What's new

Feb 20, 2016 - UMK3 OFFLINE Event, Cincinnati, Ohio!

@Tim Static @ClevelandMenace..JAX WINS @Ziggy @UndefinedRican @nwo @Drakonian @Killer Cam Whitmore @Shock @Mikemetroid @dubson @DemoniChris @ddy_08 @Biggs @AnTi @Sharks_Breath @lapse138 @Konqrr @NoDoubt @Juggs @Miridia

(feel free to tag others)

Tonight I'm meeting with someone at Arcade Legacy in Cincinnati to discuss the venue for February 20. Trying to get as many people as possible to come out and have a killer tournament!

The MAIN event will be UMK3 on MAME, but also will run TE on the side and MK2 - there is an MK2 machine at Arcade Legacy if we don't have the resources to do it on Mame (I have 2 PC's right now that I can run UMK3 and TE on). There is also an MK2 machine (buttons are in great shape) there, as is a UMK3 machine, though I believe the sticks really need some work. But bring your own sticks and pads for mame!

What I need now is folks that would definitely/most likely be in attendance for an event on Feb 20, which is a Saturday. Can probably have casuals before and after, and maybe even the Friday night before. This would be an awesome event to really hash out who's come into their own since the OG days. (IE, back up your talk. lol )

Update - new info.

When - Feb 20, 2016, 2pm-midnight

Where: Arcade Legacy - 662 Cincinnati Mills Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45240
$10 cover to get in, $10 entry fee to UMK3 tournament (at this point we'll split pot 70/20/10). If we have 20+ show up, cover fee will be knocked down to $7 each.

Games
Side games/casuals
UMK3:TE
N64 MKT
MK2 (Mame and/or Arcade Legacy has a great MK2 cab)
If @nwo can make it or if I can get his mame build for 2v2 UMK3, we can get 2v2 team kombat in there. These are side games and I'd be cool with drawing up some brackets or whatever, but no prize money involved here.

Main Event
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. - Double elimination tournament
Casuals, other games from 2-6. Break for food, and UMK3 Tournament starts around 7:15-7:30.

UMK3 Tournament Rules
1v1
Played on Juggernaut hack, gameplay as is. Human Smoke selectable on screen, but Robot Smoke can morph to Human smoke before any round.
Noob is banned
Winner stays with character.
3 out of 5 match play, 4 out of 7 winners/losers/grand finals.

The winners bracket and all finals will be streamed. Not sure the stream channel/link, but @Osirun can give input on that one.

As far as logistics go, getting here from out of town, I'm still working on that one. Will update more as time goes on.
Working on possibility of trophy and prize money sponsors also.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Still need more concrete info. Which games officially will be played and where? Let us know when those are confirmed.

Also need to know what the entry fees are and what the tournament rules will be.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
And I would run this at an existing event. Like at a tournament that is already happening. This way you'll get players who are into UMK3 but don't wann travel cross country for just UMK3, aka MKX players.

If you want this to be just umk3 and "your" thing, that's cool too.

Still need more concrete info. Which games officially will be played and where? Let us know when those are confirmed.

Also need to know what the entry fees are and what the tournament rules will be.
OK, so. I said I would be meeting TONIGHT. I can't get you all that info until I meet with the guy.
Where, is arcade legacy in Cincinnati Ohio. Address is posted.
OFFICIALLY UMK3. I will also be running TE on the side. MK2 is a possibility.

Last edited:
And I would run this at an existing event. Like at a tournament that is already happening. This way you'll get players who are into UMK3 but don't wann travel cross country for just UMK3, aka MKX players.

If you want this to be just umk3 and "your" thing, that's cool too.
Also what is being discussed...

Just so everyone knows, I did talk to someone at arcade legacy last night, to lock up the venue for the 20th. I'll post more details later, but this is absolutely happening. I also have something very big to disclose!

@Tim Static @ClevelandMenace..JAX WINS @Ziggy @UndefinedRican @nwo @Drakonian @Killer Cam Whitmore @Shock @Mikemetroid @dubson @DemoniChris @ddy_08 @Biggs @AnTi @Sharks_Breath @lapse138 @Konqrr @NoDoubt @Juggs @MiridiaSo a little more info (I'll update the original post too)

When - Feb 20, 2016, 2pm-midnight

Where: Arcade Legacy - 662 Cincinnati Mills Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45240
$10 cover to get in, $10 entry fee to UMK3 tournament (at this point we'll split pot 70/20/10). If we have 20+ show up, cover fee will be knocked down to $7 each.

Games
Side games/casuals
UMK3:TE
N64 MKT
MK2 (Mame and/or Arcade Legacy has a great MK2 cab)
If @nwo can make it or if I can get his mame build for 2v2 UMK3, we can get 2v2 team kombat in there. These are side games and I'd be cool with drawing up some brackets or whatever, but no prize money involved here.

Main Event
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. - Double elimination tournament
Casuals, other games from 2-6. Break for food, and UMK3 Tournament starts around 7:15-7:30.

UMK3 Tournament Rules
1v1
Played on Juggernaut hack, gameplay as is. Human Smoke selectable on screen, but Robot Smoke can morph to Human smoke before any round.
Noob is playable
No character lock

The winners bracket and all finals will be streamed. Not sure the stream channel/link, but @Osirun can give input on that one.

As far as logistics go, getting here from out of town, I'm still working on that one. Will update more as time goes on.
Working on possibility of trophy and prize money sponsors also.

Reactions: nwo

nwo

Noob
I hope I can make it, I'm not 100% sure quite yet...

I don't have a custom MAME build that does 2v2, its a separate program.

I was going to start working on a 2v2 teams hack when I had the time, but otherwise I could tweak the software that I already use for offline dual monitors 2v2 team kombat. That would be fun as hell, especially if we could stream it, the players would have display names updated automatically on the fly.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I wish I could go ;_;

I just started my new job and I barely have time to even play games at my house anymore.

nwo

Noob
I wish I could go ;_;

I just started my new job and I barely have time to even play games at my house anymore.
You couldn't take 1 weekend off? What if someone shared a room with you? and a lot of people showed up for the tournament?

I'm truly trying to weigh this out myself.

Last edited:

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
I will be putting the full power of PowerUp and Arcade Legacy behind this event. It is a great idea and I am happy to help!

We will be working on the streaming possibilities, and the eventual stream will be on: twitch.tv/arcadelegacy

Closest airport is CVG about an hour south of the arcade. Then there is Dayton International about an hour and a half north of the arcade.

There is a very nice Hampton Inn next door to the venue, for those interested.

@tehdrewsus

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
You couldn't take 1 weekend off? What if someone shared a room with you? and a lot of people showed up for the tournament?

I'm truly trying to weigh this out myself.
I would, but I can't take a vacation for myself when I have a wife and kids at home...

This is awesome and I'll support any way I can.

dubson

Noob
$10 entry??

if i am going to travel for a tournament, i would prefer the pot be juicier man, especially in the situation of a really low number of participants

but i am down depending on the pot and number of players participating

dubson

Noob
UMK3 Tournament Rules
1v1
Noob is playable
No character lock

Why no character lock, and why Noob playable?

Last edited:
Actually thinking about it, Noob may be banned. A lot of possible XBL/PSN kids coming to this one never having the opportunity to use Noob.

NoDoubt

nasty
character lock didn't exist till shock n the crew decided on it sometime after 2011 I think .

I'll play however u wanna run it.

somethin not mentioned on tournies usin mame..test your setup n make sure theirs no pad delay. Pad players often suffer delay through converters while stick/keyboard users have direct input. arcade managers have confirmed this issue incase any1 thinks it's bs but jus sayin incase people gonna travel this trip

oh n if a 2v2 tourny is planned, do explosive combat. I think 2v2 with singles is legit cuz umk is too fast

MRIGOTBASS

character lock didn't exist till shock n the crew decided on it sometime after 2011 I think .

somethin not mentioned on tournies usin mame..test your setup n make sure theirs no pad delay. Pad players often suffer delay through converters while stick/keyboard users have direct input. arcade managers have confirmed this issue incase any1 thinks it's bs but jus sayin incase people gonna travel this trip

oh n if a 2v2 tourny is planned, do explosive combat. I think 2v2 with singles is legit cuz umk is too fast

If you use a pad with a converter it will have delay kid purp or you can just use a PS3 pad and not be complicated.

dubson

Noob

I will too but I have never played in a legit tournament in any fighting game where winner could change characters

I'm talking since Street Fighter 2, Tekken 1, any fighting game...

Last edited: