What's new

EHs Balance Patches Pros & Cons.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/may/22/does-deadshot-actually-need-nerf-injustice-2-pros-and-cons-constant-balance-updates/

Does Deadshot actually need a nerf in Injustice 2? The pros and cons of balance updates

Posted by Justin 'AdaptiveTrigger' Gordon • May 22, 2017 at 7:37 p.m. PDT

So Injustice 2 has yet to be out for a full week but there is already a debate going around concerning a very specific character: Deadshot.

Does this character need to be nerfed? Is it too early to even be considering this question?

There are strong arguments for both sides honestly.

On one hand, it's an extremely polarizing playstyle that is essentially only fun for one player. While the strategy of "spamming" (not true zoning) is easily beatable, it's not always within the capabilities of the more casual audience to do so - which makes up most of the game's playerbase, like it or not.

Still, the game has only been out for an extremely short period of time. If there is a solution to Deadshot, not enough time has actually been given for players to explore the meta.

The zoning archetype

First off, I think a lot of the problems here stems from the commonly accepted opinion that zoning is "easy" and "dumb." Rushdown playstyles are more likely to be praised by the masses.

Playing the keepaway game is not always as easy as depicted. Usually when a character has very strong zoning tools, their upclose tools suffer as a result.

Does Deadshot have weak upclose tools to justify his zoning? Originally the character was advertised by Steve "16Bit" Brownback as being "kind of a high risk, low reward mixup character" up close.

Click image for animated version

Deadshot is armed with a low down light attack that is -3 on block, a back and light that is a low that is -1 on block, and that low can go into an overhead for a low, overhead attack that is also -1 on block.

This makes it hard to see if the Deadshot player is going to transition into the overhead part of the string, or keep pressuring with the part of the string that must be blocked low.

Overall, I think this makes Deadshot's up close mixups a little harder to react to than originally intended. It doesn't really occur to me as "high risk, low reward."

Does the community understand the meta well enough?

There is a common argument that NRS should've learned from their previous games where characters like Deadshot were designed. For example, it was determined that Kano needed to be nerfed in MK9 and Deathstroke needed to be nerfed in Injustice 1.

I don't think that argument applies so easily. While it may (or may not) be true that those characters needed to be nerfed in those games, Injustice 2 has a different set of tools available for players to use.

For example, while there are a few exceptions, most of the players that went up against FOX|SonicFox in that Deadshot video did not bother to utilize the meter burn roll option one time. This is a move that is obviously designed to get in on zoning characters like Deadshot.

If Deadshot were to be nerfed before the meta were to be fully developed, then we may never find out how powerful Deadshot truly is. It's possible (though seemingly unlikely at this point) that the reaction to Deadshot is a knee-jerk on the community's part.

When does a character need to be nerfed? What is good for the game?

Ideally, I think it is best to have a character nerfed when it is properly determined that a character is extremely over centralized to the point where a large percentage of the players at tournaments play the character.

It is likely that Deadshot suffers at least a bad match up to Black Adam. It is also nice that characters do have universal tools to fight against Deadshot such as meter burn rolls and jumping from the right distance as I understand that Deadshot is said to have bad anti-airs.

This occurs when a character has no bad match ups and/or their advantageous match ups are too far in their favor. In games where patching was not an option, the banning option was often discussed if not outright utilized for characters such as Akuma in Super Turbo and Meta Knight in Brawl.

This is of course the ideal scenario. Not everyone will see it this way.

And this is where a big part of the problem comes in. At the end of the day, NRS has to cater to what the majority of the community wants for the game to survive.

It's not enough that Deadshot's gameplan is beatable - it also has to be easy to at least fight against. If a player feels completely helpless against a character like Deadshot, they are likely to not want to continue playing the game.

Essentially, the game online has to cater well to a casual experience. The people I'm referring to are likely to never visit a site like this.

They just play the game. These type of players aren't going to spend a great deal of time in the lab.

As a result, there has to be a balance that NRS must strike in order to keep as many people happy as possible. This is no easy task...

Should Deadshot actually be nerfed? My opinion.

So, do I actually think Deadshot should be nerfed? Yes - but don't crucify me before reading this entire segment.

In terms of his zoning play style, I'm in favor of playing the "wait and see" game. As for the low negative frames on his up close mixup tools, I'm more in favor of seeing that nerfed but I'm also willing to wait on that as well.

What I'm referring to occurs to me more as a bug than a nerf. Deadshot's Bullet Barrage special (down, back, medium) cannot be clashed.

This comes across as being unintuitive on what can be clashed and what can't. There doesn't seem to be a rule that states that projectile attacks can't be clashed, except for this particular attack.

Back plus heavy, forward plus heavy, and supers are really supposed to be the only unclashable attacks. I think this is fine as it is clearly stated.

Newer players will become confused on this whenever they try to clash it. This creates a confusing experience.

It is also worth noting that these are taking advantage of Deadshot's "high risk, low reward" mixup options. Safe, unclashable damage from overheads and lows.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
This guy is talking up MB roll like it's a valid option to beat or even a way to get in against Deadshot, which means he isn't playing and obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

This is his opinion and it has no more validity than yours or mine, because someone put it up on a website. No, Deadshot is not just stupid against casual players, DS is stupid period and no part of the meta or counter picking will hide that he's broken by design.

This is why I left Eventhubs... Bullshit articles like this one.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
This guy is talking up MB roll like it's a valid option to beat or even a way to get in against Deadshot, which means he isn't playing and obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

This is his opinion and it has no more validity than yours or mine, because someone put it up on a website. No, Deadshot is not just stupid against casual players, DS is stupid period and no part of the meta or counter picking will hide that he's broken by design.

MB roll is actually viable, you just gotta time it right.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Let the game live. We need more than a week to collectively make decisions on these sorts of things. There's probably more to worry about than Deadshot's wristol.

also lol event hubs.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
MB roll is actually viable, you just gotta time it right.
Not against straight shot it isn't. Maybe after you block MB rifle, you have time to get in with MB roll, and get pushed out again with safe B1, B1 2, U3. Then guess what? Better meter roll again, because you're full screen,

Like I said, it is not a viable option against Deadshot. People who write articles like this, are catering to people that hate the idea of nerfs, however necessary or justified. I'm against the "wait and see" approach from this point forward. He's broken today, he's broken tomorrow, he's broken when super-good-counter-pick A is DLC.

But whatever. F&^%$ it. I don't take this game seriously anymore. The only reason why it's a competitive game is because NRS/WB are throwing money at it. It's not tournament worthy.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Not against straight shot it isn't. Maybe after you block MB rifle, you have time to get in with MB roll, and get pushed out again with safe B1, B1 2, U3. Then guess what? Better meter roll again, because you're full screen,

Like I said, it is not a viable option against Deadshot. People who write articles like this, are catering to people that hate the idea of nerfs, however necessary or justified. I'm against the "wait and see" approach from this point forward. He's broken today, he's broken tomorrow, he's broken when super-good-counter-pick A is DLC.

But whatever. F&^%$ it. I don't take this game seriously anymore. The only reason why it's a competitive game is because NRS/WB are throwing money at it. It's not tournament worthy.
So remove his safe 50/50s and safe wake ups. Zoning is strong but beatable.

You don't take it seriously anymore? game just came out, Its fucking amazing and I can't stop playing it.

I feel like you can't be taken seriously anymore lol. just drop it and go play something else instead. you're are not mentally capable of playing this type of games at a high level.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
So remove his safe 50/50s and safe wake ups. Zoning is strong but beatable.

You don't take it seriously anymore? game just came out, Its fucking amazing and I can't stop playing it.

I feel like you can't be taken seriously anymore lol. just drop it and go play something else instead. you're are not mentally capable of playing this type of games at a high level.
The safe 50/50s and wakeups would be a good start, but like I said, I don't care at this point. As far as me not being "mentally capable" to play the game at a high level, as far as I'm concerned, the game isn't worthy of high level play, period. NRS has shown that they can't handle catering to casual fans and the competitive scene at the same time; at least, not without years of balance patches fixing the broken crap that shouldn't have been released to begin with. After DS is fixed, some other broken DLC sh#@$ is on the horizon, and then we'll have the same discussion all over again.

But if you disagree that's fine. If you love the game, and you're having fun with it, and you want to compete in Injustice 2, go right ahead. Personally, I'll be playing some ranked, and some sets with friends, but I will not be entering any tournaments online or offline. That's for a game more worthy of my time.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
^Again the game just came the fuck out, how can you tell that it's not "tournament worthy"?

Like I said if you can't handle it just go. no time for scrubs here.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
^Again the game just came the fuck out, how can you tell that it's not "tournament worthy"?

Like I said if you can't handle it just go. no time for scrubs here.
I said it's not tournament worthy *in my opinion*.

I'm not trying to state my opinion as fact. I'm just calling it like I see it. As far as what I will play and what I will say, that's up to me, not you. You don't like it, you better press ignore, because I'm not going anywhere.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
The pleb folk should not be able to give it's vote about what should be changed in this game (or any other).

Shaka

Tier Whore.
I said it's not tournament worthy *in my opinion*.

I'm not trying to state my opinion as fact. I'm just calling it like I see it. As far as what I will play and what I will say, that's up to me, not you. You don't like it, you better press ignore, because I'm not going anywhere.
The game is just been out for about a week, how long did it take you to make up your mind? Let me guess you got the game, finished story mode, jump online no training mode whatsoever and in the first 3 games you decided the game is shit cause you faced a DS player?

armani

Noob
The safe 50/50s and wakeups would be a good start, but like I said, I don't care at this point. As far as me not being "mentally capable" to play the game at a high level, as far as I'm concerned, the game isn't worthy of high level play, period. NRS has shown that they can't handle catering to casual fans and the competitive scene at the same time; at least, not without years of balance patches fixing the broken crap that shouldn't have been released to begin with. After DS is fixed, some other broken DLC sh#@$ is on the horizon, and then we'll have the same discussion all over again.

But if you disagree that's fine. If you love the game, and you're having fun with it, and you want to compete in Injustice 2, go right ahead. Personally, I'll be playing some ranked, and some sets with friends, but I will not be entering any tournaments online or offline. That's for a game more worthy of my time.
I've actually been able to get in on Deadshot players using the MB roll plus some other mind games. it's really not that hard. learning ONE matchup vs. complaining about the entire game is better for the community, cause we're tired of seeing shit posts like this, and also your pocket, cause you spent $60 for this game. I was lurking around the forum during the MKX days and people complained like this for weeks on end - for really stupid reasons - and that's when NRS started their sporadic balance changes which fucked up the game to an extent.

and if the game isn't worthy of high level play, why are you so concerned with character balance?
the game just came out a week ago

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm finding TYMers to be scrubbier this days. The guy has some valid points.
TYM is scrubier since MKX came out, they individualize each other, start illuminati chats and discords, hide tech and research among the "top class" and hardly share, align themselves as a team making rivalries less fun and boring since everyone is on the same team now, helpful content is hard to find, a bunch of combo videos with jump in starters are posted all the time some of them are not even practical, start guides without having researched the game, hate working together to put useful information out.

Right now, i think the mentality of TYM in general has gone pretty small after IGAU, and the biggest issue its that is contageous, every new comer in the community has a chance of either allienate against the forum, or become a dick themselves, catching the same habits and patterns because they don't have that top helpful players to guide them and explains things to them. Reason why you see lots of scrubity nowadays.

Top players and tournament players have become better over experience among the years to spot mistakes and brokeness, figure the meta and such in very short time of lifespan, but individualism imo is what is taking the breath away from TYM.

I've learned a lot coming to this site back in 2010/2011 TYM came out strong ever since, content sharing and technical discussions brought a lot of top players today pretty far in this community, some of them are even testers or working for NRS now, but that only happened because there was no individualism, everyone was willing to levelup as much as everyone was willing to play to win.

Hiyomoto

Noob
I think he's fine. I don't really have a problem playing against Deadshots unless the player is actually skilled in the game. I've yet to lose to a "spamming scrub" Deadshot player. A perfectly timed meterburn roll will set him up for a whiff punish.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)

This is why people leave tym the guy was pretty polite in the op and kept saying we should wait and see but you respond in such a toxic way lol.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
This is why people leave tym the guy was pretty polite in the op and kept saying we should wait and see but you respond in such a toxic way lol.
Look it. Please don't take what I'm saying the wrong way. I have decided that for myself, personally, Injustice 2 is not worth travelling for, or competing for in any online event. Yes, the game is fun. Yes, I spent my money on it already, so I will try to enjoy it as much as possible. But from a serious, competitive standpoint, I think the game us flawed already. IMHO Deadshot is clearly broken now, and he will be six weeks from now, until he is changed. Whether or not you can get around, or counterpick his brokenness, is irrelevant, imo. As far as "wait and see" , I have seen MKX, and I have seen the NRS track record on DLC. I expect more brokenness in the future.

So again, my mind is made up regarding what I'm going to do personally. But please don't take my opinion as a statement of fact, or an effort to change your mind at all.

I'm really not trying to be toxic. I just don't think this is going to be a game that I'm going to compete in. It does have some value as a fighter and it is fun though, so I'll continue to play and help others in the XBL community.

That's really all I can say. I'm sorry if I upset you.