What's new

Guide - Erron Black Dealing with EB's tick throw and sand grenade mixup

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
EB's tick throw is one of his most valuable tools, and has prompted a few salty threads due to its extreme effectiveness when combined with the 21122 string and EX sand grenade. While many people have already explained your different options versus the tick throw and EX SG, I keep seeing posts in many random threads from people who are unaware of these options, so I thought I would compile them in one thread.

Some things to note:
The first hit of 21122 hits high, so make sure you check with low pokes if you think the string is coming. The grab's startup is technically slow enough to react to, but in the heat of the fight (unless you have godlike nerves/reactions) you will pretty much have to guess. There are a lot of different things that can lead you to make that guess, like what your opponent has done in the past, if they have meter for the EX SG, etc. If they have meter, you will have to make a ballsy read and risk a full combo punish, hold EX SG's + frames on block, or make a specific read I will talk more about later. EB can tick throw after 21, 211, and 2112.

Anytime you read a grab:
- release block and duck, nets you a full combo punish
- NJP, nets you a full combo punish
- cross over jp, nets you a full combo punish
- jump back, you get out of pressure
- back dash, you get out of pressure
- poke with d1/3/4, nets you frame advantage
- reversal special with armor, nets you different things depending on the special
- all options above work even if EB does the tick throw from d1/3 whether you block or get hit from the initial d1/3

When you read an EX SG canceled at anytime before the string's completion - 21, 211, 2112 - you can armor reversal or jump forward or backward. Jumping forward nets you a punish, jumping backward gets you out of pressure. If you try neutral jumping you will get hit.

If EB cancels into EX SG after 21122, you are forced to block the EX SG and cannot armor or jump out. In order to get out, you must let yourself get hit by the final 2 of 21122. You will take minimal damage and be knocked away from EB, he will have wasted a bar on EX SG and lost all of his pressure. However, if EB reads that you will let yourself get hit by the last 2, he can cancel into grab instead, which will combo.

I hope this helps some people understand what to do against this and don't feel at a complete loss. It is for sure a very strong tool in EB's arsenal, and you are bound to make a wrong read at some point and get blown up. Please let me know if there are any options I have missed and I will update the thread. If anyone wants me to update the thread with specific frame data I can do that too.

Edit: Formatted a little and added more to tick throw options and EX SG options, corrected which parts of the 21122 string could be tick throwed
Edit 2: just want to note that the solutions listed work across variations, however if you are facing a marksman, gun cancels come into play, giving EB a ton more options.

Last edited:

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
You can tick off the 21 in 21122. You can't tick off 21122 though, the grab will whiff. So it's 21, 211, and 2112. And you can't special cancel on hit off 21 (at least with rifle swing in marksman, haven't tested sand or low grenade).

EDIT: You can special cancel off 21 on hit but it just doesn't combo. (AGAIN only tested with rifle swing)

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
This post is very important and everyone should see,yes under pressure some things are very hard to perform even when you know them,but sometimes even knowing can help,great work!

TKB

Noob
incase anyone missed it:

mash your armor move while blocking Errons 21122 string. if he tries to tick throw the armor move will come out, this also beats ex sand grenade
If you complete the entire 21122 string into EX sand grenade I thought it was not interruptible. Am I wrong?

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
You can tick off the 21 in 21122. You can't tick off 21122 though, the grab will whiff. So it's 21, 211, and 2112. And you can't special cancel on hit off 21 (at least with rifle swing in marksman, haven't tested sand or low grenade).

EDIT: You can special cancel off 21 on hit but it just doesn't combo. (AGAIN only tested with rifle swing)
I'll edit OP to include 21 and remove 21122 as a tick throw, you're right. Special canceling off 21 does in fact combo, just tried it with slide.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
only on hit

ex sand grenade is guaranteed, can't be reversaled. the canceled advantage of the entire string is like +30
Just for the record, I think the entire 21122 string jails for about 25 frames. I looked at the in game frame data thinking it would jail into Marksman's rifle swing... and it doesn't.

If you're blocking, Erron can do 2~dbf2; 21xxdbf2; 211~dbf2; 2112xxdbf2
He can't finish the FULL string and grab you unless he lands it, what's the start up on the 211 string?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
If you're blocking, Erron can do 2~dbf2; 21xxdbf2; 211~dbf2; 2112xxdbf2
He can't finish the FULL string and grab you unless he lands it, what's the start up on the 211 string?
Are you talking about the standing 2 or the 3rd hit of the string specifically?

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Like Inflames said DB2 catches pokes. Once they start respecting you, you can sneak in a few gun cancels and start 11 pressure.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Really surprised they haven't changed this move from an unblockable to an overhead like the other command grabs yet...