What's new

Enter the Bane: General Discussion

Used to play Bane all the time. Not anymore. I2 is just a pew pew contest at this point and Bane is bottom of the fucking barrel. So many strings are grab immune, he feels retardedly slow compared to some characters and debuff on clash/transition really screws him. But then we get to the fun part. How ridiculously hard it is to get in with him. Yea, Don’t even try. You are not beating a Fate, Superman, Starfire or Redhood that has spent any more than 20 minutes in practice mode. It’s just an excersize in frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I think aside from Blue Beetle and Fate he stands a decent chance against most of the cast.

I personally struggle with Fate the most, Bane just has 0 answers to orb at all

I mean he just IMO has a lot of crap matchups. Other than supes laser spam he has his trait... which just straight up negates Banes lol. I think it stands to reason Bane needs a damn good Buff to be on even footing. Unfortunately though with the design of the game being more zone based I’d just say he’s most likely at a disadvantage either way with hows he’s built as a character.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I mean he just IMO has a lot of crap matchups. Other than supes laser spam he has his trait... which just straight up negates Banes lol. I think it stands to reason Bane needs a damn good Buff to be on even footing. Unfortunately though with the design of the game being more zone based I’d just say he’s most likely at a disadvantage either way with hows he’s built as a character.

I'll be honest man, the exact kind of shit you're talking about is why I quit playing this game. Bane is negated 90% of the time, Grodd is so much fun but just gets wrecked, et al.

Same here man I used to play all the time. I dropped it though because it’s just too unbalanced if you’re like me and only play Bane.

Cursa

I don't think Bane should get changes because his gameplan is way too strong in the areas he excels at.

Like his gameplan once he gets a knockdown is one of the scariest in the game, he can meterlessly blow up gaps and plus frames if he has trait, his damage output is absolutely ludicrous, both with and without meter, and he has 50/50s for days.

I'm sorta leaning away from him, just so much reading to do. Having to read backdashes with forward dashes of your own is just nuts imo, so much risk, even if the reward is there. He's just super inconsistent depending on how your opponent plays.

I still kinda think he could do with a better mid, not great but just something to let you be able to have options when you're out of venom, but outside of that it's hard to justify buffs when you can hit for almost 80% using two bars, on a character who doesn't use meter for combos anyway, and has meterless armoured 50/50s

Cursa

Only tip I can say is use elbow as your primary neutral tool, no one ever punishes it for some reason, it's armoured, and +20 on hit and people never expect you to use it

never use charge

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Problematic MUs for me as Bane are

Green Arrow, Fate, & Wonder Woman. + Brainiac (Cause IDK what they're doing) not necessarily a bad MU on this one

Everyone else feels manageable to some degree.

D1xxElbow or even d1xxVenomUppercut works wonders on people's wake-ups and in the neutral.

Cursa

Bane has solutions to a lot of things it's just that all of them are super unsafe, low reward, or both (Usually both)

Like Catwoman backdash requires god level commits when your on oki

Cursa

D1xxElbow or even d1xxVenomUppercut works wonders on people's wake-ups and in the neutral.
Tbh this is his best scenario but once people start catching on it's just so hard. That's why I made that post the other day about people interrupting his numerous gaps and punishing elbow properly. It's not even like it's a hard punish, people just need to understand that he low profiles during the recovery for like 1/4 of it.

I am confident in believing that every character is able to full combo punish it, MAYBE outside of 1 or 2 characters and that's a big maybe. Literally

Last edited:

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Tbh this is his best scenario but once people start catching on it's just so hard. That's why I made that post the other day about people interrupting his numerous gaps and punishing elbow properly. It's not even like it's a hard punish, people just need to understand that he low profiles during the recovery for like 1/4 of it.

I am confident in believing that every character is able to full combo punish it, MAYBE outside of 1 or 2 characters and that's a big maybe. Literally
While thats true. We both know most people aren't going to punish it. Most players still don't even get how his trait works or that debuff is as bad as it is. So as it stands now its good to do, even though we know its not real. But not one will believe it until his weaknesses are universally known. People just see armor and F2D bounce combos and think "Bane Top 5 for sure"

Most people don't even think to delay wakeup to waste trait uptime or mess up Oki altogether. But once they start expecting d1. D2 tickthrow starts working more. But that too only goes so far with some people's wakeups like Red Hood fall back dive or Green Arrows Savage blast.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
How is that even possible?
Go into ranked. And I promise you 70% of players. Will let you recover level 3 Debuff in peace. The people who are trying to hit you are Zoners who are just doing what they'd be doing regardless of you having trait or not. But Robin, Cheetah, TMNT, Catwoman, Black Manta, etc. They'll just sit back in fear while you recover level 3 debuff. Sometimes you even see it in tournament.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Rewatch old streams, they still talk about how Bane completely ignores projectiles and breaks armor at level 3 as if its Grodd trait. Not once have they ever clarified that it is only DURING ARMOR FRAMES that he is projectile immune,and cannot just literally walk through fireballs or d1 to break armor, he still has to commit to raw specials/F2 to break armor or F2 dash cancel or raw charge through projectiles. This was at CEO just recently too when Arma and KP were commentating.

Cursa

Rewatch old streams, they still talk about how Bane completely ignores projectiles and breaks armor at level 3 as if its Grodd trait. Not once have they ever clarified that it is only DURING ARMOR FRAMES that he is projectile immune,and cannot just literally walk through fireballs or d1 to break armor, he still has to commit to raw specials/F2 to break armor or F2 dash cancel or raw charge through projectiles. This was at CEO just recently too when Arma and KP were commentating.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it was at CEO but I think KP wondered why Bio's bounce cancel didn't break Gross' super as Bladam.

But tbf that was a really fucking fast scenario to happen, it went from 0 to 100 real quick, even I thought it was gonna armour break for some reason, but you're right.

Cursa

Go into ranked. And I promise you 70% of players. Will let you recover level 3 Debuff in peace. The people who are trying to hit you are Zoners who are just doing what they'd be doing regardless of you having trait or not. But Robin, Cheetah, TMNT, Catwoman, Black Manta, etc. They'll just sit back in fear while you recover level 3 debuff. Sometimes you even see it in tournament.
I've had other Bane's let me recover in debuff and I just don't understand why.

Cursa

The scariest thing to fight against as a Bane player is people who know how to punish you and idk about everyone else but once they get that down consistently it becomes a lot scarier to go for grabs on oki

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Heh, perhaps. But I'd say it's not so much lack of knowledge on how trait works, but rather not realizing how completely ass his buttons are up close when he can't threat anything with armor.

Cursa

Heh, perhaps. But I'd say it's not so much lack of knowledge on how trait works, but rather not realizing how completely ass his buttons are up close when he can't threat anything with armor.
Probs both tbh

Also isn't knowing that how ass his buttons are, lack of MU knowledge itself? lel.

Seriously though once peeps realise his fastest button aside from his 7 frame high is an 11 frame low then I'm sure they'll abuse it more

Last edited:

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Oh sure, it was just initial comment specifying trait knowledge. General lack of MU knowledge is something I find much more believable.
When people get on mic to yell. "So your trait just makes you invulnerable to everything? Wow alright my guy just sit there and build trait some more" when he plays SuperMan and Robin with 2000'ish games under his belt. But he knew about my tick throws of all things. Im sure it is MU knowledge but there are definitely people who know stuff about bane but don't know the property changes of level 2/3 venom. Some are even unaware that transitions/supers reset his debuff