What's new

EVO 2018 Lineup Announced

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
They could draw 100,000 entrants and I'd still be annoyed at seeing not one but TWO Smash party games at EVO.

Every year there's more and more games I don't care about. I look forward to Injustice 2 and Tekken 7, though.

its understandable that inj2 is only on saturday. its not the most popular competitive fighting game in the world.
this comming from a nrs player.
btw, nrs fanboys dont even need to quote me cos i dont care.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Jokes aside I kind of feel for the Marvel guys. Don't get me wrong I think the game is doody but I know how it felt when I realized a game I loved was dying and then it wasn't announced for EVO...it sucks.

Talking about KI btw.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Whatever happened with the backlash about Blazblue Cross Tag Team having 20 characters and another 20 characters being DLC?
Prices came out (Japan anyway). So this isn't a $60 game with a $40-$50 season pass, this will be a $40-$50 game with a $20-$30 season pass. Which is pretty good considering it costs $100 to get everything in Injustice, Marvel, Dragonball, ($150?) if you grabbed SFV at launch, $90 for Guilty Gear, insert other games here.
Jokes aside I kind of feel for the Marvel guys. Don't get me wrong I think the game is doody but I know how it felt when I realized a game I loved was dying and then it wasn't announced for EVO...it sucks.

Talking about KI btw.
In fairness to KI, being console exclusive killed it. If you could play it on PS4, I think you'd see a strong community for it. Marvel died (I know it still has other majors, but let's not pretend like it's in a good place) because of decisions made by Disney (I'm putting the blame squarely on Disney, not Capcom) that anyone could have seen were going to hurt sales.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Prices came out (Japan anyway). So this isn't a $60 game with a $40-$50 season pass, this will be a $40-$50 game with a $20-$30 season pass. Which is pretty good considering it costs $100 to get everything in Injustice, Marvel, Dragonball, ($150?) if you grabbed SFV at launch, $90 for Guilty Gear, insert other games here.

In fairness to KI, being console exclusive killed it. If you could play it on PS4, I think you'd see a strong community for it. Marvel died (I know it still has other majors, but let's not pretend like it's in a good place) because of decisions made by Disney (I'm putting the blame squarely on Disney, not Capcom) that anyone could have seen were going to hurt sales.
Agreed! I would have looooooved to play KI during its lifespan, but I play on PS4 and that hurts. Hopefully in the future if another is made, it will be on both consoles. We can only dream.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Agreed! I would have looooooved to play KI during its lifespan, but I play on PS4 and that hurts. Hopefully in the future if another is made, it will be on both consoles. We can only dream.
It's possible, I think Killer Instinct got the SFV deal with Microsoft. It's just that the SFV deal was going to dictate which console was supported by the FGC and the KI deal dictated what some people decided to buy when the two consoles came out

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
3 Anime games lol.
Just a few years ago it was a miracle to get just one anime game.

No Marvel is still silly though, either Mr Wiz hates it, or there is some shit with Disney going on in the background, since I'm pretty sure if Marvel is considered dead, then I2 must be a rotting corpse.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
3 Anime games lol.
Just a few years ago it was a miracle to get just one anime game.

No Marvel is still silly though, either Mr Wiz hates it, or there is some shit with Disney going on in the background, since I'm pretty sure if Marvel is considered dead, then I2 must be a rotting corpse.
That photo I posted at the start of this thread was from the GFs for Battle for the Stones, what was supposed to be the biggest Marvel event this year. If that's not dead, I don't know what is

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
That photo I posted at the start of this thread was from the GFs for Battle for the Stones, what was supposed to be the biggest Marvel event this year. If that's not dead, I don't know what is
Just to be sure, is this the amount of people during the finals of the event and not at the beginning when everyone is can still kinda late? Because that might change the whole conclusion of this. Not saying it isn't true, just wanna be 100% sure.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Just to be sure, is this the amount of people during the finals of the event and not at the beginning when everyone is can still kinda late? Because that might change the whole conclusion of this. Not saying it isn't true, just wanna be 100% sure.
To be honest, not sure. I just grabbed the picture off of Twitter. There's also the caveat that SFV was so ridiculous this year that why would you bother going to watch Marvel? What I'm mainly getting at is we can't act like Marvel is still a thriving game and this is a huge travesty.

There's a difference between the Injustice 2 lull and the Marvel one. They've both been impacted by DBZF, sure. But Injustice 2 is slowing down because people want MK11 (this is what I've been gathering from the responses between our Injustice articles and the MK ones) but people are still playing Injustice in the meantime. While Marvel is slowing down because people were turned off by the roster, graphics and DLC character choices and it seems like DBZF drained away casuals who would have stuck it out.

Last edited:

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
To be honest, not sure. I just grabbed the picture off of Twitter. There's also the caveat that SFV was so ridiculous this year that why would you bother going to watch Marvel? What I'm mainly getting at is we can't act like Marvel is still a thriving game and this is a huge travesty.

There's a difference between the Injustice 2 lull and the Marvel one. They've both been impacted by DBZF, sure. But Injustice 2 is slowing down because people want MK11 (this is what I've been gathering from the responses between our Injustice articles and the MK ones) while Marvel is slowing down because people were turned off by the roster, graphics and DLC character choices and it seems like DBZF drained away casuals who would have stuck it out.
True, but another thing to point out is that the MVCi touneys have shit support from their own team. They treat the ppl competing like shit, and that also plays a big impact as well. Overall, virtually NOBODY cares to see this game grow. Whereas, Injustice 2...AT LEAST the tournament contestants are treated fairly, and still have hype in the competitive circuit. Which i feel is the reason why they barely got a spot, even if its on Saturday, they have a spot.

Im just looking forward to Sonic Fox exposing how broken TMNT is gonna be during tournament time lol

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
they backpedaled and gave us 2 free DLC so the FGC is appeased now.

Yeah it was during the finals people didn't bother watching it and went to watch SFV instead but tbf the tournament was a shit show and pretty confusing.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There's a difference between the Injustice 2 lull and the Marvel one. They've both been impacted by DBZF, sure. But Injustice 2 is slowing down because people want MK11 (this is what I've been gathering from the responses between our Injustice articles and the MK ones) but people are still playing Injustice in the meantime. While Marvel is slowing down because people were turned off by the roster, graphics and DLC character choices and it seems like DBZF drained away casuals who would have stuck it out.
Honestly, no one's really mentioned MK11 -- I think this is just a natural lull after the Pro Tour ended. Especially since the tour was so compressed, everyone deserves a break afterwards.

But, with that said, KIT was extremely hype and well-attended (one of the best/most exciting majors we've had yet). Nothing is indicating that attendance is anything out of the ordinary.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Honestly, no one's really mentioned MK11 -- I think this is just a natural lull after the Pro Tour ended. Especially since the tour was so compressed, everyone deserves a break afterwards.

But, with that said, KIT was extremely hype and well-attended (one of the best/most exciting majors we've had yet). Nothing is indicating that attendance is anything out of the ordinary.
For sure, I wouldn't be shocked if things picked up once we start getting more majors. But what I was getting at is that the MK content we've been putting up has consistently gotten much more attention/interaction than the Injustice stuff. To be fair though, I've only been paying attention to that stuff for a month, it very well may just be how it has always been

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!

So true about IJ2, but yeah the MVCI scene does seem to indeed go down the hill due to the reasons @JBeezYBabY and @HellblazerHawkman mentioned.