What's new

Cyber-Sub Zero's Bombs needs a patch

At the current rate, bomb will just be a hindrance to stop dash in 3's combos[MAD][/MAD], and the ice bomb has no practical uses online. It could be a really usefull tool if it only recieved a radius or detonation speed buff! Anyone here that agrees with me? Lets keep this topic on the first page to let NRS know!

:topicsucks::topicsucks::topicsucks:

It's perfectly fine, learn how to use it.
Really? Its that fine? I dare you to hit someone atleast 3 times in a single match without it getting jumped over. Or even forward dashed out of. The facts are, it is weak and has no practical uses online.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Really? Its that fine? I dare you to hit someone atleast 3 times in a single match without it getting jumped over. Or even forward dashed out of. The facts are, it is weak and has no practical uses online.
If this game starts getting patched according to online play, we might as well just stop playing it.

If this game starts getting patched according to online play, we might as well just stop playing it.
Agreed. Just picked up cyber sub and I feel like he is S+. No buffs necessary, because NRS follows buffs up with the nerf hammer (kano).

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
To be fair, I haven't seen much use of them offline either. But I also haven't seen much use of Cyber Sub offline in general haha. I don't have much experience with cyber sub, but I assume their best use is for baiting the opponents which are harder to rush down so you can close distance with slides or dive kicks when they go to move away. Sounds good on paper, probably harder to do in practice.

sadphysics said:
Exactly, just fix online, if that's possible.

@Fixdswine

Just work with it a little more i'm sure there are some clever things to be found. I'll check it out myself too.
Honestly, when you it compare cyrax's bomb, it is pretty bad. I'm not saying we need another bomb trap, we just need a more viable and more pressurising bomb. Hell, before this current patch, it was actually a hindrance. You couldn't even call it a proper move.

To be fair, I haven't seen much use of them offline either. But I also haven't seen much use of Cyber Sub offline in general haha. I don't have much experience with cyber sub, but I assume their best use is for baiting the opponents which are harder to rush down so you can close distance with slides or dive kicks when they go to move away. Sounds good on paper, probably harder to do in practice.
It IS harder to do. Even a braindead sheeva mainer could avoid these miniature poof bombs.

xTac

Noob
FixdSwine no offense bro, but the bombs are fine. As someone already said.... you must learn how to use it.

"I dare you to hit someone atleast 3 times in a single match without it getting jumped over." man.... plz re-read what u just said... THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE BOMBS ARE FOR! Making people do/or stop doing perticular stuff so you can set them up for future attacks. (lets say you throw a bomb and they jump... thats great! Do EXiceball and then go for any combo you want or do a EXdivekick. If you dont have meter you can still dive kick, slide or parry for teleporters)

About the bombs timing, I dont like that idea. The current time allows a number of set ups that will only work because of that timing. Actually i would really be happy if the FAR bomb was patched so it would take MORE time to explode..(if you are 3/4 of screen and release a far ice bomb, it will drop behind them and you can pressure because even on block, a lot of moves would push them back into the bomb which is unblockable, but with the current timing only a few are possible i.e slide)
Making the blast radius larger would make it OP probably. The only thing that would be ok to change was if the move was a little faster/recovered faster. (its decent right now, but since this is more of a defensive/setup tool, i think the movement speed/recovery could be buffed SLIGHTLY--you could say thats the same thing as making the bombs explode faster, but the difference is the bomb itself still have the same timing so the opponent reaction time is the same, or if NRS buffs only the recovery time after the bomb is deployed will keep things the same too while giving us more time to make the bomb usefull)

In addition you can cancel the UP+4 animation into the bombs which is nice to setup situations to keep pressure or start defense/bait for punishing, since UP+4 is a finishing move for some combos.

Regarding the bomb shennaningans with the 3,3,2 and 3,4 --> You can tap Block quickly before inputting the command. (yes... i know it will mess up and make an EXbomb ocassionally, but 95% of the time is fine). That said... this is not a perfect way to go around it since it slows you down and would probably be better if they changed the bombs to 4.

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
Bombs could use some work, IMO. If they changed the parameters for the bomb freeze, it would be nice. Not freezing during vulnerability frames is too much. With the amount of damage post bomb freeze combos do, the bombs should be able to freeze at all times except when an opponent is already frozen. This would make bombs a more useful defensive tool.

It's not like you get a full 35+% combo from bomb freeze anyway. Damage is below average at best (3,4, dash b+2,2xxSlide). Even during a blockstring setup, the most you're getting when the bomb goes off is a b+2,2xxSlide, which is nothing.

If they want to leave the bomb the way it is, at least up the damage it deals.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

REYTHEGREAT

I agree. The bombs do need some type of work. Many times I have dashed to attempt 3,4 and those damn bombs come out lol.

I just tried CSZ yesterday and could not take him seriously with the forward dash into 3,4. I couldn't get the timing perfect and I knew unless I played him for a long time it would continue to happen especially online. Online is my main source of practice so I decided to just drop him for now. Should have some inputs changed because it's a pretty bad design flaw imo.

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
I wasn't talking about the negative edge bomb stuff when I said the bombs needed work, lol

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

SWBeta said:
Bombs could use some work, IMO. If they changed the parameters for the bomb freeze, it would be nice. Not freezing during vulnerability frames is too much. With the amount of damage post bomb freeze combos do, the bombs should be able to freeze at all times except when an opponent is already frozen. This would make bombs a more useful defensive tool.
lol You guys are crazy if you think they need to buff CSZ.

Just making the bombs a little better could potentially make him OP and totally broken. I mean he's already S tier with crappy bombs. So imagine if his ice bombs were good on top of it!

I've seen some high level CSZ players pull some nice bomb traps in the corner. There are some good things you can do with the bombs. Plus, they still force opponent to move around so it doesn't matter how much damage the bombs do, they're still freaking bombs.

Man I WISH Stryker had those kind of bombs lol. It would make him dangerous as hell even if they only did like 8% and didn't freeze/pop up the opponent. Just having those little unblockable bitch bombs would make Stryker S tier.

In addition you can cancel the UP+4 animation into the bombs which is nice to setup situations to keep pressure or start defense/bait for punishing, since UP+4 is a finishing move for some combos.

Almost impossible online due to input lag. I have mastered the cancel offline, hell i can do it with every special Cyber-sub has, but online is a no-no to that. Too unreliable.

The only thing that would be ok to change was if the move was a little faster/recovered faster.

i agree with you here, beacuse baits do not work well right now, as the recovery time is too long to take advantage of the bait.

Almost impossible online due to input lag.
You don't need to time it, it's not even a link it's a simple chain cancel. Meaning you could do it your eyes closed and with any amount of lag.

What's hard in tapping U+4 then immediately pressing B,B/F,F 3? I don't even main CSZ and can do it all the time pretty easily. Online, offline, doesn't matter. That's kid stuff.

And like others have said, it would be dumb to buff something just because a few people have trouble with lag. (because online is the problem, not the actual character/move itself)

Regarding the bomb shennaningans with the 3,3,2 and 3,4 --> Just tap Block quickly before inputting the command. (yes... i know it will mess up and make an EXbomb ocassionally, but 95% of the time is fine). That said... it would probably be better if they changed the bombs to 4.
I'd say it's better to do f,f~b+3 for whichever 3 string you want. Lose less frames and don't risk getting an EX bomb. For forward throws just do f,f~b~f+1+3.

xTac

Noob
Vulcan Hades said:
lol You guys are crazy if you think they need to buff CSZ.

Just making the bombs a little better could potentially make him OP and totally broken. I mean he's already S tier with crappy bombs. So imagine if his ice bombs were good on top of it!
:top::top::top:

It seems some people dont want to put time into the character.

Most complaining about the bombs sounds like "I dont understand.... why cant CSZ get a 70% combo off his bomb freeze. " lulzz. :D:D:D:D.

I do agree that the input design is bad for this character though. Wish they changed that too. Dont know how thats gonna work though since if they change the bombs to 4 there will be another issue. Far bomb is BBF3 and slide is BF4, see what im saying? I guess they should only change the input for the MID bomb which is FF3 to FF4 and leave far and close bombs as they are now. (ohh and buff the bomb recovery time a bit)

One thing i think would be really cool too is if the FAR bomb was like KL EXgroundhat. What i mean is that if you could hold it so it would only explode when you release it. ooh well... dream on... doubt it will ever happen. :D

Mechacide said:
I'd say it's better to do f,f~b+3 for whichever 3 string you want. Lose less frames and don't risk getting an EX bomb. For forward throws just do f,f~b~f+1+3.
Are you suggesting to start a string with B+3?? I dont like that idea because:

1-B+3 animation takes a long time to actually hit. Nobody is going to watch you spin around like a ballerina in front of them and take it. That doesnt work at all. At lest for me.
2-If your opponent blocks low you are completely screwed. Since the only thing u can follow up is 2 and (B+3, 2) is completely unsafe on block.

xTac

Noob

It's not like you get a full 35+% combo from bomb freeze anyway. Damage is below average at best (3,4, dash b+2,2xxSlide). Even during a blockstring setup, the most you're getting when the bomb goes off is a b+2,2xxSlide, which is nothing.

If they want to leave the bomb the way it is, at least up the damage it deals.
At first when i read your post i thought your suggestion would make CSZ overpowered. But that was because i though the bombs did not freeze only while the opponent was grounded. However, by vulnerability frames i realize you mean we can pretty much count any situation where the opponent is unable to block. Which, indeed makes the bomb way less powerfull. I guess after checking out more carefully i changed my mind about being that OP and ill explain below.

Although you actually CAN get a high damage combo off a bomb freeze, its not insanely high and since the probability off getting a bomb freeze, as it is, is very slim, i do agree that a patch would come in handy.

Right now the max i can do is (a)38% midscreen and (b)39% in the corner with:
a)Midscreen - IceBomb, Njp, Up+4 xx ExSlide (without meter it does 36%)
b)Corner - IceBomb, Npj, 1, 2, 1+2, 3, 3, 2 xx ExSlide (without meter it does 38%)
*Even if you hit them with a far bomb across the screen you have time to sprint all the way and land Njp

During matches i was not able to notice exactly what i am going to post below, but after i read this thread i went to practice mode with him and confirmed what you have said. And i have seen other posts from people commenting on how wierd the bombs work, so here is why:

I recorded a number of situations that the bombs will not freeze. Basically they sum up to the "rule" of vulnerability frames(whenever the opponent cannot block), with the exception of clip number 2, since reptile has armor during ExGreenHand. (ok, i know the armor duration is extremely quick, but still...)

So... for those who havent realized exactly why this is bad:

Clip 1 - Bombs will not freeze if deployed while the opponent is in the air
Clip 2 - Bombs will not freeze if deployed while the opponent is performing a wakeup attack that has armor
Clip 3 - Another example of bombs not freezing while opponent performs a wake up attack (armor? not sure)
Clip 4 - Bombs will not freeze if deployed while the opponent is performing a whiffed string
Clip 5 - Bombs will not freeze if deployed while the opponent is performing a whiffed special move

So, IMO, number 1, 2, 4 and 5 should be changed maybe?

I mean its not my fault the opponent whiffed his string(4), neither his special(5), too bad for him.... Why should the bombs not freeze there?
(1) is pretty bad too because it negates the trap of deploying a far and a mid bomb or close and mid bombs, since the opponent is inclided to jump forward to escape the far bomb and vice versa.
Not counting the bombs will not freeze even if you use the Ex version, which becomes a ridiculous 8% 1 bar hit if used while the opponent is in the air. However, i can see why this could be overpowered. Not sure.
Plus, in a projectile trade(5) it wont freeze as well, so that sucks i guess.
And (2) the oppent has armor so.... not vulnerable there exactly.

I think it should freeze at least on 4 and 5, maybe 1 too. I Dont know if thats a possible patch though. If not, maybe up the damage to something like 12%?

Any opinions? Am I missing anything that would make this change OP?

So let me get this straight... basically, you want:

1. bombs to freeze opponent even if he tries to jump
2. bombs to have complete priority over armored wake up attacks and freeze opponents that have any kind of armor
3. bombs to freeze opponent whiffing strings and special moves

So basically what you're saying is you don't want the opponent to be able to avoid your bombs freezing via jumping or whiffing normals and specials. Now how am I supposed to avoid them since they're unblockable? By dashing and back dashing? Ok. Sounds fair. Let's pretend I can only avoid bombs freezing me by dashing and back dashing out of their way.

Oh wait, I just discovered an infinite bomb trap in the corner: 1, 2, 1+2, U4, close bomb... opponent can't whiff a wake up, special or normal, opponent can't jump or block to avoid being freezed. I just lock them in the corner with a dive kick or whatever. They obviously can't dash or backdash since they're in the corner with no where else to go. Bombs explodes, they freeze. I combo again and end with the same set up. Rinse, repeat. You're dead.

CSZ is already S tier. He doesn't need much. CSZ only really struggles vs characters that have air control and/or can prevent him from getting in with dive kick pressure. So Ermac, Kitana, Mileena, Kabal, Sub Zero, Kung Lao...

I guess he could use *some* help to deal with those matchups. But making those ice bombs better would be dumb and possibly make him too good. Who knows what kind of silly bomb traps he could end up having.

btw Does EN dive kick has armor? If it doesn't have armor, then maybe giving this move armor could help in the bad matchups. That would certainly be more reasonnable than buffing his ice bombs. The only other buff I could see happening is making the bombs build a little more meter. I dunno.

Shouldn't the question be "Does Cyber Sub-Zero need a buff?" instead of "Does Cyber Sub-Zero's bombs need a buff?"? Most people already consider him to be S tier.