What's new

Evo and NRS Commentary

Aris is with out a doubt one of the most entertaining casters and that is the most important thing. It is better to be entertaining than "knowledgeable". My own preference is The Condiment Brothers. They are probably the best commentators in the NRS scene. Also Aris is really critical about MK. The last few times i saw him cast all he did was complain and shit all over the game, it was like watching Tom Brady cast. If he can resist hating on MK I still think Aris is the go to guy, as his casts are the "best".

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Yeah it's not that I don't think Aris isn't pretty damn entertaining; I''m a big fan of ATP and most of his commentary appearances. I just think that when the game is on the big stage, we have people that have the potential to be just as entertaining without the constant self-promotion and can give every match the same attention because of the storyline knowledge

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
By dream commentary team would be 16bit and Arma. But I'd just be happy to get a good NRS commentator whoever it is.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Aris for Top 8, he knows enough about the game & yeah it aint the most "E=Sports" stuff out there but it's entertaining, it's fun, & you can balance that out wtih the right partner which I think last year did well.
Aris is pretty entertaining and I like him, but the point is moreso about having people who are really familiar with the game and the people playing. Player stories, history, and intricate game knowledge should always be a part of it. Aris probably doesn't know that much and David, while he does his research, probably has a lot of gaps in his knowledge. So it's important for us to get someone from our scene, and we have a lot of great candidates for it.

Aris is with out a doubt one of the most entertaining casters and that is the most important thing. It is better to be entertaining than "knowledgeable". My own preference is The Condiment Brothers. They are probably the best commentators in the NRS scene. Also Aris is really critical about MK. The last few times i saw him cast all he did was complain and shit all over the game, it was like watching Tom Brady cast. If he can resist hating on MK I still think Aris is the go to guy, as his casts are the "best".
Think this is a great point. People tend to forget it has to be entertaining to the CASUAL fan and not us hardcore MKX players. We're trying to draw NEW people into the community. Aris is without a doubt one of the most entertaining casters, i would back him to commentate top 8 at EVO, provided he does shit a bit less on the game and maybe play the game a bit more.

Just remember wrt casters, entertaining diehard MKX fans isn't the priority, entertaining the casual player base is! That's how it goes mainstream etc. etc.

E

Eldriken

Commentators can be entertaining and knowledgeable at the same time.

If I was looking to seriously get into a game, I'd prefer to be fed accurate information, even at the cost of not being entertained. But then again, there are people who are interested in learning the game, but only at a casual level and would prefer to be entertained than bestowed knowledge upon.

I personally feel that Kitana Prime strikes a perfect balance in every way to attract new people to the game and to keep people interested. He knows a lot about the community, its history, the game, is very entertaining, etc.

JDM

Noob
NRS commentary is pretty much terrible besides like 5 people. My votes go to Aris Ultradavid. Or Ultradavid Darth Arrma orrrr if we're going pure NRS Arma/Prime.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Commentators can be entertaining and knowledgeable at the same time.

If I was looking to seriously get into a game, I'd prefer to be fed accurate information, even at the cost of not being entertained. But then again, there are people who are interested in learning the game, but only at a casual level and would prefer to be entertained than bestowed knowledge upon.
I get what people are saying about entertainment being the key thing, especially for casual viewers. But it gets people a lot more interested and invested in what they're watching when they learn about the players and how the characters work, rather than being fed vague descriptions.

Like, imagine if the first round of top 8 was Whiteboi vs Noobe. They have hella interesting backstories and histories between each other. But as far as David and Aris are concerned, it might just be "some guy vs that jenson player". Imagine some crazy new tech comes into play, they might just be like "oh that was interesting", while someone with intricate knowledge of the game can get legitimately hype about what just happened.

The entertainment factor needs to be there too. But it shouldn't be just one or the other.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Any combination of KP, UltraDavid, Bit and WonderChef would be fine.

But if I had to choose and if they aren't in Top 8... tandem Condiment Bros is the ONLY choice for finals IMO.

K&M do a great job of not only commentating the match, but providing backstory, giving accurate insight as to the mindset of the competitors, raising their voice and intensity to match the hype of the match and explaining why something just happened to a casual fan. At ESL finals one of them said, "He did that to go plus, which means you can move before your opponent.". Then didn't skip a beat commentating the match. They also do a great job of alternating play by play and color. While I think the four mentioned above could offer the same, K&M have PROVEN that they can deliver commentary that walks line between hardcore catering and casual friendly that EVO finals deserves.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Arma is a wildcard IMO because he's usually the one running the show on commentary while his partner takes a back seat. I'd have to hear/see how he could interact with another big personality.

16Bit and Aris I think could be awesome if they're able to play off each other and have mutual respect for each other's spots in the community. Again, there's the potential that they could end stepping on each other's toes, but I can see it working out more.

Aris's strengths are his wordsmithery and his following. Sure, he's not intimately involved with the community, but his ability to get the crowd and stream monsters going is undeniable. The beefs and storylines can be easily researched tbh.

16Bit has a very strong resume as a retired competitor and NRS employee; I don't think it would be hard for him to land the gig at all.

While I think KP is awesome on commentary and quite knowledgeable, his delivery is more subdued and he doesn't get himself going; just not his personality. He's the kind of commentator you want on an alt audio stream giving you the play by play, but his voice doesn't lend itself to the main stage as-is. He also runs into the issue of not knowing how to jump in -- look no further than his commentary with Blake and you can see that he'll quickly take a back seat to an aggressive co-commentator.

Wasn't Tyler Lansdown an Evo commentator at one point with Derek? Or was that a different tournament?

Like, imagine if the first round of top 8 was Whiteboi vs Noobe. They have hella interesting backstories and histories between each other. But as far as David and Aris are concerned, it might just be "some guy vs that jenson player". Imagine some crazy new tech comes into play, they might just be like "oh that was interesting", while someone with intricate knowledge of the game can get legitimately hype about what just happened.
Are you aware that I invented multiple MKX techs so interesting that NRS had to specifically patch them out, or that when Whiteboi switched from F/T to Jason I told him he was making a mistake, he told me I was sleeping on Jason, and then the next tournament I saw him at he said I was right

edit: my current favorite exclusively-nrs-scene commentators are ketchup, mustard, & kitana prime. but i like how chef & godspeed have stepped up! i wish 16 bit hadn't stopped but that's up to him or his work of course. aris is awesome and some of my most fun commentary sessions ever have been with him.

Last edited:

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
can we put this to a poll? i personally lean towards 16 bit and brady. 16 bit brings a sense of humor that i really enjoy, like Aris but less quirky and with serious game knowledge. And i dont think anyone can hold a candle to brady on the hype front. those were two of the biggest comentators back in MK9's hay day. id take Arma as a solid runner up as well.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Are you aware that I invented MKX tech so interesting that NRS had to specifically patch it out, or that when Whiteboi switched from F/T to Jason I told him he was making a mistake, he told me I was sleeping on Jason, and then the next tournament I saw him at he said I was right
lol someones tryna call David out and uses an example of him not knowing what to say in a GRAPPLER match up? oh too good. followed by accusing David of saying vague stuff like 'thats interesting' while David has put out videos addressing that aspect of his own commentary in commentary on commentary. and he already doesnt do that often, and now hes like aware of it and actively trying to get rid of it.