What's new

Question deathstroke up close/vs anti zoners

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i noticed that in general deathstroke is extremely weak against anybody up close to him and against characters like raven or green lantern (anyone with a gravity squeeze kinda move), so this comes as a 2 part question really.

A. what can deathstroke do to reset full screen after someone gets up close to you reliably? i find using pizza cutter to be a relatively poor choice since it is supper punishable on block and if you use it as an anti-air up close, sometimes the last hit wont connect which causes all the pushback, putting him touching you on either side. ive tried jb3 as an option which seems to be a little bit better but still not the best.

B. against characters like raven or green lantern who's zoning style pretty much counters his, what is his beast approach? ive tried several things like waiting for them to use their squeeze-type moves and punishing, which seems to be the best option, but i was wondering if it would be better to try to play offensively in those matchups. however, i have not really explored his offensive options very deeply.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
i noticed that in general deathstroke is extremely weak against anybody up close to him and against characters like raven or green lantern (anyone with a gravity squeeze kinda move), so this comes as a 2 part question really.

A. what can deathstroke do to reset full screen after someone gets up close to you reliably? i find using pizza cutter to be a relatively poor choice since it is supper punishable on block and if you use it as an anti-air up close, sometimes the last hit wont connect which causes all the pushback, putting him touching you on either side. ive tried jb3 as an option which seems to be a little bit better but still not the best.

B. against characters like raven or green lantern who's zoning style pretty much counters his, what is his beast approach? ive tried several things like waiting for them to use their squeeze-type moves and punishing, which seems to be the best option, but i was wondering if it would be better to try to play offensively in those match ups. however, i have not really explored his offensive options very deeply.
Your opponents will get in eventually if they know what to do. You cannot remain in one spot and spam gun shots. Deathstroke will develop into a footsies character over time as none of his projectiles have push back on block.

A. You can use d+1 xx d,b+3 up close. d+1 is 7F but hits low. d,b+3 is safe. If d+1 connects, meter burn d,b+3 and combo with d,f+1. At mid range, you can use b+1,u+2. When you train them to block low, start using b+2 xx d,b+3. b+1,u+2 and b+2 is a safe 50/50 mix up. I highly suggest that you turn off "release check" in the control options, so that you do not get d,b+2 while doing b+2 xx d,b+3.

B. Aside from possibly Cyborg's, no zoning counters Deathstroke's. Bait, block, and punish moves like Raven's soul crush.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Your opponents will get in eventually if they know what to do. You cannot remain in one spot and spam gun shots. Deathstroke will develop into a footsies character over time as none of his projectiles have push back on block.

A. You can use d+1 xx d,b+3 up close. d+1 is 7F but hits low. d,b+3 is safe. If d+1 connects, meter burn d,b+3 and combo with d,f+1. At mid range, you can use b+1,u+2. When you train them to block low, start using b+2 xx d,b+3. b+1,u+2 and b+2 is a safe 50/50 mix up. I highly suggest that you turn off "release check" in the control options, so that you do not get d,b+2 while doing b+2 xx d,b+3.

B. Aside from possibly Cyborg's, no zoning counters Deathstroke's. Bait, block, and punish moves like Raven's soul crush.

thanks! i understand that eventually people will get in if they aren't retarded. from what i understand it seems like blocking gunshots grants a free dash so it aint that hard to get in.

and really? only cyborg challenges deathstroke's zoning? i feel like when i play against lantern or raven they will just lift/squeeze me either out of my shots or after blocking my shots. i mean yeah its not easy and you kinda have to yomi them if you want to get them out of your shots. IMO it makes the matchup really interesting. thanks for the tips man!

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
thanks! i understand that eventually people will get in if they aren't retarded. from what i understand it seems like blocking gunshots grants a free dash so it aint that hard to get in.

and really? only cyborg challenges deathstroke's zoning? i feel like when i play against lantern or raven they will just lift/squeeze me either out of my shots or after blocking my shots. i mean yeah its not easy and you kinda have to yomi them if you want to get them out of your shots. IMO it makes the matchup really interesting. thanks for the tips man!
Same way your opponent needs to be patient when dealing with your zoning as DS you have to establish the same mentality towards their tactics. Footsies and mixing up the timing of your gunshots is key to keep them guessing on when to throw out their squeezes. Honestly when facing Raven I walk back and forth a bit then do nothing and duck and act as if I gonna shoot to bait out her squeezes.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Same way your opponent needs to be patient when dealing with your zoning as DS you have to establish the same mentality towards their tactics. Footsies and mixing up the timing of your gunshots is key to keep them guessing on when to throw out their squeezes. Honestly when facing Raven I walk back and forth a bit then do nothing and duck and act as if I gonna shoot to bait out her squeezes.
what normals should i be considering for footsies?

King Checkmate

uɐlop sı ʎllɐnʇɔɐ
Deathstrokes are always all fun and zoning until they have a trait activated Doomsday 1mt away from them. It 's fun.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Don't forget that DS has an incredible f3 that is +10 on block, and on hit leads to an easy 25%-34%. D1, f3 seems to catch a lot of players, and MB f3 is an amazing anti-wakeup tool. If they block it, you can attempt d1-f3, b1u2, f23 (which is +9 on block), throw, or crossup. You can also use MB b3 to armor through jump-ins and other moves for an easy 30%-36% punish.

King Checkmate

uɐlop sı ʎllɐnʇɔɐ
Don't forget that DS has an incredible f3 that is +10 on block, and on hit leads to an easy 25%-34%. D1, f3 seems to catch a lot of players, and MB f3 is an amazing anti-wakeup tool. If they block it, you can attempt d1-f3, b1u2, f23 (which is +9 on block), throw, or crossup. You can also use MB b3 to armor through jump-ins and other moves for an easy 30%-36% punish.
of course you can.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Against other zoners, just be patient. You do more chip. DS literally cannot be outzoned by any other charater because you can just block and return fire infinitely. Even if they block a well, you will win. Sinestro, Raven, GL, and Ares will all have to try to get in at some point, because they literally can not win a zoning war with DS.

I do recommend finding a good Doomsday player and having them join you in practice to learn the MU. It's rough, but winnable. Gunshots are a lot more useful than Assault Rifle in that fight.

Breaker

~AKUMA~
jonnitti, as karaokelove has mentioned Deathstroke cannot be out zoned by anyone so far in the game. As for DS being weak up close...ahh weak is not the right word, he IS in fact very deadly up close but you have to know how to wield Deathstorke's melee strategy. I think I'm gonna make a video today on how to use DS when the gap is closed in.

Reactions: SLy

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
seriously though this is what I do.

f23 which leaves him at advantage for a frame trap. Option 323 (combo), b21 (guns if lands) or b1 u2 (combo) and hit confirm to combo.

Overwhelmed by pressure? Use the universal tool b3 or f3 mb for armor which can be used to counter pressure into launched combos.

sometimes i like to go for f23 (blocked) 32 xx db3 mb overhead or low. if overhead hits option guns to push them back out. if low hits you get a jump 3, throw attempt or just commit to combo.

Hopefully that helps a little.

Also random note because i dont have the frame data available. But when an f3 is blocked it seems to work as a pseudo frame trap and I catch a lot of people pressing buttons with a followed 323 string.

Breaker

~AKUMA~
seriously though this is what I do.

f23 which leaves him at advantage for a frame trap. Option 323 (combo), b21 (guns if lands) or b1 u2 (combo) and hit confirm to combo.

Overwhelmed by pressure? Use the universal tool b3 or f3 mb for armor which can be used to counter pressure into launched combos.

sometimes i like to go for f23 (blocked) 32 xx db3 mb overhead or low. if overhead hits option guns to push them back out. if low hits you get a jump 3, throw attempt or just commit to combo.

Hopefully that helps a little.

Also random note because i dont have the frame data available. But when an f3 is blocked it seems to work as a pseudo frame trap and I catch a lot of people pressing buttons with a followed 323 string.
It's not a "pseudo" frame trap it IS a frame trap and can cause serious vortex problems.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
It's not a "pseudo" frame trap it IS a frame trap and can cause serious vortex problems.
WOAH! I said I didn't have access to the fucking data off the top of my head so i said pseudo as a placeholder in case i was wrong. Seems like i set myself up for the spergy backlash regardless.

But since were being douchebags now. Please elaborate on this vortex he doesn't have.

Breaker

~AKUMA~
Sao87....Are you okay, did you have too much coffee?
"WOAH!" relax there my man :) , all I said was it's not pseudo and it is real, I was confirming your theory, and F3 is +10 on block.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
WOAH! I said I didn't have access to the fucking data off the top of my head so i said pseudo as a placeholder in case i was wrong. Seems like i set myself up for the spergy backlash regardless.

But since were being douchebags now. Please elaborate on this vortex he doesn't have.
Flaming and trolling aside, F3 is +10

Also replying to your previous post, 32 can't link to anything on block. It can't even go to 323. It just stops at 32 and leaves you at I think -1 or -4 I'm not quite sure.

After a blocked 32 I would normally back-dash and do LowGS to catch any counterpokes. Or do an armored B3 into combo if I want to use the meter.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Flaming and trolling aside, F3 is +10

Also replying to your previous post, 32 can't link to anything on block. It can't even go to 323. It just stops at 32 and leaves you at I think -1 or -4 I'm not quite sure.

After a blocked 32 I would normally back-dash and do LowGS to catch any counterpokes. Or do an armored B3 into combo if I want to use the meter.
im saying 32 on block i cancel into db3 mb mixup overhead/low..

Breaker

~AKUMA~

Don't you feel like a fool after you misinterpreted my reply to you, assumed I was "attacking you" (probably from personal insecurities), and took it to liberty by calling me a "douchebag" when I was trying to help you out.....

The vortex stays with me and all you freestrokes can try to struggle your way around rushdown characters, tell Doomsday I said hello and that he's free.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Don't you feel like a fool after you misinterpreted my reply to you, assumed I was "attacking you" (probably from personal insecurities), and took it to liberty by calling me a "douchebag" when I was trying to help you out.....

The vortex stays with me and all you freestrokes can try to struggle your way around rushdown characters, tell Doomsday I said hello and that he's free.
Lol, don't really feel like a fool. The post came off as condecending to me.

Yes save yourself the embarassment. *spoiler* he doesn't have a vortex.

Crathen

Death is my business
You can link specials after 32 on block, actually you can use 32 MB Ar to create some space but only with characters that can't punish it

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 con Tapatalk 2