What's new

Question Do Asian players play MK games competivly?

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
I'm Asian and I play the game seriously to an extent. the only thing is I don't have the time to play at tournaments and locals and it's hard to find tournaments around in Vancouver

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
They have the similar mindset of most of the japanese players I think. I think a large majority of japanese players like to get wins by learning a games system and mechanics...and they let that win the matches for them. Thats why virtua fighter is so popular in japan.

I don't think they like mechanics that don't make sense or short cuts to winning(OP moves/characters,+ on frame launchers, jailing etc). Reo kinda confirmed what I thought when he mentioned Gamberbee's failed attempt to get into it, also someone mentioned Infiltration said he couldn't take it seriously.
Most of this is probably true. The violence probably doesn't appeal to them as much as it does to other countries. I do remember seeing some Singaporean, Malaysian and Indonesian players streaming Injustice for quite a while after it's release. There was a really good Scorpion player and a Lobo player out there.

MK9 was never officially released in Japan AFAIK.

Aramonde

Noob
Once upon a time, gamerbee wanted to learn MKX.. Yahh boii was playing with him, teaching him how poke meta works etc etc. During this session i realized how stupid this game must sound to him as i explain virtually everything was fuckin plus and he has to hold that shit. Afterwards i'm pretty sure he deleted the game wondering "why ever-y-ting so plahss"

-The end
Everything is plus? For me its the opposite. Almost everything in SF5 feels safe.

Fun fact:

Last year at EVO I had to defeat a japanese ermac player in winners finals of the pool in order to advance (2-1 IIRC). He bodied everyone else in the pool though. The scene that they have in Japan for MK is an underground scene called "Team Osh-Teks". They had the matching jerseys and everything last year. They told me that MK is till technically banned over there (as far as them selling it on the homeland is concerned) but there are plenty of people that actually do play the game and have a passion for it. They just can't travel as much as they'd like since it isn't supported as much as the other fighers obviously.

After playing these guys myself, I can say this much: If they had the support for the game in Japan like we do here, We'd be seeing one hell of a diverse tournament setting for this game at the championship level (A la Tekken Master from Bahrain good). Such a shame that's not the case.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Fun fact:

Last year at EVO I had to defeat a japanese ermac player in winners finals of the pool in order to advance (2-1 IIRC). He bodied everyone else in the pool though. The scene that they have in Japan for MK is an underground scene called "Team Osh-Teks". They had the matching jerseys and everything last year. They told me that MK is till technically banned over there (as far as them selling it on the homeland is concerned) but there are plenty of people that actually do play the game and have a passion for it. They just can't travel as much as they'd like since it isn't supported as much as the other fighers obviously.

After playing these guys myself, I can say this much: If they had the support for the game in Japan like we do here, We'd be seeing one hell of a diverse tournament setting for this game at the championship level (A la Tekken Master from Bahrain good). Such a shame that's not the case.
I wonder what we can do to support these guys? Do we know of any japanese/asian players on this forum?

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
I'm korean and I'm the freest fucking person on the planet

What tf is this thread..
While I'll thank you for your insight on your race & fighting game skill, my post was merely asking the question of how can we support are brothers- in-arms overseas, who seemed to find a interest in Netherrealm Studio games.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
I think I found another one too (?)

Cool to see we have current player in the land of The Rising Sun :D

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Mk scene is alive and well here in the philippines ever since mk9 and injustice, in fact our representative won the mkx asia pacific tournament last year (beating out guys from singapore and australia to get an all expense paid trip to evo) and eventually placing top 50 at evo, i can say that we really have good players here, but not much visibility because of our shitty internet of poverty speeds here.. But i can certainly tell you one thing, there are hidden japanese monsters out there that i can honestly think give the us top players a run for their money, guys like sar1125? Tanhiro, viva, rh fatality, vl trasher, and a korean guy named zaphie, no joke these asian online players are so good i can't even move, they can jail you forever and they have godlike reactions, ive played with tom brady and really good us / australian players online and i can still keep up with them, but these dudes are just silent monsters online, but yeah maybe they know for the fact that how this game is ridiculously made thats why they dont take it seriously hahaha

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Here are some of our tournament footage

MKX Asia Pacific 2015 Grand Finals held in Southeast Asia Majors in Thailand June 2015

MKX Imperium Manila Cup, Sep 5 2015

MKX ESGS Tournament in Manila, October 25 2015

MKX Imperium Mancave in Manila, July 23 2016

Our most recent tournament, MKX Playbook, Manila July 30 2016