What's new

Question Do you use D1~spear as a poke?

Do you?

• Yes, but only very sparingly to catch a rushdown player off guard

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • No, even a paralyzed sloth with down syndrome could block in time, kill yourself you idiot

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Hmm, it works yes, but don't ever do it deliberately, I understand that you're committing to so many risks already trying to get the most out of his footsies, that you might think why not, but I can't really recommend falling back on this one. There's no method behind the madness using it as a footsie tool anywhere on screen. Just roll with it if negative edge does you an inadvertent favor.

In other news, the vortex is just an online tactic too, there's no guess work involved, everyone can fuzzy guard each mix-up on reaction offline. We also like to chuck spears at Sheeva from full screen.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
You actually made a thread for this? lol.

I do it. But it's only because I like hitting people with stupid shit. Haha.
Why not? My status regarding it got plenty of replies.

In other news, the vortex is just an online tactic too, there's no guess work involved, everyone can fuzzy guard each mix-up on reaction offline.
You being serious? I feel like my online sarcasm detector is busted these days, I can't tell anymore

STRYKIE

Why not? My status regarding it got plenty of replies.

You being serious? I feel like my online sarcasm detector is busted these days, I can't tell anymore
Nah all sarcasm. I just find it funny when players draw conclusions about things that annoy them online and assume it doesn't work offline lol.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Nah all sarcasm. I just find it funny when players draw conclusions about things that annoy them online and assume it doesn't work offline lol.
That's the whole point of this thread. Being an online player, this works for me online against rushdown Jax/Cage/Liu Kang players (I only play online with maybe 3 Japanese players, so my experience is very limited). I want to know what offline players think, that is, if they've ever actually encountered a Scorpion player using this strategy offline.

Glass Sword

Nobody
The d1 spear works strangely enough. I think it has more to do with the way the game works than anything. Players just see that d1 and I guess they jump or whatever and get hit. It helps Scorpion get a little more respect for his d1.
Just don't do it every time you will die.

STRYKIE

That's the whole point of this thread. Being an online player, this works for me online against rushdown Jax/Cage/Liu Kang players (I only play online with maybe 3 Japanese players, so my experience is very limited). I want to know what offline players think, that is, if they've ever actually encountered a Scorpion player using this strategy offline.
Oh my bad, I forgot you were out in Japan lol. But yeah in Scorpion's case what you see is what you get, offline or on. I was just pointing out that while it's not as ridiculous an idea as other players with limited Scorp experience want to convince themselves it is, it's still not something you should rely on under any circumstances.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You actually made a thread for this? lol.

I do it. But it's only because I like hitting people with stupid shit. Haha.
no problem if he wants to learn something about his character.

personally id never use d1 spear, mainly because i dont play unsafe unless on a read during 11 pressure.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Oh my bad, I forgot you were out in Japan lol. But yeah in Scorpion's case what you see is what you get, offline or on. I was just pointing out that while it's not as ridiculous an idea as other players with limited Scorp experience want to convince themselves it is, it's still not something you should rely on under any circumstances.
I would only consider using it after gauging how they react after I poke out of pressure with just d1. Do they block? Do they jump (forward/back/neutral)? They they just say "lol Scorpion" and keep trying to rush me down?

If they block every time after I d1, then I don't do it. If they're going full balls to the teeth rushing, jumping, etc then I pull the trigger on it.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Use 334 as a counter poke dammit D1 spear will get you killed, this REALLY doesn't require any explanation.
All D1 does on hit is give you enough cancel advantage to throw a spear out, which any average player will block.

If this is working against people you play, you need better competition.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I would only consider using it after gauging how they react after I poke out of pressure with just d1. Do they block? Do they jump (forward/back/neutral)? They they just say "lol Scorpion" and keep trying to rush me down?

If they block every time after I d1, then I don't do it. If they're going full balls to the teeth rushing, jumping, etc then I pull the trigger on it.
something less dangerous and more logical is D1 on hit, backdash, B2

you create distance with D1 and unless they have a move similar to cages F3 theyre gonna get whiff punished for trying to continue pressure as well as blocking the B2 at max or close to max range

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Use 334 as a counter poke dammit D1 spear will get you killed, this REALLY doesn't require any explanation.
All D1 does on hit is give you enough cancel advantage to throw a spear out, which any average player will block.

If this is working against people you play, you need better competition.
this isnt about counterpoking but poking during pressure

why would you use 334? you should hit confirm 33 and if its blocked takedown, same - frame advantage and most players go to a string right after which can be ex speared

STRYKIE

Well yeah, with the "lawlskawpsux" mentality you just have to not give a fuck back, but in my case it usually ends up being EX spear, 2 mixups, GG. (for better or worse :p) But even then I'd rather go with D1~Takedown, D4~Takedown is preferable but if the disrespect is that bad you might aswell just commit to armor, and at least the untechable knockdown from it will make them more liable to make the bad commitment.

This is why I think a solid number for the Scorp/Skarlet matchup will never come to be, we don't know how big of an asset his hitbox is to her, but at the same time in the current metagame, Scorpion feasts on autopilot mindsets.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
this isnt about counterpoking but poking during pressure

why would you use 334? you should hit confirm 33 and if its blocked takedown, same - frame advantage and most players go to a string right after which can be ex speared
Even so, D1 into 334 makes the 334 a 9f move, why risk d1 spear when you can create a hitconfirmable option?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Even so, D1 into 334 makes the 334 a 9f move, why risk d1 spear when you can create a hitconfirmable option?
didnt say you shouldnt, vs certain chars there are better options than a string bound to end -4

doesnt it take 3 frames to go to a standing attack from crouch?

Mr_Swizzer

OUTCAST
Not really safe if the other char is standing, Spear can be heavily wiff punished if blocked or crouched, D1 leg slide is safer because you can recover into block again.

I didn't know if you where talking about anti airs or standing block, So i assumed you meant standing block, Anti air i do D1 teleport 111 spear into vortex.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
didnt say you shouldnt, vs certain chars there are better options than a string bound to end -4

doesnt it take 3 frames to go to a standing attack from crouch?
Don't think so, I think it takes less than 1 or something. I think sombreness posted something about it a while ago

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Because maybe some players won't respect Scorp enough to give him 9f

My competition is fine, thanks

And remember that this is online
if they dont respect the 9f 3 after a d1 then its a full combo

if they poke after d1 on hit then you can bait it or beat it half clean with D1 takedown

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I laughed out loud at the second choice in the poll. :D

But seriously, D1 - Spear? BIG NO-NO. I realize this is coming from someone who considered the possibilities of instant-air Teleport Punch, but still, just...no.
iatp does work

especially when youre playing someone offline and can see their reaction after you accidentaly do the instant version while they planned to uppercut to kill you and you D4 to kill them instead.