What's new

Ed Boon Q&A on Twitter

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Its a really fun concept. It requires actual strategy too since you can't have duplicates. Do you put your main as your numerous pawns, or as your final line of defense? I think it could be really dope if it came back
The different pieces also had different health bars from what I remember too. Seeing, like, an 8-man invitational Chess Kombat tournament would be great. lol

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
The different pieces also had different health bars from what I remember too. Seeing, like, an 8-man invitational Chess Kombat tournament would be great. lol
You could also place exploding hidden traps that instantly took one piece out if the enemy stepped on it, you could swap your pieces with the position of another from the adversary, you could freeze an enemy piece for one round, etc etc etc. There were lots of "spells" and nuances to the game, while being easy to understand and fun.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Damn Boon dont tease us like that! Hype rises.

IDK if we have a Ed Boon watch thread but, what are we thinking y'all? 12 hours, 12 days? April 12th? :eek:
April 12th, I didn't put that together but holy crap that has a strong case. April is always a big month for NRS. They've released every single one of their games in April, going all the way back to MK9.
April 12th is WB HBO Max event. Maybe it isnt only Streaming stuff after all.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
The chess part was, but it regularly forced you into fights and the game's fighting mechanics were pretty bad, so no, it wasn't fun.
So were MK11's, and yet many (maybe most people, arguably) had lots of fun with it. Yet, MK11 only had the vs mode and that grind-fest of towers of time with 765 poison missiles everywhere on screen. So, yes, Chess Kombat should return and it would be light-years ahead in terms of fun alternative modes than what MK11 had to offer.

So were MK11's, and yet many (maybe most people, arguably) had lots of fun with it. Yet, MK11 only had the vs mode and that grind-fest of towers of time with 765 poison missiles everywhere on screen. So, yes, Chess Kombat should return and it would be light-years ahead in terms of fun alternative modes than what MK11 had to offer.
Not in nearly the same way, and most people had lots of fun with it because it was significantly better gameplay than the 3D era.

I also don't have an issue with Chess Kombat or other mini-games returning. Marlow was asking if it was fun, and the answer was the chess part was goal, but the actual fighting mechanics of the 3D era were not enjoyable at all and thus the mode was not fun for what it was.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I said Chess Kombat, but I’ve never actually played it I just like chess. Was it actually fun?
I loved it and it got me to try multiple different character and strategize more effectively. Characters had different health pools too so you'd have like your pawns with lower health than your queen or knight(different names like sorcerer was one of I recall). I would gladly play it again in a new game....it would probably be phenomenal now.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Not in nearly the same way, and most people had lots of fun with it because it was significantly better gameplay than the 3D era.

I also don't have an issue with Chess Kombat or other mini-games returning. Marlow was asking if it was fun, and the answer was the chess part was goal, but the actual fighting mechanics of the 3D era were not enjoyable at all and thus the mode was not fun for what it was.
Yeah, except we didnt have MK11 to compare to MKD's mechanics back then, so not sure what your argument is?

It seems to me that you didn't enjoy MKD gameplay itself, which is a perfectly valid opinion and, therefore, didn't enjoy chess kombat (because it, well, had MKD gameplay intertwined with it). That is all fine and dandy but it is significantly different than chess kombat not being fun itself, which was your original argument.

Chess Kombat was fun.
Trying to dodge infinte homing missiles in MK11's Towers of Time was not.
Both had their respective game's core base gameplay at its foundation.

I loved it and it got me to try multiple different character and strategize more effectively. Characters had different health pools too so you'd have like your pawns with lower health than your queen or knight(different names like sorcerer was one of I recall). I would gladly play it again in a new game....it would probably be phenomenal now.
You could also not use offensive/defensive spells if your offensive/defensive sorcerer was killed! I thought that was very neat.

It seems to me that you didn't enjoy MKD gameplay itself, which is a perfectly valid opinion and, therefore, didn't enjoy chess kombat (because it, well, had MKD gameplay intertwined with it). That is all fine and dandy but it is significantly different than chess kombat not being fun itself, which was your original argument.
I didn't enjoy the 3D era gameplay at all because it was blatantly klunky and bad. You're the one who's comparing it to Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate's gameplay, and the core gameplay, while having it's own flaws, is leaps and bounds superior to that of the 3D era.

The 3D gameplay era killed any enjoyment of Chess Kombat, and therefore the game mode was not fun at all. Puzzle Kombat was great because it truly was just the mini-game.

If you didn't have an issue with the 3D era gameplay, that's great, glad you enjoyed it.

Trying to dodge infinte homing missiles in MK11's Towers of Time was not.
The Gauntlet, or Towers of Time in general? The Gauntlet was not fun, thus why I've not played through it. Regular Towers of Time are fine (they weren't at launch but were adjusted).

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
I didn't enjoy the 3D era gameplay at all because it was blatantly klunky and bad. You're the one who's comparing it to Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate's gameplay, and the core gameplay, while having it's own flaws, is leaps and bounds superior to that of the 3D era.
To this day MK still gets the complaint that it feels clunky. And there's been whole dissection vids on the animation of nrs games bringing more attention to it. It just feels ingrained in MK identity. You may not agree, but it gets spouted by more people. Yes it's more polished than before, but it's still a common criticism of nrs. I get not vibing with an era of a franchise (this is era I haven't been vibing with) but to make it seem like it was so egregiously offensive when they still get the same complaints decades later just seems too nitpicky lol

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
It is like Star Wars.. When the prequels came out, people rightly hated them, but kids loved them. They are now adults, and you see more and more people speaking up how much they loved them. The same will happen with the new ones that everyone seems to hate. One day they will be beloved and whatever is new will be hated.

The 3D era is the same. kind of thing.

You can't argue with someone's childhood nostalgia. Different strokes to different folks and all that. When you're a young kid you like stuff and then most people like that same stuff when they are older. It is that simple. The 3D Era in MK was crap for me personally, but there are people that literally played those games constantly and grew up with it... it is "their game".. it was simply the game they played as a kid and loved as a kid.. and still love. Loving them is as legit as loving anything.

No doubt it's a bummer for Ed Boon when stuff gets leaked but I bet he still gets a great kick out of the MK community just eating up anything he decides to release on twitter when they're truly in the dark on something. The man could post a picture of pocket lint and fans will be like "This must mean something!"