean how else would we meet any of these people? We had players from all over Europe turn up to play and the standard was generally excellent. Everyone got on and despite the shaky start, once the tournament was going it was pretty hype. It would have been nice to have had more players, especially those that voted MK in but didn’t show. But hey, we got MK to a European major and think we did a great job of making the game look great.

Grats to Mustard for taking first place and showing such an on point Cyrax! I think everyone already knew that his Cyrax was good but that was some other level stuff. The hit confirming, AAs and uppercuts into d1~net were just so on point it was ridiculous. Definitely a well deserved win. Props also to Hidan for taking Quan Chi so far! Crathan and Ketchup also did amazingly well for making it to top 4, though I expected no less!

Shout outs to everyone who made it to the event, especially to TheRob and TheAl for repping Austria and making it in despite no offline scene to speak of. It was great to meet you both.. I hope you manage to grow your scene. Shout outs to the Greeks, that's some damn solid play. The hotel casuals were great fun and you definitely helped me iron out some bad habits.

I didn't manage to take as many pics as I'd have liked but here are some of the few I did take.

View from the hotel

The rood to WGC

Alberto, me and Thead

Smokey and Malakai

Le condiment brothers

And of course, cat dude (France is Weird)

If anyone has any other vids/pics, post em up. :)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Im being really slack, but theres about 8gb of footage (matches) that is slowly going up during the week, once i have it up il link it.
On another note, whenever i think of Hidan all i can think of is this:

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Little tour of the event and this was just the fighting game section. The game section was around 4 times bigger and the event in general was, well I don't know tbh I didn't manage to see it all. It was big, put it that way.

Oh and sorry for filming portrait. I've no idea why I did that.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
Im being really slack, but theres about 8gb of footage (matches) that is slowly going up during the week, once i have it up il link it.
On another note, whenever i think of Hidan all i can think of is this:
Nice, but next time we meet I let you into something more hardcore

Neithan

Noob
Sup Guys !
Atssal will post a bit after me so he can tell you what happened during WGC about the problems BenGmanUK spoke about. I just cleared my phone of photos about WGC and found some I think you could want, so here you go. Thanks for coming to WGC. ;)

Ps : I was the guy with the John Wayne shirt that came searching for you on sunday for the stream before we close. Sorry it was not a bit longer a this time. :'(

Atssal

Noob
Hey guys,

Pardon me for my late respond. I felt so bad for what happened during the WGC that I needed some time to figure everything out. So where can I begin? Maybe the first thing is to try to explain why there is no MK love in France and as a result, why the tournament organization was so fucked up.

MK9 competitive life in France was really short. I mean something like one month or one month and a half. The game was released in April and we had a major tournament two weeks after. A lot of SFIV top players attended the tournament and gave a lot of support to the game. But because of netcode issues, patches and a lot of problems the game had at the beginning, they stopped playing it. After that, the game was definitively dead and disappeared from tournaments. A lot of players then said the game is crap and it became the general statement in France. To give you an example, Cimerian bodied free a Scorpion player during WGC, this guy is a SFIV top player and was a former support of the game . He entered the tournament for having fun and couldn't believe the game was still played seriously.

Here comes the big problem related to WGC organization. MK isn't considered at all in France. People makes distinction saying MK is not a fighting game in the way they see it. You know, the classic "it's not like Street Fighter" or any Japanese 2D fighting game, so it's necessarily bad. I know it's complete nonsense but, this is how it is. MK is not the only game in this kind of situation, we even have people saying that UMvC3 isn't a serious game because you have more than two characters at the same time on the screen. But as we have a little local scene on Marvel and top players supporting the game, things are totally different.

Concerning the organization itself, as MK9 disappeared from tournament they weren't aware the game was patched several times since its released and they didn't even know you have to finish the story mode to unlock Quan Chi. No one amongst the organizers knew a single thing about MK except one person who was already busy with all the mvc3/Blazblue/sfxt stuff. This is why I decided to help them in the organization of the tournament and that's a reason why I couldn't do that much for you guys . I was initially supposed to do things on the second stream, but finally spent most of my time trying to fix all the problems. In this situation, I had no power to do something by my own.

Shit happens in tournament, it's a part of the organization process, but the main problem here was you as members of the FGC not being welcomed during that event. Even if there were more people for MK (mostly from abroad) than for BlazBlue and Third Strike included, MK was still the little game from the poll that nobody care about. I tried my best to obtain you everything you needed (patched consoles, more freeplay setups...) but nobody gave a shit about what was going on. For that part, I definitely believe things would have been different if the Komplete Edition had been released before. To give you an idea, someone bought Skarlet just at the beginning of the tournament especially for one player because the DLCs codes given by Warner weren't working.

The worst part in that is, initially, the organizers wanted to have MK on their tournament. They tried their best and, unfortunately, also made a lot of mistakes. I still don't understand why they suddenly changed the tournament schedule whereas it was mentioned several times by mails that top 4 was on Sunday. Apparently, French players asked to change the tournament schedule because it was written somewhere on the official website that MK was only on Saturday. I was busy somewhere else when they made that decision and even if I tried to reverse the situation as the majority of the foreign players understood correctly that top 4 was on Sunday, nothing was possible.

Different problems happened at the same time (not only for MK), people were really stressed out and all the people in charge of the event had a different version. It was a complete mess. When it was finally decided top 4 was on Saturday, I tried to negotiate a two hours exhibition on the stream 2 where the top 4 was supposed to be broadcast. But here again, things fucked up I don't know why, and friends of mine had literally to hijack the stream station to put you on for only a small amount of time.

I don't blame all the organization staff for what happened. I don't think they despised MK players or anything, they had just no clue of what is going on in the European scene. The vast majority of the French players are online warriors and as a matter of fact, they are unknown outside the MK sphere which means they had no one who could be in charge of the tournament. On the other games, players involved in their scene helped running their tournaments. For MK, it was famous Soul Calibur players from GnouzCorp who ran it and they didn't even entered the SCV single tournament happening at the same time. So, even if they didn't really care about the game, they did what they could.

Finally, the organizers asked me to thank you for being so nice and relaxed with all those troubles around the weekend. The tournament in itself was really cool and the organizers quite enjoyed doing it. Few of them told me they were really impressed by the MK European scene in general and felt they were more solidarity in it than in the French Soul Calibur community (often shown as an example in France). I'm personally sad this tournament wasn't really a good start for people entering their first tournament abroad. A lot of work has still to be done in France for MK players being considered as part of the FGC. But anyway, I hope we'll see you again in the future, it could be on MK (why not) or on another game, and that time, everything will be fine.

Good luck for anyone entering Evo this year and long live MK.

Oh, I almost forgot. Direct footage of the top 4 are now available.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Thank you for the explanation, hopefully if MK makes the roster in the future france will be more accepting of it. :)

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Atssal I assume you're the guy in the 2nd from last pic behind ketchup? I missed your name sorry. Despite my rant in this thread in think its fair to say that without your help our tournament would have been a complete disaster. You were the one guy that we could go to and mange to get stuff sorted in the end. It sounds like you had an uphill battle with some of the guys at WGC.

Though it was a frustrating experience for many of us, we got there in end. For what its worth, thank you. Your help was very much appreciated.

:)

Atssal

Noob
You're right, that's me. As you said the all weekend was a struggle to obtain negligible stuff, it was quite a grueling work.

I can't assure anything now as i don't know what they're planning for next year, but if it happens MK (and/or KI as rumors imply a reboot of the franchise) is back in the line up I'll try to be involved early in the organization process to avoid all these problems.