What's new

Question - Cyber Sub-Zero Ever Get That Feeling of Deja Vu? TYM hasn't learned

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Hiya fam, as the title suggests, I would like to ask you fellow forum goers if you ever get a feeling of deja vu when TYM attempts to talk about meaningful character balance so early in the launch cycle. For myself, this feeling struck me upon perusing the forums these past two days.

Apparently a well respected hotshot decided to post some tech on a brand new ice-based Lin-Kuei character. His main gimmick is that he has very strong trap based setplay in the corner that is very ambiguous for his opponent. For the most part, after a "hardknockdown" he can deploy an ice based trap for mixups or armor breaking purposes.

Naturally, such a strong and unique playstyle will frighten players, and likewise there was much screaming for nerfs. These nerfs are justified because of 12 total minutes of lab footage not based on any real matchup experience or tournament setting. As a matter of fact, 90% of the people asking for nerfs haven't actually fully labbed the setups.

What does this remind you of, TYM?

What can we do to stop it from happening again? How long until Sonic Fox complains about this character on Twitter and gets him nerfed for sure (while simultaneously maining other dumb characters for us to complain about later)? Was Tom Brady right about us all along?

Discuss.

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous how people jump to conclusions because someone well known posted a bit of tech. Reo didn't title the thread 'totally broken' but people take from it what they like. The tech is good but people need to chill out and actually use practice mode

Ponkz

Noob
Hes going to be made more negative, its not fair on the other teleport/slide Khars, that he gets to be so free. Set-ups are ok as long as they are counterable in some way.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
It's ok, he won't get nerfed, that's guaranteed.

I mean look at Grandmaster, broken as fuck since day 1 and they didn't change shit, still brokenasf.

:DOGE

TwiztidOne

I don't know who that is...
as someone who played sub zero on release and several months after, I imho feel that the nerfs to sub zero were warranted. with that being said I felt that it was unfair that sub zero got nerfed while other characters got to keep their dirt

p.s. stop being so salty man, it can't be healthy for you lol

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
No offense milkman, but you seem extremely angry at anyone saying Cyber Sub may have some really dirty stuff to him. Of course it's only day 3 and we don't know whether this tech is easily replicated (though it does seem that way) and if there are easy ways out, but Cyber Sub could definitely have some legit nasty setups and tech to him, if this is what has already been found after like two days.

TheKingsAutopsy

The Bow, The Bird
The only nerf he really deserves is his divekick, which shouldn't be safe from any range, but other than that he isn't broken. His setups can be armored out of and he can't put out bombs after the opponent has been frozen, unlike a certain other setup oriented cyborg who can keep you stuck in bomb setups all day long. He has good corner game, just like the other sub zero variations, but midscreen he can only setup from two combos, a low and a read on an anti air, and this setup cannot lead into another one. We have characters like Johnny who are plus on literally everything and Quan who even after being nerfed still has a vortex that can take you from 100 health to 0 off of a good read with trance provided you guess wrong but CSZ is broken because he has flashy combos and good corner game? Ridiculous.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
So we've spent the best part of a year dealing with Quan Cheese pseudo-unblockables to finally getting some sort of level ground with him. Now they release a new character with the same sort of offence and we are supposed to be ok with that?

This type of offence should not exist. Period. Not with Quan, Cyrax, Tremor, Sonya, Cyber Sub or any other god damn character.

The whole point of defending is to block the mix ups high for OH and low for low attacks. If someone is hitting you with both within a frame of each other, I don't care how much lab time you think I need, it shouldn't be happening.

The Lin Kuei member in question that was nerfed has nothing to do with CSZ since he was nerfeddue to other reason, not that I agree that he did need a nerf. He didn't have low bombs and OH/lows hitting at the same time, it's irellevant.

CSZ is fucking stupid and he should be hit with a nerf bat right in his mincey cyber balls.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Man, I'm one of the cowboys that thinks Sub was unfairly nerfed, and should get his shit back - but there is no comparison here outside the name. And the time I've spent with him in the lab just says to me that hes even worse then the video lets on.

Worst case scenario, the character isn't at all broken, and removing this shit gets rid of a piece of terrible design for a fighting game.

I know that even without the ridiculous mix-up shit, there is no way the character will be weak. This shit has gotta stop. We fought hard for 10 months to get rid of it from QC, we do not need Cyber Sub to be some sort of twisted MK9 developer's balancing joke

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
Just let the ro-butts do their thing for at least a month before changes are really discussed/made.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
true dat as well, as long as we stay open minded about nerfs where they are deserved
No I 100% agree! Nerf them if they deserve it, I just think it's a little disrespectful to both the buyers of the new KP and the devs to be asking for what they have released to be changed this early on. We should point out things that are a little too good and see what we can do in the meantime but wanting changes this early would just seem kinda selfish.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
You can't be serious lmao. Sub was absolutely broken day 1. Like I understand where you're coming from but Sub Zero is in no way a good defense. That character was fucked
Exactly how was he fucked? The only thing I can remember them changing was the cooldown on ice clone (which still isn't much) and a visual correction of the clone hitbox not being active after Sub blocked.