What's new

Question Doesn't it seem like Rain has a high learning curve?

As the subject of the topic asks: Rain's learning curve seems to be quite high. I am quite liking this as not just anyone can pick up Rain and expect to be good with him like Smoke/Kano/Kung/Raiden among others by using a couple of special moves, yet his normal moves execute very quickly with little recovery... but his specials need to be used wisely. You have to be smart when using his mind-control water ball for example as you can almost see it coming from a mile away.

Doing his normal combos and chaining them with special moves and whatnot seem to take very precise and practiced execution, then again I am only speaking from just a couple hours of experience with him. Definitely one of the harder or stranger characters to learn, but then again maybe I'm in the minority just because I have a bit more difficulty chaining his combos together? Or do you guys agree?

Pagan

Noob
I think his main learning curve is getting past negative edge. Beyond that, he's got a lot of tools but a lot of them are highly specialized in usage so using the right tool at the right time will be the key to competitive play. Beyond that, there are characters in this game with much higher learning curves.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I definitely know what you mean about the learning curve. the buttons layout for his combos are weird. my hands actually hurt from doing his combos over a less than an hr

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
This guy has some really easy combos. It's just that most of the characters before him didn't really prepare you for doing shit primarily with kicks.

xxvic1ousxx

Awake and Dreaming...
It doesn't really seem that way to me. Of all the DLC Characters so far, I feel he is the easiest to pick up.

I agree, he's been the easiest for me to pick up, I'm by no means a great player and I think his combos aren't that hard to execute and very damaging, so far, Hes my new main.....

TrickyNick

Weather Man
I think its just that his playstyle is so unique. His moves are some what absurd lol..I like them but there very different, except for his water spray thing he does. It reminds me of reptile. What character can kick another completely off the screen, or control them with your pad. As far as MK9 is concerned it just seems like a different element which is a good thing.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
only thing i don't like is his damage output...i just did one of the stupidest most ridiculous combos i've done in mk and it only did like 43% : S but yeah im loving this character he's easy to pick up not as easy as kenshi but fairly easy

He just seems like a mediocre character in general so far IMO. Everybody is focusing on his combos, but how are you supposed to land the damage?

indig0

Noob
I think his main learning curve is getting past negative edge. Beyond that, he's got a lot of tools but a lot of them are highly specialized in usage so using the right tool at the right time will be the key to competitive play. Beyond that, there are characters in this game with much higher learning curves.
I agree.

I hate how large the negative edge buffer is in this game. Granted, it does help with Skarlet dagger cancels, but other than that 90% of the time it's a liability. The main problem I'm having with Rain's combos is his 43 xx Lightning. The 3 gives me Geyser Kick instead of Lightning.

I learned though, that it helps if you press every button deliberately and slow down your motions. Not too easy of a task when 12f.4(b.2, 12), 43 xx Roundhouse, 43 xx Ball leaves you a tiny window to catch the Lightning off of another rep of 43.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
remember mk isnt only about combos

but my only gripe with him is his easy ass combo that do mad damage, considering he already has a damage boost -_-

bossness

He just seems like a mediocre character in general so far IMO. Everybody is focusing on his combos, but how are you supposed to land the damage?
db3 and catching people sleeping with lightning. I'm working on some frame traps and hopefully a lockdown like Johnny's f3 shenanigans.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Yea, people are currently just blinded by the newness, but rain is really, really average. Lighnting is horrendously unsafe; the water orb is slow and easy to jump for and has terrible recovery, his teleport his second tier compared to the rest of the teleporters, and his water hose is a poor mans version of sektors barbecue. He's not really that fast on the ground, and his 12 string, which should be his main combo starter, has deceptively small reach..:( No true 50/50 mixup as well....Only thing keeping him a float is his high damage output.

But with all that said, he is VERY fun to use hehe

Rain has problems...I would not say it is because of a learning curve. The issue with rain is the fact that a lot of his specials take longer than average to set up. It is very difficult to connect 1,2,f4 moves on opponents because he cannot throw a projectile to ward off opponents. At least the trouble I see with him is that he seems to be good up close, but getting up close or to mid range may become difficult. As Ikizzle said his 1 2 has a small reach which makes it even harder. However, once people get to know rain, i think it could be easier.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
So far I am having no difficulty playing as him. Only complaint is why must the overhead be 1+2 in the combo B+2, 1+2. Do you know how much of a PITA it is to press those two buttons simultaneously using a pad ? ARRRGGGHHHRRRAAAGGGEEE

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
but my only gripe with him is his easy ass combo that do mad damage, considering he already has a damage boost -_-
Maybe you're just like my mother
She's never satisfied
Why do we scream at each other?
This is what it sounds like
When scrubs cry

I take back some of what I said. He just takes a little time in the lab much like other characters. You definitely don't use his differnt move-set like you would other conventional characters. His b2, 3+4 and b2, 3 mixup is pretty dangerous. 12 f4 and b2 3+4 chain easily into a 43 + water-bubble combo.

His geyser-kick move where he shoots up into the air is great for wakeup and anti-crossup as well. You can't cross him up or you'll get hit easily by a 12% damage move.

Rain is fun and natural if you put in the time.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
The real learning curve is going to come from learning just how effective his roundhouse kick dash cancle is. If the roundhouse kick dash cancle has priority then this is what will make him very good fighter and if he does not it will break him.. So far I Have found some pretty good mind games and set ups off of it. Example: you can cancle roundhouse kick with any normal or special. My first mind game is to combo block string into the roundhouse kick and cancle it immediatly into the EX teleport. Most people so far have tried to hit me while I cancel and because I cancle my roundhouse into a move I hit them befor the hit me. I am sure this would work for other moves as well like lightning and water orb. I just started to use the EX teleport because it's really fast.