What's new

DO NOT REMOVE MK9 CHARACTERS FROM MK10 IN VS. MODE!!!

Would you want all the MK9 characters to be playable and maybe updated in MK10's VS. MODE?

• Total voters

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I left Marvel loooooooong before folks realized what I did as an Iron Fist player...Doom missiles would over run every team format. Then came the tac infinites, broken Zero's and wave after wave of zoning setups like Morridoom and Zero doom. I played a pure footsie guy in that game and could tell it was time to leave early given Doom could interrupt a combo or lock you down all on one busted assist.

There are FAR more issues than Dr. Doom though. The jank ass hit boxes that have some of the most ridiculous utility in any fighting game ever going to teleporters like Vergil and Dante. The Sword loops, the unblockables, the snap in unblockables, X factor...Game goes to whoever has the most bullshit. Never have I seen a game so heavily loaded at the character select screen than Marvel.

It sucks too because I love 3 man assist based combat flow in a fighting game, but they just put too much ridiculous stuff in the game. TvC was a better game even with Marn's Zero and Giants.
Was Skull Girls any good? I hear that was 3 v 3

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Was Skull Girls any good? I hear that was 3 v 3
Skullgirls is amazing. I dream of Lab Zero somehow getting ahold of Marvel someday. No unblockables, infinite protection/loop protection system, play ANY team size vs ANY team size, choose any move you want as an assist sans grabs...game is amazing. Lab Zero even helped me while I was in college by doing portfolio reviews of my stuff and gave me animation tests. Those tests really helped me to improve my workflow and organization with my animator work.

The only 2 balanced fighters on the market are Skullgirls and Kof XIII.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I love the cast in the newer games. Quan Chi, Drahmin, they're tight. Same with Havok. I'd love to see them return.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I left Marvel loooooooong before folks realized what I did as an Iron Fist player...Doom missiles would over run every team format. Then came the tac infinites, broken Zero's and wave after wave of zoning setups like Morridoom and Zero doom. I played a pure footsie guy in that game and could tell it was time to leave early given Doom could interrupt a combo or lock you down all on one busted assist.

There are FAR more issues than Dr. Doom though. The jank ass hit boxes that have some of the most ridiculous utility in any fighting game ever going to teleporters like Vergil and Dante. The Sword loops, the unblockables, the snap in unblockables, X factor...Game goes to whoever has the most bullshit. Never have I seen a game so heavily loaded at the character select screen than Marvel.

It sucks too because I love 3 man assist based combat flow in a fighting game, but they just put too much ridiculous stuff in the game. Even though they dealt with the BS of Dark Phoenix, Divekick-erine, Armored assists, and the lack of OTG's that plagued vanilla all they did was make the game more broken with what they added to Ultimate. TvC was a better game even with Marn's Zero and Giants.
what are Tac infinites and what are snap in unblockables....trying to learn that game.

shaowebb

what are Tac infinites and what are snap in unblockables....trying to learn that game.
The way Team Aerial Combos work is that when you TAC and your character pops in their is no hit stun scaling while you are in the air...in other words if you could just stay in the air without landing you could bop a man forever and he'd never fall out unlike a normal air combo. Well as it turns out if you bust out an air move like Sentinel's air heavy right before you touch the ground and hold up afterwards there is a little jerk animation that happens when you jump that you dont see normally...what just happened is that the game caught the attack you threw out in the air connecting, but you jumped up before it caught on that you landed so it thinks you NEVER touched the ground. This means that once you get the timing down you can just hit these combos where you touch the ground while hitting a move right before you make contact so that you can pop back up and never let the combo end.

Amaterasu's is the easiest as its just hit H repeatedly. Some folks only have a TAC infinite depending on the direction they hit when they tried to tag in their partner for a team aerial combo. The whole thing is really bullshit though.

Snap in unblockable setups are basically someone setting up a combo that ends in a snap back to force in a character they want to kill. After the snap out they can call an assist to lock you down as you come in and some assists when paired with the right partner are unblockable and Touch of Death. You heard me...if they touch you once, they snap you out and hit the unblockable loop combo and when you die they do the same setup on your next two characters. Firebrand and Skrull are notorious for this...its part of the reason why so many folks started exploring the idea of making insane full screen zoning teams. If you want a solid starter team go with Zero/Dr. Doom/Vergil in that order. You have sougenmu +Doom bullet hell, Xfactor 3 Vergil as an anchor and Doom to lock folks down and do a ton of TAC infinites and loops with. Go ham...its all thats left.

This is why I dont think tag team matches in MK10 is something we should hope they emphasize improving. Its really hard to balance those games and its hard enough balancing normal MK.
If NRS wants to do tag matches and focus on balance then it would pretty much have to be its own game entirely and would need its own kind of tools and system of checks and balances to keep loops, infinites, damage, and scaling consistent with such a type of action. Its definitely its own beast to make a tag game with assists and it takes a LOT to balance the meta.

Really hope to see me some Tonya though. Im betting all the old crew returns though but under command of Quan Chi.

Axel_Redd

The way Team Aerial Combos work is that when you TAC and your character pops in their is no hit stun scaling while you are in the air...in other words if you could just in the air without landing you could bop a man forever and he'd never fall out unlike a normal air combo. Well as it turns out if you bust out an air move like Sentinel's air heavy right before you touch the ground and hold up afterwards there is a little jerk animation that happens when you jump that you dont see normally...what just happened is that the game caught the attack you threw out in the air connecting, but you jumped up before it caught on that you landed so it thinks you NEVER touched the ground. This means that once you get the timing down you can just hit these combos where you touch the ground while hitting a move right before you make contact so that you can pop back up and never let the combo end.

Amaterasu's is the easiest as its just hit H repeatedly. Some folks only have a TAC infinite depending on the direction they hit when they tried to tag in their partner for a team aerial combo. The whole thing is really bullshit though.

Snap in unblockable setups are basically someone setting up a combo that ends in a snap back to force in a character they want to kill. After the snap out they can call an assist to lock you down as you come in and some assists when paired with the right partner are unblockable and Touch of Death. You heard me...if they touch you once, they snap you out and hit the unblockable loop combo and when you die they do the same setup on your next two characters. Firebrand and Skrull are notorious for this...its part of the reason why so many folks started exploring the idea of making insane full screen zoning teams. If you want a solid starter team go with Zero/Dr. Doom/Vergil in that order. You have sougenmu +Doom bullet hell, Xfactor 3 Vergil as an anchor and Doom to lock folks down and do a ton of TAC infinites and loops with. Go ham...its all thats left.

This is why I dont think tag team matches in MK10 is something we should hope they emphasize improving. Its really hard to balance those games and its hard enough balancing normal MK. Really hope to see me some Tonya though. Im betting all the old crew returns though but under command of Quan Chi.
i watched the vid and i still don't follow, does it absolutely require a tag in to do an infinite like that? u don't have to keep taggin in right?

shaowebb

i watched the vid and i still don't follow, does it absolutely require a tag in to do the tac infinite? u don't have to keep taggin in right?
Nope. Just tag in once. If it never reads the tagged in character as having landed it never scales the stun on the attacks that character does. Simply do an air combo, tac and do the rest of the combo as your tagged in guy only make sure to time right before you land one last hit so that it doesn't register you landing. That way you can just hold up and youll jump back into the air combo with no scaling so the opponent never falls out. What makes it tricky is :

1)You have to have your character TAC in at an altitude that places them low enough on the opponent that he wont potentially fall to the ground before you can perform the trick.
2)You have to figure out what attacks your character can do in the air that lift the opponent up and figure out what order to throw them in so that you have the opponent high enough that once you hit the ground and do the trick you can jump back up and not drop the combo.

Some folks are harder than others to land these with do to their attack hitboxes and such, but I believe the whole cast has TAC infinites now.

This is why I decided that if that crowd was claiming they were more balanced than MK9 then maybe it was time for me to take that with a grain of salt, try the series, and make up my own mind.

Glad I did...game is fucking awesome. Its got its balance problems, but I still find it more "fair" than current day UMVC3. Can't wait to try out MK10 and be there at the start of this ride this time around.

Axel_Redd

Nope. Just tag in once. If it never reads the tagged in character as having landed it never scales the stun on the attacks that character does. Simply do an air combo, tac and do the rest of the combo as your tagged in guy only make sure to time right before you land one last hit so that it doesn't register you landing. That way you can just hold up and youll jump back into the air combo with no scaling so the opponent never falls out. What makes it tricky is :

1)You have to have your character TAC in at an altitude that places them low enough on the opponent that he wont potentially fall to the ground before you can perform the trick.
2)You have to figure out what attacks your character can do in the air that lift the opponent up and figure out what order to throw them in so that you have the opponent high enough that once you hit the ground and do the trick you can jump back up and not drop the combo.

Some folks are harder than others to land these with do to their attack hitboxes and such, but I believe the whole cast has TAC infinites now.

This is why I decided that if that crowd was claiming they were more balanced than MK9 then maybe it was time for me to take that with a grain of salt, try the series, and make up my own mind.

Glad I did...game is fucking awesome. Its got its balance problems, but I still find it more "fair" than current day UMVC3. Can't wait to try out MK10 and be there at the start of this ride this time around.
k, im just looking to expand my horizons as far as fighting games are concerned.

btw, the team ive been favoring is Wesker/Vergil/Strider

shaowebb

I just want Johnny Cage and Kung Lao back, I think I'm save lol also Havik for MK10.
I see no way they could make MK without Kung Lao, Jax, Liu Kang, and all the rest of the mainstays that got croaked in MK9. It just wouldn't be MK.

trufenix

bye felicia
You really have to stop throwing that blanket statement out because it really paints those games in a way more positive light than they deserve. Its not like either of those two just launched perfectly, they both required attention from their devs and their players to become the game they are today.

shaowebb

You really have to stop throwing that blanket statement out because it really paints those games in a way more positive light than they deserve. Its not like either of those two just launched perfectly, they both required attention from their devs and their players to become the game they are today.
Agreed. Its not just the systems in those 2 games that keep them balanced, but how the characters were fine tuned and treated. KOF XIII is the culmination of tools they've been tuning since 11 and 12 was a very big part of creating 13. Adding things like any hit after 16 does minimal damage and the windows on cancels and HD combo stuff was their compromise to allowing hype complex combos to exist without breaking the game...they made them something that was essentially done on a timer as the HD gauge blows out before certain combos could be completed...takes work to figure out stuff with that tool. Its a lot of tweaking there to insure meter gain, damage on moves, recovery, and all that stun data was setup in a way to provide a balanced game.

Skullgirls, even though it has all the protection systems, requires a phenomenal amount of meta game attention as any move can be selected as an assist to augment a character's setups. This means every single new move added has to be weighed in with the aspect of coupling it with all the other moves in that game. Granted the no unblockables and infinites alleviates much of this meta work but by no means even close to all of the work needed to balance a character. Throw in the high potential for resets maneuvering around your protection systems and you have a very complex meta indeed.I just use the blanket statement as its easier than just laying out all the stuff that went into those games.

Im just hoping MK 10 gets announced early 2014 after the holidays are over so we can see some roster teasers again. Do you think they'll change all the old fatalities from MK9 in MK 10 on returning cast?

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Skullgirls is amazing. I dream of Lab Zero somehow getting ahold of Marvel someday. No unblockables, infinite protection/loop protection system, play ANY team size vs ANY team size, choose any move you want as an assist sans grabs...game is amazing. Lab Zero even helped me while I was in college by doing portfolio reviews of my stuff and gave me animation tests. Those tests really helped me to improve my workflow and organization with my animator work.

Ms Fortune had unblockables before the patch.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
I see no way they could make MK without Kung Lao, Jax, Liu Kang, and all the rest of the mainstays that got croaked in MK9. It just wouldn't be MK.
Yea that's why I think I'm safe with Lao and Cage I don't see any reason why NRS wouldn't find a way to bring back the huge names. And Cage didn't die so there's that lol.