What's new

Question Do you use D1~spear as a poke?

Do you?

• Yes, but only very sparingly to catch a rushdown player off guard

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • No, even a paralyzed sloth with down syndrome could block in time, kill yourself you idiot

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
iatp does work

especially when youre playing someone offline and can see their reaction after you accidentaly do the instant version while they planned to uppercut to kill you and you D4 to kill them instead.
It CAN work, yes. When done fast enough, you can appear on the other side of the screen without hitting them even if they're blocking. It's a bit of a decent way to discourage zoning, but not exactly the best method.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
It CAN work, yes. When done fast enough, you can appear on the other side of the screen without hitting them even if they're blocking. It's a bit of a decent way to discourage zoning, but not exactly the best method.
unless you can do it consistently then they wont guard against it, if they want anything more than an uppercut theyll walk back and block as you reppear from iatp and are forced to fall into them

add ex iatp and things get sticky

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
unless you can do it consistently then they wont guard against it, if they want anything more than an uppercut theyll walk back and block as you reppear from iatp and are forced to fall into them

add ex iatp and things get sticky
Exactly. Not an option I'd get into the habit of, even if you're great with instant-air motions.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
funny you guys bashing d1~spear and iatp, while slips uses both of these with decent success.

I think the theory behind d1~spear is that good players will be ready to counterpoke the d1, either with a d1/d3/fast normal, and the spear cannot be interrupted. So, when a good player like Dizzy tries to counterpoke with F3, he eats a spear, into the vortex, and so on. It will even catch some characters trying to d1, but I think d3 stops that shit from connecting, so as long as your opponent is mindful of that...

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
If this is working against people you play, you need better competition.
Really? Cause I use it on competition that blew you and your entire continent's back out.

d1 spear is essential for Scorpion.

I started using this especially vs. Cage. Since d+3 and standing 3 is worthless against Cage pressure, you have no opion but to use d+1 to get out. Too bad you still have to guess for half life even when you guessed right to get out in the first place between him mashing f+3 again or mashing b+3. So to prevent this, I started using d+1~takedown. But after playing GGA Dizzy at UFGT last year and realising he didn't give a shit about takedown I knew I had to do something else. So I started using d+1~spear. It was the only thing that make Cage and a lot of characters with good rushdown actually respect Scorpion after getting hit by a d+1. Once they start ducking after a d+1...you know what to do.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Really? Cause I use it on competition that blew you and your entire continent's back out.

I started using this especially vs. Cage. Since d+3 and standing 3 is worthless against Cage pressure, you have no opion but to use d+1 to get out. Too bad you still have to guess for half life even when you guessed right to get out in the first place between him mashing f+3 again or mashing b+3. So to prevent this, I started using d+1~takedown. But after playing GGA Dizzy at UFGT last year and realising he didn't give a shit about takedown I knew I had to do something else. So I started using d+1~spear. It was the only thing that make Cage and a lot of characters with good rushdown actually respect Scorpion after getting hit by a d+1. Once they start ducking after a d+1...you know what to do.
If you're at Evo, play me, try this and I will massacre you beyond belief. I'll make you drop Scorpion.

That's all, if you're playing in tournament, and attempt something like this, you're asking to lose. It's not legitimate, its desperation tactics.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
If you're at Evo, play me, try this and I will massacre you beyond belief. I'll make you drop Scorpion.
lol I get blown up by the GGA guys on a weekly basis. I'm sure they give me ass beatings much worse than you ever will and I still play with that silly character. Since they've already given you that beating in the first place, I doubt you of all people will make me quit him. ;)

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
lol I get blown up by the GGA guys on a weekly basis. I'm sure they give me ass beatings much worse than you ever will and I still play with that silly character. Since they've already given you that beating in the first place, I doubt you of all people will make me quit him. ;)
What beating, which GGA members placed higher than me again other than 16bit? (If he even did?)

Oh wait...

I highly doubt any GGA member is ready for me now anyway, no disrespect to the others.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

slips king of da d1 speere

Even so, D1 into 334 makes the 334 a 9f move, why risk d1 spear when you can create a hitconfirmable option?
Foxy I know what you mean, your spot on. However, what the OP means is to catch people off guard that are good at counter-poking. For example, Ermac is negative on block after d1, which means he can be easily counter-poked. Most players counter poke with strings, so if Ermac cancels d1~Lift he will blow up the counter-poke.

187x

Noob

That's all, if you're playing in tournament, and attempt something like this, you're asking to lose. It's not legitimate, its desperation tactics.
you better back that up. and d1 spear could work and it could not i ready told you i use it sometimes

20$ on slips

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
you better back that up. and d1 spear could work and it could not i ready told you i use it sometimes

20$ on slips
That'd be the most easily lost $20 of your life, you'd be a fool to believe I'd lose to a Scorpion player.

Slips

D1~Spear is essentially what Big D was doing (or at least I think that was Big D) with Ermac by using d1~Lift to blow up counter-pokes.

D1~Spear is legit against counter-pokes (excluding pokes with high crush properties).

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
weren't you the KTP most overrated player???
Most overrated by:

1: Slips, a guy who hates me
2: 16 Bit, another guy who hates me
3: K7 - Their friend.

Excellent. Hardly a community call.

But thats fine by me, call me overrated. It'd suck to lose to me then.
Not even sure where their hate for me comes from in the first place, but fuck it.

D1~Spear, must be a good idea, I'll stop and let the thread continue, and allow all that read it to believe that D1 spear is a genius idea. I'm overrated and I don't know shit about MK9 anyway so I must be wrong.

~If you like these you may also like:

D1-Spin - Kung Lao
D1-Lift - Ermac
D1-Ice ball - SZ
D1- Fan lift - Kitana
D1-Upball - Kano
D1- Parry - CSZ
D1- Nutpunch - JC
D1 - Waterbubble - Rain

ALL on the grounds that the opponent may not expect it, even though there are better options too.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
Isn't the common reaction to a d1 hitting, d1 ing back or duck block or just block? wouldnt all these options make the spear whiff or get blocked leading to scorpion getting a full combo? Everytime a kitana interrupts my pressure with d1 i immediately block low to stop d1 cutter so wouldn't the same apply here and for all d1 into specials?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I think you have every right to say that when the person you're arguing with didn't suffer a near death injury and played with no preparation or sleep, straight out of the hospital.

Amazing what cheap shots people take when they have nothing else to.

My 0.02$

Reactions: RYX

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
shit risk reward

overhead after they respect the d1 spear? nah, D3/4 back and safe either way, 20 frames to interrupt takedown as well