• average MKX

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • He needs it

Votes: 74 61.2%

• Total voters

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Damage buff? IDK about that. All his combos do the same as pre-patch
Hes talking about the ability to use EX invis to extend combos. @Derptile This thread wasn't about being excited that a tool got better...The poll is "How Broken is this" as if it was some new discovery that NRS used to Buff Reptile into everyones "sacred" top 5 tier lists and essentially trying to call attention to it as being broken to receive a nerf.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
He could always interrupt strings like this but it just wasn't worth using since you wouldn't get the damage and you couldn't "parry" the way you're doing it in your videos. Great stuff. And yeah this is basically the same as Kotal's parry, but you don't see people whinning about that do you.

Also shout outs to tagging King Hippo over me, Milky or @OFIDYAN :(

4x4lo8o

Noob
Hes talking about the ability to use EX invis to extend combos. @Derptile This thread wasn't about being excited that a tool got better...The poll is "How Broken is this" as if it was some new discovery that NRS used to Buff Reptile into everyones "sacred" top 5 tier lists and essentially trying to call attention to it as being broken to receive a nerf.
This thread is exactly about being excited about a tool that got good. Talking about brokenness is how you do that. I dunno what fgc you're from, but around here everything good is broke. It's how we talk.
I play this character, I'm not looking for nerfs. I thought the humorous tone was enough to make it obvious that this isn't a butt hurt thread, but I guess this is the Internet and it's a given people will misinterpret. This thread is for fun to show off something cool Reptile has

Last edited:

4x4lo8o

Noob
He could always interrupt strings like this but it just wasn't worth using since you wouldn't get the damage and you couldn't "parry" the way you're doing it in your videos. Great stuff. And yeah this is basically the same as Kotal's parry, but you don't see people whinning about that do you.

Shit bro! I knew there was some MK9 Reptile I was forgetting. I didn't know Milkys TYM tag but I just saw you on stream. I'll tag you next time

King Hippos one of my local bois though, had to tag him

Last edited:

RapZiLLa54

Don't worry Cossner, I didn't get tagged either lol

RapZiLLa54

This thread is exactly about being excited about a tool that got good. Talking about brokenness is how you do that. I dunno what fgc you're from, but around here everything good is broke.
This is exactly why I barely frequent this site and turned down becoming a moderator.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Deceptive Reptile got a pretty good buff to his Invisibility with this patch. He got some frame traps and new combos and in general it's easier to get your Invisibility up for offensive set ups, but they also gave him this:

That is Deceptive Reptile's Invisibility Parry. It is a ridiculously useful parry.
It works because Invisibility(dd3+block) has a hit of armor. Since the entire move is only 16 frames you can activate it and use that armor to absorb a hit and then go into a normal to punish the opponents recovery. Generally you can go into a full combo with f412 which does 34% midscreen with no bar beyond what you already spent on the parry.

You can use it for footsies:
If you guess wrong or time it too early it's ok because you can just block. Even if you get hit somehow the Invisibility eats the damage from the first hit and the opponent will probably screw up the juggle because you're invisible. If you really misread and the opponent backed off instead that's ok too because you're completely safe and were actually spending the bar on an offensive setup - now you're playing invisible footsies

You can use it to punish projectiles:
On second thought it might be better to just use ex-slide. I dunno, take it to the lab maybe? I bet this is good

You can use it to interrupt gaps in strings for a full combo:
If the opponent tries something tricky in anticipation of you armoring through the gaps it's ok - you might still be able to punish and even if you can't you're probably safe and maybe even still invisible.

You can use it to escape set ups:
If you guess wrong, that's ok. You were probably going to guess wrong anyway. Quan Chi got buffed more than Reptile so that one's on NRS

You can use it to punish attempts at pressure while you're negative:
Cassie's ex-flipkick hasn't got shit on this. If they were too scared and blocked they just gave you a free invisible mix up

You can use it to ignore mixups while you get up:
Even if they block to bait a wake up you're safe. And invisible.

Sometimes you can even punish their meaty attacks:
No need to make a read here. You just wake up with it and blow up whatever they did.

Oh, this works the other way around too. Blowing up wake up attacks:
Armor? Two hits? Safe on block? Who cares?

Some characters can't really do anything about it:
I'm not making reads here, I'm pressing the same thing every time.

Even if they have a move that hits twice fast enough to break the parry, you can usually block it and punish:
Did you notice I'm setting that up off pounce? I end half my combos with that move anyway. If they delay their wake up they have to block an invisible mix up. I guess they can back dash and deal with invisible zoning

So, yeah, this move is pretty good. It's armor that's safe(not just on block, it's almost impossible to punish) and leads to good damage. Plus it gives him a defense buff(activating invisibility makes it so the next hit he takes doesn't deal damage*) and doubles as an offensive set up. When you add in the the frame traps he gets off it now(did you f21~invis is like plus 6 on block and combo's on hit? That's a gdlk footsie) plus the increased combo potential this is probably the single best move in the game.

The only thing better than an Invisibility parry is an invisible Invisibility parry

@THTB
@G4S J360
@huh
@MastererBetty (I'm tagging you even though I'm still salty about that match at Evo two years ago)
@Fraud Blank
(sorry all you other Reptile guys, I don't know all of you yet!)
@Eminent
@KingHippo
@ando1184
@CitizenSnips58 (fake Citizensnips)
Great post, since this has video for every situation ill sticky this. This is a great reference tool.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Great post, since this has video for every situation ill sticky this. This is a great reference tool.
Thank you sir. It was my intent for this to be something educational.

How's that different from any armored launcher?
How's that different than most armored launchers.
I'm not sure if I should respond to these since they're a balance argument and not a sincere question(which is fine, but I don't want to take a side on that. I'm not complaining or looking for a nerf) but just for the record, here's a clear answer for anyone who might be actually wondering why this is different:
Most armored launchers in this game aren't safe on block, and the few that are tend be moves the character is designed around and are possible to bait and punish by something other than blocking (like a njp). This doesn't really fit either of those. Those moves also don't temporarily buff your offense AND defense the way Invisibility does if the opponent reads youre doing it and backs off or blocks.

Last edited:

Bobbyxton_

It's Official
This thread is exactly about being excited about a tool that got good. Talking about brokenness is how you do that. I dunno what fgc you're from, but around here everything good is broke. It's how we talk.
I play this character, I'm not for nerfs. I thought the humorous tone was enough to make it obvious that this isn't a butt hurt thread, but I guess this is the Internet and it's a given people will misinterpret. This thread is for fun to show off something cool Reptile has
You're absolutely right bro, and it's not that this stuff is aimed at you, but you said it yourself, anything that's deemed good or remotely better than a specific players main needs a nerf, and thus the hype-train gets taken in for repairs and instead we all have to wait to board the crap-wagon, which doesn't have any room for happiness, rainbows or smiles, just salt, salt and salt.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Thank you sir. It was my intent for this to be something educational.

I'm not sure if I should respond to these since they're a balance argument and not a sincere question(which is fine, but I don't want to take a side on. I'm not complaining or looking for a nerf) but just for the record, here's a clear answer for anyone who might be actually wondering why this is different:
Most armored launchers in this game aren't safe on block, and the few that are tend be moves the character is designed around and are possible to bait and punish by something other than blocking (like a njp). This doesn't really fit either of those. Those moves also don't temporarily buff your offense AND defense the way Invisibility does if the opponent reads youre doing it and backs off or blocks.
That is true, it's better than those. I'd compare to what Tremor has. But then again, the guy posted that [it launches] into a full combo. Like if that was the issue.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I don't see this as massively overpowered. First, it takes 1 bar as any armor launcher.

Second, you can use it in string gaps, but so can Cassie and other characters.

Third, the "most armored launchers are unsafe" argument doesn't seem ok to me, because the armored launchers always put out a hit, to launch. This just makes you invisible. So it's basically a 50-50 if he's going to hit with something or not. If he's not, what you get is invis into a block string, which no, doesn't seem overpowered at all because it's not free.

This seems to me like jumping the gun on something theoretical. I just want to see how much Reptile will win by using this in cases where an armored launcher wouldn't work. My guess is not much.

Last edited:

huh

Noob
The "parry" is already known, but with less recovery and no auto-block, now you really can put up better damaging combos if used to interrupt gaps or as a bait. It's a little bit more versatile than an armored launcher, because you can select what to do afterwards. Either choose a specific string to launch, block, jump out, etc... So I'll give it has more versatility.

On the other hand, that's literally the only move that makes an entire variation. Just think about it, it's not just another special, it's the whole content of a variation. Deceptive has no other specific move other than that. So, that considered, Is fair enough that invisibility has something more than a regular armored launcher.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I understand what your saying...but technically that's not a parry. Liu Kang and Kano have parry's.

It reminds me of MK9 Kabal's "flash parry", so I'm calling it a parry.

On the other hand, that's literally the only move that makes an entire variation. Just think about it, it's not just another special, it's the whole content of a variation. Deceptive has no other specific move other than that. So, that considered, Is fair enough that invisibility has something more than a regular armored launcher.
This is a good a point

skater11

The saltiest
Don't have access to latest patch but what are the new recovery frames on EX invisibility? Also, does it have armor all throughout its frames or is it possible to whiff punish it by waiting after certain frames.