What's new

Easy non-traditional combos/juggles?

I'm playing the UMK3 XBL version(1.2), so only combos that work with that revision/version.

I was just wondering what were the first combos, juggles and punishers that you learned? So far I have only been able to do these:

Reptile dashing juggle
Sub-Zero's air starter, the one where you freeze them in the air, punch and freeze again, double punch, JK, slide.(46% I think)
Very simple punishers with reptile, smokes,scorpion, sub-zero's, etc
and not much else...

I was just wondering which ones you did first and which ones you would suggest I start off trying?

Maybe someone would be kind enough to make a video showing all the ones that begginers should start off with, but thats a lot of effort, so I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Cheers

Sub-Zero's anti-air HP to freeze is a great way for beginners to start learning the anti-air combo aspect of the game. Once you get the hang of it, use that in conjunction with the HP, HP, JK combo you mentioned, and remember to push them close to the corner and try to get a standing HK afterwards for a nice little 50%

Oh and I wouldn't recommend sliding after that combo cause it's usually blockable, and punishable.

Cheers chaps! aaHP's are the one thing I can not do at all, unless my opponent is frozen, caught in a web, etc. Thank you for the sliding tip, I have not yet been punished from it, but its good to know :) .
One thing, I presume aaHP's work even if the jumping player is kicking or punching, otherwise it would be pointless, but sometimes it doesn't work and I get hit. What am I doing wrong, am I punching too late/early or is it where I am standing?

Or am I just useless at this game? ;)

Tim Static

Adminerator
Robo-Homo is the easiest to learn and with the most damage as well, especially for starters.

aaHP, TU, aaHP, spear, auto combo is around 54% I think.

Sonya has a aaHP, JK, leg grab thats only 3 hits, but 43% damage.

Read the strategy guide too. You will learn SO much. :D

Thanks again. I hate robot smoke, but I will practice with him, offline ;) . I'll also keep reading the guide over and over again, until I have it memorized. ;)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Something you should try doing is, rather than thinking about each combo individually, find the similarities between them and establish pieces as "concepts" or techniques or whatever.

For instance vs male ninja teleports, Kabal has the very simple aaHP to spin, which sets up the moderately difficult aaHPHP, JK, aFB. Liu Kang can do the aaHPHP, JK, aFB as well, but he doesn't have a set up for it. So apply the concept to Liu Kang's punisher from the second part of Kabal's. And basically, the most difficult parts are the run cancel after the punches which enables you to get into the air faster, and remembering to tap the first back on contact with the JK, so it'll come out instantly after.

Liu Kang's punisher is slightly more difficult because it doesn't have the set up to create a perfect scenario along with time to do it, similar to an aaFreeze would with Sub, but in general it shouldn't be hard to get once you learn that the punishment scenario is in fact that perfect scenario. You should however put a step forward before the juggle otherwise the second HP will not connect. What is difficult however, is adding the extra Dragon Kick to the end.

Once you learn the nuances of performing the juggles with style, the moderate ones will become the easy ones. Run canceling, buffering etc, all make the juggles easier and this is something few players master. For instance with Liu Kang's punisher, rather than trying to time everything specifically, utilize buffering. He can do F, F, pause, HK, for the Dragon Kick, so in the air you would do his fireball, and the F,F of the Dragon Kick right after, this way when you land you just press HK and he'll do it instantly.

Applying these concepts to other things, specifically the aaHPHP, JK will create easier performance for many punishers, adding damage. Jax and Kano can easily get aaHPHP, JK, air throw but most of the time you see people do very lazy punishers involving a single punch to a special move. Of course Scorpion and Smoke benefit from the aaHPHP JK as well, in their b&b combos. Ermac can also do this for easier combos but they result in about 20% less damage than his more difficult ones. Kung Lao can utilize the aaHPHP, JK going into his cross screen infinite, eliminating damage protection, Nightwolf also has an aaHPHP, JK Arrow combo that does decent damage and is a lot easier than it looks.

Shock I think that was the most informative post i have seen in a long time, that helped me out a lot! Thanks! That should be in the guide section, I never understood run canceling to well until now.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Shock I think that was the most informative post i have seen in a long time, that helped me out a lot! Thanks! That should be in the guide section, I never understood run canceling to well until now.
I think run canceling is already in the guide section, the other stuff is sort of tie in concepts. I might have to add a blurb to that section for the techniques.

FILER

Noob
Skate, gg's today, I appreciate you not dropping on me even though the matches didn't go your way. Send me a FR and I will show you a few things.

MONSTER VBC

dubson

Noob
He he, I was wondering why he didn't mention the aaHp to Spin part. Dont worry, Im sure he will understand :p
You dont have to start the combo with a aaHP.

Sometimes your all the way accross the screen and spin and you catch em in a jump, and in that case would just be aaHP,HP, JK, Forceball, which is what he was describing. Once you get that down, then begin starting the combo with an aaHP.

You were asking for basic combos, and generally people dont start off with anti air starter combos.

I hate people who drop and people who quit to the lobby after they lose and dont want to get finished.
It was pretty good fun FILER, I was jumping up and down on my sofa with joy when I beat you. Just let the record show though, that I only beat him once out of ten or so matches, so I'm not boasting ;) , hehe. I shall add you straight away.

Thanks Dubson, that would make more sense.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder

Sometimes your all the way accross the screen and spin and you catch em in a jump, and in that case would just be aaHP,HP, JK, Forceball, which is what he was describing. Once you get that down, then begin starting the combo with an aaHP.

Regardless, he was asking for basic combos, and generally people dont start off with anti air starter combos.
true, anti air isnt exactly beginner level but very helpful to learn early on i guess. since it seems you favor sub and rep, id work on all aspects with those two before digging into a large variety that may overwhelm you. (depending on ur level) like tim said, just skim through the guides and get a general overview of what's important to delevop, what can be improved on. include run jabs, anti air tactics, polish your combos/juggles the best you can so as not to choke during play...then move onto other characters. you may not have mastered them but at least youll feel comfortable enough to dive into new depths with different gameplay concerning a vast selection of characters. theres no law that says you must use more than a few chars, so do it ur way. hope this helps bud. ;)

Your a legend Dreamcatcher, that is some pretty good advice, I didn't want to focus on a few characters only, but I think it would help me get to grips with the general gameplay. Thanks again!

BTW, sorry about all the posts recently, Ive been trying to get my post count up so that I could start this thread and reply to some private messages that I have been sent through the site. :p

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
lol no i just like helping out. im not a high level player and am still occasionally cocky against people i dont know.....but yeah, just give her a shot. crawl before you walk :)

Tim Static

Adminerator
Anybody starting out needs to understand anti-air is VITAL and the sooner they know that, the sooner they can learn it.

anti-air is the key... ;)

Look at the basic gameplay guide...it's all there. When people ask about Kabal's punisher I generally tell them to jump forward and then press back, back, low kick, high punch. Shock is very correct about easing into the general gameplay as opposed to just "mastering" one combo. Once you get a few down, the RIGHT way, the rest just falls into place with experience. The "technique" of buffering is, in my opinion, is the most important thing in this game. It makes everything flow free and takes the mess out of your mind when you are trying to do a combo.
I suggest that everyone who likes shock's post to go look at the basic gameplay section. It has everything you want to know all nice and tucked in. Lol it's very organized and I believe the writers did an excellent job with it.

edit- Why can't I press tab to indent a paragraph, and why when I substitute for spaces do the spaces not show up?

You were asking for basic combos, and generally people dont start off with anti air starter combos.

Or Kabals aaHP, spin, aaHPHP, HP, JK, AFB ;)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
edit- Why can't I press tab to indent a paragraph, and why when I substitute for spaces do the spaces not show up?
Tab navigates the page links and options generally in windows/browsers, and space indenting paragraphs disappears because I believe html doesn't like multiple spaces between characters. In general, tab indenting isn't necessary, just put an empty line between the paragraphs.

FILER

Noob
I agree with KM.

Also, an easy way to get timing down is to punish ninja TP's with a very, very simple, HP, HP, JK. (adding a sweep or lk/hk when availible).

This is not a high damage combo but it helps timing and coordination. When you get HP, HP, JK down, you can add alot of different combos with alot of different characters.

It takes a while to get used to the act of "juggling" a character in the air.