What's new

Question Dealing with people who constantly jump

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Greetings Test Your Might,

Crusty the Clown here and I am writing this post which has been in the back of my mind for the past year now but only recently did this question resurface. Here was the situation, I dunno if this was addressed before but here I go.

As much as I hate online for IGAU (and soon for MKX), I play it out of sheer boredom since I can't find anyone nearby. As a player, I hate it when people online jump constantly and it actually works because it disturbs my focus on the game. It's no like the jumping patterns are predictable, just always after a string or after they are knocked down, they have the fucking gall to jump to not only catch me recklessly but stuffing my attempts to counterattack and I just lose my temper.

Perfect example being: after Ares does any string (most of his strings are either plus or safe), I try to poke out of his advance but he just jumps and kills me every single time. Deathstroke constantly spamming J3, Batman's hard to block J2 being done twice to confuse me more, and any character with an annoying jump arc and/or airdash.

I am a completely competent player and easily able to react to, most of the time, in the match (literally waiting till my opponent does something to hang himself). When people start spontaneously jumping it blows up my neutral game, my concentration and above all makes me lose my brothers put it 'my perfect composure'. I can literally start the match composed (go 5 - 0) but then my opponent starts doing the nonsense described above and I just cannot cope with it for some reason (as if of all things, this gets me mad the most.) I get so heated that I get blinded by my frustration which is rare for me and all of a sudden its (5-5) or higher .

So I ask you, the general FGC, how do I get past such stupid tactics or at least avoid being provoked by them entirely. How do I shut down these players terrible neutral game and what options do I have?

This is entirely a universal options for each character in the game. But just for the sake of convenience I play GA, Lobo and Sinestro. I can block JI and Crossups but not when they are used constantly, I feel its a lose-lose situation.

I hope this rage doesn't continue when I get my PS4 on my birthday in february.

Crusty

It's not random. I join rooms and fight people higher in rank and see if they are good only to get bodied the first few games by me up until to point where these unorthodox tactics come into play, jumping all of the place just makes me want to hurt the player more when I chase them down cause they get on my bad side doing so. That stuff and just people having the gall to resort to throwing me (though the latter rarely happens) gets me just mad

Last edited:

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
walk back to a good range where you can anti air or trip guard consistently. when you see a jump you can back dash to create some breathing room or if your looking for a jump you could forward dash under them and trip guard.

Read the OP
D2 with sinestro, if I can recall S3 with Lobo was a good anti air and for GA I don't know

Edit: DB3 for GA might work OK I think the move is called savage blast or something, it's the move where he jumps back and shoots an arrow to the ground

Last edited:

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
The problem is that you're thinking of jumping as a cheap tactic. It isn't. It's an integral part of the neutral game, and it's really up to you to learn how to counter it. Your thinking of the neutral is too rigid to account for this extra dimension, and it's frustrating you. Losing your temper is silly. Go to the lab and learn timings and counters. You don't have a God given right to anti-air. You have to earn it with timing and skill.

Some characters are better at anti-air than others, just as some characters are better at jump attacks than others. If this is really your main concern, then pick up Cybernetic Kano and laugh your ass off when people jump at you. If you main Cyber and still complain about jumps, then sorry brother, but the problem is all on your end of the controller.

Crusty

The problem is that you're thinking of jumping as a cheap tactic. It isn't. It's an integral part of the neutral game, and it's really up to you to learn how to counter it. Your thinking of the neutral is too rigid to account for this extra dimension, and it's frustrating you. Losing your temper is silly. Go to the lab and learn timings and counters. You don't have a God given right to anti-air. You have to earn it with timing and skill.

Some characters are better at anti-air than others, just as some characters are better at jump attacks than others. If this is really your main concern, then pick up Cybernetic Kano and laugh your ass off when people jump at you. If you main Cyber and still complain about jumps, then sorry brother, but the problem is all on your end of the controller.
You're right on that account but its not that I think its cheap, I just think its unorthodox and disorienting to see or comprehend. I can anti-air when a person does it once but looping it destroys my concentration. It's almost taunting in some ways, I simply want a way out. That being said, I'll look at my options on this stuff.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
It's not random. I join rooms and fight people higher in rank and see if they are good only to get bodied the first few games by me up until to point where these unorthodox tactics come into play, jumping all of the place just makes me want to hurt the player more when I chase them down cause they get on my bad side doing so. That stuff and just people having the gall to resort to throwing me (though the latter rarely happens) gets me just mad
Unless they're from a FGC or have been around players of that kind, they are random. No knowledge of fundamentals, frame data, etc. So yes. They. Are. Randoms.

Landonio

n00b
I can't stand this shit either. Constantly jumping isn't "cheap" by any means, but it is a little too good in this game (MKX), especially online. Specifically jump-ins and "jump-overs" as I like to call them. JWong was the king of that shit and bopped everyone online with it. I've yet to come up with a consistent way to deal with it. And 99% of the time it's the bad players who don't understand the game that do it, yet they still end up beating me (not that I'm good though, but I can say with confidence am better than a good 75-80% of the scrandies I play online).

Can anybody offer any advice, particulary dealing with Scorpions who constantly jump around and teleport like mad men? And yes, I know Teleport is unsafe on it's own but when it's thrown in at random times and the follow up attack is a mixup, it's kinda difficult to deal with online. I've mainly use Kenjutsu Kenshi and GM Sub when I play against Scorp, and just feel at a loss against the ones that NEVER FUCKING STAY ON THE GROUND. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I can't stand this shit either. Constantly jumping isn't "cheap" by any means, but it is a little too good in this game (MKX), especially online. Specifically jump-ins and "jump-overs" as I like to call them. JWong was the king of that shit and bopped everyone online with it. I've yet to come up with a consistent way to deal with it. And 99% of the time it's the bad players who don't understand the game that do it, yet they still end up beating me (not that I'm good though, but I can say with confidence am better than a good 75-80% of the scrandies I play online).

Can anybody offer any advice, particulary dealing with Scorpions who constantly jump around and teleport like mad men? And yes, I know Teleport is unsafe on it's own but when it's thrown in at random times and the follow up attack is a mixup, it's kinda difficult to deal with online. I've mainly use Kenjutsu Kenshi and GM Sub when I play against Scorp, and just feel at a loss against the ones that NEVER FUCKING STAY ON THE GROUND. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Walk back to a distance where you can blow up there jump in. If you fighting someone who knows what there doing then they should stop jumping after you blow it up and if they keep jumping then keep backing up. Against crossup you can do standing jabs to anti air.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Guys I never said it was cheap, I just find it annoying and hard to deal with sometimes when looped repeatedly.
For me it's hard online, so the only thing I do is make a read then just walk back and trip guard or if it's close dash forwards as they jump so they miss then you're back in the neutral game.

Offline though... Ho ho oh man. GET OUTTA MY AIR SPACE!

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Greetings Test Your Might,

Crusty the Clown here and I am writing this post which has been in the back of my mind for the past year now but only recently did this question resurface. Here was the situation, I dunno if this was addressed before but here I go.

As much as I hate online for IGAU (and soon for MKX), I play it out of sheer boredom since I can't find anyone nearby. As a player, I hate it when people online jump constantly and it actually works because it disturbs my focus on the game. It's no like the jumping patterns are predictable, just always after a string or after they are knocked down, they have the fucking gall to jump to not only catch me recklessly but stuffing my attempts to counterattack and I just lose my temper.

Perfect example being: after Ares does any string (most of his strings are either plus or safe), I try to poke out of his advance but he just jumps and kills me every single time. Deathstroke constantly spamming J3, Batman's hard to block J2 being done twice to confuse me more, and any character with an annoying jump arc and/or airdash.

I am a completely competent player and easily able to react to, most of the time, in the match (literally waiting till my opponent does something to hang himself). When people start spontaneously jumping it blows up my neutral game, my concentration and above all makes me lose my brothers put it 'my perfect composure'. I can literally start the match composed (go 5 - 0) but then my opponent starts doing the nonsense described above and I just cannot cope with it for some reason (as if of all things, this gets me mad the most.) I get so heated that I get blinded by my frustration which is rare for me and all of a sudden its (5-5) or higher .

So I ask you, the general FGC, how do I get past such stupid tactics or at least avoid being provoked by them entirely. How do I shut down these players terrible neutral game and what options do I have?

This is entirely a universal options for each character in the game. But just for the sake of convenience I play GA, Lobo and Sinestro. I can block JI and Crossups but not when they are used constantly, I feel its a lose-lose situation.

I hope this rage doesn't continue when I get my PS4 on my birthday in february.
Ares is safe on his strings? Not sure that's what I recall. Also, you shouldn't get mad 'cause the moment you get mad, that's the moment your opponent has an extra advantage over you other than the fact that your neutral game is not as good as theirs. They are randomly jumping so if you're staying too close to them then you are being more predictable than what they already are. GA has an anti air arrow to solve your problem. Also, those that jump ALL the time are usually "randoms" or people that don't know about the game. When this is the case all you have to do is perform "plus strings" or frame traps, they will try to press a button EVERY time and will get a full combo punish for it. And that how you solve your problem. Enjoy your wins.

EDIT:
Also, you should start grabbing your opponent too. It's a vital part of the game that you shouldn't neglect.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Find a way to punish aerial opponents.

I usually play very respectfully, but sometimes when I hear the saltiness I break out the jumping tea-bagging neutral game that usually ends in even more salt.

No one does it like Sonic Fox though.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Pick Kung Lao. Spin. That's all there is for consistently AAing in NRS' games. Ferra Torr has a dragon punch. Maybe that works too. AAs in these games are 9/10 shit though. Play Street Fighter or something where the majority of the cast can AA reliably.

Why does NRS refuse to give decent AA options? I have no fucking idea but it's god damn stupid that they can't figure out fighting games 101. I don't have a problem with jump ins and cross ups but god damn...they're a fucking nightmare in the games that NRS makes because they REFUSE to give you reliable means to deal with it (AAing online with their shit netcode is also LOL.)

tl;dr Everyone experiences it and it's simply a matter of NRS not designing the game well.

Last edited:

Crusty

Ares is safe on his strings? Not sure that's what I recall. Also, you shouldn't get mad 'cause the moment you get mad, that's the moment your opponent has an extra advantage over you other than the fact that your neutral game is not as good as theirs. They are randomly jumping so if you're staying too close to them then you are being more predictable than what they already are. GA has an anti air arrow to solve your problem. Also, those that jump ALL the time are usually "randoms" or people that don't know about the game. When this is the case all you have to do is perform "plus strings" or frame traps, they will try to press a button EVERY time and will get a full combo punish for it. And that how you solve your problem. Enjoy your wins.

EDIT:
Also, you should start grabbing your opponent too. It's a vital part of the game that you shouldn't neglect.
Thanks for the advice. My neutral game isn't bad (I can block most if not all of batman bs) per see it just becomes shitty when a person starts jumping and hitting me with Ji normals which dial into a string if done properly. I just want a wanted a way to get that nonsense out of the way. Now I realize that they cannot swing before I can (though it depends on what normal it is).

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Jump attacks were hella nerfed in the patch FYI. Should be easier to AA with whatever you like.