What's new

Deep Thinking the Current State of Mortal Kombat and it's Future.

ZBirdV8

Flocker
My posts are often written in a stream of conscience, and I am usually not trying very hard to be taken seriously. However, this is one of the rare instances where I am dead serious. I haven't posted in over a year, because 2021 was a year in which I experienced several life changing events and epiphanies. I really wanted to say something of weight about the current state of Mortal Kombat but I wanted to wait and spend time organizing my thoughts to make sure that it was well articulated and void of any knee-jerk reactions or hot takes. With that being said, I sincerely appreciate your time and thoughts regardless of whether or not your own opinions agree or disagree with the ones presented here.

The Current State of Mortal Kombat in my opinion is that of bland mediocrity. Mortal Kombat 11 was mostly balanced, but at the expense of character depth and player autonomy. Rock Paper Scissors is a balanced game too, but it's not wowing anyone in the 2020's if it ever did. The same goes for the movie, it wasn't a bad movie in the way that Armageddon was, but it also wasn't outstanding in anyway. It simply existed. It was a 5/10 game and a a 5/10 movie, and the problem with that is that it's not bad nor good enough to be looked back on fondly. This is the worst situation for a piece of media to be in, and doubly so for a brand that was built on it's extreme reputation. I think this is where we are right now. These were solid products, but nothing that will be fondly remembered. 10 years from now you aren't going to get a random urge to go back and play Mortal Kombat 11 or to watch the movie again.

I feel that Mortal Kombat is at a vital crossroads right now, and needs to choose a path between doubling down on extremity or trying to be a down to earth game. Personally I would love to see an absolutely insane Mortal Kombat game with absurdly violent fatalities, ridiculously sexualized female characters again, and the return of silly stuff like Animalities, Babalities, Friendships, etc., but I also realize that I am a product of a time that has passed. I grew up on Attitude Era WWE, the comedy stylings of Andrew Dice Clay and Sam Kinnison, I witnessed the birth of extreme heavy metal, Mortal Kombat, Doom, and South Park was peak humor, Howard Stern was a major radio personality, you get the idea. It was a time where every form of media was pushing it's envelope in terms of what media was allowed to depict and what audiences were allowed to hear and see. I have nostalgia for the that time and an old man's urge to return to it. I would love to see an over-the-top Mortal Kombat game.

Yet I also realize that time has passed. That sentiment is completely out of touch with the current world's attitudes and the socio-political landscape we currently live in. So while I would love it, most people wouldn't, and to be honest there is only so much that can be done with sex and violence. It's like James Hetfield said when interviewed about Metallica's change from thrash heavy metal into a more radio friendly direction "You can only play louder, faster, and harder so long before it's no longer taken seriously."

This brings us finally to my vision for the future of Mortal Kombat; a grounded, realistic and gritty game that plays to it's strength. You may be asking "What is that strength?" to which I would reply "the strength of Mortal Kombat is the lore-the characters and the universe they live in."

I would start with a hard an strict reboot. I know we've already done that but I really do feel that the time travel gimmick has overstayed it's welcome, become cumbersome, and has major inherent issues-what really are the stakes when someone can simply rewind anything that goes wrong? I would be rebooting with the idea of real stakes, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's just lay out the plan.

My Mortal Kombat Game:
The opening is a black screen, then "Techno Syndrome" by the Immortals starts playing as the original simple black and red dragon logo spins to toward the screen. It lands face up on the screen, and then "Press Start" appears across the Screen. This sets the tone for the no-frills, gritty and realistic game that is about to unfurl-we aren't f'n around here. You push start, and are taken to the menu screen [VS CPU, VS HUMAN, VS ONLINE, OPTIONS]. That's it's it- you bought Mortal Kombat we are here to fight. Gone is are all the wacky modes and krypt junk. It's a very old-school presentation, very clean. VS HUMAN, VS ONLINE, and OPTIONS, are self explanatory. VS, CPU is where the lore is. The character select menu consists of the original 7 MK characters. That's right, 7, but we are going for quality not quantity here.
After choosing your character you play through a story tutorial where you learn how to fight as that character. For example Liu Kang would be a Shao Lin Monk practicing with another monk, Sonya would be in academy at special ops, Kano would be brawling in some seedy underground cage fight, etc). After learning how to fight you would play through a story of what happens with that character prior to the tournament-Scorpion and Sub-Zero's Clan beef, Sonya and Kano's story involving her partner etc. These would incorporate some of the ideas of the spin-off games like Shao Lin Monks, and what Mythologies and Special Ops should have been. Imagine playing a journey as Liu Kang where to complete his Shao Lin training he has to go through a Shao Lin obstacle course, or imagine an FPS section as Sonya where she has to take down black dragon cartel members-this is where the game could genre-break, but all these little side story's end with the character receiving their invitation to the tournament. Then for the first time we get what MK has always promised but never actually delivered: An actual tournament. Depending on your character choice the tournament would play out in different ways with cutscenes explaining what happened in each fight, and with some dialogue at least between your character and the opponent. Then of course the boss battles and your characters ending.
As far as the kombat; we are going back to just 7 characters because these characters will be extremely deep like Tekken, Virtua Fighter, or Guilty Gear levels of deep. When you play as one of these characters they are going to feel very much like they have different fighting styles. Sonya will play like Sonya, and carry over from her will be minimal. This would allow players to become true masters of their characters, such that the gap between beginner, intermediate, and expert Sonya players would be more observable, and more importantly two expert Sonya players would still look different from one another. The small roster would ideally allow for easier debugging and balancing. It would also lead to faster, more numerous, and more satisfying download content as the game went along. I would also opt for more realistic specials and fatalities-if a character has a gun they have a limited number of bullets, if a character shoots energy balls they have a limited amount of energy, etc. Fatalities would be very quick, realistic, and not terribly over the top-things like Sonya snapping necks with her legs, Liu Kang delivering a fatal one-inch punch, Kano quickly and savagely slitting the throat of his enemy, etc. gruesome realistic swift kills befitting of martial artists.

That's my pitch. Let me know if I can elaborate on anything. Cheers.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Seems very minimalistic. Not sure it would be that well received. Have a lot fewer character reveal videos though.

ZBirdV8

Flocker
Seems very minimalistic. Not sure it would be that well received. Have a lot fewer character reveal videos though.
It would be minimalistic by choice. The idea is to make the fighting itself the star of the show-instead of archetypes like MK11 went for I want complete characters that can zone, grapple, mix up, etc all in one-to the point where we aren't describing them archetypically, but rather by name.

I want to move from "Jax is a grappler" to "Jax is Jax."

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
It would be minimalistic by choice. The idea is to make the fighting itself the star of the show-instead of archetypes like MK11 went for I want complete characters that can zone, grapple, mix up, etc all in one.
That's going to be a hard sell to make to financers though.

MK9, MKX, and MK11 have all sold exceptionally well, especially MK11. MK11 had highly favorable critical reviews, and before COVID shut everything down it had a very lively competitive scene. The MK11 Model has been a hugely successful model for WB and NRS. I don't think they're going to abandon that model anytime soon.

I appreciate the type of game you'd like to see, but I think that would work better as an indy project, not a AAA studio game.

ZBirdV8

Flocker
That's going to be a hard sell to make to financers though.

MK9, MKX, and MK11 have all sold exceptionally well, especially MK11. MK11 had highly favorable critical reviews, and before COVID shut everything down it had a very lively competitive scene. The MK11 Model has been a hugely successful model for WB and NRS. I don't think they're going to abandon that model anytime soon.

I appreciate the type of game you'd like to see, but I think that would work better as an indy project, not a AAA studio game.
Tell the financers there will be LOTS of DLC if you start as minimalistic as I described, there is then more room to expand. The amount of characters, costumes, etc. could be infinite.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Personally I would love to see an absolutely insane Mortal Kombat game with absurdly violent fatalities, ridiculously sexualized female characters again, and the return of silly stuff like Animalities, Babalities, Friendships, etc.
Honestly I would love this especially with games like DOOM (2016), Succubus (Steam), The Darkness, The Witcher, God of War, Dante’s Inferno, Manhunt & Cyberpunk 2077.

The character select menu consists of the original 7 MK characters. That's right, 7, but we are going for quality not quantity here.
I do like this idea but I think the Killer Instinct (2013) might be better as it’s similar but adds growth.

Killer Instinct on release had 8 characters (7 returning & 1 new) with not many frills. Then Season 2 they released a new character one at a time (4 returning & 5 new) & did the same thing again for Season 3 (2 returning, 2 returning bosses, 3 guest characters & 4 new). At the end they had 29 characters & because they took their time every single character was filled to the brim with depth & complexity. They didn’t start adding new modes like Shadow Lords & Shadow Lab until much later.

ZBirdV8

Flocker
Honestly I would love this especially with games like DOOM (2016), Succubus (Steam), The Darkness, The Witcher, God of War, Dante’s Inferno, Manhunt & Cyberpunk 2077.

I do like this idea but I think the Killer Instinct (2013) might be better as it’s similar but adds growth.

Killer Instinct on release had 8 characters (7 returning & 1 new) with not many frills. Then Season 2 they released a new character one at a time (4 returning & 5 new) & did the same thing again for Season 3 (2 returning, 2 returning bosses, 3 guest characters & 4 new). At the end they had 29 characters & because they took their time every single character was filled to the brim with depth & complexity. They didn’t start adding new modes like Shadow Lords & Shadow Lab until much later.
I can dig that, and I didn't have an XBOX (sony guy) but from what I understand that KI game was very well recieved.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Interesting idea, never going to happen though. There’s absolutely no universe where NRS makes a new MK game with only 7 characters in the modern era. Another thing that’s a must in the modern FG era is a complete and detailed training mode. There’s a lot more reasons but they’re technically reasons I’ve been over a hundred times so I’ll just leave you with this. If you really want a game like this, do what I do, beg for a re-release of UMK3 (or MKT) on all platforms with rollback netcode.

ZBirdV8

Flocker
Interesting idea, never going to happen though. There’s absolutely no universe where NRS makes a new MK game with only 7 characters in the modern era. Another thing that’s a must in the modern FG era is a complete and detailed training mode. There’s a lot more reasons but they’re technically reasons I’ve been over a hundred times so I’ll just leave you with this. If you really want a game like this, do what I do, beg for a re-release of UMK3 (or MKT) on all platforms with rollback netcode.
You could make it with more than 7 characters, and as far as the training mode I'm just suggesting giving that a little more flavor-it's the same as the current training mode, just with a backdrop for why I am training and how I am training. Something beyond "here is the input-repeat this input-good job".
In all honestly NRS has lost me. I'm still invested enough to watch for the next MK game and see what happens with it, but I won't be lined up outside of gamestop early to pick up my collectors edition of MK12. Those days are gone. I discovered Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 a while back on sale, and it changed the way I look at fighting games. My desire to compete and more directly my desire to deal with the toxic nature of competition is at a low. I'm more interested in the future of co-operative gaming. but that's a side note here. MK is something I still care about but it's less nostalgia and more stockholm syndrome at this point.

Espio

Kokomo
Even if they were to drastically reduce the roster, I think 14 would be the most sweet spot. 7 is almost too minimalistic. If you were gonna go the MK1 route I would make Shang, Goro and at least Reptile playable to bring it to 10 at the very least.

Additionally, having characters be able to do everything is homogenization too. Everyone zoning and grappling as the examples you mentioned will inherently make these things feel less unique and distinct there's little to no way around that and would become increasingly apparent with a smaller roster. Characters SHOULD have distinct archetypes and playstyles...that is what makes them stand out as distinct in fighting games overall.

Tell the financers there will be LOTS of DLC if you start as minimalistic as I described, there is then more room to expand. The amount of characters, costumes, etc. could be infinite.
So we can spend MORE money for the game? If we are going with a smaller roster than the DLC pool should not be more than the starting roster over the life of the game....that's a big mistake and not what anyone should want is having to pay for more incomplete games with reduced content. That sounds like a bad idea.

I like the spirit of having a smaller roster, but too many people get left out with seven including people that have become essentially staple as well like Kitana, Jax, Kung Lao etc and I don't feel like those type of characters should ever have to be DLC in any game., they should just be there.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You could make it with more than 7 characters, and as far as the training mode I'm just suggesting giving that a little more flavor-it's the same as the current training mode, just with a backdrop for why I am training and how I am training. Something beyond "here is the input-repeat this input-good job".
In all honestly NRS has lost me. I'm still invested enough to watch for the next MK game and see what happens with it, but I won't be lined up outside of gamestop early to pick up my collectors edition of MK12. Those days are gone. I discovered Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 a while back on sale, and it changed the way I look at fighting games. My desire to compete and more directly my desire to deal with the toxic nature of competition is at a low. I'm more interested in the future of co-operative gaming. but that's a side note here. MK is something I still care about but it's less nostalgia and more stockholm syndrome at this point.
MK11’s training mode was great after the updates to it. There’s a couple things I think could make the training mode better, but for me, it’d be weird things like being able to slow down time a little bit just to help see exactly what is happening in certain situations. Or just some QoL improvements here and there.

Aside from that, I too have given up truly competing in MK or NRS games. I’ll still play competitively online, well, as competitive as you can really be in an online environment, and maybe go to tournaments occasionally. But tbh I don’t see the point in grinding 8hrs+ a day to become a “top player”. The “payoff” isn’t worth the time investment. The only way that would be beneficial is if I was a content creator. And I’d mainly just use tournaments to help with exposure, marketing and social networking. It’s insanely difficult to become a top 20 player, let alone a top 8 player. And ultra difficult to become a top 3 player, and just about impossible to be able to be one of the best players that are capable of actually winning majors. I say “just about impossible” because not only would I have to spend a ridiculous amount of time grinding (as I said, anywhere from 6-8hrs a day), the top of the top are in a much more privileged position than I am. They essentially can devote as much time as they want to the game, because for the best of the best, for most of them it’s either their main job or at least a secondary job. And like I said, being a content creator helps out with all of it, A LOT. Not even mentioning the fact that I’d be having to compete with freaks of nature like SonicFox and NinjaKilla. Both of them are absolutely ridiculous at modern day MK games, like, far and away above the rest. So after you factor everything else in, I’d pretty much be fighting for, at best, 3rd place. And it’s not like SF and NK are the only killers out there.

Anyway, I’ve put a lot of time into thinking about this. Because I love competing, I’m an insanely competitive person. I love fighting games, and I love MK and NRS games. But the deciding factor for me is that the only way I’d ever even be willing to put all that time and dedication I would need into a game in order to actually be able to come close to competing to make top 8 at majors, is if I absolutely LOVE the game.

This is how & why I was able to become great at Halo 2, CoD4, Gears of War, (even Dark Souls and Soulsborne PvP, which counts), and more closer to the topic, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (UMK3). I mean, I do really well for myself early in fighting games lives when I’m super interested in them and at the time really want to grind and become great at the game. I’ve done it with SF4, MvC3, SFxT, MK9, Injustice, DBFZ, MKX, Injustice 2, and MK11. I got surprisingly good at these games early on. But in every single game, 1 of 2 things always happens. Either 1, I start to realize the more I play it, the more I’m not a fan of the competitive meta. So much so that I no longer have fun or feel any satisfaction from winning. Or 2, the game changes via balance patches, either my characters or the game itself, usually completely unwarranted, and it obliterates my interest in the game almost completely. Because I realize the most likely direction the game will head, and I usually end up being right.

ANYWAY, sorry for rambling and kinda going off-topic on a tangent there. My ultimate point was that I finally realized that I DON’T have to try to become a top player in order to enjoy a fighting game. I don’t have to stress about tournaments and truly competing. I can just play and have fun. I still can be competitive and try to get good, but I don’t have to worry about trying to spend as much time as I can with the game training. I don’t have to feel like I’m “wasting time” when I have free time and I’m not dedicating it to the game in some way. Plus I’ve realized a lot about fighting games these days and the fact that they’re NEVER going to make the type of game I’m going to love. It’s as close to impossible as you can get without it actually being impossible, just astronomically improbable. So, I said “fuck it, I’m just going to play and have fun my way”, and so far, it had been working out.

If anyone actually read through all of this, massive respect and I appreciate it. I know there just HAS to be at least someone out there who feels similarly to how I do. And hopefully what I wrote here helps you in some way. Maybe you haven’t come to the same realization quite yet like I have, and perhaps this somehow helps. At any rate, that’s all I got left to say really.