What's new

Ermac has an even less stable placement than the DLCs characters... Why?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
As far as tournament play goes, I've been a character purist in every game I've ever played. Sure, I have fun characters on the side, but in this game, Ermac is my man.

Bad matchup? Who cares. Counterpicking is such bullshit, it makes me shake my head every time I see it, from little local tournaments to the EVO finals when Justin Wong did it VS Daigo. Learn your character, learn the matchup, win the fight. Counterpicking just says "Well, I'm not quite smart enough to battle through this." Over in Japan they have straight-up huge character lock tournaments. You better believe they know their matchups when you can't counterpick as a massive crutch to cover up fights you don't feel like battling through.

I really can't get over how good everyone is is in this game for the most part. Ermac is solid. Sektor is beyond solid. When you look at his frame data, its disgusting. His 1 is 6 FRAMES and it LAUNCHES. My god. People said Sindel sucked, and that's being proven wrong. Like I said, I'm also working on Sheeva, and I'll tell you what - I don't think she's bad either... just no one has been able to show her potential yet.

God damn MK9 is a good game.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Ermac is "Top 3 ninja" ?

Let's see. Better than Sub-zero? Maybe. Better than Rain? I don't think so. Better than Smoke? Noup. Better than Scorpion? Nah. Better than Reptile? LOL.

I'm not saying that Ermac is bad, but gosh there's better ninjas for sure. And that's only taking in count Ninjas. I'm not considering Kabal, Jax, Sonya, Raiden, Kung Lao and such.
The thing with Ermac is I believe he has good match ups with the top tier characters. He is great against IAF characters like Kitana, Kabal, Liu Kang, Mileena since when he does his fireball he ducks under any IAFs. He can also telepunch and go into lift while they are in the air. He has a simple yet amazing keep away game for high tier rush down characters like Sonya and Cage.

Kung Lao... not a high tier character anymore imo thanks to the retarded community.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Kung Lao... not a high tier character anymore imo thanks to the retarded community.
Even when he's not "Top tier" for some, I still think that he's placed highly. The dude can fuckin' interrupt strings with a goddamn full combo! He's got mixups, blockstrings, good d4, d3, d1, spin, the best antiair in the game, a decent teleport and a dive kick.

Ermac is a good character, but that's because the game is really balanced with just a few exceptions. I don't think anybody would say he's trash, and deying the fact that he's got good tools and good matchups against some high tier characters is totally unacceptable, but he doesn't shine like others do.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I was the guy yesterday using Ermac. I had been tooling around with him since he was the character I wanted to play before the game came out. However since about a month or two into the games release I had to drop him because my friends told me he was cheep and they wouldn't play with me if I used Ermac. So I went in yesterday with about 30 minutes of new tech and came 10% away from beating CD and going into grand finals. Ermac is a beast! I'm not sure about a specific number on the tier list, but Ermac is tournament viable for sure!

He has a ton of mind games between staggering strings, low/high mix ups, unblockable cancels, 50/50 slam that can be linked into from any of his strings or after a TKP connects, an amazing wake up that needs to be respected.

I don't know what more one could want in a character - other than armor, a damage exploit (cyrax, smoke), a mileena d4, and random advantage.... oh wait, all those things are cheep as hell. So in closing, Ermac is a great AND legit character. I'll continue to use him (mixed in with Sektor) at Winter Brawl.

Tom... That sig.... I almost fell off my chair laughing m8 !

Enenra

Go to hell.
I don't think he's good against people that can stay in his face. Skarlet, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax, Kung Lao. Just a few that come to mind.
He's the ultimate hit and run character.
I feel good against JCs, Jaxs, neutral about Sonya because I haven't played many good ones, and KL is a bitch to high hitbox chars. I beat Take2Chance's Skarlet as much as he beat my Ermac, but other than that, never played a Skarlet.

Not related, but for the record, look at my sig. You see all them damn ninjas? Ermac seems like he has the potential to really mold to me, I beat very good players with him. I feel like if I put in work and stick with him when I inevitably get frustrated, he will reward me ten fold.

open your eyes people... you really think the top players of the mk scene are going to talk down about any character? they don't want to look like an IdrA (Starcraft 2 pro). they want to keep their "knight in shining armor" look within the community.

and for all the "top players" of mk9: if you're in here saying, "omg you guys are crazy! he's a perfectly fine character! great mixups, strong offense! etcetc." then fucking main him. don't brainwash lower caliber players by saying he's a top character, then turning right around and playing a better character. it makes you look like fuckin idiots.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
^ The difference being blizzard liked to buff protoss into hat tier while nerfing terran into subzero tier. I'd be pissed if I practiced for 14 hours a day to get cheesed time and again. Idra tells people to play protoss because you can sit back and get a deathball without trying while he plays zerg(considerably harder to play). In any event, the difference between MK and other fighting games I've seen is that mk seems to have at least twice as many(if not more) tournament worthy characters than the standard 4 or 5 that other fighting games seem to have.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
open your eyes people... you really think the top players of the mk scene are going to talk down about any character? they don't want to look like an IdrA (Starcraft 2 pro). they want to keep their "knight in shining armor" look within the community.

and for all the "top players" of mk9: if you're in here saying, "omg you guys are crazy! he's a perfectly fine character! great mixups, strong offense! etcetc." then fucking main him. don't brainwash lower caliber players by saying he's a top character, then turning right around and playing a better character. it makes you look like fuckin idiots.

Ehhm i main Ermac you know. So yeah i pretty much know what i m talking about. Plus i ve always talked about Ermac's weaknesses but that doesnt mean that he cant deal with anything because of them. He is still top 10 material imo. I dont know about the other top players main characters but i ve always played Ermac since the launch of MK 9 and i always strived to find new things about him to counter higher tier characters (which i did). Plus i always try to help Ermac beginners as much as i can. Not only me everyone in this forum. Same applies for other forums from what i ve seen.

Skkra

Ermac seems to be a solid upper-mid tier character. He absolutely has the tools to win against the entire cast, which is more than can be said for some.

His biggest issue to me is simply that he doesn't have any armored specials, which is something that a very large percentage of the cast has, and which I feel is one of the most useful tools in the entire game. It makes getting characters like Sonya and Cage off of you more difficult than it would be for, say, Kenshi, who I've strongly considered defecting to. =\

I can't help it though, I really like Ermac's playstyle. I'm going to continue to work with him and see how far I can go.

[Oh, TKP only being -8ish on block would also be nice while I'm wishing for things.]

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
First, STH if you think Kung Lao isn't top tier, you need to play PL. That character played at top level is still as crazy as ever. His mobility and solid footsies and pressure are why he was already top tier. Low hat was the only reason people talked about him being the best in the game.

Second, Ermac's matchups are definitely solid, especially vs the top tiers, and I don't even consider his lack of an armored EX move that huge a deal. Defensively, it kinda sucks, but d1 at 6f helps immensely here simply because he's not 100% prone to pseudo-frame traps.

Skkra

As much as I tend to disagree with things Tom Brady says, the tier list that he posted the other day and talked about on the podcast is pretty solid, based on what I know of this game. At the very least, general character placement of upper, middle, and lower seemed right.

One of the things he said that I definitely did agree with was that Ermac is capable of fighting any character in the game, which I think is a huge plus. I'm always a character purist in games I play, and believe in fighting through bad matchups rather than counterpicking them with a secondary.

The other thing he said, which seems about right, is that "Ermac does a lot of things good, but not a lot of things great" which I'm totally OK with. The character is straight-up solid and has the tools to win.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
His biggest issue to me is simply that he doesn't have any armored specials, which is something that a very large percentage of the cast has, and which I feel is one of the most useful tools in the entire game. It makes getting characters like Sonya and Cage off of you more difficult than it would be for, say, Kenshi, who I've strongly considered defecting to. =\
If ex push got armor Ermac would be top 10 imo. Pushback on push like Saibot's shadow charge would be nice as well.

CD Jr and Slips are right. He is a great punisher and he regulates hella space. He's very similar to Kitana actually, both in strengths and weaknesses.

It's just that America has no top Ermac, the early ones retired and Bone has multiple personality disorder.
Big D is working on his ermac right now and he did use it at final round. I wouldnt doubt he'll bust it out at CEO

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
No particular order:

Smoke, Jax, Kenshi, Kung Lao, Sonya, Kitana, Kabal, Mileena, Scorpion, Cyrax. I think they are top ten material, Ermac is like 11 or 12 in my book.
I agree with all except Scorpion and Mileena. In their place i would put Sektor and Ermac.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
1. Kabal
2. Kitana
3. Smoke
4. Jax
5. Kung Lao
6. Kenshi
7. Sonya
8. Cyrax
9. Mileena
10. Scorpion