Do you want Cole Young in MK12?

• Yes

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 83 89.2%

• Total voters

Art Lean

Noob
Going to be controversial here, but definitely.

Not because I even remotely care for the character, but just because I think something should be done in the mainline game universe to give the character some actual value in ever having been created. I like MK21 well enough as a movie but there's no denying the character was absolutely pointless and should have been Johnny Cage, so I'd be happy if they can retroactively justify him somehow, and would also give the movie a bit more credibility in the lead character role. He doesn't have to be a fighter, he can be the blank canvas Shujinko-style character for a Konquest mode, or the new Krypt Guy, or even just have a storyline role like Li Mei did in MKX, just something that justifies his existence and gives him some value in the 'real' MK universe.

Besides, Lewis Tan seems a cool guy and simply deserves better; after having had his role as Kung Jin in Legacy season 3 locked away in the WB vault for the rest of eternity, then getting the lead in the new movie only to portray someone absolutely reviled by the fanbase, it'd be nice to finally have potential in warming to the character somehow.

I'd prefer the original characters from Conquest more though.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Going to be controversial here, but definitely.

Not because I even remotely care for the character, but just because I think something should be done in the mainline game universe to give the character some actual value in ever having been created. I like MK21 well enough as a movie but there's no denying the character was absolutely pointless and should have been Johnny Cage, so I'd be happy if they can retroactively justify him somehow, and would also give the movie a bit more credibility in the lead character role. He doesn't have to be a fighter, he can be the blank canvas Shujinko-style character for a Konquest mode, or the new Krypt Guy, or even just have a storyline role like Li Mei did in MKX, just something that justifies his existence and gives him some value in the 'real' MK universe.

Besides, Lewis Tan seems a cool guy and simply deserves better; after having had his role as Kung Jin in Legacy season 3 locked away in the WB vault for the rest of eternity, then getting the lead in the new movie only to portray someone absolutely reviled by the fanbase, it'd be nice to finally have potential in warming to the character somehow.

I'd prefer the original characters from Conquest more though.
I disagree with your reasoning that the games should go out of their way to justify bad decisions made in a crappy movie; however, I see Cole the same way I see some 3D-era characters like Dairou and Hsu Hao. By that, I mean that I have no objection to NRS taking poorly-designed character and trying to rework them to make them cool.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I had to google what his powers were again, I completely forgot.

He has some magic armor and tonfas?

I was gonna type up some shit about how I trust NRS to do something decent with it, but he just kinda falls into the weird kombat kid niche.
So at that point, just let Lewas Tan voice Kung Jin, and pretend Cole never happened.

I don't know why they didn't just use Kung Jin for the movie in the first place.
Don't really need a plot reason to have Scorpion and Sub-Zero fight.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I don't know why they didn't just use Kung Jin for the movie in the first place.
Don't really need a plot reason to have Scorpion and Sub-Zero fight.
I always thought that it should have been Cage. I mean it would have been perfect. An older Cage, who has lost his stardom becomes a MMA fighter to make ends meet. It would have wored so much better. I assume they canned it as they were having do much fun with Kano and felt that they were to similar.

I stand by the film. I mean sure the introductory stuff to everything was lame, with the magic tatoo and the explanation of the powers and stuff. Still there was a lot to like in that movie, imo. Just the Kano joke about Kung Lao spamming D2 was gold. Worth the ticket price right there.

Art Lean

Noob
I disagree with your reasoning that the games should go out of their way to justify bad decisions made in a crappy movie; however, I see Cole the same way I see some 3D-era characters like Dairou and Hsu Hao. By that, I mean that I have no objection to NRS taking poorly-designed character and trying to rework them to make them cool.
That was fundamentally the exact point I was trying to make.

Except I personally like MK being one unified universe across the media, I don't like negating something as spin-off devoid of value when plenty has bled over from the films and TV shows. Granted I don't accept that all of the events were necessarily canon (hell Conquest's final episode completely throws a spanner in that idea, regardless of how fun that was), but I do like characters and concepts being carried over into the greater lore so one can enjoy it all as part of perhaps a larger "tapestry of mythology" (whereby things may be remembered differently as the centuries go by or timelines are changed by the Elder Gods). The Lin Kuei logo comes from Conquest, Johnny and Sonya as a couple comes from MK95, Zaterra and Quan Chi debuted in Defenders of the Realm (granted the latter was a deliberate cross-promotion in the lead up to MKM and MK4), Rain being of ethnicity and Noob as a liquid shadow fighter both come Annihilation, hell MK11 has even referenced Goro's brother Duroc from The Journey Begins; so given how great the portrayal of Kano was in MK21 and how much Lewis Tan seems such a cool guy who's really paid his dues to the franchise yet keeps being done dirty, I'd just like to see Cole thrown a charitable bone to make something of the character.

Last edited:
Half the fun of MK has always been a wacky if stupid cast.

Having some movies required everyman in the cast, and god forbid the story mode, is only going to make things worse. If they can think of something clever to do with him fine, but if he's just the "look we have a relatable character because the rest of these people are fucking lunatics" option it's going to be wasting yet another story mode.