What's new

Does kenshi have potential?

fooloo

Noob
Being a character with great zoning abilities but lacking in the close-up game, do you think he has what it takes to become s-tier?

Apparently a lot of people are going to be switching over to him since EVO is over and DLC characters are allowed in tourneys from now on.

I personally think kenshi is gonna be a force to reckon with since he can reflect projectiles (*COUGH* LOW HAT *COUGH*) and has armor on EX.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yep, I think he has great potential .... his capacity to zone and keep space between him and opponent is ridiculous, a skilled Kenshi gives a lot of trouble. His weak point is the close game, but, nothing to worry that much, I'm sure that pros can adapt to this and make Kenshi a new force powerhouse in this game !

Kenshi can anti-zone too, just in case some characters as Noob or Ermac try to overcome him in zoning dispute, he has some very interesting tools.

His combos are decent and more or less easy to do, and his tele-flurry is hard to handle if used correctly.

I see Kenshi giving trouble in tourneys.

Jamison

Noob
I have recently played some great Kenshi mains and wow he definitely has potential. Wake up Spirit charge totally eliminates any constant pressure character and lets you reset distance for zoning. Rising karma when used correctly is, DARE I say it, as efficient as Kung Lao's spin for the jump in and sets up a nice juggle combo. Teleflurry with telekinectic slash keeps you ducking, standing..confused. Overall, I would say one of the best DLC characters and if used correctly a threat to anyone on the roster.

Eight

I am the salt
I really fucking hope Kenshi doesn't turn into the next flavor of the month.

Y'know, like Reptile and Kitana now, and Kung Lao before them.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
As a kenshi player I am not to great nor to bad. But what I've noticed is most fights against random xbl users I cause them to go offline for some random reason when round 2 pops up.....Guess they don't like not being able to touch me 90% of the match.....

I have recently played some great Kenshi mains and wow he definitely has potential. Wake up Spirit charge totally eliminates any constant pressure character and lets you reset distance for zoning. Rising karma when used correctly is, DARE I say it, as efficient as Kung Lao's spin for the jump in and sets up a nice juggle combo. Teleflurry with telekinectic slash keeps you ducking, standing..confused. Overall, I would say one of the best DLC characters and if used correctly a threat to anyone on the roster.
I agree that he has potential, and that Spirit Charge is a great wake-up move, but it doesn't eliminate all pressure. Players can still jump over Kenshi after a knockdown and there isn't much he can do about it outside of possibly EX Rising Karma.

I'm curious why people think Kenshi is poor up close?
I don't understand either. He clearly isn't the best, but it's not like he struggles all that much.

Let's review what he has:

1) A 15-frame low attack that can lead to a 26% hit-confirmable combo
2) A 19-frame overhead that is advantage on block and on hit
3) A 12-frame f.2 mid attack with good range that can lead into a safe launcher or the aforementioned overhead (which grants advantage)
4) A 12-frame 2 jab that hits mid and leads to a pure 50/50 (of which the low leaves the opponent standing and the overhead leads into a pretty good combo that is very hit-confirmable)
5) A 6-frame d.1 and 7-frame d.3 for poking out of things

Kenshi isn't the fastest character and there are obviously characters that have better block strings and things like that, but he is nowhere near being poor up close. Sure, you ideally don't want the opponent to be right in your face when Kenshi, but that has more to do with the threat of a crossover jump than his actual lack of a close offensive game.

Luija1006

since 1995
I don't understand either. He clearly isn't the best, but it's not like he struggles all that much.

Let's review what he has:

1) A 15-frame low attack that can lead to a 26% hit-confirmable combo
2) A 19-frame overhead that is advantage on block and on hit
3) A 12-frame f.2 mid attack with good range that can lead into a safe launcher or the aforementioned overhead (which grants advantage)
4) A 12-frame 2 jab that hits mid and leads to a pure 50/50 (of which the low leaves the opponent standing and the overhead leads into a pretty good combo that is very hit-confirmable)
5) A 6-frame d.1 and 7-frame d.3 for poking out of things

Kenshi isn't the fastest character and there are obviously characters that have better block strings and things like that, but he is nowhere near being poor up close. Sure, you ideally don't want the opponent to be right in your face when Kenshi, but that has more to do with the threat of a crossover jump than his actual lack of a close offensive game.
Totally agree with this. Most of the time I guarantee the low combo because people block high, and when they start blocking low after 3 successful combos, overhead starter. When you are in the wall facing him, it's game over. His wall combos are amazing: Taking 34% of your opponent bar with a low starter and then 39% with the high starter after blocking their wake-up has no price, I just wanna see their faces in that moment. He is SO good keeping you trapped on the wall: Spirit Charge, Rising Karma, etc.

His real struggle are the crossover jumps. People jumping your wake-up Rising Karma like nothing it's.. annoying, for lack of another word.

Definitely top tier. People who claim he is bad close up have not faced a good Kenshi.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Can you prove it wrong?
Yes? who else in the Whole roaster beside so FEW chars (E.G: Kung lao point blank Spin and sub zero 22...etc) has a mindless anti Jumpers or pressure? all of the chars requires Maneuvering and Understanding of motion/ Punish after. Give kenshi a Second of either a frame trap, Re link, Mix ups...etc and u will eat EX armor attacks that leads to atleast 25% of average damage, followed by Pure Un escapable Mind game Okizeme.

To everyone in here...Kenshi been my weapon since he was Ever Been Released, and so far from wut i can see, he Requires a lot of Advanced Techniques when it comes to him being pressured. Anything else, he's Completely superb! Anti all tier whores as well except few (Example NW, Smoke)

kenshi is A tier, and he can even reach S tier Easily ,in my opinion.

Sorry ,i am not tryin to brag or show of...but if u think other wise, maybe u can take a look at this? it's a part of my Project, at the end of the weak i shall continue with the full write up and Transcript for the vid. hope it can change anyone's idea on Kenshi

Luija1006

since 1995
Yes? who else in the Whole roaster beside so FEW chars (E.G: Kung lao point blank Spin and sub zero 22...etc) has a mindless anti Jumpers or pressure? all of the chars requires Maneuvering and Understanding of motion/ Punish after. Give kenshi a Second of either a frame trap, Re link, Mix ups...etc and u will eat EX armor attacks that leads to atleast 25% of average damage, followed by Pure Un escapable Mind game Okizeme.

To everyone in here...Kenshi been my weapon since he was Ever Been Released, and so far from wut i can see, he Requires a lot of Advanced Techniques when it comes to him being pressured. Anything else, he's Completely superb! Anti all tier whores as well except few (Example NW, Smoke)

Sorry ,i am not tryin to brag or show of...but if u think other wise, maybe u can take a look at this? it's a part of my Project, at the end of the weak i shall continue with the full write up and Transcript for the vid. hope it can change anyone's idea on Kenshi

I can´t understand how you do the trap in 6:01. The F3 > 2 never reaches the opponent, they always fall to the ground before the kick.

Also, do you use a ps3 controller?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
hey. Alright, basically this OTG has multilpe examples. the most common and easiest is after 2x (f+2,2,b+1). the way to get it, is timing your dash at the second rep of f+2,2,b+1. Must be a very short and fast dash cancel to the Target combo. time it to fast and you will miss the last hit, time it correctly and u will get the last hit of the Target combo. After wards, just dash in deep and f+3,2 or cr+4.

OTG has many forms, though this is the easiest. Other examples is after 2,1~ RK or 2,1,2 Footsies. also standing 3 and f+2,2,b+1 can set the OTG as well, the same exact effect like f+3 or cr+4. though, standing 3, is a corner set ups (which is little tight on time) as well as 3rd rep of f+2,2,b+1. Also compared to f+3,2 or cr+4, they are not that worth it due to the lack of Low starter mix up or footsie low starter into pressure mix ups.

also, this OTG can occur with b+2 as well (corner only like standing 3).

EDIT: Yes only for MK9. find it relaxing more than arcade stick due to quick dash~cancel/blocking.

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
This is in no small part why I think Kenshi is amazing and will be able to take tourneys: If you are even half decent at reading your opponent and spacing Kenshi becomes a wall that is incredibly difficult to scale and the moment you get in he has the tools to put you right back where you started. I play him and even I hate fighting him. One connected Telefury at range just starts the BS - from there Telefury, Telefury, Oh you crouched it ok - TKS - oh you want to move in well I got this Rising carma and Spirit charge ready the moment you leave the ground. His ->2,2 strings have good range even once they start to cross over your safety line and if it ends in <-2 you're safe to push them back out again or turn the pressure on them. Oh you think its over cuz you floored me? Wakeup EX Spirit Charge to the face. Oh I'm sorry you're back where you started. If his close up game "actually" sucked he might be a mid tier character. But he has a mid and a string that ends with said mid that is safe on block and string with a low starter that leads to combos as well.

Kenshi is like an Ermac thats actually pretty good in close. Cross ups being his only weakness and even then there's options.

This is in no small part why I think Kenshi is amazing and will be able to take tourneys: If you are even half decent at reading your opponent and spacing Kenshi becomes a wall that is incredibly difficult to scale and the moment you get in he has the tools to put you right back where you started. I play him and even I hate fighting him. One connected Telefury at range just starts the BS - from there Telefury, Telefury, Oh you crouched it ok - TKS - oh you want to move in well I got this Rising carma and Spirit charge ready the moment you leave the ground. His ->2,2 strings have good range even once they start to cross over your safety line and if it ends in <-2 you're safe to push them back out again or turn the pressure on them. Oh you think its over cuz you floored me? Wakeup EX Spirit Charge to the face. Oh I'm sorry you're back where you started. If his close up game "actually" sucked he might be a mid tier character. But he has a mid and a string that ends with said mid that is safe on block and string with a low starter that leads to combos as well.

Kenshi is like an Ermac thats actually pretty good in close. Cross ups being his only weakness and even then there's options.
I agree with what you're saying, but you are kind of screwed if the opponent gets a close knockdown and decides to cross you up. Unless you want to use meter, that is.

If Kenshi had a fast(er) uppercut it would be a wrap.

Theme

Noob

Sick Kenshi. I got him but I havent really put in the time to really learn him. I just might after seeing that video.

fooloo

Noob
learned a few things from that video. that b2~d3~tks footsies is boss. what do you do after the opponent blocks the tks after this footsies?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
ty fooloo , as well as everyone. Glad i was of help.

as for the footsies of cr+4~ tks.

Mid screen:
-If it did hit, you have a free footise mix up rep of another cr+4~ TKS. two reps and then you will be forced to dash after to connect a third cr+4. so after the second cr+4~tks it's all your mind game/mix ups experience
-If TKS was blocked. it's a Frame war. the faster frame poker or move, is the winner. Basically against other pokers, Kenshi has a VERY fast cr+1 and cr+3! (6 and 7 frames respectively) making TKS chain a good use in pressure. though, unlike cr+4; cr+1 and cr+3 are escapable by jumps (though TKS can catch them easily if they did so, and it leads to wake up pressure game from kenshi) or punishable by a fast poke after blocking or eating cr+1 or cr+3 .OR punishable by counter special moves after blocking or eating cr+1 or cr+3 (example: Ermac's force push or TK)

Corner:
-cr+4 ~ TKS can go up to 4 reps if they hit. due to cr+4 not pushing back, TKS will instead.
-as for cr+1 or cr+3 follow up. Same concept

in general, as for corners, i would say cr+4~ tks even on block. cr+4 is around 13 or 12 frame, so it's not that slow compared to other characters. as well that cr+4 DOES stuff a lot of special like any other cr+4 in the game.

in here, corner situation,comes cr+3, b+2. b+2 stuff a lot of moves and catches jump escapees. cr+3 has a faster recovery than cr+1. also it's not bad idea to use mid screen, though a required dash is needed after tks. and doing a dsh into cr+3 after a blocked TKS, is not fast enough against opponent with fast pokes, footsies, or Special moves.

instead i would suggest a mix up of EX RK if you know opponent will counter with either poke/footsies, or special.

:)
hope this was helpful