What's new

EX Throws - 50/50s

Anyone else not fond of this? I was hoping they would get away from vortex setups, not make them more prominent. I'd just hate for this to be a game about getting the first hit and then ending every combo into a reset 50/50, rinse and repeat until dead or the other player guesses correctly. I know some character likely won't have an overhead and low option to make this happen, but the characters that do...

Maybe I'm alone?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Without knowing of other possible vortexes this isnt such a big deal. It's balanced because every character has the ability and it costs meter. In MK, combo breakers are a huge deal. Are you going to sacrifice your breaker for a 50/50 that may not work out? It will have it's place and you'll have to be aware of it. From what we currently know about the game, I feel it's balanced.

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.
I remember thinking when I heard Tyler say "50/50s" after EX throw that there would be some discussion about this on tym. It's an interesting mechanic. I'm curious to see how it pans out once the game is released, whether back dashes have invincibility frames like in IGAU and if that plays into the meta.

Everyone having a standing reset with advantage if they burn meter seems like it will play a big role in the game. But for me personally, I'm keeping an open mind until the game is released, because until then I assume a lot can change.

Good topic.

Last edited:

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Better than having characters with meterless standing resets that are like +2 seconds on hit.

Unless those are in too:eek:

Optimistically I'm hoping this is in the game because meterless vortexes are sparse among characters deliberately. If not, maybe you can tech them? I don't know, the bar of meter can be a huge investment to make this not become a thing.

I'm sure though one character is going to live of this tool.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Johnny Cage had (arguably) the best restand move in MK9. He could end every combo in a restand, just like the MB throw in MKX. Did that mean he was a 50/50 character and would win if he got the first touch until the opponent guessed correctly? No.

Kabal had an amazing restand that he could end every combo with, did that mean he had a 50/50 that would win the game if he started it? No.

Same for Skarlet.

Having a restand does NOT mean having a free 50/50.

Scorpion had a great restand and depended A LOT on his 50/50s. Was he broken and would win if he got the first touch? No. Was he a boring rinse and repeat character? No. He was tons of fun to play against and with and he wasn't even good. NOW IMAGINE IF HE HAD TO SPEND A BAR FOR EVERY RESTAND!

Stop thinking that having a restand for one bar means every character is going to be Batgirl. It's not. Some characters will have good 50/50s, sure. But the game won't be shit.

Get your shit together, people, and calm yer tittes. The game is going to be awesome.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I was in hate of this but 3 things to consider

1.Depends on Chars options after.
2.It cost 1 bar to use
3. You can tech throws mid combo's so while you being combo's you can just mash one or 2 no read necessary

IrishMantis

If someone is mashing high attacks because they're paranoid about me doing a MB throw mid-combo, not only have I scared my opponent shitless but can then duck and whiff punish for another full combo.
Its hard to tell now but ifs off a pop up im sure you will know that the combo ended and to stop mashing

IrishMantis

I'm sure some combos will be grounded. Mashing should be the last thing you do, it's not even a read.
prolly for standing ones, but i mash buttons for some reasons while im combo's and i have never pressed accidentally after a combo,

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
2 things:

1) Not every combo into grab will be optimal, in fact more often than not they'll be shorter and less damaging since throw range isn't fantastic.
Its not like you're getting a 40% BnB into throw (someone might, but eh), you'll usually be getting MAYBE a 23% combo into rethrow.

2) It costs a bar, can be teched, and in all honesty, you'd be better off spending the bar on an EX move since wake-ups are not fantastic in this game so you can still set up on people.

MB grab is fine, gives people a chance to use some things they otherwise wouldn't be able to work with because of long start-up times or a lack of safe approach options. Its risky, has drawbacks, and a 50/50 isn't going to be good for every character.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Burning meter for a Kabal f4 or Cage Nut-Punch, etc. is fine. I think the guy just says "50/50" for a simplistic explanation. I'm thinking more along the lines of additional pressure as opposed to 50/50.

Some characters might have great pressure strings or chip damage. Even if some characters do earn true 50/50's from it, it doesn't mean they'll be like Injustice's no-risk, all-reward chicken shit.

As far as teching throws mid combo... we haven't heard for sure, right? Teching throws while blocking strings makes sense. But teching a throw while being hit by a combo would be dumb. I doubt it works like that.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Hold up.. You cant link into regular grabs though.. Can you?
You can last I checked I.E. the reptile stream. I think he does it out of a n.j.p

On another note: If batgirl had to pay a bar for every 50/50, she probably wouldn't be as good.

Reactions: SLy