What's new

Fatal February '13 MK2 Tournament - COMPLETED

You told me no nicknames. This is your name what could i possibly be doing wrong now?!?! As for that I guess mikecaldwell may be right, fair is fair it is a very easy mistake to make tho... Maybe the Liu player loses the round if he attacks? The other player can still play?? Lmao either way its all good with me I'm just excited to play and make some new friends to play this game with! :)

Edit I love that line mikecaldwell said. The beginning of the match is just as important as the end that dude is playing to win!!! Me too man i like that!!

You told me no nicknames. This is your name what could i possibly be doing wrong now?!?! As for that I guess mikecaldwell may be right, fair is fair it is a very easy mistake to make tho... Maybe the Liu player loses the round if he attacks? The other player can still play?? Lmao either way its all good with me I'm just excited to play and make some new friends to play this game with! :)
You asked me what I thought. I'm telling you. You can laugh your ass off all you want, but it's seems pretty clear to me. There has to be rules to a tournament. I'm all for making friends and strengthening the community, but when it comes to tournaments there has to be certain defaults set in place.

Wait... I think you misunderstood homie! I agreed with you! Also I wasn't laughing at you, that line got just got me pumped for some tournament mk2!!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I def agree with Mike that the beginning is just as important as the end. it sets the whole tone for the round. definitely cannot have everyone stop play for 15 seconds until Tsung morphs back. we have to see what MKillBill thinks, as it's his call. like Astro said, it's really easy to turn into top-tier by accident, ESPECIALLY Mileena. sometimes you hold HP for a second and he turns into her. what if there's some sort of grace like once a match, or once a set, where if you mistakenly morph into top tier, just keep playing. but if it happens more than once, you forfeit the round? that way no one is going to abuse Tsung, but yet the penalty isn't too strong if a mistake happens.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Wont be able to participate due to where I'm at, I had a really good connection on UMK3 when I was playing on Phil's charity stream but I understand and respect that all that could turn sour in a hot minute.

But just my opinion on the morphing situation:

- Who the hell "accidentally" morphs into Mil lol? I can't think of any reason to use standing HP on its own, his standing HK is already a godlike AA and Jax is really the only matchup I can think of where Mil is the best morph possible, which already isn't gonna happen.

- Maybe ban Shang himself too? Kitana and Lao morphs are just as effective counterpicks as any of the top 3 IMO.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
All good points as far as Shang Tsung is concerned and morphing into top tier. We can't just stop the match for 15 seconds while Shang morphs back. What if that player had a life lead and strategically did it knowing there would be a 15 second runoff and therefore would win by default? Or on the flipside, is losing, does it accidentally, and loses by default? It's just not an option. Here's my ruling on it.

Top tier (Liu, Mil, Jax) are all banned for this tournament, PERIOD. That means any morphs into said characters are also banned. If you elect to pick Shang and accidentally morph into top tier, the following will happen:
  • First offense - lose the round
  • Second offense - lose the match
  • Third offense - DQ

Wont be able to participate due to where I'm at, I had a really good connection on UMK3 when I was playing on Phil's charity stream but I understand and respect that all that could turn sour in a hot minute.

- Who the hell "accidentally" morphs into Mil lol? I can't think of any reason to use standing HP on its own, his standing HK is already a godlike AA and Jax is really the only matchup I can think of where Mil is the best morph possible, which already isn't gonna happen.

- Maybe ban Shang himself too? Kitana and Lao morphs are just as effective counterpicks as any of the top 3 IMO.
Lol for sure that would be a littlr fishy the Liu one I could believe cuz its vasically the same combo for his firrballs as his Liu morph but jax or muleena no way

But I like those rules billy made that's fair ill just be extra careful

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
mortal_jason, @REO, @Sub0's-Icy-Balls, @dookiebrain, @MIKECALDWELL, @Konqrr, @Ththuvhul, @Kraptile, you_lost_2a_girl, btbb99, Billy_Bats1427, DanCock, Mikemetroid

DATE: Saturday, February 9th, 2013
TIME: 7pm Eastern (4pm Pacific)

Please note - this is a USA PS3 only tournament. If you do not reside in the US, you will not be permitted to enter due to lag concerns. Matches can be played either on MKAK (default) or the original PSN MK2 release (aka OG MK2.)

RULES
  • All matches are best of 5 (first to 3.) You do not need to play all 5 games if one player has already accumulated 3 wins. Winner/Loser finals are best of 7. The championship match will be best of 9.
  • Double elimination
  • Top tier characters are banned (Liu Kang, Mileena, Jax). This includes using Shang Tsung to morph into top tier.
  • All participants will need to access the TYM Chat during tournament play to report their match scores and setup their games with opponents.If you cannot access the TYM Chat during tourney play, you cannot enter the tournament.
  • You, yourself, must post in this thread and declare your entry to the tournament. Do not message me through PM, AIM, PSN, or through someone else. By posting your intent to enter in this thread, it shows you are a TYM member and you will check the thread for updates rather than relying on us to tell you.
  • All entrants are responsible for checking this thread regularly for updates; including dates, times, and match brackets. We will not send out reminders to players.
  • If connection breaks then both players must restart the match with the same characters (prior round win is omitted). If the breaking connection is suspicious like breaking right before a victory then the player has a right to report it.
  • In the case of lag, keep trying. If after a few tries the connection is not good, please report back to the chat room IMMEDIATELY and a new matchup may be made for you with another opponent. Bear in mind this only applies to first round matches.
  • You are permitted to quit on account of lag after the first match without being faulted if it is unplayable. After the 2nd match is started you must continue the rest of your remaining matches even if lag begins to creep in. You must notify your opponent you are quitting due to lag and report it ASAP in the chat room in order to get a new opponent. Otherwise, you may both be disqualified. Therefore it is best to play early in case you may need to swap opponents as there may be no available opponents left if all matchups have been played. This lag exception ONLY applies to first round matches. All subsequent rounds MUST be played regardless of lag.
  • If you have been previously banned from the Kombat Network, you are not permitted to enter the tournament.
DISQUALIFICATIONS
  • All participants will have a 10 minute grace period to show up in the chat room for the start of the tournament. If the player has not arrived by that time, they will be disqualified.
  • Failing to post score results of a match in the chat, voluntarily quitting in the middle of a match or at any time in the tournament, any sort of suspicious activity (impersonation, ban evasion, etc), or anything else deemed inappropriate or unsportsmanlike is grounds for disqualification. The staff reserves the right to disqualify a player at any time.
  • If you use Shang Tsung and morph into top tier, accidentally or intentionally, you will be penalized. 1st offense - lose the round. 2nd offense - lose the match. 3rd offense - DQ.
  • If you trigger the Smoke battle, intentionally or not, you will be automatically disqualified.
  • If a player is DQ'ed then a reserve will be used. If there is no reserve then the player will receive a bye.
One last thing: Video recordings are not required, but definitely appreciated!

BRACKET LINK
(Posted once signups close)

SIGNUPS (minimum of 8 players required)
1. MKillBill
2. Mikemetroid
3. mortal_jason
4. you_lost_2a_girl
5. Sub0's-Icy-Balls
6. AREZ God of War *currently banned*
7. Konqrr
8. Edfig81
9. AstroZombieCBGB

RESERVES
Arez is still banned? I am going to call him up if he's still allowed to compete in this tournament ? Also I hope his ban is lifted or a temp ban he's good for our community and in regards 2 2d Games he brings hype. I had so much fun playing him on umk @nec also I don't want to discuss the ban I just hope people hear the on blast Show from Tuesday and address the ban. Arez was on

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Arez is out for one month as of this Tuesday. I will not discuss details as I'm not the one who banned him, but as long as he isn't banned come tourney time he can still play.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Arez is out for one month as of this Tuesday. I will not discuss details as I'm not the one who banned him, but as long as he isn't banned come tourney time he can still play.
I understand.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard

if you start the round golden punching, you will morph in Mileena. basically any button mashing of HP can morph into her. I often accidentally morph into her when I use Tsung.

Jax is HARDLY the only matchup where Mileena is the best morph possible lol. besides, Jax is one of the best characters to fight Mileena.
Mileena is probably the best counter to every fighter in MK2. she owns nearly all.

Kitana and Lao are not top tier, but they are probably the best of the mid-tier, yeah.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
if you start the round golden punching, you will morph in Mileena. basically any button mashing of HP can morph into her. I often accidentally morph into her when I use Tsung.

Jax is HARDLY the only matchup where Mileena is the best morph possible lol. besides, Jax is one of the best characters to fight Mileena.
Mileena is probably the best counter to every fighter in MK2. she owns nearly all.

Kitana and Lao are not top tier, but they are probably the best of the mid-tier, yeah.
I agree jax vs Mileena is definitely a good match. But you ever played reo? I play him in mk2 @nec and I got raped lol jax vs Mileena. Imo jax is a good counter buttttt..He has issues finishing the match vs. the Mileena player if she's a high player level such as reo.i am being real lol.

I agree jax vs Mileena is definitely a good match. But you ever played reo? I play him in mk2 @nec and I got raped lol jax vs Mileena. Imo jax is a good counter buttttt..He has issues finishing the match vs. the Mileena player if she's a high player level such as reo.i am being real lol.

You know Jason is probably the best mk2 player around right now don't you? You're right though. High level Mileenas give Jax problems.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard

yeah I taught Reo a few things about Mileena, like corner combos, much the same way Nikidemos taught me. unfortunately for everyone else, Reo learns fast ;) last time we did my Jax vs his Mileena I was still winning the majority, but I'm sure he's better now. Jax is one of the only characters with the weapons to beat Mileena. I agree it's a tough match, but if you can learn to ground pound under her sais, it becomes more manageable. she's still the best character in MK2, so technically she should win every match other than Mileena mirrors.

speaking of REO, he's a really cool guy, I'd like to play him again soon. I bet his Mileena can beat my ladies up a bit nowdays. I've created a monster!! :eek:

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
You know Jason is probably the best mk2 player around right now don't you? You're right though. High level Mileenas give Jax problems.
you're getting a good Christmas gift this year for that one, Mike! thanks for the compliment, but YOU are the best overall MK2 player in the world. I have a lot of characters to improve before I can dethrone you as king :cool:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, don't get me wrong, Mil is still retarded for any character to overcome, but I was pointing out specific counterpicking, where Scorp can't really do anything to Liu or Sub can't do anything to Jax etc. (I'm not saying Jax/Mil is THAT bad for Jax, just that she's probably the best CP morph in the matchup IMO)

That's what I think the issue will be, if the top 3 are banned on accounts of counterpicking, isn't everyone gonna nitpick downwards the rest of the tier list until only Reptile and Baraka are legal lol?

And I'm not saying it's impossible to get accidental morphs, I'm just saying they should be easily avoidable with the intents and purposes on the tourney rules in mind.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, don't get me wrong, Mil is still retarded for any character to overcome, but I was pointing out specific counterpicking, where Scorp can't really do anything to Liu or Sub can't do anything to Jax etc. (I'm not saying Jax/Mil is THAT bad for Jax, just that she's probably the best CP morph in the matchup IMO)

That's what I think the issue will be, if the top 3 are banned on accounts of counterpicking, isn't everyone gonna nitpick downwards the rest of the tier list until only Reptile and Baraka are legal lol?

And I'm not saying it's impossible to get accidental morphs, I'm just saying they should be easily avoidable with the intents and purposes on the tourney rules in mind.
Yea people will most likely end up choosing the next best characters after the top 3. This isn't an issue though because these characters aren't as broken as the top 3. The remaining 9 characters can pretty much all compete with each other with only a couple exceptions. You have to be a more well rounded player to win without the top 3.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard

in general, Mileena is the best counter to every character. she's the only one Jax really has to work hard against to beat, coz he has the advantage against all others.

like Mike said, the remaining 9 can all compete pretty closely with each other. Reptile is the worst in MK2, but Baraka is actually mid-tier. if you've ever faced a top Baraka, you know how nasty he can be. there is almost nothing between Lao, Kitana, and Tsung- they're all arguably #4 on the tier list, so they will make for great matchups. Raiden is always in the mix as well.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Would anyone be against me seeding these tournaments going forward? I think we can all agree that we know who the top players are in this community based on performance. It would also ensure the top players don't play until later rounds.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
@ STRYKIE "where Scorp can't really do anything to Liu or Sub can't do anything to Jax etc."

Your Jax clearly hasn't faced my Sub.