What's new

Ed Boon teases "big surprise" for Mortal Kombat coming in 2020

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
they will put Neo from Matrix series as DLC. At the other hand the new MK movie on the horizon. But i don't think there gonna be a New MK game announcement. Also i am pretty sure MK 11 is not the last MK game. That is just end of the story but stories can be rewritten.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I'm not going to hope or expect anything. Ed Boon and NRS have teased "big" surprises in the past where it turned out not to really be all that big or special. I'll just wait and see what they have in store for us and take it all with a grain of salt. Might sound pessimistic, but I just try and avoid disappointments.

Gamer68

Fujin!
What does he mean "we're calling this one the end of the story"?? that would be super lame :(
I remember seeing an interview with boon shortly after MK11 released where he said MK11 was going to be supported longer than any previous MK but he wants to branch out into other genres and away from fighters.

The above quote solidifys it for me. I'm betting MK11 is the last of it after 25 long years but I imagine it will be supported in tournament years to come.
Makes sense why datamines showed extensions to the game modes, krypt and roster.
With how slow the DLC are dropping and datamines showing 19 DLC it makes a ton of sense that the franchise is ending after MK11.

I seriously hope I'm wrong and Ed changes his mind because I love Mortal Kombat more than any fighter and want to see how amazing the graphics and characters progress over the years.
I don't think MK11 is the actual last MK game, they sell too well and people love the series so they aren't going to stop. It's just going to be the last one for a while and the end of the current story. With the way MK11's story ended, I'm assuming that a lot of things will be different in the next MK game.

But yeah, Ed has made some comments that makes it sound like they are done doing MK/Injustice over and over again. I remember the GameInformer Q&A video with Ed that came out a few weeks before MK11, he said something like "On a 1-10 scale we want to make a NEW game 9-10" or something like that. Pretty sure he also said that the studio was now comfortable and experienced enough to do something new. There was some other things he (and maybe other devs) said leading up to release that made it sound like NRS was tired of MK, and I remember thinking that was a really weird vibe to give off when you are trying to hype people up for a new MK game. It's was like "Hey guys, we are super tired right now and wish we were making something new, but we have a new MK game coming out soon. Please buy. Oh yeah, don't forget to pre-order for Shao Kahn. Bye."

The entire time reading and watching this, I thought he was reffering to the Mortal Kombat movie.

I'm surprised no one has brought it up yet....

It's been in production for a while now and would likely start pushing out trailers next year.

He directly says it's big news for Mortal Kombat, but he doesn't seem to be talking about MK11 directly the whole time.
I thought of that too, but it's not really a surprise. It's already been announced and people know about it, I think Ed has even talked about it on his Twitter. We know the cast, when it started filming, when it's supposed to be out, that it will be Rated R most likely, etc.

FDMK

FDMK Webmaster
I've been dying for a new story line for quite a while now. Either something far in the past or in the future, or a different universe althogether.

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
Every MK game is essentially a reboot now and it's kinda pathetic.

It really speaks to the lack of creativity in the studio that we can't get past the same handful of tired pallete swap ninjas and boring protagonists.

They tried in MKX with the Kombat Kids, and failed because it was a poor repackaging of the same thing. They can't break the mold.

I remember seeing an interview with boon shortly after MK11 released where he said MK11 was going to be supported longer than any previous MK but he wants to branch out into other genres and away from fighters.

The above quote solidifys it for me. I'm betting MK11 is the last of it after 25 long years but I imagine it will be supported in tournament years to come.
Makes sense why datamines showed extensions to the game modes, krypt and roster.
With how slow the DLC are dropping and datamines showing 19 DLC it makes a ton of sense that the franchise is ending after MK11.

I seriously hope I'm wrong and Ed changes his mind because I love Mortal Kombat more than any fighter and want to see how amazing the graphics and characters progress over the years.
I definitely agree this is the end of this timeline and that MK11 will be supported for years to come, but ngl, I kinda laughed at the notion that WB would ever give up such a profitable franchise.

Every MK game is essentially a reboot now and it's kinda pathetic.

It really speaks to the lack of creativity in the studio that we can't get past the same handful of tired pallete swap ninjas and boring protagonists.

They tried in MKX with the Kombat Kids, and failed because it was a poor repackaging of the same thing. They can't break the mold.
I think the reason the Kombat Kids failed wasn't because of the characters. It was because NRS refused to drop the characters these ones were meant to "replace".

I mean, seriously, Cassie, Takeda, and Kung Jin are essentially fan favorites. Jacqui isn't quite there, but her MK11 iteration has boosted her popularity. You can't convince me the wider playerbase wouldn't support these new characters as much as the old. As much as I love Johnny, Sonya, Kung Lao, Kenshi, and Jax, none of them are as iconic as Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, or Liu Kang. The casual audience (the vast majority of MK's playerbase) would probably barely notice.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I definitely agree this is the end of this timeline and that MK11 will be supported for years to come, but ngl, I kinda laughed at the notion that WB would ever give up such a profitable franchise.
I hope I'm dreaming about the end of MK games and the interview Cruz I want more MK's years to come. If I'm not mistaken WB can't do anything without the CO-Founders (NRS) approval and if they want to quit making fighting games I don't think WB can force their hand or go on without them signing off on that.

I think the reason the Kombat Kids failed wasn't because of the characters. It was because NRS refused to drop the characters these ones were meant to "replace".

I mean, seriously, Cassie, Takeda, and Kung Jin are essentially fan favorites. Jacqui isn't quite there, but her MK11 iteration has boosted her popularity. You can't convince me the wider playerbase wouldn't support these new characters as much as the old. As much as I love Johnny, Sonya, Kung Lao, Kenshi, and Jax, none of them are as iconic as Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, or Liu Kang. The casual audience (the vast majority of MK's playerbase) would probably barely notice.
Imagine Johnny Cage and Jax not being iconic lol.

Kung Lao is almost there, people almost always associate bladed hats with “that guy from mk.” But they can never remember his name or confuse him with Raiden.

Prolly custom variations , new game mode , extended krypt and kp2 . Hope for kp3 and so on but its just a shot in the dark. As far as Kombat kids , they suffer from the same problem the originals did . In order for people to like them , they need to be plain broken . I could bet that if sk was s tier , noone would even consider playing special forces characters. Even less if they (special forces/kombat kids) were mid tier and lower . So to sum it up , im sick of jax/sonya/johny/kano and theyr never miss a mk game status but even then , solution is not to just gender swap and buff theyr moves so they can be top tier in order to be supported by audience.

Makuholick

Killa Queen
It's clear they can't make a viable fighting game anymore, and the newest story mode got entirely retconned. I don't care if and would prefer the main games come to a close. I'm tired of hitboxes and zoning. It's time for actual fun.
As for the actual surprise, it's probably just something about that stupid movie because that's how Boon is nowadays. Personally, I'd like Shaolin Monks II, an MK2/MK3 remake with newer designs(like Deception Sub and MK9 Kitana), Online Play and KAF, or an animated show with real (but at least not bloody) fighting.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The entire time reading and watching this, I thought he was reffering to the Mortal Kombat movie.

I'm surprised no one has brought it up yet....

It's been in production for a while now and would likely start pushing out trailers next year.

He directly says it's big news for Mortal Kombat, but he doesn't seem to be talking about MK11 directly the whole time.
My thoughts exactly.

But I still have a feeling he's talking about the movie trailer and KP2, it's probably both.