What's new

Equip the best abilities and make your main character top tier!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This thread is more lighthearted than the last one. Post your main character's best ability (if the ability requires one slot) or abilities (if the ability only requires one slot) in order to make him or her top tier. The only character I have leveled up to 20 is Darkseid so I am curious about the abilities that other characters gain access to. The best two abilities (and hence the best equipped Darkseid from my perspective) are listed in bold. The other abilities are listed in standard font followed by a YouTube video of all the abilities.

Air Boom Tube Away (d,b+3~b in air) - an aerial back teleport like Tanya's in Mortal Kombat X. Teleports back about half a screen. Does not replace the standard aerial teleport.

Boom Tube Away (d,b+3~b) - a grounded back teleport like Raiden's or Scorpion's in Mortal Kombat X. Teleports back about half a screen. Does not replace the standard grounded teleport.

Hate Slam (MB 2,2,1+3) - gains ability to juggle from standing 2 using one bar of meter. Does not guarantee b+3. Darkseid already has MB stomp and MB b+1,u+3 to extend combos so this move seems redundant for combo expansions.

Maximum Omega (MB d,b+2) - gains ability to direct the omega beam just like the super. Requires two slots. Does not appear to be worthy of occupying two slots.

Reverse Omega Beams (d,b+2) - an omega beam that attacks the opponent from behind. Replaces upward omega beam. Does not act a cross up despite hitting from the other side. Slightly better recovery frames than d,f+1. MB version juggles but is too slow to combo from strings (i.e., 1,1 or 1,2 or 2,2, etc.)

Equip the best abilities to your main character and offer brief descriptions of the abilities if possible.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Hmmm Harley's best abilities are probably her damage over time cupcakes and Joker's picture which gives her a damage boost, maybe even Ivy's blessimg which gives her 6% life back.
But I'd go for the DOT cupcakes and damage boost all day. She would be fair...

As for Catwoman catcall is stupid since it restands and she can call it multiple times in a combo the damage she gets with it is stupid and low whip for the mix-ups...

For Wonder Woman I'd use the amazonian slam to get her OTG back (fair)

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Cheetah's are Spotted Torpedo (exactly what it says on the tin) and Creeping Predator (the crawl). If she had just one of these moves in competitive mode she'd be much, much more viable I think.

Ivy's, similarly, are easily Flowing Earth (the slide) and Deadly Thorns (a proper projectile).

These moves are so game-changing that I don't have any loadouts with other abilities and I kind of hate playing ranked. :/

Canary is fine without added abilities honestly, but I'm fond of Body Bounce and Rising Kick.

Brainiac's Ion Canon (great zoning option and corner extension if MB) and Destruction Orb ( inj1 Lex's orbs that shoot lasers, calls out 2 if MB). He is godlike at controlling space with these))))!!!

Lokheit

Noob
Poison Ivy:

Slide (Flowing Earth). That's it.

You can literally REMOVE ALL OF HER SPECIALS (half of them are joke moves anyway) and she would be better:

- 9 frames low profiling long range advancing move that hits low, safe (-4), armor breaking, meterless launching into combo (with VERY GOOD damage scaling).

Even her best neutral tool B2D2 could be removed because that string is as equally safe and has less reach and slower start up.

If you want to add a second move the double projectile (Deadly Thorns) is alright (a bit slow but very good recovery), but really just the slide makes her jump multiple tiers and completly change her gameplan (I force myself to not use it at times so I don't get it too ingrained into my muscular memory).

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Character: Red Hood

Best Abilities:

Hidden Explosive (df3 MB) - On hit, Lethal Lunge can be MB such that it could be used to start combos, guaranteeing a B3. It can be seen as a better version of Flash's Torpedo from Injustice 1. It doesn't replace either of the Meter Burns for Lethal Lunge and it effectively gives him a new third one and it only comes out on hit.

Instant Death (d + throw in air) - His air throw, Vendetta Slam, can now be MB, so it would grant him big damage off an air-to-air. It guarantees a B3 to start juggles. It doesn't replace anything, it gives his air throw a meterburn.

Other Abilities:

Gutted (d,b1) - gives him a flashy combo extender and it can even be MB to do additional damage. I'd say this ability is redundant since he already has that with his trait. Replaces Spin Parry.

Shrapnel Blast (b,f1) - Gives him an overhead projectile that has four different distances. I don't see why people would prefer this over the Ground Mine other than to catch fullscreen jumps. Replaces Ground Mine.

Akimbo Blaze (d,b 1) - Gives him low gun shots. It requires both ability slots and replaces his Spin Parry.

Time Bomb (b,f 1) - It gives him MKX Cyrax low bombs. They launch without meter. At first I thought this would be good, but why would I only want one way to combo for two slots when I can have two for each slot and still keep the setup game. Replaces Ground Mine and requires two ability slots.

Last edited:

Seobones

Noob
after unlocking Poison ivy dash I realised how unbalanced the game is with gears and I don't even play with gears at all anymore

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Brainiac's Ion Canon (great zoning option and corner extension if MB)
Is that move the little beam? If so, does it disappear on block?

Akimbo Blaze (d,b 1) - Gives him low gun shots. It requires both ability slots and replaces his Spin Parry.
Low gun shots!!! LOL. What is the recovery like?

- 9 frames low profiling long range advancing move that hits low, safe (-4), armor breaking, meterless launching into combo (with VERY GOOD damage scaling).
after unlocking Poison ivy dash I realised how unbalanced the game is with gears and I don't even play with gears at all anymore
So this move is exactly like Killer Frost's slide from the first game?

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
For Firestorm, the Air Ground Spark is all you need. Maybe his teleport on the side, but that doesn't add much to him at all.

Darkseid i'd rather take that 10 frame launcher punish than an Air Boom Tube extension. I just don't like the way it feels.

Scarecrow and Atrocitus's abilities don't add enough to what he brings to the table already.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
If you give Grodd both the Primitive Pound(Doomsday Earthshaker) and the MB Normal Grab(MB for a 25-30% damage grab), that would make Grodd much better in my opinion.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Cheetah's are Spotted Torpedo (exactly what it says on the tin) and Creeping Predator (the crawl). If she had just one of these moves in competitive mode she'd be much, much more viable I think.

Ivy's, similarly, are easily Flowing Earth (the slide) and Deadly Thorns (a proper projectile).

These moves are so game-changing that I don't have any loadouts with other abilities and I kind of hate playing ranked. :/

Canary is fine without added abilities honestly, but I'm fond of Body Bounce and Rising Kick.
Canary's command grab is broken af lol

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
That's how I feel about Ivy and her projectile or any of canary's abilities outside of her command grab
Yes. There's no reason for Ivy's projectile or Canary's non-command grab moves to be gear moves. At all.

And I agree that command grab is busted but I prefer using the cry at range anyway lol

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Darkseid i'd rather take that 10 frame launcher punish than an Air Boom Tube extension. I just don't like the way it feels..
No opponent can react to four different versions of the teleport (i.e., back teleport, instant aerial back teleport, teleport, and instant aerial teleport). Darkseid becomes pre-patch Tanya in terms of mobility. A 10 frame launching punishing move cannot compare in my opinion.

Aquaman is already broke as fuck but give him that chip damage boost and peace out lol
Do we know any specifics about the move? Start up? Recovery frames? Duration?