What's new

Question Do Asian players play MK games competivly?

dc1902

Noob
When I use to look at mk9 vids online,and also now with MKXL I noticed that there were no japanese players in any of the tournaments in the U.S. Also I coudn't find any vids of japanese players even playing it in Japan. Whats up ?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Maybe they support Japanese games like King of Fighters? BTW, I remember seeing ONE Japanese person in the last EVO in the brackets.

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
i remember Infiltration talking about MK on his stream (back in USF4), he said that he couldn't take the game serious (can't remember why), maybe he was trolling, but i don't know, i think Asians in general don't play western games (especially fighters)

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
i remember Infiltration talking about MK on his stream (back in USF4), he said that he couldn't take the game serious (can't remember why), maybe he was trolling, but i don't know, i think Asians in general don't play western games (especially fighters)
infiltration is not a fan of all the gore and over the top violence. I assume its the same for alot of asian players, the crazy violence has much more appeal to an american audience.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Once upon a time, gamerbee wanted to learn MKX.. Yahh boii was playing with him, teaching him how poke meta works etc etc. During this session i realized how stupid this game must sound to him as i explain virtually everything was fuckin plus and he has to hold that shit. Afterwards i'm pretty sure he deleted the game wondering "why ever-y-ting so plahss"

-The end

Real talk in my opinion a lot of the mechanics in this game are literally braindead flow chart, nothing can stop you, no thought in the mixup, cuz guarantee'd. They really messed up with the balancing of poking data / Armor answer for everything / and massive ammounts of jailing or plus frames

woulda been nice to have Overseas players in our game. Could you imagine lookin up your pool and being like "OH SHIT i got daigo / sako etc".. Woulda been so hype oh well :(

REO

Undead
GamerBee tried the game seriously for a month when he was streaming. So did others. IIRC, GamerBee's main confusion is that he didn't understand "why are some things that plus" (like combo starting launchers) or the lack of anti-airs.

He played Erron Black and didn't understand how the character didn't have an anti-air.

GamerBee tried the game seriously for a month when he was streaming. So did others. IIRC, GamerBee's main confusion is that he didn't understand "why are some things that plus" (like combo starting launchers) or the lack of anti-airs.

He played Erron Black and didn't understand how the character didn't have an anti-air.
Was this when the game was released?

I think I caught that stream. I think he said the game was too violent and wasn't interested in it.

Last edited:
I think I remember a YouTube vid posted on Eventhubs some time ago of a blind gamer playing one of the 3D MKs and he was playing Japanese opponents who seemed to know what the were doing. If I find the vid I'll post it here (after work).

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Tokido entered MK9 at Final Round XV but after seeing the level of competition, he opted out.

I'm pretty sure there is a scene in Japan and if MKX is at Evo Japan, we might see some shit we've never seen before!

Western games are not popular in Japan. In Japanese game stores, they are generally grouped in their own section as foreign games. It's really only certain titles that break through and become popular that are American/European made.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I think I remember a YouTube vid posted on Eventhubs some time ago of a blind gamer playing one of the 3D MKs and he was playing Japanese opponents who seemed to know what the were doing. If I find the vid I'll post it here (after work).
Speaking of blind gamers, I felt upon this.

This dude was so good with Kung Lao. I can't make which variation he used. Read the description for more infos.

If you guys find this dude, ask him to play against Sonicfox or anyone else.

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
They don't really play American or Western games in general that much, just compare MK, Halo, GTA, COD etc games like this in Japan both sales wise and playing wise compared to the rest of the world. I appreciate their contributions to the gaming legacy over the years but they seem like a country that doesn't like going outside of their comfort zone with games/other cultures, styles etc I've noticed.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Japanese people have their own pride and don't want to use product made by other countries
I'm serious. I'm from Vietnam, there are many Japanese in my country. I met and asked some of them related questions and that's my conclusion about them.

dc1902

Noob
Gamerbee and Infiltration are not even Japanese :rolleyes:
They have the similar mindset of most of the japanese players I think. I think a large majority of japanese players like to get wins by learning a games system and mechanics...and they let that win the matches for them. Thats why virtua fighter is so popular in japan.

I don't think they like mechanics that don't make sense or short cuts to winning(OP moves/characters,+ on frame launchers, jailing etc). Reo kinda confirmed what I thought when he mentioned Gamberbee's failed attempt to get into it, also someone mentioned Infiltration said he couldn't take it seriously.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Yeah the Japanese are always in my pool for some reason at EVO and I always beat them. I have them on PSN. There's very little NRS presence but at least they travel more than 90% of the people in this website ayyyyy lmao

Last edited:

vicious1024

Does it matter?
Tokido and a few other notable asian players have tried their hands at MK titles, but most dropped the game early on.

Tokido had issues with the way the game was being balanced, also stating that the game's Japanese scene wasn't very large.