What's new

Match Footage - Kano Debrief yourself

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
How about we rate and interpret our own match footage? There’s a ton to learn and maybe others can learn too. This is a video of me against d'vorah. I think we fought on par in this video and I just got lucky I won. So let me start:

Lesson 1: Stop using random kano-balls.
I tend to throw in Kanoballs when I stress out. Keep calm.

Lesson 2: Start bringing in 50/50’s
I tend to use the same combo over and over (f212, mid) while I could better use: b31(2) or b12(1). Those two combo’s are low or overhead and harder to execute.

Lesson 3: Run for your life!
Run in and start the 50/50’s. I’m jumping, dashing, walking. Anything but running.

Lesson 4: Be the agressor
When things get exiting, I tend to go for defence. While I’d rather go for full offence. Especially with this aggressive cutthroat.

Lesson 5: Press the right buttons
It’s still hard to press the right buttons. I think this too comes to relaxation.

Love to hear you guys rate/analyze/intepret your own matches.
Edit: Or comment on my video/other vids of course!

Last edited:

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Yeah all comments welcome of course. On the other side, you'll start improving the minute you understand what you're doing wrong. Maybe it's just a stupid idea and I should keep it to/for myself, but analyzing what goes wrong and writing it down helps me (that's what I presume anyway).

And what is teabagging in MKX-land? Ducking sequence at the end? It's my speed test to see how fast i can press buttons.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Stop jumping (ESPECIALLY against D'Vorah of all characters), hit confirm F212 instead of throwing it out since it's unsafe, go for the mixup more, cancel your ex balls into full conversions instead of the knockdown, stop respecting D'Vorah's counterzoning because it's slower than your knives, stop waking up so much. That's what I got from it.

kraezyx

I never considered you at all.
Ok, I won't repeat multiple errors and don't take this wrong way, it's to help -
  • 0:18 less random jumps at full screen
  • 0:20 don't wakeup buttons without armor
  • 0:23 convert ex ball wakeup into combo
  • 0:31 dash or block low on D'vorah's puddle
  • 0:34 don't knife so close to your opponent
  • 0:40 hit confirm f21
  • 0:50 less random balls
  • 1:12 11 is not plus on block
  • 1:31 space your jumpins and let opponent come to you when you have advantage at a distance, instead of forfeiting that advantage
  • 2:03 if you throw with back to corner, try throwing them, especially since Cutthroat's gameplan is to get them into corner and mixup(do mixups)
Overall, you need to learn some spacing and your poke frame advantage. Anyone that applies pressure properly on you can lock you out, especially since they'd notice you wakeup with something every time.

To do:
  • Read some info on footsies / watch players like @MrInsaynne for Kano tips (http://www.twitch.tv/insaynne/c/6806242 is a good Cutthroat set)
  • Learn the framedata, when you're negative / plus
  • Practice spacing on normals / jumpins
  • Practice execution
  • Practice hit confirms
  • Relax
Have fun

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Wow. Yeah slow down a lil bit. Kept jumping and air balling.easily punishable. You woke up ball every single time. Why? Even when your like a speck away in the 2nd round you armored ball. Not one poke. Use d3 and d4 to check your opponet. And wiff punish stuff. That dvorah did that string when she jumps inthe air and you could have finished the fight right there.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Ok, I won't repeat multiple errors and don't take this wrong way, it's to help -
  • 0:18 less random jumps at full screen
  • 0:20 don't wakeup buttons without armor
  • 0:23 convert ex ball wakeup into combo
  • 0:31 dash or block low on D'vorah's puddle
  • 0:34 don't knife so close to your opponent
  • 0:40 hit confirm f21
  • 0:50 less random balls
  • 1:12 11 is not plus on block
  • 1:31 space your jumpins and let opponent come to you when you have advantage at a distance, instead of forfeiting that advantage
  • 2:03 if you throw with back to corner, try throwing them, especially since Cutthroat's gameplan is to get them into corner and mixup(do mixups)
Overall, you need to learn some spacing and your poke frame advantage. Anyone that applies pressure properly on you can lock you out, especially since they'd notice you wakeup with something every time.

To do:
  • Read some info on footsies / watch players like @MrInsaynne for Kano tips (http://www.twitch.tv/insaynne/c/6806242 is a good Cutthroat set)
  • Learn the framedata, when you're negative / plus
  • Practice spacing on normals / jumpins
  • Practice execution
  • Practice hit confirms
  • Relax
Have fun
Only thing is ill say that its ok everyonce in awhile to throw a knife up close cause its -7 i believe. Good for frame advantage on Hit but lose your turn on block with out armoring.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Wow. Great advice! Next video i'll post will be loads better. I started with hit confirming f212 and cancelling Kano balls in the training mode. Let's see how this will effect my game.

@kraezyx really appreciated! Guess there's work to be done :D

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I like to debreif myself. I have some fights from my Kano online. About to upload a new video from fights last month. I'll post it here when I'm done. Also check out my YouTube page for more Kano fights. Link is on my profile page.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Here is my video I posted in July. Some pretty good counters I pulled of. My new video is processing for fights i had all last month. I got behind on my uploads.

Jupe

Noob
Here is my video I posted in July. Some pretty good counters I pulled of.
Don't get too happy with the counters. In these games it was easy for you to use them as your opponent was waking up 90% of the time with slide and not punishing you when you whiff the counter. Against better ppl you can't throw them out constantly or you will get punished.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Don't get too happy with the counters. In these games it was easy for you to use them as your opponent was waking up 90% of the time with slide and not punishing you when you whiff the counter. Against better ppl you can't throw them out constantly or you will get punished.
Yeah... learned quite a bit since then. More experience fighters don't fall for my counters wakeups punish. Also, most knows not to throw out to many highs. Overall, I love Commando Kano! Choking fools never gets old. Here is my new video. Grade me on this on and tell me where to improve at.

Jupe

Noob
@PrimBloodGhost You using unsafe specials such as upball, kanoball and the parries too much. Try using Kano's good normals (11, b13, b31, d4, d3) more and hitconfirm the strings into specials. In the last 2 or 3 games you were using ur normals a bit more which is good, but still too many unsafe stuff.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
The thing I like about your video is how relaxed you are playing. Lots of distance with knives and running in now and then.
But what I'm missing is the combo's. I've watched the first match up till now and the highest combo was 23%.
So that's what ive got up till now. Sushi is being served so ill check the rest later.
Btw. Great ducking sequence!

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
The thing I like about your video is how relaxed you are playing. Lots of distance with knives and running in now and then.
But what I'm missing is the combo's. I've watched the first match up till now and the highest combo was 23%.
So that's what ive got up till now. Sushi is being served so ill check the rest later.
Btw. Great ducking sequence!
Yeah i gotta stay calm other wise illjust be unsafe or get hit by things that i dont ea t to get hit by. As for combos. Since i dont have mixups i have to get my damage without always relying on combos. Although i rewatched it right quick i couldve gotten more if i didnt drop some combos

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Yeah i gotta stay calm other wise illjust be unsafe or get hit by things that i dont ea t to get hit by. As for combos. Since i dont have mixups i have to get my damage without always relying on combos. Although i rewatched it right quick i couldve gotten more if i didnt drop some combos
Other matches I saw some cool combo´s. So it was probably just the first match. Other than that I noticed two more things which might be interesting:
- your NJP got punished about 4-5 times with an uppercut, while not landing a single one (if im correct)
- Corner pressure is missing. Mileena escaped a lot or you gave space. Is that because of the mix up? Or you'd rather play mid'? Not sure, but everyone keeps telling: kano = max corner pressure.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Other matches I saw some cool combo´s. So it was probably just the first match. Other than that I noticed two more things which might be interesting:
- your NJP got punished about 4-5 times with an uppercut, while not landing a single one (if im correct)
- Corner pressure is missing. Mileena escaped a lot or you gave space. Is that because of the mix up? Or you'd rather play mid'? Not sure, but everyone keeps telling: kano = max corner pressure.
Yeah. I was testing him on the njps cause its really my only overhead. So i xsnt do that with him very often or at all. I prefer playing the mid game with mil cause shes stubby and has to commit to and unsafe things to get any real damage off. Kanos corner pressure eith cyber is ok haha. Hes alot more threatening with commando( parries and cmnd grabs) and cutthroat (50-50s) so what you saw me there ( ill rewatch) was me trying to bait a roll to punish.i have the advantage on low pokes and normals but one roll or armoured roll will put me inthe corner and then i have to play her game until i guess right and punish or armor

Jupe

Noob
FT10 online using Cutthroat and Commando against Takeda and JC. I started practicing Commando a week or so ago, so my execution with Commando needs more improving. First 15 minutes cutthroat, rest commando gameplay.

My notes on the fights:
-During first fights my execution was off, I have fought against takeda very little and had to focus way too much on blocking and getting more comfortable with the matchup
-I need to work a lot on my dbf4 and dfb4 inputs. You can maybe notice me trying to do the command grab at some situations but get f4 or b4 instead.
-Can't get too trigger happy with air kanoball. It worked a lot here, but it might not work as well always.
-Need to get better at hitconfirming b31 midscreen.
-Armored command grabs more against Johnny to punish him when his cancels are not on point
-Less 112, more b13. Getting poked out of 11 too often.