What's new

Question Do you think the 3 variation system is something that will stick in future MK titles?

It will suck if it goes, then you have a character that you love, then that character has a garbage ass Playstyle. Or even you prefer other parts of their moveset like totally Mileena's Ravenous fighting style > her sais.

Gofer_MK_

Banned
Love the variations, but I would be happy if they made only 2 for each character and upgrade the rooster to 28-30 combatants on the start. :)

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
The only Chars in the game I feel have only 1 useful variation of the top of my head is Tanya(is Dragon really that bad?) and Sub Zero.

I think every other char has atlaest 2 viable variations that are viable from what we know so far there could be more!!!!
The game is not even a year old yet so stop acting like you guys know all the MUs already.

It started of rocky but with discovery's and patching they made the system work really well

The only Chars in the game I feel have only 1 useful variation of the top of my head is Tanya(is Dragon really that bad?) and Sub Zero.

I think every other char has atlaest 2 viable variations that are viable from what we know so far there could be more!!!!
The game is not even a year old yet so stop acting like you guys know all the MUs already.

It started of rocky but with discovery's and patching they made the system work really well
Pyromancer is OK , but it really needs some serious buffs. Dragon Naginata is shit, and she should've had another variation.

Spooky Deadeye

Project-6 β
Have a feeling it will go back to old school, Mk9, but with a twist. What sort of twist? Can't guess, but i think is that.
If they are keeping the Variation System in the next game, then i'm sure it will be much more complex with newer features.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
The problem with Variations is, while what @xWildx said is true, there's more to it. A lot of them follow a pattern.

Variation 1 is the gimmicky one, where the character gets some kind of new/returning move or ability their playstyle revolves around, or their moves are replaced all together. (unstoppable, grandmaster, hi tech, inferno, kenjutsu, mournful, etc.) For our character, this is Ravenous.

Variation 2 is the easy mode one, where the character either has extended kombos/reach or powerful projectiles, usually this one resembles their MK9 status, but not always(heavy weapons, full auto, cryomancer, balanced, royal storm, ninjitsu, thunder god, slasher, etc.) For our character, this is Piercing.

Variation 3 is the wildcard, where the character gains a new set of moves that completely changes their battle plan, either introducing movement or changing from pressure to anti pressure and vice versa (hellfire, unbreakable, relentless, assassin, displacer, possessed, etc.) This is Ethereal for Mileena.

Besides, each character really seems to only have two well thought out Variations. In Mileena's case, Ravenous and Piercing. The third one just seems added for the sake of 3 variations, sometimes stealing moves from other Kombatants.

Hat Trick
Summoner
Dualist
Assassin
Ethereal
Shaolin
Brood Mother (You could argue this one, because BM still has SQ's cancels)
Nimble
Warrior
Master of Storms
Spec Ops
Outlaw
Stunt Double
Lasher
Master of Souls

IrishMantis

The problem with Variations is, while what @xWildx said is true, there's more to it. A lot of them follow a pattern.

Variation 1 is the gimmicky one, where the character gets some kind of new/returning move or ability their playstyle revolves around, or their moves are replaced all together. (unstoppable, grandmaster, hi tech, inferno, kenjutsu, mournful, etc.) For our character, this is Ravenous.

Variation 2 is the easy mode one, where the character either has extended kombos/reach or powerful projectiles, usually this one resembles their MK9 status, but not always(heavy weapons, full auto, cryomancer, balanced, royal storm, ninjitsu, thunder god, slasher, etc.) For our character, this is Piercing.

Variation 3 is the wildcard, where the character gains a new set of moves that completely changes their battle plan, either introducing movement or changing from pressure to anti pressure and vice versa (hellfire, unbreakable, relentless, assassin, displacer, possessed, etc.) This is Ethereal for Mileena.

Besides, each character really seems to only have two well thought out Variations. In Mileena's case, Ravenous and Piercing. The third one just seems added for the sake of 3 variations, sometimes stealing moves from other Kombatants.

Hat Trick
Summoner
Dualist
Assassin
Ethereal
Shaolin
Brood Mother (You could argue this one, because BM still has SQ's cancels)
Nimble
Warrior
Master of Storms
Spec Ops
Outlaw
Stunt Double
Lasher
Master of Souls
So much is wrong here I do not know where to start!

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM

Depends on your meaning of viable.

Naginata isn't awful, per se, it just takes more than it gives. I guess you could just pogo stick against lots of characters fullscreen, but a 3rd of the characters have teleports.

IrishMantis

Elitist Test Your Might, you never fail to surprise me.

Go on, explain how my opinion is "wrong". And try not to talk down to me, as I've never insulted you.
Im not being elitist.

Who does Stunt Double steal moves from?
you can say Noob, but Noob had none of these move

Edit:Yeah i probably came across arrogant, I apologise for that

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Im not being elitist.

Who does Stunt Double steal moves from?
you can say Noob, but Noob had none of these move

Edit:Yeah i probably came across arrogant, I apologise for that
Noob did possess moves very very similar to Johnny. The man had a slide move for his clone, Johnny has a Shadow Kick for his clone. Noob had a rising kick air flying thing for his clone, Johnny has that little air punch thing for his clone.

You can't say that he doesn't seem like Noob Saibot. SD is a poor man's Noob.

IrishMantis

Noob did possess moves very very similar to Johnny. The man had a slide move for his clone, Johnny has a Shadow Kick for his clone. Noob had a rising kick air flying thing for his clone, Johnny has that little air punch thing for his clone.

You can't say that he doesn't seem like Noob Saibot. SD is a poor man's Noob.
Yeah they are sililiar as in advance style but mechanically they work much different

Noobs was a fast projectile that usually only only knocked them down away with no limit of use

SD's are Limited to every 7 seconds for a load up so you can visually see he has 2 or 1, plus SDs launch and are vplus on block

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Yeah they are sililiar as in advance style but mechanically they work much different

Noobs was a fast projectile that usually only only knocked them down away with no limit of use

SD's are Limited to every 7 seconds for a load up so you can visually see he has 2 or 1, plus SDs launch and are vplus on block
My point is it's the same concept pushed on another character.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Will it? It will. It's gotten a positive response from competitors and NRS is taking strides to be a legitimate competitive fighting game as well as keeping the brand unique to the scene.

Personally, I am on the fence on this. I mean I have come to enjoy the variations but I don't roll with the competitive fans anyways so it's a bit much for my friends who are casual. In fact, most of my friends would rather play MK2011 than MKX (my new coaster, sadly).

In saying that, I hate how some characters have their iconic specials solely in one variation. It makes sense in theory but after years of it being universal to the character regardless of what stance, it's a bit of a nuisance. Maybe they can fix variationless mode to be the actual classic play style and not just the basic character.

Who knows, we had tag teams in MK 9 but they took it away in MKX.
Never Forget ;_;

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Elitist Test Your Might, you never fail to surprise me.

Go on, explain how my opinion is "wrong". And try not to talk down to me, as I've never insulted you.
The only thing I will admit struck me as wrong was that you included Assasin with the "just for the hell of it" meanwhile, in my opinion, the hideous Mournful belongs there. Assassin to me suits Kitana and is just showcasing her more aggressive side. Mournful is just Jade.

Also, I totally resented that you consider Piercing "easy" mode simply because it's my play style. :p

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
The only thing I will admit struck me as wrong was that you included Assasin with the "just for the hell of it" meanwhile, in my opinion, the hideous Mournful belongs there. Assassin to me suits Kitana and is just showcasing her more aggressive side. Mournful is just Jade.

Also, I totally resented that you consider Piercing "easy" mode simply because it's my play style. :p
Nah, to me it seems like Mournful was originally going to be a variation for Kitty. What doesn't make sense is that Assassin is variation full of moves Kitana has never had, but doesn't even alter much else. Kinda like Lasher.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Nah, to me it seems like Mournful was originally going to be a variation for Kitty. What doesn't make sense is that Assassin is variation full of moves Kitana has never had, but doesn't even alter much else. Kinda like Lasher.
Well if you're going by moves she never had. She never used a glaive, a staff, and a shadow kick as far as I know

Pyromancer is OK , but it really needs some serious buffs. Dragon Naginata is shit, and she should've had another variation.
Why do you think that Dragon Naginata is shit? It's certainly not as bad as people make it out to be. I consider Pyromancer to be much worse, but I'm open to your opinion.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Why do you think that Dragon Naginata is shit? It's certainly not as bad as people make it out to be. I consider Pyromancer to be much worse, but I'm open to your opinion.
I think Dragon isn't too bad. just that it doesn't really have a purpose other than offer a mixup off of f4 and give more range. I guess it can move a lot more than the other 2 variations, but in no way is is on par or better than Kobu.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I just hope all three variations for each character will be viable and fair compared to others and we don't get more "GUYS WE NEED A THIRD ONE COME UP WITH SOMETHING QUICK" variations.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
It's based on Jade, who did previously have those moves. In my opinion it's a "stolen moveset," not one made up on the fly.
I think it's just the lazy one honestly. They wanna pay "homage" to a character, but only give them 3 moves. The lack of staff attacks, hell even a staff overhead is telling me they needed any ol' thing for Kit, and decided on a discount/watered down/bare minimum Jade