What's new

Evo Championships 2024 in Las Vegas July 19th-21st - $30,00 Prize Pool

"The Evolution Championship Series (Evo for short) is the largest and longest-running fighting game tournaments in the world. During Evo's flagship event each year, players and fans gather to compete in open format tournaments that crowns World Champions.At Evo, you'll see established champions face off against unknown rivals. You'll find players who have only fought online building real-life friendships and rivalries. You'll find people new to fighting games discovering a culture turning them into life-long fans. Everything that makes fighting games special is at the heart of Evo, and it is all in one place at Evo 2024!"

Mortal Kombat 1 at Evo this year has 645 entrants which is just okay if you ask me. With the start of the game and Pro Komp just coming to an end, there wasn't much at stake for folks to come out of pocket for Evo. It will likely be a two day event however so if you planning to watch I would set Friday and Saturday aside for MK specifically. We will see cause I found this "All 8 official tournament finals will be featured on Evo's main stage." Once the stream schedule is out I will add it in here on where and when to watch. Once pools are released I will add them here as well.

For those familiar with the event, this year is going to be quite different as it is the first year in a long time that it will not be at Mandalay Bay, and is now in the Las Vegas Convention Center. This means more of a walk and further distance from the strip and airport which could effect the attendee experience but we will see. More space and I heard crazier productions are in store.

Are you going? Will you be watching?

Last edited:

Comments

If you had fun with MK9, it's likely because you were good at it. If you were good at MK9, you're likely not as good at MK1. Therefore MK1 feels less fun. It's not always just about the game, sometimes it's about you.

They could repackage MK9, put a little polish on it and call it MK13, and we'd likely have the exact same situation we do with MK1.

Retrospectively, the timeline is of little importance. The fact is that players provided Capcom feedback and issues were consequently resolved, unlike with Mortal Kombat 11 and Mortal Kombat 1.
My point is I don't think it's a fair comparison because I'm pretty sure it took a while before any major changes were made to SFV. Those were just the first two major gameplay changes I could recall.

If you had fun with MK9, it's likely because you were good at it. If you were good at MK9, you're likely not as good at MK1. Therefore MK1 feels less fun. It's not always just about the game, sometimes it's about you.

They could repackage MK9, put a little polish on it and call it MK13, and we'd likely have the exact same situation we do with MK1.
i think it has nothing to do with it.
Mk9 was fun and despite not being the best in some technical aspects it had it's potential.

over 10 years later MK1 it's definitely a terrible game compared to how polished MK11 was

over 10 years later MK1 it's definitely a terrible game compared to how polished MK11 was
MK1 is not a terrible game though. That's pure hyperbole. MK1 is on par with MK9, MKX, and MK11. It's sold well, gotten solid reviews both critically and from users, and has an active casual and competitive scene. From a quality, craftsman standpoint, it's a solid game.

Every time I ask someone to explain to me what they found fun about a game like MK9, inevitably it's a list of things that also exist in MK1 that are just different than MK1, and it simply devolves into a bunch of subjective reasons why they thought MK9 is fun and MK1 isn't.

I think the reason people find certain games fun is a lot more dependent on external factors than some are willing to admit.

That's honestly news to me. So, according to you the following moves are not meta somehow:
  1. Khameleon fan lift
  2. Kano ball
  3. Goro punch
  4. Stryker nades
I think we need to be honest and face some facts if we want to see change.
Stryker is hardly used at the moment after the nerf. He's an optional pick but definitely isn't dominant in the current meta.

Khameleon isn't a single-attack Kameo. People use everything she has: sais, jade glaive, fan lift, glow, occasional overheads ets.

Likewise with Kano. It's just as common to see knives as the ball.

MK1 is not a terrible game though. That's pure hyperbole. MK1 is on par with MK9, MKX, and MK11. It's sold well, gotten solid reviews both critically and from users, and has an active casual and competitive scene. From a quality, craftsman standpoint, it's a solid game.

Every time I ask someone to explain to me what they found fun about a game like MK9, inevitably it's a list of things that also exist in MK1 that are just different than MK1, and it simply devolves into a bunch of subjective reasons why they thought MK9 is fun and MK1 isn't.

I think the reason people find certain games fun is a lot more dependent on external factors than some are willing to admit.
How is africa not able to play online, or even among themselves online a subjective reason?
An entire continent can't play this game, and yes the quality is definitely shit.
They had to Lie and bait consumers into pre-orders and can't refund ppl who active bought this piece of crap and can't even play it and the only thing they have been waiting for a whole year it's a fix to at least join the "fun" with everyone.

I was reading a tweet from Fox today that talked about how much they liked mk1. I think it's interesting how polarizing this game is. Awhile back, Rewind also said that he enjoyed the game despite it's flaws.

People wanted a game with a lot of freedom and creativity, and they got it with the MK1 Kameo system. You have stuff like Janet Cage and Mavado making combo routes possible from moves that normally don't combo, set up Kameos that can change how a character plays.

Looking at a Mileena player that uses Scorpion as a Kameo vs one that uses Kung Lao, and they play very differently. I don't see a problem with that at all.

And from playing a lot, I see a lot of different Kameos. For awhile there, I was seeing Quan Chi and Tremor as a pairing, Tremor giving Quan the ability to launch with Sky Drop.

That's awesome. People wanted freedom and creativity, and they got it. People bitch about doing a special into Kameo and I'm really not sure why. It's something both players have access to and I've seen top players do a d2 or make the read and duck Goro up punch. And there's always points where you can armor. It's part of why nearly every character has string gaps for armoring and flawless blocking.

Don't like Baraka stuff into knives? Flawless block, now you've taken no chip damage and he's spent Kameo bar. Now you might say this is hard but.....get good? Fighting games are hard. Such is life.

I often wonder if some of this game's biggest critics actually engage with it's mechanics in good faith. How often are you flawless blocking or armoring gaps, upblocking overheads, etc? I know for a fact that I still don't do it consistently and I enjoy the game.

Tldr; spend more time practicing the answers and less time demanding that NRS make the game you want.

Cause let me let you in on a secret:

In MK9's heyday, top players and people on these forums bitched about it constantly. It was called a party game.

Same for Injustice.
Same for MKX
Injustice 2
MK11

I think it's written into player DNA to hate our own games. League and Overwatch players do it, too.

How is africa not able to play online, or even among themselves online a subjective reason?
An entire continent can't play this game, and yes the quality is definitely shit.
They had to Lie and bait consumers into pre-orders and can't refund ppl who active bought this piece of crap and can't even play it and the only thing they have been waiting for a whole year it's a fix to at least join the "fun" with everyone.
Idk man.

I think you're just salty you can't play it. You should just play Tekken. You don't need to constantly shitpost about a game you don't like.

Stryker is hardly used at the moment after the nerf. He's an optional pick but definitely isn't dominant in the current meta.

Khameleon isn't a single-attack Kameo. People use everything she has: sais, jade glaive, fan lift, glow, occasional overheads ets.

Likewise with Kano. It's just as common to see knives as the ball.
Stryker got nerfed, players immediately went to the next kameo that offers the same utility. My point was, these kameos are meta because of these moves. Nerf one, and as long another one exists players will immediately go to that one.

Cyrax kopter got nerfed -> everyone started using Stryker nades -> Stryker nades got nerfed -> everyone started using Goro punch, Kano ball/knifes and Khameleon.

If Goro punch, Kano ball and Khameleon fan lift get the Cyrax kopter treatment, players will immediately go back to Stryker. It's a vicious cycle of a degen meta.

Peacemaker got destroyed so Khameleon and Kano can live doing the exact same thing over and over again.

Stryker got nerfed, players immediately went to the next kameo that offers the same utility. My point was, these kameos are meta because of these moves. Nerf one, and as long another one exists players will immediately go to that one.

Cyrax kopter got nerfed -> everyone started using Stryker nades -> Stryker nades got nerfed -> everyone started using Goro punch, Kano ball/knifes and Khameleon.

If Goro punch, Kano ball and Khameleon fan lift get the Cyrax kopter treatment, players will immediately go back to Stryker. It's a vicious cycle of a degen meta.

Peacemaker got destroyed so Khameleon and Kano can live doing the exact same thing over and over again.
Play a different game. This one clearly isn't for you.

Not only was the game fun (amazingly so), the community was Hype af. People would be talking crap all the damn time. The current community legit hug after rounds. "Sorry I won buddy, you will get me next time, let's go share a vanilla malt with one straw."
The atmosphere in the FGC in the mid 2000s and early 2010s was very different. As fighting games continue becoming a part of esports, players are incentivized to behave professionally in order to attract sponsors. I blame Mortal Kombat 1 and the apologists for the low tournament numbers, but the lack of hype because of less "crap talking" is an issue that is largely independent from the game in my opinion.

I think the main problem with the game is the Kameo system. Kameos are just a variation of variations. But instead of a variations being locked to one particular character now all characters have access to all the variations essentially.

The first problem with this is that the base characters feel bland and lackluster. Especially characters like scorpion and sub zero. Their move sets are so small and uninspiring. Its obvious that the devs meant for the Kameos to be the fill in for the main characters lack of moves but I think if you are a big fan of a character like scorpion you'd rather he have an expansive moveset all on his own rather than having to fill in his holes with a Kameos.

The 2nd problem is that if your favorite character is Kameo and not a main character it fills like a punch in the nuts since you don't really get to control him/her and basically can only call 3 to 4 of their special moves as assist. My favorite characters in the MK series are Cyrax, Jax, Jaqui, Tremor, Kung Jin, and Kotal. All those characters are either missing in this game or aren't fully playable characters. I'm sure this issues is a part of the reason why some players don't like this game. Imagine all the bitching that would happen if Scorpion was ONLY a Kameo. Well that feeling is the feeling a lot of players have when their favorite characters are Kameo only.

Obviously this game has sold well and is probably considered a success by NRS standards but I think if the most passionate members of your community aren't showing up (tournament players) it shows that your game isn't dealing well with your hardcore audience.

I really think NRS needs to get away from the Variation shit they seem to be stuck on and just make full fleshed our characters again. I think part of the appeal of SF6 and Tekken 8 is that everyone who plays a certain character all has access to the same moveset. So if I like Kazuya and see some player pull off a crazy combo or have tournament success I can strive to be like him. Where as in MK1 you might see someone playing your main character doing well in tourny, but he's using a Kameo that you aren't using that allows him to do combos or setups that you don't have access to with your current Kameo. So basically he's using strategies you cant emulate unless to switch characters. It kind of kills the hype of spectating IMO.

Anyway, I haven't touched this game in Months and probably won't ever touch it again unless they add a main character I really like. But congrats to all the people who enjoy the game I guess. NRS's last three game have all disappointed me so I don't know if I am going to buy the next but I hope they make some radical changes in their design philosophy going forward.

Normally by now everyone would be pretending they actually loved mk11, but y'all are really sticking to your guns.

I really like the idea that 8000 players would register and travel for other games, but only 700 could defeat the insurmountable odds of finding a copy of MK1.

And the notion Asia doesn't have YouTube or imports or proxys or emulators and therefore just have no idea how great this game is, but 3s is some celebrated US institution?

That's why I'll never stop lurking here.