What's new

Question Do you think the 3 variation system is something that will stick in future MK titles?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I kinda like it because I'm a huge fan of character variety, but I doubt they will. They wanted to make a new gimmick for the game and it worked out well, but it'd be a lot of extra work to keep doing this. The most I can see is them allowing multiple options of supers or injustice-style traits.

There are some drawbacks though. There are some variations that are kinda just there because they have to come up with 3 per character. It can also limit the design of a character, where the variations sort of become pieces of a complete character. Like it somewhat limits the depth of a lot of characters because certain aspects are only given to one variation (like Raiden's teleport, Sub's clone). Some characters would be broke if all 3 of their variations were combined outright, but if ideas from the variations in MKX were combined and balanced in a single character, characters could be a lot more interesting as a whole. Like if they combined War God and Blood God Kotal, or gave Jacqui the ability to switch out cartridges on her gauntlets for different styles within a match.

It does allow some cool ideas that they couldn't have done otherwise, like Mournful and Tartakan, and some neat experiments like Dualist. But those seem like just one-game things

Last edited:

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
Ok, lol. Right. Outside of the occasional variation loyalist, or variation counter pick of a character loyalist, there isn't much variety. Are you sure YOU watch majors?
Most characters have multiple viable variations that all see use. It's characters like Tanya with blatantly weaker variations that almost always use the same one, and even then that's just a balance issue that could be fixed. She just happens to be one of the best and most popular characters which makes it look like people only use 1 variation of a character. The last EVO had hat trick kung lao, gunslinger erron black, etc.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
It my opinion, it's one of the greatest ideas in the history of fighting games. That may sound dramatic, but I honestly believe it to be the case. Obviously, it hasn't been executed perfectly the first time around, but the concept is ingenious.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Yes variations should be in all future NRS games.

Look at jason, his all variations are considered bottom tier yet he has the highest winning %. Let's be real here tiers don't mean shit to casuals and MKX is more balanced previous NRS games.

Kitana having Jade variation is a choice, it's not because they couldn't come up with 3rd variation for Kitana. Jade wasn't going to be in this game anyway.

I would be disappointed if they don't have variations in Injustice. A character like Green lantern will benefit a lot from this system, everyone wants to play their favourite lantern with the complete moveset, and the only way we are going to get 4 lanterns is through variation system, make green lantern like triborg.

One variation for Hal
One variation for John
One for Guy
And hidden one for Kyle.

Same can be done with Flashes.

DC characters in general have gone through a lot more and it's easier to create variations for them.

Barry can be rush down variations
Zoom would be space control with his sonic boom fingers.
Impulse has potential to be zoning flash(omg, what a zoning flash?), yes, impulse has the ability to create clones of himself who will do his work.

They can easily come up with 3 variations for superman.

Kryptonian
Bizzaro
Cyborg superman

Wonder Woman is another character who has limitless variation potential.

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
Trying to imagine Kotal in the next game without the variation system is something I don't want to do. I genuinely don't know how they could keep his Macahuitl (a must have), his totems (they just fit the character), and his SGC (the most badass command grab since shazam) in one character without him being completely ridiculous. And since I don't want to lose any of his 3 characteristics I want to keep the variation system. Kotal is perfect. But he just wouldn't work in one character unless they cut out most of his awesome moves.

....unless he isn't in the next game! I will riot if this turns out to be true.

kevkopdx

Noob
i prefer the trait system... too many variations are watered down... i would prefer a more robust moveset per character and a well thought out trait system... its unlikely, i doubt they would transfer the injustice system to mk but wishful thinking... zatanna was so fun with her trait, it opened up so much combo variety, love it, cant wait for injustice 2 :)

Lokheit

Noob
I'd like it to return but just with 2 variations and here is why:

- Not all characters have enough unique stuff to make 3 variations and some end up with borrowed or "homage" variations while others get iconic moves just in one of their variations.

- It's easier to balance. 3 variations per character has proven to be a headache for game balance as you can't nerf universal moves for one variation without affecting the others and many characters end up with a top tier variation and a low tier one. Kung Lao, Subbie, Tanya, etc... (status quo might change after March 1st but it has been like that for plenty of balance patches).

With just 2 per character you still get the variety, you can make each one pretty unique without needing to hold something (or not including another whole character) for the third one and the universal stuff is easier to balance as there are only 2 options to take into account.

It also leaves room for some extra characters, not as many as variations cut because they also take resources from the graphic and programming departments, but if you shave 1 variation out of each character on a roster of 33, that's 33 variations less for game balance and from that perspective while you're not going to add 16 characters (32 variations at 2 per character) you could add 2-4 full characters for 4 to 8 variations that even if they come with new characters will be easier to balance than the previous numbers and it's still affordable for the other departments IMO while more character loyalists will be happy as there is more room and their favs could make the cut.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
I would also like to add that they don't have to create 3 new variations for next game.

All they have to do is.

Keep the most played variation as it is.

Tweak the second most played variation

Replace the least played variation with something new.

Also add more unique combo strings to variations. E.g Cryomancer's ice daggers.

Problem solved.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
I would also like to add that they don't have to create 3 new variations for next game.

All they have to do is.

Keep the most played variation as it is.

Tweak the second most played variation

Replace the least played variation with something new.

Also add more unique combo strings to variations. E.g Cryomancer's ice daggers.

Problem solved.
Why even make a new game then if they do it that way? That would be better suited if they would stick with X for years through updates, and we dont have to spend $60 for minor tweaks

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The variation system was used as a way to soft counter balance in the game, it clearly didn't work out, however there is something the variation system did pretty well, is giving any player in the world a chance to have at least one character compatible with him and explore it. Sure it makes more difficult to balance out things, and it makes really hard to learn MU, living proof no one dares to make MU charts to a some extent even now.

Some variations are truly imbalanced, others are just unexplored, I still think it's pretty fun.

I don't exactly see them go, but I think next Mk, there might be a new way to toy around, which makes me believe, the possibility of having only 2 variations and the ability not only to pick one to start the match with, but the ability to change variations in game, maybe at cost of something, but still.

Also hopes nrs takes in cosideration instead of just giving tools to some characters, take an approach where one variation covers certain weak points of a character, and variation B covers the others parts that the variation A didn't had access to it, that is way there could be a more fun way to fully explore a character, and learn their ins and outs.

Also, I really hope there are no guests in the next Mk game, they keep stealing spots from characters that could be in.

Hopefully they explore more the lesser characters of their own lore, which should have been playable by now, there is a ton of characters that could have some great development, only to continuously be kept in the dark, over some random new guy that just shows up with some crap story, such as Jacqui, erron and Kung Jin, sorry to who ever mains and like those characters, I just was never able to enjoy them, and thank god kp2 almost save the day with more Mk characters, but I can't help to think this is still,the less appealing Mk game when roster related.

And last but not least, if nrs is following the model of mk1, mk2, Mk trilogy who had all from mk1,2,3 characters and Mkda, mkd, and Mka model who had every single Mk character, I really hope the next Mk to have all characters from mk9 to MKX, including lesser characters as fire god, fujin, Kia, Jatakas, sareena, reiko every single one, this would be pretty freaking awesome.

Sure as hell hope not... 3 variation system is dull and unfair. I would like 2 different trait system for injustice, but thats it. The matchups are still bad for the character, most of the characters have useless variations which is sad, so lets say if kobu jutsu beats swarm queen, if you are going to pick brood mother to space out more, you are going to get your neck snapped in 3 secs. I hope they never do 3 variations again and work on balancing instead of throwing more characters in the game.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Why even make a new game then if they do it that way? That would be better suited if they would stick with X for years through updates, and we dont have to spend $60 for minor tweaks
With new game there will be new characters, new story line and new mechanics as well and NRS is not known for supporting their games for more than a year.

Though I think this the only mortal kombat game we are getting for this generation of consoles.

Boon has said MK11 or Injustice 2 needs to happen before they can do MKvsDC.

If their next game for 2017 is injustice 2 and MKvsDC for 2019, I think it is safe to assume next solo MK game will be on next generation of consoles in 2021.

no, i want it to die for better overall balance and not seeing some characters splitted to multiply variations

and better then that i want to see all MK cast in a MK game instead of horror movie characters or any guest characters... not 1 not 2 BUT 4...

they really started great again with MK9 and they really made this game very different instead of improving upon what made MK9 great and make it more balanced and polished

Last edited:

Goat-City

Banned
If they come back then you need to be able to change them mid match either by spending a bar after a round ends to switch before the next round starts, or switching mid round for a bar, or it could cost no meter but it would just force you into a long animation, during which you're very vulnerable. They also need to get rid of the variation accessories and just make them unlockable in the Krypt to put on your character just for the looks of it.

I'm a bit concerned though that it will be too difficult to redesign most of the characters in MKX again with new variations and new base movesets. They did such a fantastic job on the designs and movesets of the characters in MKX that I can't see them topping them in MK11. Kung Lao's moveset and variations for example are so perfect that I can't imagine them making brand new ones for MK11 that end up being just as great, so what I think they should do is just carry over the movesets for characters in MKX into MK11 with maybe a few tweaks to the variations and leave it at that. Since they wouldn't have to work on redesigning pre existing characters all over again for the third time in a row, they could spend their time doubling the roster and adding a ton of new stages including updated ones from MK9 with modern graphics.