What's new

Strategy Double Punch Mix Up Pressure

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I've been messing around with ways to get in on opponents and stay in as well as mixing them up from knockdowns. So far, I've found this:

The first part of the video shows a way to apply pressure with the Double Punch. It has hits of armor with venom, so if can approach without taking the hit stuns. After you make a hit with it, you can dash toward the knock down and go into another Double Punch. The key is to dash forward as Bane's second punch swings through. He will dash as the opponent is still on the ground. After the dash, you can immediately input another Double Punch. This forces the opponent to respect the overhead double punch, which opens up changes for lows.

In the second part, I show other strategies after scoring a knockdown with the Double Punch. After conditioning them to block high, you can input the Body Press without having to take a step forward. The reach will connect from that distance. Then, you can dash forward after a double punch connects and go into Bane's low starter, the Back 2, 3.

Then, if you're stuck in a corner, Venom up with a Double Punch Wakeup attack. If it connects, you can dash forward into the low starter into: 123, ring toss. This ring toss will put the opponent in the corner and you can follow up with more pressure.

Other than that, I show some super move combos. A couple ways to Venom up with them though:
1.) Activate venom as the grab for the super is going to connect
0r
2.) Activate venom as the Back 23 combo starter hits.

Now, what about the Tech Roll?

This one shows that the Double Punch, and low starter will still connect with the dash forward. So, even if the opponent tech rolls out of the knockdown, you can still apply pressure. (There are a couple whiffs in this video.)

And what about other setups outside of the Double Punch and Back 23 starter?

This shows how to connect the Body Press on opponents that Tech Roll. You still have to dash forward and input the Body Press. And this requires fast fingers.

Now, these are decent strategies to use to apply some mix up pressure. They're a tad more complicated that simply pressing buttons, as it requires dashes and multiple directional inputs.

Concerning Venom, I like to start with a LVL 1 and progress as the previous LVL of Venom expires. I feel as if this allows constant pressure with the benefits of armor. Otherwise, if you didn't progress with Venom, the first level would expire and result in less damage and a weaker offense for Bane.

I haven't tested these against Wake Up attacks to see which it will stuff. I also haven't though about applying the overhead F2D punch into this either. I know that F2D punch can be chained to the Body Press, but I have yet to get that.

So, feel free to add anything, give critique and by all means, help think of more ways to apply pressure with the big guy!

This is what I've been doing the whole time with bane. It works against people who are bad. The better players mix you up with jump outs, back dash, and wake up. Double punch does horrible damage, so they don't really have to respect it.

I just spam charge now. It hits dash, jump in, jump out, and wakeups.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
This is what I've been doing the whole time with bane. It works against people who are bad. The better players mix you up with jump outs, back dash, and wake up. Double punch does horrible damage, so they don't really have to respect it.

I just spam charge now. It hits dash, jump in, jump out, and wakeups.
Unfortunately, the regular charge has horrible recovery on HIT (which is hillariously saddening). Granted, against bad players, charge is disgustingly good.

Double punch is great except for the damage on hit is really bad... to the point smart opponents just shrug it off. If you're in the corner however... jumping body splash becomes an extremely viable follow-up.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Right, the charge has become dead in my mind, unless you need it to get through projectiles.

But, back to what I was saying, I just discovered this and thought it was decent information to look into for applying ground pressure with mix ups. Bane doesn't really have a combo string that hits high and low. So, any ideas to help this out is needed. And something to deal with players that want to roll and dash or jump out.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Yall tried just doing raw charge on wakeup? Stuffs most options, (with venom) is relatively safe against most characters and does quite a bit of damage.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Yall tried just doing raw charge on wakeup? Stuffs most options, (with venom) is relatively safe against most characters and does quite a bit of damage.
Yea, I was trying that last night. I was running into players that caught on and decided to block it.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
That's exactly what you want. Once they start respecting it, they're wide open for command grabs :D

That's what I was saying. Charge up close on knock downs is really good. I don't think many can punish on block. It stuffs everything on wake up except block. My problem is what to do once they start walking backwards. Are you in cmd grab range on block if they keep walking back? I keep getting blown up when I try jumping in. They walk back out of range and hit me as soon as I land.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Oh, you're saying to do the charge after a knockdown when you're close? I suppose that would catch the roll as well.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
That's what I was saying. Charge up close on knock downs is really good. I don't think many can punish on block. It stuffs everything on wake up except block. My problem is what to do once they start walking backwards. Are you in cmd grab range on block if they keep walking back? I keep getting blown up when I try jumping in. They walk back out of range and hit me as soon as I land.
I'm not sure if they can walk out of range after blocking charge. With it being -11, I wouldn't doubt it. I usually don't go for anything after a blocked charge though; not unless the opponent just doesn't respect my venom and mashes after blocking. But usually (and against smarter players) they'll either punish (if they can), block or jump. So after a safe, blocked charge, I prepare myself to either venom upper a jump in or walk/dash forward and start the footsie game.

I've come to mainly use charge to (of course) get in on projectile spam and to close distance in the mid range (like, right outside of double punch range).

Oh, you're saying to do the charge after a knockdown when you're close? I suppose that would catch the roll as well.
Yea, I started doing it because of back dashes and that damn green lantern wake up where he jumps back and fires the arrow into the ground.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Charge exists to make them start looking for it, which in turn gives you free command grabs and with its reach, it's a pretty fair trade.

Unfortunately, the regular charge has horrible recovery on HIT (which is hillariously saddening). Granted, against bad players, charge is disgustingly good.

Double punch is great except for the damage on hit is really bad... to the point smart opponents just shrug it off. If you're in the corner however... jumping body splash becomes an extremely viable follow-up.
He's +20 when it hits. How is this terrible? He gets a free B.1/double punch.

Double Punch needs a damage boost. If Killer Frost can have a 15 frame low that travels 3/4 screen and launchers while being -4, then my 16 frame overhead shouldn't need a level three Venom boost just to do 10%.

Charge exists to make them start looking for it, which in turn gives you free command grabs and with its reach, it's a pretty fair trade.

He's +20 when it hits. How is this terrible? He gets a free B.1/double punch.

Double Punch needs a damage boost. If Killer Frost can have a 15 frame low that travels 3/4 screen and launchers while being -4, then my 16 frame overhead shouldn't need a level three Venom boost just to do 10%.

For sure needs more damage. I've double punched someone all the way across the screen when they keep trying to jump out and have like 20% damage to show for it lol

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Agreed. MB double punch doesn't even give it much of a boost either. The only move I ever MB to is the cmd grab. Any other time I use it it's just for the hell of it or if I notice it might end their life bar.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Agreed. MB double punch doesn't even give it much of a boost either. The only move I ever MB to is the cmd grab. Any other time I use it it's just for the hell of it or if I notice it might end their life bar.
MB command grab is amazing. You can throw them behind you so tick throws become an awesome reversal to put them in the corner.

MB moves should do more damage or start having bounce properties for slightly longer combos.

LEGI0N47

MB command grab is amazing. You can throw them behind you so tick throws become an awesome reversal to put them in the corner.

MB moves should do more damage or start having bounce properties for slightly longer combos.

Yes it is, plus I won't deny I love the view & sound effects it gives.

I agree, they need more bang for their buck. They seem to leave you in less desirable position too unless you've cornered them. My personal vote is for a MB ring toss that bounces them up right in your face for more action.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Ring toss really should have been one AA, not four. An MB version would have been great too but it's likely too late for these things. :(

LEGI0N47

Ring toss really should have been one AA, not four. An MB version would have been great too but it's likely too late for these things. :(
I think you're right. I know you're big on having a cancel on the charge and tbh i'd like that too but I think we're in the same boat on that as the ring toss.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I think you're right. I know you're big on having a cancel on the charge and tbh i'd like that too but I think we're in the same boat on that as the ring toss.
Nah, Charge is fine at what it does. As long as people look for it and anticipate it, then it's doing its job. A cancel would be nice but fuck it.

D

Deleted member 9158

I actually had a Bane do this to me earlier today and I got my shit kicked in.

...that and a 62% combo in the corner didn't help much either. Think I might pick him up after that beating

LEGI0N47

Nah, Charge is fine at what it does. As long as people look for it and anticipate it, then it's doing its job. A cancel would be nice but fuck it.
True it does, when they block. Otherwise it can feel wasted when they jump it or make things worse. I'm trying to ween myself off of it as much as possible.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
True it does, when they block. Otherwise it can feel wasted when they jump it or make things worse. I'm trying to ween myself off of it as much as possible.
I was pointing more towards that people don't want to be hit by it, so if they're anticipating it, you can advance for free. That's how it does a good job. Gotta make them respect it first but you shouldn't rely on it getting in.

LEGI0N47

I see what you're getting at and agree. Most players i've been facing seem to already respect it for the most part. It's what they don't know about that gets em, like those tick throws or double punch stuffs. Need to keep practicing him though, never handing in my card :p

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I've been using the charge like you guys say. At this point, I like the charge against projectile spammers. I'm to the point where I hope they block it sometimes. Am I the only one that feels like it's at times easier to advance just throwing a charge out there?

Another thing I didn't mention in the mix ups is the Double Punch after a blocked Back 2.3. If they're blocking low for the combo starter you can go into the Double Punch for the overhead hit.