What's new

Dark Souls 3 Discussion Thread

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
I played this games PvP for 2 years. I know what I'm talking about...

There's people talking about a buffed Ice Rapier killing people in 2 hits and you were saying a str weapon which is slower and does less damage than that little toothpick did is not a bad weapon?
Whats your point? I've killed ppl in two hits with Fume UGS and a slow weapon isn't a bad weapon. Also Ice rapier has a horrible moveset compared to fume or just about any weapon really. No what I'm talking about is your whole "I just react and can't be hit" BS. You know high level PvP at the moment is all about killing ppl with your mentality?

Essentially you see attack coming
You react and roll away
Attack was animation cancelled into a different move with a completely different dodge timing
You get hit recovering from roll/panic rolling a second time in some instances with certain cancels
Cancels can be repeated in staggered sequences to create a near un-dodge-able
This techniques is particularly strong with slow weps such as STRENGTH weapons!

People who play like you do are the people who die very very quickly in PvP and wonder where you went wrong.

On a final note have you ever battle someone using scraps of life? Yeah, magic is very useful in PvP

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Whats your point? I've killed ppl in two hits with Fume UGS and a slow weapon isn't a bad weapon. Also Ice rapier has a horrible moveset compared to fume or just about any weapon really. No what I'm talking about is your whole "I just react and can't be hit" BS. You know high level PvP at the moment is all about killing ppl with your mentality?

Essentially you see attack coming
You react and roll away
Attack was animation cancelled into a different move with a completely different dodge timing
You get hit recovering from roll/panic rolling a second time in some instances with certain cancels
Cancels can be repeated in staggered sequences to create a near un-dodge-able
This techniques is particularly strong with slow weps such as STRENGTH weapons!

People who play like you do are the people who die very very quickly in PvP and wonder where you went wrong.

On a final note have you ever battle someone using scraps of life? Yeah, magic is very useful in PvP
What your talking about is not real. They are flinching for no reason, If they were reacting there would be no animation cancel "mix-up" because they would not have panic rolled in the first place. Tthe scenario your talking about stops on the first line.

What does scraps of life do? Move outside the range and menu swap to a greatbow or throw a consumable at them. You do not have to deal with anything Magic does in this game it's just understanding the situation. Homing crystals is the best spell in the game but if you don't want to deal with it you don't have to so it becomes useless

Is this mythbusters lol. Your telling me something is strong and I'm telling you it is not and exactly how to stop it everytime. I think you were a casual in DS2 PvP

Last edited:

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
What your talking about is not real. They are flinching for no reason, If they were reacting there would be no animation cancel "mix-up" because they would not have panic rolled in the first place. Tthe scenario your talking about stops on the first line.

What does scraps of life do? Move outside the range and menu swap to a greatbow or throw a consumable at them. You do not have to deal with anything Magic does in this game it's just understanding the situation. Homing crystals is the best spell in the game but if you don't want to deal with it you don't have to so it becomes useless

Is this mythbusters lol. Your telling me something is strong and I'm telling you it is not and exactly how to stop it everytime. I think you were a casual in DS2 PvP
Scraps of LIfe and I forget the name of the AOE magic added in the DLC should not be used outright offensively. You use them on people's wake ups or you use a different spell to try to bait them to get close and punish you and blow them up with the AOE. Top players won't get hit with it most of the time, but I've killed so many people with them that's it's dumb, especially on wake up. Scraps has one of the fastest cast times in the game. Also shitbags use it because it has an almost identical animation to great heal so they spam it to scare you and then pull off a heal.

I do not find homing soul crystals nor affinity to be the best spells. The reason they don't do shit is because people start fights with them so everyone is used to dodging them. Few people really know how to cast in that game. You have to mix it up to throw off their timing and use it when they don't expect it. Same with all the powerful spells. Also the homing soul arrow is the biggest pain in the ass to get around because it's slow and has specific timing to beat. I find it to be the best utility spell there is for mixing people up.

Also myles you have to admit that some strength weapons are quite good. Grant it they require a completely different playstyle and IMO require some of the highest amount of skill to use well. While there are hard counters to them they are still effective and you often won't fight a good one and not take damage yourself. There are a ton of people that don't know how to fight them. Mainly the BS fishing clowns and parry fish tryhards. I do wish they would have gave them more varied movesets than 2 and then fume though.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!

It's not a panic roll, it's a reaction roll. You know the thing you openly admitted to doing every time you see an attack coming. Also scraps of life into greatheal is amazing against anyone who doesn't have the range to deal with it. Also you seem a little confused, you do know that some weps can be animation cancelled during the last few frames of the swing right? Meaning you have to guess if they are animation cancelling or not. With some weps you can't just wait until the point of no return on the cancel because you are already getting hit.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Might be too early but anyone know how the STR weapons are? i.e. moveset, damage, variety, weapon arts? Ultra greatsword boyz plz
My first build is always, ALWAYS a strength Juggernaut build. Playing the full English version right now, I'll post my notes on STR weapons as I progress.

Error

DF2+R2
Those are scumbag invaders or people who are trying to troll/being tryhards because they know no other way. The only time I use try hard tactics are if they are a gank squad which is the term used for those who intentionally have 2 white or gold phantoms with them in known PvP area's and want to gain up on invaders. But remember this about PvP in the open world. The host has every advantage over the phantom! The host can heal (phantoms must use spells or humanity is DS), summon 2 other phantoms, and in DS2 use a seed of the tree giant. Plus invaders are on a timer so if they want to be punks let em. Especially if you're just playing through the game summon phantoms to help you. All is fair in the open world and why there are bows and such so that you can agree to be honorable or not. In DS2 invaders are also by design usually at a lower Soul Memory aka SM (DS was better in most of the community's opinion being based on Soul level). The intent being that you get invaded by someone just a touch less powerful than you. However invaders are usually more adept players so that's one reason SM was crap.

The Arena's were great to a point but I really hope that they have matchmaking by which ever system they use this time weather it be SM,SL, or something new. In DS2 there was no MM at all so you could be a SL 125 facing a max 830 havel mage with a dark chaos blade more than likely (fuck katana's). Shit was dumb AF but I'm not surprised since there were achievements tied to reaching max covenant level in the arena's so people boosted the giant memory's to reach 800+. They were beatable if they were trash but it was so annoying! Especially because they always healed like pussy's and of course the lag was pretty bad.

If you really want to play PvP I recommend that you wait and see what area the community gravitates toward for honorable duels and fight clubs. FIght clubs are where a host summons white and red phantoms together and everyone watches 1v1's and you just cheer on the sidelines and keep it rolling. Super fun! In DS usually found in the Undead Berg and Anor Londo. DS2 the lava bridge who's name escapes me but people often organize and use another area so they don't get interrupted by people who don't understand it and force the group to 3v1 some poor phantom. This is the best PvP because they will be within 10% of your SL or SM and everyone is there for fun and to test their skills. Some killers out there! Covenants are also fun for PvP as there is no penalty whatsoever to you invading the forest for Savina in DS or the Bell Tower in DS2. But generally only early in the game because now days the forest is just full of gank squads and the bell tower noobs who are just doing the story who are not challenge or disconnect from on-line so it's not that fun.
I was part of a fight club for DS1 PVP for a while and it was loads of fun, and my take on invaders using cheap tactics is that while annoying, it seems like that's how invasions were meant to work, like you said if you want honorable duels you have to join some sort of fight club.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The game is amazing. Assuming I'm a little less than halfway through it right now, since LiJoe said he beat it in about 32 hours. But I'm taking my sweet sweet time.

It starts out easy, then gets pretty tough, then once you get the hang of the mechanics, nuances and increase your level and equipment, it gets fairly easy.

The game is gorgeous and the gameplay is incredibly fluid. The scenery is stunning, A lot of the time I'm just standing around looking at the backgrounds and the scenery because is just so amazing.

So far the boss fights are awesome. Some are a little easier than others but overall, again so far, the boss fights are epic.

The game isn't necessarily linear but it's more linear than what you would expect from a dark souls game.

I will reserve any other judgment on the game until I have beaten it.

Redux

Ex Phase
The game is amazing. Assuming I'm a little less than halfway through it right now, since LiJoe said he beat it in about 32 hours. But I'm taking my sweet sweet time.

It starts out easy, then gets pretty tough, then once you get the hang of the mechanics, nuances and increase your level and equipment, it gets fairly easy.

The game is gorgeous and the gameplay is incredibly fluid. The scenery is stunning, A lot of the time I'm just standing around looking at the backgrounds and the scenery because is just so amazing.

So far the boss fights are awesome. Some are a little easier than others but overall, again so far, the boss fights are epic.

The game isn't necessarily linear but it's more linear than what you would expect from a dark souls game.

i saw you have the xbone english version, FYI that version isn't patched to 1.01 like the JPN version is. Basically it is easier as it was for the journalists reviewing the game to use. I know enemies hit less harder in that version but idk what else. Boss fights in this game are the hardest imo, well the later ones are.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters

Thing I'm the most curious about is the connections for jolly co-op/PvP. Have you done any of it yet? Is it still lag souls?

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Did you check out the "secret areas" they're pretty good especially for not being part of the main storyline
Yes I have, I've killed all bosses :) Just collecting stuff currently and pvping before I decide if I wanna do NG+ or do new chars for storylines I missed.

Redux

Ex Phase
Yes I have, I've killed all bosses :) Just collecting stuff currently and pvping before I decide if I wanna do NG+ or do new chars for storylines I missed.
Awesome. I'm amazed they were able to make each area feel very well done design wise. The way the whole world connects and the gameplay is so good. I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough and I want to beat it already to play the game again on a new character lol.

Reactions: Jer

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Thing I'm the most curious about is the connections for jolly co-op/PvP. Have you done any of it yet? Is it still lag souls?
Can't PvP in the english version right now, at least I don't think so.

I'm still taking my time, but right now this game is miles better than Dark Souls 2.

Steven_a

Light Bringer
Quick question about weapon arts. Does one weapon class have the same weapon art for all, or does majority of weapons have their own unique weapons art? For example, does the halberd and mirdan hammer have the same weapon art, or they have their own?

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Quick question about weapon arts. Does one weapon class have the same weapon art for all, or does majority of weapons have their own unique weapons art? For example, does the halberd and mirdan hammer have the same weapon art, or they have their own?
I think some of em have their own, not sure. I think all Katanas are the same though

Redux

Ex Phase
In my experience ordinary weapons in the same class can share the same weapon art, but boss weapons of that class wont. Boss weapon's art is usually unique and pretty sick

Hades

Noob
I was so amped to get this game and I saw someone playing it on Xbox live so I was like oh shit it's already out. Check online and it gets released on the 12th of April.... Why do game companies release these games so late in some countries?

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I was so amped to get this game and I saw someone playing it on Xbox live so I was like oh shit it's already out. Check online and it gets released on the 12th of April.... Why do game companies release these games so late in some countries?
Afaik From wanted it released last week in JP and they did it, and Namco is handling the NA side of it so it's delayed.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You can get it now in english if you follow my guide. It's on the last page I believe. I have the full game in ENG and two of my friends do as well. Game is fantastic btw.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think weapon arts will be more valuable in PvP. Some of them are good but for PvE I haven't been using them hardly at all. I'm using a STR build though so maybe they're more useful with a different builds.

Hades

Noob
You can get it now in english if you follow my guide. It's on the last page I believe. I have the full game in ENG and two of my friends do as well. Game is fantastic btw.
So I tried to purchase it that way but when I got the buying yen on that website I had to put details on with Japanese characters and I had no idea what I was doing haha. Also if my PayPal account is on a different email to my Xbox live account will that stop me getting the funds on my Xbox live account also?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So I'm pretty far in the game and I still haven't found anything to reinforce armor. I'm assuming they just got rid of that? And odd choice imo. Am I missing something? @Jer

So I tried to purchase it that way but when I got the buying yen on that website I had to put details on with Japanese characters and I had no idea what I was doing haha.
Hmm that's weird, were you not signed in on your account on the JPN website? If not that was the problem.

Also if my PayPal account is on a different email to my Xbox live account will that stop me getting the funds on my Xbox live account also?
No, mine are different as well. I've had my XBL account for like 10 years now so it's still my old hotmail account while paypal is my gmail account.