What's new

Question Do You Honestly Think Nightwing Is Underrated?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
That's what I want to know too :confused:

I'm trying to stop the generalisition and am asking for specificity lol
He has options. Just ignore people.

You don't want to mindlessly pressure with NW. You want to play footsies with the threat of + frames. The great thing is that NW can make reads that are safe either way due to +frames. That's what's important to remember here.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I'm going to try and go to more tournaments if my job allows me to.

But apparently @Sajam thinks nobody will care
I just think Injustice won't be getting the numbers to make the placing feel like it wasn't late. Something like somebody who played mk since the start finally getting top 8 at a major now, not really as impressive

Maybe I'm wrong though, and it will get those kind of numbers.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I just think Injustice won't be getting the numbers to make the placing feel like it wasn't late. Something like somebody who played mk since the start finally getting top 8 at a major now, not really as impressive

Maybe I'm wrong though, and it will get those kind of numbers.
Even if it's lower numbers, one could argue that it's tougher to place because the bad players have been weeded out and what's left are the best and most consistent.

One could also argue that earlier tournaments make people look better than they are due to winning a bunch of MU against shitty players giving you multiple top 16s when you never had to play anyone (not about you in general)

When I first picked up the game I went with NW. Since he sucked I picked up Supes and Aqua as alts to play better versions of NW's stances.

Escrima ground spark 1 dash in = Supes laser 1 dash in
Escrima wing dings = Supes air sweep
Escrima pressure = Supes F23~breath pressure

Staff ground pound = Aqua from the deep
Staff long range normals = Aqua long range normals
Staff pressure = D1~trident rush

Supes and Aqua just had better versions of NW's stuff along with better mobility, D2's, etc.

Last edited:

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Fuzzy-guard, taken ROUGHLY from the definitions thread is quickly blocking one way then the other. Check the thread yourself.
I did say I'd post a video FUZZY GUARDING it consistently (which yes involves blocking I know) but I did not say I'd post a video that day. So what's the problem?
Because these "facts" you state about Nightwing are wrong. Saying he has no options when he does. If you mean something say literally what you mean, if he has no options in Escrima then say that because what am I supposed to think "he has no options" means?
I'm talking about the NWs in general that they say his plus frames are irrelevant (or something almost completely similar to those words).
This is the definition of a fuzzy-guard. http://www.option-select.com/strategy/article/?a=12#fuzzyguard
I didn't say there was any problem? You talk about us spreading wrong facts and then you say Batgirl's 50/50 vortex can be blocked consistently...
The hypocrisy is real...
I can't tell who you're talking to, me or Shazz because I've never said he has no options. Please specify. You keep paraphrasing what NWs in general supposedly say, but the ironic thing is that I've never said any of those things so clearly I'm not a downplayer?

What I am saying to everyone now is that you wrongly think that we downplay him to death when the truth is this: On paper Nightwing is amazing with plus frames everywhere, and a half-screen AA move with a huge hitbox, so when non-NW mains come in saying "oh ma gurrdd he's da bes characta eva!!11!!1" we bring them back down to Earth by telling them why he's not top tier. Other people come in now and say we're downplaying him because they think we're just shitting on our character when really we're just telling them why he isn't top tier. At no point have we ever said "NW's a shitter, bottom 5 for sure". We all know our character is good. He's not great, and he's not bad, he is good. If you people think that calling Nightwing good is downplaying him then pick him up and show us all how it's done.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
This is the definition of a fuzzy-guard. http://www.option-select.com/strategy/article/?a=12#fuzzyguard
I didn't say there was any problem? You talk about us spreading wrong facts and then you say Batgirl's 50/50 vortex can be blocked consistently...

I can't tell who you're talking to, me or Shazz because I've never said he has no options. Please specify. You keep paraphrasing what NWs in general supposedly say, but the ironic thing is that I've never said any of those things so clearly I'm not a downplayer?

What I am saying to everyone now is that you wrongly think that we downplay him to death when the truth is this: On paper Nightwing is amazing with plus frames everywhere, and a half-screen AA move with a huge hitbox, so when non-NW mains come in saying "oh ma gurrdd he's da bes characta eva!!11!!1" we bring them back down to Earth by telling them why he's not top tier. Other people come in now and say we're downplaying him because they think we're just shitting on our character when really we're just telling them why he isn't top tier. At no point have we ever said "NW's a shitter, bottom 5 for sure". We all know our character is good. He's not great, and he's not bad, he is good. If you people think that calling Nightwing good is downplaying him then pick him up and show us all how it's done.
There's a thread on TYM somewhere with definitions of fighting game terms, I can't find it but it has the definition there with something along the lines of "basically it's very quickly moving your blocking from high to low or low to high.
The 'you' was a general thing, I wasn't specifically talking to you. But I'll see if I can find the discussion we had a while back where someone said he has no options which isn't true and Batgirl's vortex can be blocked consistently if you move your blocking very quickly from low to high, but jeez you're hung up on that quite a bit aren't you? Haha

Noone says he's top tier, but you (in general) do downplay him by saying things like he has no options. It's not wrongly thinking you do, you actually do downplay (again, the you is a generalization of the NWs). You don't say he's good though, you criticize his options even if they're viable. That's downplaying.

I'll find the discussion and I'll get quotes, give me a couple of minutes.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
As a nightwing main for a day I can say I do think he is underrated imo he's not a great character but he's definitely not a crap character like a lot of people say he is

protools27

Rebel without a scene
There's a thread on TYM somewhere with definitions of fighting game terms, I can't find it but it has the definition there with something along the lines of "basically it's very quickly moving your blocking from high to low or low to high.
The 'you' was a general thing, I wasn't specifically talking to you. But I'll see if I can find the discussion we had a while back where someone said he has no options which isn't true and Batgirl's vortex can be blocked consistently if you move your blocking very quickly from low to high, but jeez you're hung up on that quite a bit aren't you? Haha

Noone says he's top tier, but you (in general) do downplay him by saying things like he has no options. It's not wrongly thinking you do, you actually do downplay (again, the you is a generalization of the NWs). You don't say he's good though, you criticize his options even if they're viable. That's downplaying.

I'll find the discussion and I'll get quotes, give me a couple of minutes.
Fuck making a video, I wanna see you play @SonicFox5000 and block the vortex "consistently"

HeroesNZ

For goodness sake Paul, read between the lines lmao. One, I'm pretty sure Shazz is one of the only people who said he has no options and even then, he's clearly exaggerating. It's really not that hard to see. Two, have you even read this thread? The NW players (who make up the NW community that you seem to keep referring to) generally say that he's good/solid. That's not downplaying. You seem to have some sort of vendetta against the NW community lol.
The NW community generally feels that he's a solid character.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
For goodness sake Paul, read between the lines lmao. One, I'm pretty sure Shazz is one of the only people who said he has no options and even then, he's clearly exaggerating. It's really not that hard to see. Two, have you even read this thread? The NW players (who make up the NW community that you seem to keep referring to) generally say that he's good/solid. That's not downplaying. You seem to have some sort of vendetta against the NW community lol.
The NW community generally feels that he's a solid character.
No don't "read between the lines" me, if you're going to say something say literally what you mean. No options and no options in Escrima are two different things.
You don't get what it is that makes you downplayers, it's not the saying if your character's good/solid or not, it's the fact you downplay his tools. What you're saying is like how people say I downplay Batgirl as if I say she's not good but I don't downplay because I've never said she's any worse than top 5.
Lol I don't have a vendetta, what? But you guys continually saying I said things that I didn't doesn't help -_-
I know this and I'm not arguing that you feel any different, read my posts.

Let's leave it at this, I know you think he's solid and clearly NW has the tools to do well in competition. The only reason I can come up with for him not placing is to do with the level/skill of the NW players, because if one can make 9th why can't the rest? I mean in your case you're in the UK and that's fair enough but what about the rest? Don't take that the wrong way though, I KNOW that most of the NWs are good having played some of them myself, but I just don't see why it doesn't happen in competition...

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
So uh, mkx Kano looked awesome. Hopefully they scratch Baraka and make a King Tarkatan, that would be dope. :cool:

HeroesNZ

No don't "read between the lines" me, if you're going to say something say literally what you mean. No options and no options in Escrima are two different things.
You don't get what it is that makes you downplayers, it's not the saying if your character's good/solid or not, it's the fact you downplay his tools.
You don't read my posts? It's all about perspective. If somebody came in here like "oh ma gurrdd Nightwing's ass !!11!!!11!" then they would think we're upplaying. If we had a chance to talk about how good his tools are we would, but we can't because we're always trying to convince people like you that he's not "da bes characta eva!!" (<- A clear exaggeration of course but I wouldn't want you to take it the wrong way)

Last edited:

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
There's nothing redeeming about the character at all. He has like 2 good matchups, a couple of 5-5s that are probably hard 5-5s for him, a bunch of losing matchups.

But he has the best ass in the DC universe and is the best looking male character in the game right?

But I feel bad for Damian Wayne players because he has absolutely nothing going for him #sorrynotsorry

Ive played a few rly solid NWs on PSN.
1 of them is chouG this guy pwnz all the good online players with NW.
last time Ive played chouG I got bodied 10-2 lol
cool guy with nice skillz