What's new

Dota 2 The International 2014

I'm actually going to Seattle for it. Wasn't planning on it, was just going to resell my ticket, but I ended up getting convinced by some of my dota nerd friends and since I do follow the pro scene somewhat I figure might as well. DK looks scary good. I'm hoping C9, Na'Vi or Alliance take it though, I'd root for Team Liquid or EG if I thought they had a chance.

Also side not, that fucking prize pool is already around 4 million. Winning teams players are going to be taking home like half a mil each. Show's what can happen when developers like Valve put time and effort into supporting the pro scene.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
I'm actually going to Seattle for it. Wasn't planning on it, was just going to resell my ticket, but I ended up getting convinced by some of my dota nerd friends and since I do follow the pro scene somewhat I figure might as well. DK looks scary good. I'm hoping C9, Na'Vi or Alliance take it though, I'd root for Team Liquid or EG if I thought they had a chance.
Damn I am so jealous, and yeah DK, C9 and Alliance are my favorites. But Navi always somehow finds a way to get to the finals.

Also prize pool is almost at 4.5 million

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
I like the game but my group of friends don't really play so it's hard for me to get back into it. Also how long has C9 been a competitive team in Dota2?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I just started watching DotA and I'm still trying to understand what I'm seeing. I get the basics now like ancients/towers/barracks/blink etc, and I'm looking to learn more.

That compendium -> 4.5 mil pot is amazing though. I think this is a new frontier that's unprecedented in e-sports.

Jeffreys

I just started watching DotA and I'm still trying to understand what I'm seeing. I get the basics now like ancients/towers/barracks/blink etc, and I'm looking to learn more.

That compendium -> 4.5 mil pot is amazing though. I think this is a new frontier that's unprecedented in e-sports.
Its a great game, and totally and completely free (all 100+ characters are available for you)- no paid advantage (unless you want some costumes for characters and even then you can get them for free in the game)

As an added bonus the Dota community is just as shitty as the TYM community so we all feel at home :D

REO

Undead
I played a lot of DotA 1 back in the mid 2000s. It's been one of my favorite games ever since it was first released in the WC3 days when heroes like Venomancer were "Hydra" while using of those Hydra models... lmao. I just got into Dota 2 recently, and I'm loving it so far. The nostalgia.

But WTF! Almost 5 million dollars just for a tournament? That's the most cash I've ever seen for a video game.

@Big D @GGA Dizzy @Insuperable I think it's time we start getting serious this summer...

Jeffreys

I'd love to play with anyone from TYM sometime after finals, im only at 3k MMR so if anyone wants to play its all good, i dont mind if your alot better or alot worse.

Jon Berg

Noob
Also side not, that fucking prize pool is already around 4 million. Winning teams players are going to be taking home like half a mil each. Show's what can happen when developers like Valve put time and effort into supporting the pro scene.
Capcom or NRS couldn't go about this the same was as valve even if they wanted to. The fact is the userbase in fighting games is minuscule compared to MOBAS. If next injustice tournament had 1mil prize pool you still wouldn't break 30k on twitch for it. You need raw viewer/user numbers to support large prize pools. The two have to stay within ratio.

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
I played a lot of DotA 1 back in the mid 2000s. It's been one of my favorite games ever since it was first released in the WC3 days when heroes like Venomancer were "Hydra" while using of those Hydra models... lmao. I just got into Dota 2 recently, and I'm loving it so far. The nostalgia.

But WTF! Almost 5 million dollars just for a tournament? That's the most cash I've ever seen for a video game.

@Big D @GGA Dizzy @Insuperable I think it's time we start getting serious this summer...
bro.... you need a jungler?

Hah, I also played a lot of Dota back when I was in college, sa had a perma invis and a deathward (similar to dota2 witch doctor ult) was like version 5.87b or something. If you guys ever want to throw down let me know I've played a lot of dota 2, my tym and steamID are the same.

http://dotabuff.com/players/32676295

bro.... you need a jungler?
The meta in Dota is a lot different than LoL. There are junglers on occasion in specific line ups but they are not mandatory and usually they come at the cost of one of your lanes being weaker so you have to make sure you plan your entire team around them to compensate. Suffice to say in pro play there is no jungler position, roles are typically defined by farm priority 1 being the hard carry 5 being the hard support. A jungler would usually be the the 3 or 4 spot. Honestly I think the complexity and diversity that you can have strategically in DotA is what makes it so much more appealing to follow, that said it also makes it harder for people to understand who don't follow it.

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
The meta in Dota is a lot different than LoL. There are junglers on occasion in specific line ups but they are not mandatory and usually they come at the cost of one of your lanes being weaker so you have to make sure you plan your entire team around them to compensate. Suffice to say in pro play there is no jungler position, roles are typically defined by farm priority 1 being the hard carry 5 being the hard support. A jungler would usually be the the 3 or 4 spot. Honestly I think the complexity and diversity that you can have strategically in DotA is what makes it so much more appealing to follow, that said it also makes it harder for people to understand who don't follow it.
I meant that as in I literally only play Nature's prophet and Dryad in Dota. I know the game =P.

NP has fallen off hard in the current meta. So many heroes that can snowball early and dominate a game before NP comes online as a real split pushing force. You basically have to have a 6 minute midas and an opponent that can't take advantage of your team having weaker lanes and also doesn't have a decent hero that can roam your jungle and interrupt your farm. Which are a lot of variables to bank on. Referring to the heroes as champions is def a LoL thing.

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
NP has fallen off hard in the current meta. So many heroes that can snowball early and dominate a game before NP comes online as a real split pushing force. You basically have to have a 6 minute midas and an opponent that can't take advantage of your team having weaker lanes and also doesn't have a decent hero that can roam your jungle and interrupt your farm. Which are a lot of variables to bank on. Referring to the heroes as champions is def a LoL thing.
I've been playing alot of league alot name tendencies are a really bad habit of mine =X. I'm moderately versed in the game though. Bad, but I know what's what.

REO

Undead
What are your guys tags? I'm down to play with any players who are competent. I literally can't stand playing with random pubs on my team in Dota. It's the most frustrating thing ever, IMO.

Hah, I also played a lot of Dota back when I was in college, sa had a perma invis and a deathward (similar to dota2 witch doctor ult) was like version 5.87b or something. If you guys ever want to throw down let me know I've played a lot of dota 2, my tym and steamID are the same.

http://dotabuff.com/players/32676295
So is your tag deathblooms2k4 or pboydiii in the link? I'm confused, lol.

Haha, yeah. I remember so many of the old things in Dota and how ridiculously broken they used to be like stuns lasting 5-10 seconds and such. I didn't get competitive with DotA until playdota.com came out. As a matter of fact, here's my very first DotA guide I ever made: http://www.playdota.com/guides/simple-short-advanced-guide I also looked at the rankings for DotA 2, and that dude ^^DragonFist^^ who is ranked top three in both singles and teams used to be one of many players I would play with regularly with in the Garena days. I kinda miss the playdota.com days. :(

Last edited:
What are your guys tags? I'm down to play with any players who are competent. I literally can't stand playing with random pubs on my team in Dota. It's the most frustrating thing ever, IMO.

So is your tag deathblooms2k4 or pboydiii in the link? I'm confused, lol.

Haha, yeah. I remember so many of the old things in Dota and how ridiculously broken they used to be like stuns lasting 5-10 seconds and such. I didn't get competitive with DotA until playdota.com came out. As a matter of fact, here's my very first DotA guide I ever made: http://www.playdota.com/guides/simple-short-advanced-guide I also looked at the rankings for DotA 2, and that dude ^^DragonFist^^ who is ranked top three in both singles and teams used to be one of many players I would play with regularly with in the Garena days. I kinda miss the playdota.com days. :(
deathblooms2k4 is my steamid. pboydiii is just my profile name. I'll agree random pubs can be grueling especially in the lower skill brackets which you inevitably have to go through if you are just starting to play the game.