What's new

Guide - Erron Black Dealing with EB's tick throw and sand grenade mixup

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Like Inflames said DB2 catches pokes. Once they start respecting you, you can sneak in a few gun cancels and start 11 pressure.
Likewise when you get them to expect the db2 you blow them up with an EX SG when they try and interrupt

TKB

Noob
Its not a true blockstring but it catches pokes, its a viable option imo
I know armor can blow that up but can they interrupt with a combo string inbetween 21122 and swing shot?

You can literally just stand up and full combo inbetween his 50/50s into swing shot.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Even if you manage to deal with this, he still has the 1,1 / 1,1,b3 xx special or just plain 1,1,b3. If you predict 1,1,b3 special cancel and use armor that has slower start-up than 9 frames and EB doesn't special cancel, you get full combo punished. I can normal upbball through 1,1,b3 xx mb sand grenade and 1,1,b3, but the command grab will catch me (Yeah I know I can punish the grab on a read). Not only that, EB can just do 1,1 and leave himself at +2 and that move recovers as fast as pre-patch Kano vanilla b1. EB can look how I block and use the hesitation caused by not doing the last hit of the string to either do his unseaable b3/f1-mix-up or just command grab again, or whatever he wants. b3,2 xx ex sand grenade can't be armored through if I remember correctly.

Why does this character need to have all these options? If all the hits of the 2-series were unsafe on block then it would be fair, right now it's just free safe chip or at least KND when someone at least doesn't block the last hit... or an almost guaranteed tic throw. His strings will catch backdashes, the f1-series, a tool that's supposed to be a mix-up tool but oh wait he can use it as a footsie tool as well, even without a read he can catch me if I try to backdash after blocking ex sand grenade.

Like what are my options to defend against this character? I still have to beat him in footsies, if I don't and get knocked down my defensive options are reduced to armor and hope for the best. I have to assert my own 50/50 coin flip game to beat him. Getting a correct hard read on this character is damn near impossible due to the amount of options he has.

Ex sand grenade is the real problem though, it should be negative on block and terminate his momentum. Lol what other character in the game has a launcher that's advantage on block?

21122 is a true block string. Can't interrupt it at all. You can only interrupt 21/211/2112 if he decides to cancel after it. However if he goes for the full string he can block for safety or use a ex sand grenade. Note that you can use an armoured move after the ex sand grenade.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I still have to beat him in footsies, if I don't and get knocked down my defensive options are reduced to armor and hope for the best. I have to assert my own 50/50 coin flip game to beat him. Getting a correct hard read on this character is damn near impossible due to the amount of options he has.
Pretty sure you just described this game's meta, this isn't really EB specific in any way.