Votes: 7 20.6%
  • i dont care either way.

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobo

woof.
yeah i was gonna use ermac as a secondary but i couldn't figure out how to NOT do negative edge lol. it isn't normal at all. i can't even explain it...like i was getting random air blasts left and right while trying to learn combos. the negative edge on this game is horrible. i don't like the idea of simplifying things for people in the first place.

Jesus christ, yes. Getting super annoying, espcially when I'm playing somebody like sindel. I have to input 111 extremely fast then wait 1 second to do the next move or a fireball comes out, lol.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I kinda pisses me off when I play and 10% of the time I do a noob bnb and a portal comes out instead of raising knee....

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think it should be removed completely, I can't see how anyone benefits from it.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I voted to remove it completely. I play on an arcade stick and it doesnt seem to bother me. But it appears to be murder for pad players. Last weekend Reo,Tom Brady and I got together for some casuals and Reo was saying the whole time the negative edge was killing him. It just seems to make the most random shit happen at the most inopportune times.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I voted to remove it completely. I play on an arcade stick and it doesnt seem to bother me. But it appears to be murder for pad players. Last weekend Reo,Tom Brady and I got together for some casuals and Reo was saying the whole time the negative edge was killing him. It just seems to make the most random shit happen at the most inopportune times.
i use sticks as well. so its a problem on both stick and pad..

oZii

Noob

I use stick so maybe that is why it doesn't bother me since its worse for the pad guys.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
With the way it is now, say you want to do Cyrax's airthrow, which is :d:r:fp. You can do :fp:d:r and it will still work as the airthrow. Kinda silly and it will hinder players at random times during a match.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Well I guess since a lot of you are having trouble with it I'd say it has to go, though I still haven't had problems with it myself.

i use sticks as well. so its a problem on both stick and pad..
I wouldn't mind seeing it go I thought this was only a problem with online but it seems to be problem offline too. I actually dropped Nightwolf because of this fact. You just gotta be on point every time and make sure the move is over before you do the next because of negative edge. But at the same time since this is problem for offline play too then I sure as hell wouldn't mind seeing it go. I picked up Sindel because of you so I definitely know where you coming from in your first post. I just had the sticks removed from PS2 Dual Shock to improve my game so seeing negative edge go should improve my game bit more too.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
The negative edge is helped me cheat with canceling Jump kicks lol. I just jump kick with the proper button. 3 for Scorpion and then DB of course :) or 4 for Ermac or Sektor.

I'm on pad btw. As far as its removal, it has frustrated me quite frequently, but I'm not sure it needs to be removed entirely. All they need to do is tighten the timing window for it and that'll solve the problem. As of right now I'll agree that it is far to lenient and that leads to random shit occuring. I've tried to do a spin with Kung Lao and I've had a hat come out and I didn't even press B,F lol.

I understand the whole reason it was implemented, and I can accept that. It isn't entirely troublesome, and it could fare a lot better so everyone will be happy if NRS would just tweak the frames allowed for the input. They make them tougher to do and the random accidents will subside, but the casuals and people that use them to make canceling easier on pad -looks around suspiciously- :) Me ;). Can continue to do it. That way no one really gets alienated. Of course if they remove it I won't really be affected by it. I'll just have to tap the face button a second time. Can do.

Anyway, in conclusion I understand why it was implemented and it is indeed a very neat idea to make the combat system less intimidating, and I'll admit I do use it to make jump kick cancels easier because they are fucking hell on a pad (unless its into a dive kick (Kung Lao, Sonya, Cyber SZ etc..)). While it was an interesting idea for this game, it just wasn't done properly. The timing window is far to amenable. If they compress the input time then they can solve the issue without having to actually go to the trouble of removing it completely.

Btw, nice thread Dan.

I'd like it to stay in, but a smaller window of effect. I've had my fair share of the same frustration, but characters that don't have overlapping modes feels real good...

DrDogg

Noob
It's absolutely terrible for a vast majority of the characters I play. It makes combos unnecessarily difficult. However, I would like to see an option to turn it off in the preset instead of it being removed completely. It does benefit some characters.

If there's no way to make an option then it needs to be removed completely. It makes me not want to play the game.

I think it should be removed completely, I can't see how anyone benefits from it.
Jax does... but he's bottom tier anyway. >_>

Negative edge in SSF4 was great though. And it was actually useful for tiger knee moves and cancelling specials/buffering ultras etc.

I wish the negative edge of MK9 was like that. I don't think they should "completely" remove negative edge, just reduce it greatly so that it never screws up normal inputs.

You know, I still would like to be able to do stuff like: D+4 (hold), B, F, release and have my BF4 special come out.

GStick

Noob
Negative Edge doesn't even need a timing window. What Netherrealm should do instead, is check for a button release at the end of the motion.

Hypothetical attack:
D, F, (press) FP - should work like normal
D, F + (release) FP - negative edge

But there would be no timing window. So the game should only care if you release the button at the end of the motion. If you didn't, too bad. There's no need for an actual "negative edge window"... This would basically make it a 1 frame window or whatever anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.