What's new

EVO 2018 Results

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
In a shocking turn of events, the Injustice 2 Top 8 took place on stream today. In a significantly less shocking turn of events, TYM has got the results and play-by-play for those of you who couldn't tune in to watch it live. Did Poison Ivy comes out as secret top 5? Did the US give the medal to a Canadian? Did Noble sweep the third major in a row?

You can get the answers to those questions in the spoiler below. The Top 8 going into it was:

Winner's
Noble Rewind (Blue Beetle) vs. Noble Semiij (Catwoman)
BigD (Poison Ivy) vs. Echo Fox SonicFox (Red Hood)

Loser's
bc Biohazard (Harley Quinn/Bane) vs. Noble Tweedy (Starfire/Fate)
PG Hayatei (Robin) vs. Method SylverRye (Hellboy)

The Injustice Pro Series is getting pretty close to locked in, but we have a few events to go before we have our final tally. Next up is the EU online qualifier and then SCR in September, we'll be keeping you posted on all of that for sure. Until then, enjoy the rest of EVO (unless you are one of those guys that only cares about Injustice 2, then go do something else).

First up on Winner's side was the People's Champion Big D playing Echo Fox Sonic Fox. Big D was keeping the dream alive with his Poison Ivy while Sonic dropped Red Hood for Firestorm. In a relatively close pair of games, Sonic went up 2-0 over Big D. After a breather, Big D had Sonic against the ropes for game 3, but one Firestorm trait vortex gave Sonic the final lifebar and the win at 3-0.

Next we had Noble Rewind playing Noble Semiij, the current CEO champion. Both were rocking the characters that got them to this Top 8, Blue Beetle and Catwoman respectively. Rewind went up game 1, not looking at all phased by his training partner and War of the Gods rival. However, Semiij.exe finally finished buffering, and he met him with a win of his own in game 2. In a super close game 3, Semiij dropped the final combo and allowed Rewind to come back to take the next win. Game 4 ended up being the deciding match, with Rewind winning another close set and advancing through Winner's 3-1.

Now on to Loser's, we got started with bc Biohazard against Noble Tweedy. In a surprise pick by both, Biohazard brought out his Viennality winning Cheetah against Tweedy's Dr. Fate. After losing game 1, Tweedy hopped straight to character select to bust out his Starfire against this flying damage machine. The switch was like night and day, Tweedy came back hard for game 2, not even losing the first health bar. Looking to get things back under control, Biohazard swapped out for his Starfire, but Tweedy was not phased by the mirror pick. Down down 2 games, Biohazard went with his long lost Black Manta. Unfortunately, Tweedy was not going down today, winning the final game and moving on 3-1.

Following that set, we have Method Sylverrye playing PG Hayatei. This DC/Dark Horse cross-over would finally answer the age old question "Who would win in a fight: Hellboy or Robin?". It was not looking good for Robin, Hayatei took game 1 with the Harbinger of the Apocalypse. With some knowledge now under his belt, Hayatei hit back hard and took game 2 one combo shy of getting the perfect. In game 3, Sylverrye was able to get things back under control, but Hayatei was still able to secure the win. However, Hayatei was able to adjust to those adjustments, and won the next game, taking the set 3-1.

Next on the list was the Noble team-kill (the actual one), with Semiij vs. Tweedy. The CEO champion's Catwoman faced off against the Combo Breaker champion's Dr. Fate in the CEO Grand Finals runback. Tweedy went up game 1, making it very difficult for Semiij to even get close enough to land a hit. Game 2 looked a bit better, but Tweedy looked like a man who's been drilling this MU for months. Semiij made some more progress in game 3, but Tweedy was able to close things out 3-0.

Now we had People's Champ Big D's Poison Ivy vs. PG Hayatei's Robin. Big D was looking great in game 1, taking down Hayatei with a full second health bar. Hayatei.exe kicked into overdrive for game 2 and Hayatei tied things up at 1-1. In a super close game 3, Big D clutched out a hype win to put himself that much closer to Loser's finals. With a surprise thorn special to take the final hit, Big D won the set 3-1 and sent Hayatei home.

Back to Winner's, Sonic Fox went up against Rewind. Sonic went back to Red Hood while Rewind broke his Blue Beetle streak with a Black Adam pick. Game 1 going down to the wire, Rewind secured game 1 with some tricky divekick setups. Game 2, Sonic didn't give Rewind a chance to pull off the same moves and locked down the win without losing much of his life. Rewind returned the favor in the next game, going up 2-1 Sonic in a similar fashion. Looking at the wrong side of Winner's Sonic switched to Firestorm. The change didn't seem to make much of a difference, Rewind defeated Sonic Fox 3-1 and secured his spot in Grand Finals.

Now in Loser's, playing for the match against Sonic, was People's Champ Big D against Noble Tweedy. Tweedy opted for Starfire against D's Poison Ivy. After a close game 1, Big D won with a raw D2 and Tweedy hopped right back into the rematch. Matching him game for game, Big D took a minute to compose himself after Tweedy found some ways to deal with Ivy's trait. With an insane read in game 3, Big D closed out the next game with a full damage restand, bringing the score up 2-1 in his favor. Facing elimination, Tweedy fought back hard in the next game to tie things up 2-2. When it was all said and done, Tweedy secured the win 3-2 and advanced on to Loser's Finals.

In an interesting turn of events, Sonic Fox decided to meet Tweedy in Loser's Finals with a Starfire mirror. With a solid game 1 victory, Tweedy popped off on Sonic, daring him to keep going with the character. Sonic, being himself, met the challenge head on and went down another game. Looking at tournament elimination, Sonic broke out Black Manta, hoping that character could carry him to a reverse 3-0. Finally getting things under control, Tweedy swapped over to Dr. Fate for game 4. The character swap was a smart one, and Tweedy defeated Sonic Fox 3-1 and advanced to Grand Finals.

Final match of EVO 2018 was going to secure another trophy for Noble regardless of the outcome. Rewind broke out the Catwoman, Tweedy stuck it out with Fate. Tweedy almost made a comeback in game 1, with some smart usage of the healing orbs and trait to keep himself alive, but Rewind clutched out the first win. With a strong win in game 2, Tweedy sent Rewind back to the character select screen, where he simply opted for a stage swap. That appeared to be all he needed, Rewind melted Tweedy's first health bar, and put Tweedy too far behind to catch up. Rewind started off game 3 just as strong, forcing Tweedy to get more aggressive if he was going to keep himself in this. With things closing in, both players down to one-touch and no clash, Rewind was able to finish the set 3-1 and won the title of EVO 2018 champion.

Surrounded by a gaggle of NRS players, you could see the stunned look on Rewind's face as he realized that he just won the title of NRS champion (until the IPS championships). The man took down the best players in the scene to get here, so there's no saying this victory wasn't earned. Having locked his spot in the IPS Finals later this year, he'll make sure to secure the title and get some more Top 8s along the way.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
That last pic of Rewind with Tweedy looking at him in the background could make for some funny memes by adding a "Tweedy's thought bubble". Great stuff everyone in Top 8, congrats to all!!
I didn't realize that until after I grabbed that snip, but I liked the shot of Rewind's face with the EVO CHAMPION banner too much to care

Matix218

Get over here!
This was a really great tourney. We may not have the biggest numbers but the hype is still there. I dont even play injustice 2 (I am an MK guy mainly and decided to "sit this game out" due to family and work commitments) but I am really enjoying watching this game evolve. They will never get the respect that Capcom has overall but NRS puts out a better and more polished product each time and I think the future is bright.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
This was a really great tourney. We may not have the biggest numbers but the hype is still there. I dont even play injustice 2 (I am an MK guy mainly and decided to "sit this game out" due to family and work commitments) but I am really enjoying watching this game evolve. They will never get the respect that Capcom has overall but NRS puts out a better and more polished product each time and I think the future is bright.
I feel like the NRS scene needs to consistently show up and not just bitch. Like, the MvC:I community was left dry this year, they still organized and had a huge thing going on their end. The numbers for the finals stream-wise were actually pretty decent IIRC, but it's typically a "nobody watches but the community wants to close out Sunday" situation (hyperbolic). Probably just due to that "two year cycle" mentality, hopefully this lull snaps people out of it.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Poor big D , he was clearly better player in match vs tweedy but simply lost cuz of broken starfire .

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Big D Vs. Tweedy, Poison Ivy Vs. Starfire, was the highlight of the tournament for sure. That was a set between 2 of my own roster of IJ2 mains, so it was even more special for me personally. I didn't care who would win, but Big D taking Poison Ivy to top 4 is already a huge deal, no question.

Huge kudos to Rewind for taking EVO, I believe that if Tweedy would've gone for the backwards Air Escape rather then the upwards one, he might have won the match and continue the set. In any case, huge kudos to them both, and for all the players in this top 8. It was an awesome one for sure.

Yeah classic EVO moment here. That was dope.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Congrats to all the Top 8 placers, some of whom have been working super hard over a long period of time, IPS offseason included, to make this happen.

Rewind winning is awesome, and imo says good things about the competitive scene.

This EVO should permanently put to rest the question of whether INJ2 is built to be exciting as a tournament game. It is.

People will like or dislike certain metas, but this game at the highest level is pretty thrilling to watch — and it’s the players and their stories, struggles, and performances that make the matches memorable.

Rizz091

Noob
This tournament was super hype. I thoroughly enjoyed every match. I think this tourney showed how much we still have to discover. Congrats to Rewind and the rest of top 8.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Sonic could be a genius. My mind game plays is weak as hell compared to him....

For those that do not know... Sonic pulled some old school arcade rules on Go1 in the DBZ gran finals. Yeah I know he is to young for arcade.,..

It works like this as a official Evo Rule... if the players can not decide on seat positions at the start of the game, then they flip a coin. Then next game the looser has the option to choose his seat. This is a long standing Evo rule, but rarely used.

Sonic used this after loosing match 1 in grand finals to drop to loosers. A lot of people are crying fowl.. but it is 100% a legit and existing rule he took advantage of.

But it wasn't about seating. It was next level mind games to break Go1's momentum and get him thinking about anything but the game, while Sonic collected himself.

Mad respect. Playing all aspects of the FGC.. the games and the mind games. Sonic is an elite.. no doubt.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole

For those that do not know... Sonic pulled some old school arcade rules on Go1 in the DBZ gran finals. Yeah I know he is to young for arcade.,..

It works like this as a official Evo Rule... if the players can not decide on seat positions at the start of the game, then they flip a coin. Then next game the looser has the option to choose his seat. This is a long standing Evo rule, but rarely used.

Sonic used this after loosing match 1 in grand finals to drop to loosers. A lot of people are crying fowl.. but it is 100% a legit and existing rule he took advantage of.

But it wasn't about seating. It was next level mind games to break Go1's momentum and get him thinking about anything but the game, while Sonic collected himself.

Mad respect. Playing all aspects of the FGC.. the games and the mind games. Sonic is an elite.. no doubt.

SlyFox.

SunsetBlvd

Proven Nappa GOD, 100% VERIFIED Best Nappa NA
Just want to pay my respects to Tweedy for his run. He has become a genuinely great representative of our scene. I have no way of knowing this, but from his placements and tournament presence, and some of his posts on here, it seems like I2 has been a bit of a battle for him. We all play FGs to grow, one way or another. The battle is the whole fucking point. It's supposed to be hard, especially in the beginning, and a lot of people quit.

But if you don't quit, you get stronger. And then you may find yourself on the main stage at EVO, obliterating the greatest competitive furry in the world, daring him to mirror you again. Then he does, and you shit on him once more. Finally he submits and switches, and that's when you know you've got him beat. Bravo Tweedy. Enjoy the fuck out of this.

I even forgive you for posting on here many months ago that Sub was potentially Top 5, let's call it a brief moment of delusion on the way to greatness.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!

He is not just a genius, he is a genius fighting game god. And he is from us, taking 3rd place in IJ2 AND 1st place in DBFZ. Huge kudos to him.

MK9

Noob
If he cared about Injustice he would have won, he dedicated himself to a game and won that game.

As far as the Starfire mirror, you better hope he does not care about that pop off, cause if he learns that character he will come back an embarrass you with her.