What's new

Enhanced Uppercut

rifraf

Noob
It's a niche universal ability and I feel it's okay staying like that. However, I think NRS has been a bit too careful with it.
The ability is being kept in check in 2 different ways:

1. Anything coming out of an enhanced uppercut has a lot of dmg scaling added to it.
  2. It costs 2 bars.
Thinking of it, I doubt I would enjoy playing a game where enhanced uppercut has somehow become a meta so I don't want to see it getting buffed, but rather fine-tuned a bit. I would say make it 1 bar, and increase the dmg scaling a bit if necessary. Think of it as a niche punish tool that is cheap but with relatively low dmg output. Right now, 2 bars seem too expensive for it.

Thoughts?

i think its fine to have tools that are not just niche but fringe. awareness and meaningful use of fringe tools is hype.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I think having it be an enhanced thing you do mid-combo, instead of a punish, would be better. Currently, any uppercut done inside a combo will do half damage + the scaling. I can't think of a single situation where you would rather punish someone with an uppercut into a heavily scaled combo instead of ducking and punishing with a regular, unscaled combo for free. Hence, perhaps "spend 1 bar for a full-damage uppercut mid-combo" would be a good rework. You will get uppercut combos that way that are niche and some hard to execute, but do more damage, and cost 1 extra bar.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I mean, for a kameo bar a lot of different kameos already allow you to combo off d2

Scorpion
Khameleon (both Mileena and Kitana disguises)
Sonya
Goro
Jax
Cyrax
Stryker
Lao
Darrius (2 kameo bars)
Tremor (2 kameo bars)

The damage just isn't worth it. Often a s1 punish gets more as both an anti-air and a high duck.

rifraf

Noob
With the damage scaling, I think it should be 1 bar personally
Yeah, that's what I think as well. Since it's a universal ability, I think NRS was too scared to let it be useful.

Actually, I think all 2 bar specials should have a second pass from NRS. I love the fact we got 2 bar specials in the game because it allows for more exciting things to happen but I feel it's safe to say 2 bars of meter is extremely valuable in this game and some(not all) of the 2 bar moves either need to be buffed, changed, or be 1 bar.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, that's what I think as well. Since it's a universal ability, I think NRS was too scared to let it be useful.
And aside from that, there’s not nearly as much jumping in in neutral in MK1 as there have been in basically every other NRS game. I have to qualify this because you have to qualify everything you say these days, but when I say “not nearly as much jumping in”, that’s all I mean. It does NOT mean no one jumps in or it’s super rare or anything. But with jump in punch combo starters actually doing less damage for the most part in this game vs how it has been in previous games, and with the movement especially dash blocking, you just don’t see it as often in neutral. So there’s not a ton of opportunities to even use this mechanic. And when there is, it’s not really worth it unless your character’s only good anti air is d2 and it’s in a situation where actually spending the 2 bars to cancel it makes sense, which is also rare.

rifraf

Noob
And when there is, it’s not really worth it unless your character’s only good anti air is d2 and it’s in a situation where actually spending the 2 bars to cancel it makes sense, which is also rare.
Yeah, at 2 bars I don't see it being used probably ever.

D2 as a move is pretty good though; 9 frames with massive stagger and pushback on block, and 14% dmg on hit. I use it sometimes online to punish string gaps, fast teleports, etc. because it's easier than actually pressing my buttons :laughing:

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I'm playing since launch, both KL and friendly online matches. I think I have around 3000 friendly matches and maybe half of it in KL.

I haven't done enchanced uppercut. Not even once.

I've seen it once though. Havik player surprised me with that around a month back. I was like "OH YEA THIS MECHANIC EXISTS, I FORGOT".

No one ever used it against me since then.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
You'd think NRS would see that literally no one is using this mechanic due to it being too expensive as well as the damage being shit for 2 bars and change the way it works. That would require them to actually do something, though. That's a tall order.

But seriously, as others have said, if they keep the scaling the way it is, it should absolutely only cost one bar. If they keep it two bars, it should have NO scaling on the uppercut whatsoever.

or....they could do something really interesting and make the enhanced D2 call in the Kameo for their own air combo that does increased damage or something. I'm not asking for anything crazy. Just give each Kameo their own 3 hit air combo that only works off this mechanic. Maybe make the 3 hits of the combo just frame timing and if you pull it off you get your bar of meter back. I don't know.

I know, I know.....they won't do anything so I don't know why I'm even typing all this.

You'd think NRS would see that literally no one is using this mechanic due to it being too expensive as well as the damage being shit for 2 bars and change the way it works. That would require them to actually do something, though. That's a tall order.
Block Breakers in Mortal Kombat XL were never (rarely) used and were never changed either.

I remembered it the other day but couldn't remember how to execute, D2 to Stance? Block? I couldnt do it and didnt see it anywhere in the tutoral, I went back and looked. I thought they might have removed it.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I don't care for Li Mei's uppercut so I've never done it intentionally or unintentionally.

I would probably use it with Quan Chi purely for swag and skeleton combos. It has not practical or competitive application. Needs changes. I don't like to see things that are useless. That's not niche. That's wasted resources.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I remembered it the other day but couldn't remember how to execute, D2 to Stance? Block? I couldnt do it and didnt see it anywhere in the tutoral, I went back and looked. I thought they might have removed it.
Says it on D2 notes in move list

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I have yet to see this being used ONCE in high level or tournament play. Literally no one uses it and for good reason. Its practically a useless mechanic since there are way more efficient ways to use the meter required.

Yet another thing NRS needs to fix in this game.