What's new

Question Ed Boon asks: "WHO DO YOU THINK ARE THE TOP 5 MOST OP FIGHTERS IN MKXL?"

Who do you think are the 5 most "OP" fighters in MKXL?

• Total voters

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Yeah go ahead and run up to Leatherface, he's got a quick chainsaw overhead reaching 3/4 of the screen waiting for ya.
As someone who plays Leatherface, in order to get in on him you need patience. If you block the back 2 he's minus enough for you to run in on him and start your pressure. If you get in on pretty lady, it should be over because his armor and defensive options in general are pretty doo doo

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
As someone who plays Leatherface, in order to get in on him you need patience. If you block the back 2 he's minus enough for you to run in on him and start your pressure. If you get in on pretty lady, it should be over because his armor and defensive options in general are pretty doo doo
O yeah, it can be done, but the person working in has a MUCH harder time. See I feel balance is not just what is possible, but also what is practical, but that's just my "scrub mentality."

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
O yeah, it can be done, but the person working in has a MUCH harder time. See I feel balance is not just what is possible, but also what is practical, but that's just my "scrub mentality."
It really comes down to playing against a LOT of Pretty Lady. Then again that's this game, about learning matchups.

E

Eldriken

It is my opinion that a character should not be able to dominate every character in the game who lacks a certain tool. Example if a character requires that the opponent have a teleport to stand a chance, than either that character needs to be nerfed or everybody gets a teleport.
War God doesn't have any tools to deal with zoning like Blood/Sun God do, yet the MU seems manageable to me. Just don't play like a jackass and be smart about your approach. It's the same concept against any zoner in the game. You just have to work your way in. Sure, some characters have a harder time than others, but that doesn't make it impossible.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
It really comes down to playing against a LOT of Pretty Lady. Then again that's this game, about learning matchups.
Yeah but unless I'm a serious player, I'm not going to spend hours and hours learning how to do this one very annoying thing just to beat this one specific character. It's just not fun or meaningful.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Thats 1 of there tons of patches they did lmao.

You mean like this one for Kenshi where he received a lot of help and STILL is one of the worst?

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Latest-Updates/Hotfix-6-1-15/ba-p/534237

Or their second largest patch to date, the one I guess you're referring to with the "10 changes lawl". Do you remember what these characters were like before these changes? They gave one character much needed buffs because she was largely meh or just straight bad (Jacquie), buffed some lesser used or bad variations like Gunslinger and Venomous, moved one character from a consensus bottom character to mid (Goro), gave a ton of changes to Cryo and Unbreakable.

The problem of this patch stems from characters like Takeda and Mileena constantly getting these minute buffs to where they're solidly mid-high or high tier and then further buffed. They sneakily get better and better and then one day you look at them and go "why are they so good?" That's where NRS messes up, they give solid characters more and more buffs until it all comes to a head and you're left with nonsense.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
And that there's your problem. The game shouldn't be changed to cater to the lowest common denominator.
Yeah us fucking casuals fuck it up because we don't spend three hours to develope a way around a tactic that our opponent spent 15 seconds on.

I guess the notion that something that doesn't take much to do should not take much to defend is another one of my scrub mentalities.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Yeah us fucking casuals fuck it up because we don't spend three hours to develope a way around a tactic that our opponent spent 15 seconds on.

It doesn't take hours to lab a matchup a lot of times and you'll get an idea of what to do just playing against a character. People to this day still ask me which Spec Ops rocket hits low and which one overhead after I play them. Meanwhile people that play me weekly can recognize the setups and how to counter them. Just play against it enough and you'll get it.

E

Eldriken

I guess the notion that something that doesn't take much to do should not take much to defend is another one of my scrub mentalities.
Not wanting to dedicate time to get around something that you're complaining about is the problem, dude.

"NERF MORE, WORK LESS!" is going to be TYM's motto soon enough. :|

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Yes exactly :D. Glad you understand it now.
Well, I have a wife, a job, and I go back to school. OH and I sometimes play games other than Mortal Kombat. *shudders*

If I was making money or otherwise moving my life forward in a meaningful way I'd spend hours in practice mode too.

I just wish that success in a game had to with outsmarting my opponent rather than just doing tedious things to overcome some lame tactic.

The madden football equivelent is that I can have way more knowledge of football than my opponent, but if my opponent runs some play scheme that just manipulates the AI, Yeah I can learn a way to counter it, but at that point I'm not playing football anymore, and I just wanted to play football.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Well, I have a wife, a job, and I go back to school. OH and I sometimes play games other than Mortal Kombat. *shudders*

If I was making money or otherwise moving my life forward in a meaningful way I'd spend hours in practice mode too.

I just wish that success in a game had to with outsmarting my opponent rather than just doing tedious things to overcome some lame tactic.

The madden football equivelent is that I can have way more knowledge of football than my opponent, but if my opponent runs some play scheme that just manipulates the AI, Yeah I can learn a way to counter it, but at that point I'm not playing football anymore, and I just wanted to play football.
Is MKX your first fighting game?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

I work 20 hours a week, spend 40+ hours a week at uni, an extra 15 or so studying, 10 hours volunteering and I go out with friends and play other games as well. What's your point?

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
No. I've been playing them for a long time, and I get that there are always going to be things like this. I'm not like mad or anything. The thread is about balance, and I am describing the ways that I think about balance.
Well, but what you're describing isn't really balance, it's just that you're not willing to put in the work and lab stuff. Welcome to fighting games where not everything is a walk in the park.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

I work, am going back to school, go out with friends a lot, go to anime conventions, edit videos and make music as a hobby, have a youtube channel, am currently over 40 hours in Stick of Truth over the past month or so, playing my vita constantly (Danganronpa 2 currently), practicing other fighters like SFV, Skullgirls, KoFXIV, and Arcana Hearts. I made top 16 at Winter Brawl and top 32 at Combo Breaker, the last two majors I attended. You can find 2 hours a week for MK if you care enough.

Don't understand this part.

Outsmart like how? And fighting games are the epitome of tedium. You will spend hours upon hours practicing combos, matchups, etc.

If your opponent is running a scheme that manipulates the AI then you can see the pattern of what they're doing and adjust the defensive scheme/player accordingly. Regardless, it's not really the same since there's a lot of moving parts that's outside the players control. In fighters you are in control of every action and it's just using the knowledge of your characters tools to counter your opponents tools. How do you counter your opponents tools? Practice.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I work 20 hours a week, spend 40+ hours a week at uni, an extra 15 or so studying, 10 hours volunteering and I go out with friends and play other games as well. What's your point?
My point is that work pretty hard, and have a lot of priorities that come before gaming. Gaming is a recreational pastime for me. So when I get the free time to enjoy myself with a game. I want to spent my time playing the game in a non-serious and fun sort of way. Spending time figuring out ways to block dash through projectiles isn't fun. BTW I CAN DO IT.

I know how to block dash or neutral crouch and work my way in, it's just about as much fun to me as filling out paperwork that's all. It's a situation I can get through, so is waiting in line at the DMV. It's not something I want to do in my limited free time though.

Espio

Kokomo

Hold up there for a second. Any hobby you do whether it's playing a sport like Tennis or Football, learning how to do multiplication or playing fighting games requires time investment and sometimes you will need to do research and practice.

Time investment is essential for improvement and actually internalizing concepts and improving in dealing with scenarios. If you're not willing to do that then you're not serious about your hobby and that's fine, but that also means you should respect your lack of time and commitment and not try to overextend yourself or behave as though you have more knowledge on balance than you actually do.

I would say the majority of competitive players have a life outside of the game whether it be college, work, internships, friends, sports (for a great many people it's a combination of all these things) yet people make time because they're serious about improving and have chosen to manage their time properly.

Everyone else has many things going for them and still manages to hit the lab. You don't have to be there for hours or long periods of time. I found a lot of tech for Hawkgirl in Injustice and other characters being in the lab for 5-10 minutes at a time between homework or dinner. Time management is a useful skill, it's not hard to acquire, but you have to be serious.

If you're fine with just having fun and being casual, that is also fine, but then I also wouldn't comment too much on the balance aspects of a game.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
My point is that work pretty hard, and have a lot of priorities that come before gaming. Gaming is a recreational pastime for me. So when I get the free time to enjoy myself with a game. I want to spent my time playing the game in a non-serious and fun sort of way. Spending time figuring out ways to block dash through projectiles isn't fun. BTW I CAN DO IT.

I know how to block dash or neutral crouch and work my way in, it's just about as much fun to me as filling out paperwork that's all. It's a situation I can get through, so is waiting in line at the DMV. It's not something I want to do in my limited free time though.
But fun is highly subjective.

I actually do find working my way in against an opponent to be very fun. I play high tech Jacqui and she's not exactly blessed in the range or projectile department.

EDIT:
For an analogy, I like tennis but I hate serving and having to return serves. Therefore the game of tennis should be modified so that all serves are underhand so I don't have to deal with the part of tennis I like the least.

It takes heaps of time to develop a good tennis serve and I don't want to have to put in the effort since I only play tennis for fun and not for money.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
Did anyone see Sonic's top 5?

It was Mileena, Alien, Sonya, Takeda, Ermac, in that order.

Swap Sonya and Mileea, put Kano ahead of Takeda and bump Ermac to #6 and that's mine.

Interesting that Sonic has Mileena at #1.

Footwurk played fistcuffs against me one day in casuals and bodied me in the set. It was like his third day playing the character. These people can expose things that weren't intended or are stronger than thought and get adjustments but NRS isn't going "look at Sonicfox win with Cassie, she needs nerfs". They see it in action, test it, think if it needs to be touched, and touch it or don't.
My point is that the pros get characters nerfed not just Sonic. Alien is going to get his or hers or whatever that ridiculous thing is that has no business being in this game.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Did anyone see Sonic's top 5?

It was Mileena, Alien, Sonya, Takeda, Ermac, in that order.

Swap Sonya and Mileea, put Kano ahead of Takeda and bump Ermac to #6 and that's mine.

Interesting that Sonic has Mileena at #1.
So essentially you have a completely different top 5 to sonic lol.