What's new

Strategy Every Way to Set Up The Clone Trap

Seapeople

This one's for you
I thought it might be good to figure out every way that you can set up the clone trap in the corner.
What I mean by that is, when you put out a clone after certain combos the clone will be so close to the opponent that you can potentially use a jumpkick or ex slide to knock them back into the clone. I'll start it off with the ones I can think of.

Ex slide isn't reliable or doesn't work at all:
d1~clone
Close proximity d4~clone
Ex slide into the clone, 21, 222 = 25%
Deep jumpkick, 21, d1~clone, 222 = 23% (Jumpkicks are somewhat inconsistent)

Jumpkicks aren't reliable or don't work at all:
(21)~clone
Ex slide into the clone, 11, 222 = 24%

Both ex slide and jumpkicks are reliable:
(212)~clone
212~freeze, 222 = 25%
224~freeze, 222 = 25%
224~freeze, 4, 214 = 32%
214~freeze, (b4), 222 = 28%
214~freeze, (neutral jump), 222 = 28%
Ex slide into the clone, 4, 214 = 28%
Ex slide into the clone, 11, 214 = 27%
Jumpkick into the clone, (b1)2, 214 = 25%
Anti air 22~freeze, 222 = 14%

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Didn't Brady cover most of this?

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2
so?

Seapeople

almost max range d4 clone to ex slide is a combo, do it a bit closer if they walk back, go into training mode and feel the distance, its not very reliable but it can actually work unlike any other of subs gimmicks

Seapeople

This one's for you
Didn't Brady cover most of this?

He's explained what the tech actually is but not how to apply it to every combo. This stuff isn't really new though. I just thought it could be helpful to get all the details put together since some people might not be aware of all the possible set ups.

almost max range d4 clone to ex slide is a combo, do it a bit closer if they walk back, go into training mode and feel the distance, its not very reliable but it can actually work unlike any other of subs gimmicks
Cool, I'll add that one. Is it reliable enough to go for in a match?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
He's explained what the tech actually is but not how to apply it to every combo. This stuff isn't really new though. I just thought it could be helpful to get all the details put together since some people might not be aware of all the possible set ups.

depends if you d4 brady style or denzell style

i d4 brazy style so i look out for it whenever im vsing someone who i wanna d4 clone against, like cage

try it out in practice mode, the freeze animation is just like the corner 212 trap animation

ryublaze

Noob
224 freeze 4 214 does 32%

other timing for 214 freeze (b4) 222 is 214 freeze neutral jump 222 but if u do it too early it wont work so u have to delay it a little

I was just wondering if it was the same things or something new. Was gonna tag Jon if it was new.

I know almost nothing about how to play sub lol. I just have to out zone him.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I'm pretty sure this combo sets up the jumpkick options but not the ex slide. I'll need to double check it though...
224~freeze, 21, 222 = 30%

Do you all know of any other situational ways this can be set up? Deep jumpkick combos, air-to-air, etc?

Seapeople

This one's for you
I fixed the damage amount on all the current set ups, and removed max range d4~clone because it seems very unreliable in the corner. It works pretty nicely midscreen though.

I'm pretty sure this air-to-air combo can set up both the ex slide and jumpkicks, but I need to double check to be sure...
a2a, 22~freeze, 222 = 14%

I havent been able to find any way to do the clone trap off a deep jumpkick combo yet.
The combo that I added in my last post doesn't work with any jumpkicks, and ex slide doesn't seem reliable either.
^Here's the combo I'm talking about btw: 224~freeze, 21, 222 = 30%

There's still a lot to be explored about this imo. Some combos may possibly allow for the deep jumpkick but not the headkick or sharp jumpkick. Some of these set ups might also be character specific lol. (And I'm making sure to use a standing clone after every combo).
More to come but for now this is what I've got :)

I havent been able to find any way to do the clone trap off a deep jumpkick combo yet.
The only thing I've found is DJK, 21, BACKDASH, D1~Clone, (stall just before they unfreeze) 222

Gives JK options, but can be inconsistent. Works maybe 3 out of 5 times. Must be dependant on height of the D1 Clone. No EX Slide option.

Also, D1~clone in the corner gives JK options. No EX Slide option.

Seapeople

This one's for you
The only thing I've found is DJK, 21, BACKDASH, D1~Clone, (stall just before they unfreeze) 222

Gives JK options, but can be inconsistent. Works maybe 3 out of 5 times. Must be dependant on height of the D1 Clone. No EX Slide option.

Also, D1~clone in the corner gives JK options. No EX Slide option.
Good stuff. How much does that combo do?
And when you use d1~clone does it matter if the d1 hits or gets blocked?

Here's a few variables that could possibly affect each clone trap:
-Must be a perfect standing clone
-Character specific set ups
-Opponent is crouching, standing, or grounded
-Deep jumpkick, headkick, and sharp jumpkick options
-Some set ups may only work on either the right or left corner of any stage
-Opponent's AA options and projectile options that will cause them to be frozen

Good stuff. How much does that combo do?
And when you use d1~clone does it matter if the d1 hits or gets blocked?

Here's a few variables that could possibly affect each clone trap:
-Must be a perfect standing clone
-Character specific set ups
-Opponent is crouching, standing, or grounded
-Deep jumpkick, headkick, and sharp jumpkick options
-Some set ups may only work on either the right or left corner of any stage
-Opponent's AA options and projectile options that will cause them to be frozen
D1~clone works regardless of stand or crouch block as well as stand or crouch hit.

I think the DJK combo I posted is 23%.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Sometimes on things like the DJK stuff... you can get away with the clone trap not really working... because it "looks" the same.
People really don't "know" which traps work and don't... they only know what the trap "looks" like.

Sounds pretty dumb... but it is the truth. I love this post for the SZ people... but don't other think the trap. Know when it won't work and hesitate accordingly... but until someone consistently gets out of a "faux" trap... i'm using ignorance to my complete advantage.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Sometimes on things like the DJK stuff... you can get away with the clone trap not really working... because it "looks" the same.
People really don't "know" which traps work and don't... they only know what the trap "looks" like.

Sounds pretty dumb... but it is the truth. I love this post for the SZ people... but don't other think the trap. Know when it won't work and hesitate accordingly... but until someone consistently gets out of a "faux" trap... i'm using ignorance to my complete advantage.
You know, I've never looked at it like that.....suddenly denzell's corner swag makes more sense

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You know, I've never looked at it like that.....suddenly denzell's corner swag makes more sense
I didn't till i noticed alot of people will see me use 2,2,2 in the corner... and they just sit there... not knowing they can actually get out... or their projectile will work etc etc.

Small things I suppose. Heck I still use Shoryuken's Prison from time to time just cuz its so .... awkward