What's new

General/Other Does Grundy Make You Want to Rage Quit?

ReZo

MKX
Okay so I main Grundy, and past 10 player matches in a row, my opponents all Rage quit, in a row. What do you do about this problem? (As in, a general question about whether people just simply quit playing online at all, or they take it to survival or what...) I'm tired of getting losses >.>

Also, I have to say, Rage Quit issue is new to me, due to not checking my player match stats often, just noticed I got 10 losses in a row for those Rage quits.

I'm assuming this has been discussed before.

webreg

Noob
It's really quite simple. People are stupid and they are entirely too fixated on their success and statistics without giving thought on how to improve their game. If I loose a match I'm intrigued and I want to try different things to see if I can manage to win. I've played maybe 10 matches in a row with CatWoman versus Superman and he destroyed me constantly. But I was getting better and in the end he still won but barely. Sadly my opponent seemed to get bored and left the session but those 10 losses were investments and future opponents will have to pay the price. It seems however that the average player isn't interested to learn the game and get better at it. They simply want to win no matter how and if they think they can't manage to beat someone they leave and rather look for an easier target to exploit. That's just seems to be the nature of man (or kids more likely).

Grundy however has an additional problem. If he grapples you are doomed to watch 10 or more seconds without any chance to do anything about it. In a fast and reaction based fighting game this is just very bad design and severely breaks the flow of the experience. If he grapples you two times in a row you are just sitting there for nearly half a minute doing nothing and that just isn't fun. It's boring and frustrating. People are also used to block to avoid attacks and Grundy obviously exploits this. For some players this will seem as though they have no chance to do anything about it. The armored corpse walk further enforces this feeling of helplessness. As an opponent if you don't know the match-up and are not familiar with Grundy then he seems like the cheapest (on par with DeathStroke) character in the game and people don't want to put up with that.

Nothing you can do about it. There is a little psychological trick however. If you loose the first game then players will usually stay for another three matches on average. If you grind them into the ground in the first match they will certainly leave the match. What I tend to do is simple. I pick a character I'm unfamiliar with to fool around a bit or I try unconventional silly tactics with my main characters. So I learn something but usually loose. After that I can play the way I want without the opponent leaving immediately. It's much faster to loose the first game instead of searching for a new opponent after 1 fight.

ReZo

MKX
It's really quite simple. People are stupid and they are entirely too fixated on their success and statistics without giving thought on how to improve their game. If I loose a match I'm intrigued and I want to try different things to see if I can manage to win. I've played maybe 10 matches in a row with CatWoman versus Superman and he destroyed me constantly. But I was getting better and in the end he still won but barely. Sadly my opponent seemed to get bored and left the session but those 10 losses were investments and future opponents will have to pay the price. It seems however that the average player isn't interested to learn the game and get better at it. They simply want to win no matter how and if they think they can't manage to beat someone they leave and rather look for an easier target to exploit. That's just seems to be the nature of man (or kids more likely).

Grundy however has an additional problem. If he grapples you are doomed to watch 10 or more seconds without any chance to do anything about it. In a fast and reaction based fighting game this is just very bad design and severely breaks the flow of the experience. If he grapples you two times in a row you are just sitting there for nearly half a minute doing nothing and that just isn't fun. It's boring and frustrating. People are also used to block to avoid attacks and Grundy obviously exploits this. For some players this will seem as though they have no chance to do anything about it. The armored corpse walk further enforces this feeling of helplessness. As an opponent if you don't know the match-up and are not familiar with Grundy then he seems like the cheapest (on par with DeathStroke) character in the game and people don't want to put up with that.

Nothing you can do about it. There is a little psychological trick however. If you loose the first game then players will usually stay for another three matches on average. If you grind them into the ground in the first match they will certainly leave the match. What I tend to do is simple. I pick a character I'm unfamiliar with to fool around a bit or I try unconventional silly tactics with my main characters. So I learn something and usually loose. After that I can play the way I want without the opponent leaving immediately.
Well, my question is answered that quickly lol.

I'm the same way, when I found the first Black Adam to zone out grundy to the ground, I played 15 matches, the 15th match I finally won, because I learned the match-up and began to learn the things to not let BA players do. Although I lost those 14 in a row before I won, I havn't since lost to a single BA, in over 50 matches.

Thanks for the reply.

I try to keep it spicy for the enemy, by doing flashy combo's, though it can't get but so flashy with grundy lol, and keep it interesting.

Appreciate it :D

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Okay so I main Grundy, and past 10 player matches in a row, my opponents all Rage quit, in a row. What do you do about this problem? (As in, a general question about whether people just simply quit playing online at all, or they take it to survival or what...) I'm tired of getting losses >.>

Also, I have to say, Rage Quit issue is new to me, due to not checking my player match stats often, just noticed I got 10 losses in a row for those Rage quits.

I'm assuming this has been discussed before.
Well not to turn this into a discussion of Grundy balance, but . . . let's turn this into a discussion of Grundy balance. Since we started in the other thread.

I think Grundy is the ultimate counterpick character. I imagine his matchup chart is just straight 7-3s or 3-7s. It's basically Super Turbo Honda. "Do you have a fireball?" You win. "Do you not?" Grab your ankles.

Second, as with any grappler, he requires specific matchup knowledge from your opponent. With 55% 1 bar combos and a brutal 3 way wakeup game it's difficult even if you know the matchup. In the case where you don't it can feel impossible, and most people online are not aware of how to play most matchups, relying on autopilot tactics instead. (Tactics which are sadly often successful) Grundy does a good job of forcing your opponent to play your game and most people are not used to that.

Third, input lag favors Grundy and it can be really frustrating. I hate dropping the b3 on my combo and him wakeup comboing me for 50%. His d2 is super hard to punish online even when you scout it. His combos are basically all "Do this as fast as you can" and his window for the grabs isn't bad at all even with the input lag. Plus input lag makes random walking corpse and fullscreen MB Swamp Hands surprisingly good.

Now I don't quit on Grundy's but I can see why an impatient player would feel frustrated, and it isn't hard to see with this game's wide appeal why a lot of players would quit.

ReZo

MKX
Well not to turn this into a discussion of Grundy balance, but . . . let's turn this into a discussion of Grundy balance. Since we started in the other thread.

I think Grundy is the ultimate counterpick character. I imagine his matchup chart is just straight 7-3s or 3-7s. It's basically Super Turbo Honda. "Do you have a fireball?" You win. "Do you not?" Grab your ankles.

Second, as with any grappler, he requires specific matchup knowledge from your opponent. With 55% 1 bar combos and a brutal 3 way wakeup game it's difficult even if you know the matchup. In the case where you don't it can feel impossible, and most people online are not aware of how to play most matchups, relying on autopilot tactics instead. (Tactics which are sadly often successful) Grundy does a good job of forcing your opponent to play your game and most people are not used to that.

Third, input lag favors Grundy and it can be really frustrating. I hate dropping the b3 on my combo and him wakeup comboing me for 50%. His d2 is super hard to punish online even when you scout it. His combos are basically all "Do this as fast as you can" and his window for the grabs isn't bad at all even with the input lag. Plus input lag makes random walking corpse and fullscreen MB Swamp Hands surprisingly good.

Now I don't quit on Grundy's but I can see why an impatient player would feel frustrated, and it isn't hard to see with this game's wide appeal why a lot of players would quit.
Sadly I have little to no response to this other than...

I Completely 100% AGREE!

So! Well-done, I am now satisfied with your comment on his balance lol :D

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Sadly I have little to no response to this other than...

I Completely 100% AGREE!

So! Well-done, I am now satisfied with your comment on his balance lol :D

But see that sort of matchup distribution is kind of unfun for people. It's common to grapplers and pros deal with it. But it's sort of heartbreaking to watch Vangief get slaughtered by F. Champ's third tier Chun just like its annoying to play a character with one frame links against Gief and lose 2/3 of your health for dropping one.

Again though I'm not sure how you make a powerful grappler without doing this. Even in Skullgirls where Cerebella represents a really strong grappler who feels balanced, it's mitigated by the assist factor when she has to deal with heavy zoning and similarly assists factor heavily into defending against her.

Now I don't think it's a fireball thing for sure, some of the rush down characters do do okay against Grundy. flash does okay because his normals are fast and multi hit and ruin Grundy's armor game. And Wonder Woman does okay because b2 is almost a better space control tool than a fireball and her strings move her forward and put her plus on block so they both have to make reads.

Unfortunately even with his standing 3 Grundy decimates Lobo. Because Lobo has really poor answers for armor, a terrible wake up game, and his only advantage of high damage off hard knockdown is done 10x better by Grundy. Plus a whiffed chain or 3 is going to get Mb swamp hands on reaction.

Oh also a ton of Grundy's damage is unbreakable. That can be annoying too. :)

Do I think he needs nerfs. . . No. But he does kind of make Lobo, Bane, and to a lesser extent Shazam feel a bit pointless.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Grundy's mu are extremely bad against pretty much every top tier, and pretty good against some of the worst characters (shazam, flash, lobo, bane).

Even if he does extreme damage in his combos, he is not viable imho and you will probably never see anyone win a major or place high using only him (hope i'm wrong about this).

That said, making people ragequit because of pain chain is great

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
HAHAHA!!!!!!

No!!! Shazam bodies Grundy XD
I didn't mean that specific matchup. I know very little about Shazam, I just meant that Grundy is far and away the best Grappler type character and the other characters I knew were command grab centric were Lobo and Shazam. But hey play who you want. I play Lobo, but it's kind of obvious Grundy has better grabs that lead to better stuff.

ReZo

MKX
But see that sort of matchup distribution is kind of unfun for people. It's common to grapplers and pros deal with it. But it's sort of heartbreaking to watch Vangief get slaughtered by F. Champ's third tier Chun just like its annoying to play a character with one frame links against Gief and lose 2/3 of your health for dropping one.

Again though I'm not sure how you make a powerful grappler without doing this. Even in Skullgirls where Cerebella represents a really strong grappler who feels balanced, it's mitigated by the assist factor when she has to deal with heavy zoning and similarly assists factor heavily into defending against her.

Now I don't think it's a fireball thing for sure, some of the rush down characters do do okay against Grundy. flash does okay because his normals are fast and multi hit and ruin Grundy's armor game. And Wonder Woman does okay because b2 is almost a better space control tool than a fireball and her strings move her forward and put her plus on block so they both have to make reads.

Unfortunately even with his standing 3 Grundy decimates Lobo. Because Lobo has really poor answers for armor, a terrible wake up game, and his only advantage of high damage off hard knockdown is done 10x better by Grundy. Plus a whiffed chain or 3 is going to get Mb swamp hands on reaction.

Oh also a ton of Grundy's damage is unbreakable. That can be annoying too. :)

Do I think he needs nerfs. . . No. But he does kind of make Lobo, Bane, and to a lesser extent Shazam feel a bit pointless.
Doomsday can have a field day on Grundy, though I do personally agree with you, I'd love to play Lobo and Bane, but no point when Grundy does what they do better, and Shazam is still fun and I honestly don't think people know his true potential yet, I got a 59% no meter combo with shazam day 1 in the lab, no interactables either, but, Shazam is still a potato in the end, when other characters do more or less the same thing AND they do it better, why put yourself at a disadvantage, other than for bragging rights.

I'd love to play GGA Jeremiah's Doomsday, because I havn't faced a good DD in this game yet. The matchup experience would be great knowledge, pretty much rick-rolled all the DD's i've faced after I learned D2 and to dash forward on his unblockable air drop.

Funny thing to note, Zangief is my main in SF

Now with Cerebella, I agree to the assist factor helping to mitigate the Zoning in SG, though I can see your point on it. Whereas assists help defend against her as well, I must add in correlation to IGAU, If there were a way to make the B+1 > Trait Grab reset a 50/50, then i'd definitely say go for it, much similar to KF. But it just doesn't seem viable for a grappler to have to work so hard to get in, only to be denied at the end, and then punished for it. Which will then in turn lead to another 15% in chip damage trying to get back close, or worse, you get hit and combo'd. lol

ReZo

MKX
Grundy's mu are extremely bad against pretty much every top tier, and pretty good against some of the worst characters (shazam, flash, lobo, bane).

Even if he does extreme damage in his combos, he is not viable imho and you will probably never see anyone win a major or place high using only him (hope i'm wrong about this).

That said, making people ragequit because of pain chain is great
EDIT: Double Posting Like a Boss (Seriously thought i'd get a response before this post lol)

I plan to prove you wrong myself, gonna be heading to the tourney scene with my GG in full (GG=GrundyGame)

So I hope your wrong too lol.

But, I must say, the design flaw with rage quitters is quite annoying. (Recieving a loss, even though you didn't quit)

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
This kind of shows nicely that Shazam players really are like him. 10 year old boys.
Sorry to be excited about one of his only decent MU's....
Maybe I should just downplay Shazam and tell you that Grundy does make me rage quit and that i'm playing the worst character in the world blah blah blah.

We have enough of that, allow me to be happy that Grundy's craziness doesn't apply to Shazam, after all most of the cast has an advantage on him.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I didn't mean that specific matchup. I know very little about Shazam, I just meant that Grundy is far and away the best Grappler type character and the other characters I knew were command grab centric were Lobo and Shazam. But hey play who you want. I play Lobo, but it's kind of obvious Grundy has better grabs that lead to better stuff.
I know you didn't, I just got giddy that there's a thread about Grundy beating down on people but I found that Grundy can be punished easily by Shazam :3

Grundies armoured grab can be punished by B23 which may leave you minus but saves you from the grab ^_^

Asodimazze

EDIT: Double Posting Like a Boss (Seriously thought i'd get a response before this post lol)

I plan to prove you wrong myself, gonna be heading to the tourney scene with my GG in full (GG=GrundyGame)

So I hope your wrong too lol.

But, I must say, the design flaw with rage quitters is quite annoying. (Recieving a loss, even though you didn't quit)
I wish you the best luck, but I alsl suggest you to learn another character...
There is no point in going suicide; expecially in a major, where the 50% of your opponents will main superman, black adam and green lantern...

Asodimazze

this way of thinking i really dislike. pick your main, prove everyone wrong, if not, so be it.In the end, have fun...
I also dislike it, but if he is a really good player, shouldn't he have a chance to win? Why should he lose because of 2-8 matchup in nearly every round of the tournament?

There is a reason why none of the top american players only mains Grundy.
Tyrant used him recently and lost instantly, picked superman and won the tournament

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I also dislike it, but if he is a really good player, shouldn't he have a chance to win? Why should he lose because of 2-8 matchup in nearly every round of the tournament?

There is a reason why none of the top american players only mains Grundy.
Tyrant used him recently and lost instantly, picked superman and won the tournament
I see alot of top players polay grundy tough.
Ps its funny that you mention the thing about tyrant playing grundy and then dropping him, that match was against Ares, i main ares, and hes supposed to be mid/bottom tier. Get my point?

Asodimazze

I see alot of top players polay grundy tough.
Ps its funny that you mention the thing about tyrant playing grundy and then dropping him, that match was against Ares, i main ares, and hes supposed to be mid/bottom tier. Get my point?
Grundy doesn't have any advantage vs ares, and surely he isn't low.
Who are the top players who main only grundy and did well in tournaments?

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Ares being bottom tier is bull shit. Lawl
I don't believe that either, but thats what everyone assumes.

Grundy doesn't have any advantage vs ares, and surely he isn't low.
Who are the top players who main only grundy and did well in tournaments?
I haven't seen any grundy players win tournament, but the game is only out for a month. I might be wrong but i just think its absurd to drop your main already after a month, because a tierlist says hes bad or some ppl on the internet think hes not viable.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
He is annoying when he gets into those massive chain grabs that you can't even clash with a full meter and it decides the match. But whatever it's only a game. Doomsday has some cheap crap too and that's who I main =)