What's new

EX Shadow Kick is broke

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I was playing today and in a couple of matches just got straight up punched out of my EX Shadow Kick...WTF WHERE'S MY ARMOR???

I did a little testing on this. It seems to happen inconsistently and maybe even randomly. I really dont know. Anyone have any info on this bug?

Seems like NRS has made JC's armor a little shorter.

I've just tested it in training mode and I'm able to constantly stuff it with crouch pokes. I set CPU to always do a wake up. I uppercut, then backdash and D4 and my D4 beats EN Shadow Kick everytime. Something I know was not possible before.

EDIT: Scratch that, my D4 doesn't always beat it. It seems rather inconsistent. Sometimes it has armor, sometimes it doesn't. Pretty weird.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Never got it to happen on wake up with CPU. Tested with a few chars, Raiden always got hit by the shadow kick regardless of when I timed the D4, mileena it always went through her and other characters I tested had a mix of both usually. But never did the kick get stuffed.

In theory this shouldn't be possible either, ex shadow kick will hit in 8-9 frames from D4 range and the invulnerability window is now 10.

What character did you use that D4 beat it on wake up?

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Yesterday I used a full screen EX Shadow Kick to pass through CSZ Ice Beam. I got frozen exactly at 3/4 screen...we lost some armor :(.
Btw I think it is an acceptable nerf, we just have to be more careful now.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
PunisherAlive said:
Maybe it has armor for 3/4 of the animation or something in that direction?
Correct. Johnny Cage has no armor just as he is about to kick his opponent.

Apparently, this is not a glitch. It happens with Sub Zero's EX slide too.

Yesterday I used a full screen EX Shadow Kick to pass through CSZ Ice Beam. I got frozen exactly at 3/4 screen...we lost some armor :(.
Btw I think it is an acceptable nerf, we just have to be more careful now.
YESHH
:D

The red kick with armor on the full animation, was a lil braindead^

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Correct. Johnny Cage has no armor just as he is about to kick his opponent.

Apparently, this is not a glitch. It happens with Sub Zero's EX slide too.
Sub Zero only has armor 3/4th of the screen. I dunno if they changed JC's armor or not... but i've never been hit out of it AFTER startup.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
This is pretty lame TBH.
Along with the dash cancel nerf, this really makes it tough for Cage vs. Kabal

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Pre-Patch I would be able to ex shadow kick right through a clone + ice ball. Now I can't. Cage's EX shadow kick doesn't have super armor anymore.

Georgie

Ex Shadow Kick
Also sometimes when i ex shadow kick and stryker does a roll my shadow kick goes over the roll causing it not to hit. Reptiles dash also goes under.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Maybe they thought it was too good. Doesnt make any sense. I jsut dont like having to be as cautious about using it. It was a great move to finish up a round with but now you can get knocked out and sometimes eat full combo for doing it. Not cool...

Pre-Patch I would be able to ex shadow kick right through a clone + ice ball. Now I can't. Cage's EX shadow kick doesn't have super armor anymore.
I still do that lots. You can just wait for the ice ball to leave his hands. If he's on top of the clone, the kick will negate it.

Situational, of course.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Maybe they thought it was silly that Cage could easily just blow past his biggest weakness.
Except it wasn't that simple, number 1 he has to burn meter to do it and number 2 its extremely punishable on block so its not like you could abuse it.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Maybe they thought it was silly that Cage could easily just blow past his biggest weakness.
You're right! It's really easy to build meter when I'm zoned out, nut punch full-screen and his shitty projectiles do wonders. Not to mention the fact that EX shadow kick is horribly punishable on block. :yeradick:

Does NRS hate Johnny Cage or something? Every day since the patch Cage seems more and more neutered.
Certainly seems to be the case, he wasn't even placing that high in tournaments(outside UK), and he's one of the few balanced characters that don't excel at fucking everything; IE Kabal. I hate NRS.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Lets not forget the whole knocking the opponent across the screen and out of pressure thing as well. Lost a game after getting frozen by Cyber Subs EX Beam after I red kicked to finish him off. Froze me literally right in front of him. Thought I was going to snap my controller in half.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Lets not forget the whole knocking the opponent across the screen and out of pressure thing as well. Lost a game after getting frozen by Cyber Subs EX Beam after I red kicked to finish him off. Froze me literally right in front of him. Thought I was going to snap my controller in half.
Yeah, it's not even a very good option to begin with. I really would prefer if it put them in a F33 animation in which you can nut punch. NRS aren't a fan of resets though, but it's honestly all that JC has.

"All JC has" is the fact that the entire stage is like the corner to him and one nut punch can result in your near-victory tumbling like a house of cards.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
"All JC has" is the fact that the entire stage is like the corner to him and one nut punch can result in your near-victory tumbling like a house of cards.
And all of that requires him to actually get in, which is even harder to do with the dash nerf. Meanwhile a character like Kabal can do all of that, has a much better armored move for getting in when he needs to, and also happens to be one of the best zoners in the game.

Creepy00

Noob
This has happen to me alot when fighting my friend s JC, Every time i knock him down, i followed with sub's D4 and the ex flash kick will go through me without getting me or he receiving no damage. Is this only happening to JC cause i can swear this happen as well with Nw Ex Shoulder 0_o?