What's new

Ed Boon teases "big surprise" for Mortal Kombat coming in 2020

Gamer68

Fujin!
Was browsing Reddit and saw something about this. Basically, Ed Boon was at the Brazil Game Show recently and during an interview he was asked:
Question: Do we have any news, or a new project, about Mortal Kombat for the future?
Answer by Boon: "Well, yes and no. You know, the story of Mortal Kombat, we are pretty much calling this one (MK11) the end of the story. But we're certainly not through with Mortal Kombat. There's more characters that are going to come and we've got a BIG surprise coming in 2020 for Mortal Kombat."​

Obviously it's pretty vague and it's hard to tell whether or not he was talking about MK11 specifically or just something related to the MK franchise. But whatever it is, Ed says it's big and he says that with a smile. I think it would make sense if Kombat Pack 2 was the surprise he was talking about considering more characters have already leaked in the past (Fujin, Sheeva, and Ash Williams) but there's no way to know for sure. Personally I'm crossing my fingers for a Shaolin Monks Remaster or even sequel announcement and release in 2021 - 2022 for the new systems coming out, but maybe that's asking for too much.

Anyway, you can watch the interview yourself here:

(The question was asked at around 2:27 or so, BTW):

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
It's Kombat Pack 2.

I want to get excited for something nuts, like an MK9 re-release or MK11 doing literally anything at all with the other realms...but it's almost certainly Kombat Pack 2, and it'll be a six-pack instead of three to keep things fresh until whatever their first PS5 endeavor is.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I don’t think he’s talking about KP2 because he says “more characters to come” right before, I figure that’s KP2. But who knows, I’ll try not to get my hopes up.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
What does he mean "we're calling this one the end of the story"?? that would be super lame :(
I remember seeing an interview with boon shortly after MK11 released where he said MK11 was going to be supported longer than any previous MK but he wants to branch out into other genres and away from fighters.

The above quote solidifys it for me. I'm betting MK11 is the last of it after 25 long years but I imagine it will be supported in tournament years to come.
Makes sense why datamines showed extensions to the game modes, krypt and roster.
With how slow the DLC are dropping and datamines showing 19 DLC it makes a ton of sense that the franchise is ending after MK11.

I seriously hope I'm wrong and Ed changes his mind because I love Mortal Kombat more than any fighter and want to see how amazing the graphics and characters progress over the years.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I remember seeing an interview with boon shortly after MK11 released where he said MK11 was going to be supported longer than any previous MK but he wants to branch out into other genres and away from fighters.

The above quote solidifys it for me. I'm betting MK11 is the last of it after 25 long years but I imagine it will be supported in tournament years to come.
Makes sense why datamines showed extensions to the game modes, krypt and roster.
With how slow the DLC are dropping and datamines showing 19 DLC it makes a ton of sense that the franchise is ending after MK11.

I seriously hope I'm wrong and Ed changes his mind because I love Mortal Kombat more than any fighter and want to see how amazing the graphics and characters progress over the years.
See the sadder reality that I see is that Warner brothers sees Mortal Kombat as a cash cow and has Netherrealm play the safe card and dish out another one later.

i consider myself somewhat of a story junkie, and the fact that Mk11 might be the end of the story for the franchise is disgusting to me tbh

Back on subject, I am pretty sure the new change or exciting thing is going to be a krypt update and Kombat Pack 2

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
lol.... one of the best selling game of 2019 and the best seller ever for NRS will end a franchise.. your dreaming. There will be a MK12. Do not kid yourself.

I am keen to see what this "surprise" would be. I would like a 3rd fighter of some type.. maybe a team battle one like DBZ or one based around weapons as a main focus... or maybe go back to 3D now tech is so much better like Tekken or something.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The entire time reading and watching this, I thought he was reffering to the Mortal Kombat movie.

I'm surprised no one has brought it up yet....

It's been in production for a while now and would likely start pushing out trailers next year.

He directly says it's big news for Mortal Kombat, but he doesn't seem to be talking about MK11 directly the whole time.

DeftMonk

Noob
its probably the mk movie (didn’t see circus’s post before me but ya I agree). And just to troll us add in a mk moba for cell phones