What's new

Evo Championships 2024 in Las Vegas July 19th-21st - $30,00 Prize Pool

"The Evolution Championship Series (Evo for short) is the largest and longest-running fighting game tournaments in the world. During Evo's flagship event each year, players and fans gather to compete in open format tournaments that crowns World Champions.At Evo, you'll see established champions face off against unknown rivals. You'll find players who have only fought online building real-life friendships and rivalries. You'll find people new to fighting games discovering a culture turning them into life-long fans. Everything that makes fighting games special is at the heart of Evo, and it is all in one place at Evo 2024!"

Mortal Kombat 1 at Evo this year has 645 entrants which is just okay if you ask me. With the start of the game and Pro Komp just coming to an end, there wasn't much at stake for folks to come out of pocket for Evo. It will likely be a two day event however so if you planning to watch I would set Friday and Saturday aside for MK specifically. We will see cause I found this "All 8 official tournament finals will be featured on Evo's main stage." Once the stream schedule is out I will add it in here on where and when to watch. Once pools are released I will add them here as well.

For those familiar with the event, this year is going to be quite different as it is the first year in a long time that it will not be at Mandalay Bay, and is now in the Las Vegas Convention Center. This means more of a walk and further distance from the strip and airport which could effect the attendee experience but we will see. More space and I heard crazier productions are in store.

Are you going? Will you be watching?

Last edited:

Comments

I've said it before, but I think it would benefit NRS if they had 2 separate MK games. 1 legacy, and 1 experimental like they do now.
I agree but also having them be actually separate games would cause a ton of issues both from a developer and customer standspoint, would rather have something like the Groove system from CVS2 or just separate game modes
Or even easier yet, prop up the older games either through rereleases with rollback and/or advertising for their competitive scenes (for the ones that already have rollback and players through emulation like UMK3), this way they can keep getting experimental with the main game while giving folks who prefer the old ways an easier way to play those games
MK9 Cyrax with an MK12 Groove would go crazy tbh

Last edited:
I agree but also having them be actually separate games would cause a ton of issues both from a developer and customer standspoint, would rather have something like the Groove system from CVS2 or just separate game modes
Or even easier yet, prop up the older games either through rereleases with rollback and/or advertising for their competitive scenes (for the ones that already have rollback and players through emulation like UMK3), this way they can keep getting experimental with the main game while giving folks who prefer the old ways an easier way to play those games
MK9 Cyrax with an MK12 Groove would go crazy tbh
The more I think of this, the more I realise it's an exceptionally difficult thing to tackle. Taking Tekken as an example. Namco decided to release legacy only games from T6 moving forward. If you liked T6 or it didn't bother you, you'd probably be ok with T7 and T8. On the other hand, if you hated T6 you'd be left out of luck since T7 and T8 had that game as their legacy. Street Fighter treads that line more carefully to the point they're extremely good at it.

For NRS, releasing remastered versions of older games, if possible, may be more realistic while they continue with their current model.

I guess, it is what it is and some people have to hold that like I hold it for more than 10 years since the last MK I enjoyed was MK9.

How is africa not able to play online, or even among themselves online a subjective reason?
An entire continent can't play this game, and yes the quality is definitely shit.
They had to Lie and bait consumers into pre-orders and can't refund ppl who active bought this piece of crap and can't even play it and the only thing they have been waiting for a whole year it's a fix to at least join the "fun" with everyone.
You seem passionate and genuine about your beliefs, which deserve a platform in my humble opinion.

Let me reach out to Tom Brady, and perhaps you can be the next guest on the podcast.

Please add m2dave on Discord.

For NRS, releasing remastered versions of older games, if possible, may be more realistic while they continue with their current model.
Pretty much yeah, just advertising tournaments for older games' that are mainly played through Fightcade or Dolphin these days would be more than enough as well

I wasn't aware that 110 is a huge loss for you.

Damn, son. Sucks to suck.
And with this, we've moved long past "reasonable" territory. Don't come in here judging peoples' monetary situations, man. Stick to telling them to play something else if they dislike this game as at least that makes sense. This though? This is just callous and disconnected from reality. Back off.

I've said it before, but I think it would benefit NRS if they had 2 separate MK games. 1 legacy, and 1 experimental like they do now.
I'd argue this would absolutely NOT benefit NRS. Splitting a playerbase makes you your own competition which is inherently a recipe for disaster. IF NRS wants to double down on legacy instead of reinventing themselves with every entry, that's up to them and a decision they should make without the reinvention. I feel it'd be a disaster if they, a developer of the least liked series in the major FGC community, chose to bifurcate themselves.

I do think they could profit from keeping a much more consistent level of legacy though. There's many a person, myself included, who has grown weary of NRS removing and/or entirely reinventing moves characters have had as far back as the OG MK.

I'd argue this would absolutely NOT benefit NRS. Splitting a playerbase makes you your own competition which is inherently a recipe for disaster. I feel it'd be a disaster if they, a developer of the least liked series in the major FGC community, chose to bifurcate themselves.
Exactly, also it'd make developing either game 10× harder cause they'd basically need to split the main dev team in two to work for either game then have to space out their releases further apart so that there isn't an MK game coming out every damn year on top of Injustice, and if you know anything about game development you'd know that this is basically killing your own company
Not only are the devs at NRS overworked and poorly paid already but by doing this you'd essentially double their work load, the devs may be able to make the games even under those conditions but they will most likely come out in an objectively horrible state
We all know how undeniably rushed NRS games are thanks to the 2 year cycle with just MK and Injustice, so adding another game onto the mix will only make it worse

The more I think of this, the more I realise it's an exceptionally difficult thing to tackle. Taking Tekken as an example. Namco decided to release legacy only games from T6 moving forward. If you liked T6 or it didn't bother you, you'd probably be ok with T7 and T8. On the other hand, if you hated T6 you'd be left out of luck since T7 and T8 had that game as their legacy. Street Fighter treads that line more carefully to the point they're extremely good at it.

I guess, it is what it is and some people have to hold that like I hold it for more than 10 years since the last MK I enjoyed was MK9.
Nah Tekken is down the drain to me starting with 7 And 8 is more of the same but different. Don't like 8 at all. That game is not Tekken. Neither are but 8 is on another planet. Lol no reason to be creative in that game. 7 was not very good to me but I played it. Put the least amount I've ever played a Tekken game in my life by like 20k hrs difference, not even a joke. T8 dropped and I haven't played it but one sitting with my friends to help them practice for a tournament In Raleigh. That shit will not be put onto my PS5 no time soon. lol literally IDK anyone that I know who actually knows how to play Tekken that likes t8 direction. From my circle to pro players. The game is good with what they wanted to do. It's just that the product that they wanted to make is not what I consider a Tekken game at all and I realized that they didn't make it for me. And that's ok. Difference is I understand that and I can dislike the game and give them props for what they wanted to do. they seemed to accomplish making it the way they want. It's just not for me at all. Tekken revolution was the absolute downfall in my eyes. Lol as soon as I saw a super move in t7 and whatever the armor was in that game, I knew Tekken wasn't aiming for me anymore. Lolol t8 just pushed it further outta my view. Sorry for the long post brother. Lol but 5 is my favorite. 4 had the best soundtrack. Jins theme in 3 is iconic. Hahah.

Nah Tekken is down the drain to me starting with 7 And 8 is more of the same but different. Don't like 8 at all. That game is not Tekken. Neither are but 8 is on another planet. Lol no reason to be creative in that game. 7 was not very good to me but I played it. Put the least amount I've ever played a Tekken game in my life by like 20k hrs difference, not even a joke. T8 dropped and I haven't played it but one sitting with my friends to help them practice for a tournament In Raleigh. That shit will not be put onto my PS5 no time soon. lol literally IDK anyone that I know who actually knows how to play Tekken that likes t8 direction. From my circle to pro players. The game is good with what they wanted to do. It's just that the product that they wanted to make is not what I consider a Tekken game at all and I realized that they didn't make it for me. And that's ok. Difference is I understand that and I can dislike the game and give them props for what they wanted to do. they seemed to accomplish making it the way they want. It's just not for me at all. Tekken revolution was the absolute downfall in my eyes. Lol as soon as I saw a super move in t7 and whatever the armor was in that game, I knew Tekken wasn't aiming for me anymore. Lolol t8 just pushed it further outta my view. Sorry for the long post brother. Lol but 5 is my favorite. 4 had the best soundtrack. Jins theme in 3 is iconic. Hahah.
Yeah. I've come to the same conclusion. They don't make Tekken for me anymore. I'm not really their target audience. Not only because of the gameplay direction they're heading, but the massive difference in the overall vibe and aesthetic of the game. Tekken used to have a very unique aesthetic to it, which I feel Tag1 encapsulates nicely. Nowadays it's just too anime for my taste.
T5 is my favourite too. I played so much of that game.

Yeah. I've come to the same conclusion. They don't make Tekken for me anymore. I'm not really their target audience. Not only because of the gameplay direction they're heading, but the massive difference in the overall vibe and aesthetic of the game. Tekken used to have a very unique aesthetic to it, which I feel Tag1 encapsulates nicely. Nowadays it's just too anime for my taste.
T5 is my favourite too. I played so much of that game.
Aye man I feel you. It is what it is. Lol

And with this, we've moved long past "reasonable" territory. Don't come in here judging peoples' monetary situations, man. Stick to telling them to play something else if they dislike this game as at least that makes sense. This though? This is just callous and disconnected from reality. Back off.

I'd argue this would absolutely NOT benefit NRS. Splitting a playerbase makes you your own competition which is inherently a recipe for disaster. IF NRS wants to double down on legacy instead of reinventing themselves with every entry, that's up to them and a decision they should make without the reinvention. I feel it'd be a disaster if they, a developer of the least liked series in the major FGC community, chose to bifurcate themselves.

I do think they could profit from keeping a much more consistent level of legacy though. There's many a person, myself included, who has grown weary of NRS removing and/or entirely reinventing moves characters have had as far back as the OG MK.
Lmfao! Damn, I wasn't aware you'd get so mad about a conversation you weren't fucking apart of.

Go outside.

No matter how much money you have, it doesn't change the fact you're acting like a total ass and the only thing that sucks here is your attitude towards others.
Surely you aren't surprised that I'm an asshole. I've been this way since the beginning. Don't like it? Hit that block button, baby!

Lmfao! Damn, I wasn't aware you'd get so mad about a conversation you weren't fucking apart of.

Go outside.
The irony of someone "clowning" on someone else about their monetary situation which has nothing to do with the game they're arguing about then telling someone to "go outside." Good on ya, mate.

I had no idea there was a rivalry going on between MK and Tekken, the fanbases are going at it on twitter and youtube, its crazy
Provide links to the tea, sis.

The irony of someone "clowning" on someone else about their monetary situation which has nothing to do with the game they're arguing about then telling someone to "go outside." Good on ya, mate.
And then for the other tool to say that the only wrong thing he said is that MK12 is a legitimate game
Actually stupid people

Provide links to the tea, sis.
Yeah, I stand by it. You care way too much about irrelevant fighting game forum drama.

ITT grown men white knight another grown ass man who isn't offended by the monetary comment. What tf has happened to this community?

I don't think anybody has stated they have a financial hardship over losing $110 and it's all a matter of principal. If you're so offended by the comment, PayPal him the money. It would only be $25-30 bucks between the lot of you. Maybe he can show you his breasts.

This community is ass.