What's new

Current EVO Numbers For MKXL Release, Any Thoughts?

Tweedy

Noob
I get your point @Rude about how they shouldn't expect to win if they don't play as much. However, they shouldn't lose because the game is altered, especially altered in a way that destroys the way that they learned and expected to play. They should lose because our players are better at the game, since they put more time into it. Justin Wong wasn't winning everything with day 1 Raiden. Still, he played during the first two months that the game didn't see a crazy patch.

@coolwhip Imo the idea that like Wong or Alucard wouldn't sign up a year after release, is a bad attitude. Why can't we at least allow them the opportunity to do so? With these severe nerfs, people are just gonna quit every time. Imo that's why we're always left with the same number of people a year in. This community expects and accepts the abuse. When a character is nerfed from high to low tier, and another character from the same high tier is nerfed to being above average or still top, we just say "deal with it". lol

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I get your point @Rude about how they shouldn't expect to win if they don't play as much. However, they shouldn't lose because the game is altered, especially altered in a way that destroys the way that they learned and expected to play. They should lose because our players are better at the game, since they put more time into it. Justin Wong wasn't winning everything with day 1 Raiden. Still, he played during the first two months that the game didn't see a crazy patch.

@coolwhip Imo the idea that like Wong or Alucard wouldn't sign up a year after release, is a bad attitude. Why can't we at least allow them the opportunity to do so? With these severe nerfs, people are just gonna quit every time. Imo that's why we're always left with the same number of people a year in. This community expects and accepts the abuse. When a character is nerfed from high to low tier, and another character from the same high tier is nerfed to being above average or still top, we just say "deal with it". lol

Actually Justin did leave because of constant patching. There's an interview somewhere on YouTube, if I find it I'll post it. He left KI for pretty much same reason as well.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
This has to be the worst parade of scrub I've ever seen on this site.
If only my computer didn't die I wouldnt have to write in this tiny phone :(

You guys want to know why the numbers are low?

Because of you.

How many people posting this thread have:

A) Labbed a match up.
B) Traveled anywhere, local or major.
C) Gotten involved with the scene.
D) Found anything with your character.
E) Actually tried to get high level MU experience and leveled up.

First of all, I see a bunch of random people who joined in 2015 and have 11 posts telling us that the game is dead. Sorry guys, but online ranked is not the life of the game.

For all the people whinning about the patches: your capcom guys were ALWAYS gonna drop the game either way. They do it with every new game. Sometimes you get someone like Hector Sanchez convincing Fchamp to start some hype and they always bail because WE'RE NOT THEIR COMMUNITY. I know isn't that weird that being part of the community is actually what 90% of these offline tournaments are all about? Either way, just because JWong doesn't play the game, doesn't mean hundreds of people will stop playing. Does anyone here feel they shouldn't travel 2hrs to a major because JWong didn't enter for MK? Exactly. The patching business is a lame excuse for people who want to dedicate minimal effort and get competitive results, which is ridiculous (unless Chris G for some reason). With or without patches, the meta of a game is constantly changing.

Next point, to the people crying about it being "imbalanced". Surprise, it's not. Yes, there are a few characters that get away with murder, but let's be real, unless you're fighting a top level competitor (there are like 20 in the world) most match ups are perfectly winnable with knowledge and good fundamentals. There are no Lex Zods or Jades Kenshis. Theres no Cyrax get hit once you lose. There's no Batgirl or MMH. Your character has bad match ups, sure, thats the nature of fighting games and if you want to be competitive in ANY game you have to learn a few at a high level. That's fighting games. No, Alien doesn't run the game. Yes, there's tech against him for every character. Yes, most people here don't even know or can't fuzzy anything. The fact that most people are saying that there are all these "safe 50/50s makes me think I'm playing a different game or you guys don't know what a 50/50 actually is. There's no such thing as run in 50/50s. There's "you didn't react/poked/jumped out/played footsies" though. I do think there are a couple of issues, like Mileenas hitbox and such, but the game is not the broken piece of shit these randoms are making it up to be.

Seriously, for all the delusional people blaming the game I'm just gonna say this: in my more than 5 years of being here, I haven't seen you TYM crybaby in any top 16-32 of a major, or even top 50 in the challenger cup for xbox. If you can't even accomplish a little tiny bit of success while others do it consistently in 3 different games then maybe, just maybe, it's you, and you need to change your mindset.

This is what you guys need to do:

Support your local scene.
Support your regional scene.
Support the offline majors.
Travel, share a rented car so its cheap, get a room for 8 people, don't assume that you need money to travel, you don't, experience what actual competitive NRS games are, not sitting in an empty room playing rank and whinning on TYM, but meet the very tightly-knit offline community and be a part of what makes this whole thing great. If I only had TYM I'd left long, looong time ago. While I have the privilege to be able to have a job and be able to travel, it doesn't mean I didn't used to sit for 8hrs on a shady bus going to mexico city to play with @Under_The_Mayo and 15 scrubs on 2 CRTs for a 20 dollar pot bonus, or I didn't drive 9 hrs from Virginia because there was a dead body in the road coming back with Gandy from TCW, or 16 hr drive back in Zyphox's car of death that had no breaks coming back from Combo Breaker. IMO, you have to give some to get some and honestly I'd do every shitty trip again because it's absolutely worth it, not because the game but because the people. Of course I travelled to lose (Green Arrow? Who am I kidding he had like 15 7-3s) , who cares! And yes it's a shame that most of those people don't post here anymore.

So instead of posting idiot things and assuming the game is dead, how about you get involved and you experience the actual community (not whatever this is) by yourself. YOU, TYM poster, are the evo numbers that are missing.

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

Because of you.

A) Labbed a match up.

First of all, I see a bunch of random people who joined in 2015 and have 11 posts telling us that the game is dead. Sorry guys, but online ranked is not the life of the game.

For all the people whinning about the patches: your capcom guys were ALWAYS gonna drop the game either way. They do it with every new game. Sometimes you get someone like Hector Sanchez convincing Fchamp to start some hype and they always bail because WE'RE NOT THEIR COMMUNITY. I know isn't that weird that being part of the community is actually what 90% of these offline tournaments are all about? Either way, just because JWong doesn't play the game, doesn't mean hundreds of people will stop playing. Does anyone here feel they shouldn't travel 2hrs to a major because JWong didn't enter for MK? Exactly. The patching business is a lame excuse for people who want to dedicate minimal effort and get competitive results, which is ridiculous (unless Chris G for some reason). With or without patches, the meta of a game is constantly changing.

Next point, to the people crying about it being "imbalanced". Surprise, it's not. Yes, there are a few characters that get away with murder, but let's be real, unless you're fighting a top level competitor (there are like 20 in the world) most match ups are perfectly winnable with knowledge and good fundamentals. There are no Lex Zods or Jades Kenshis. Theres no Cyrax get hit once you lose. There's no Batgirl or MMH. Your character has bad match ups, sure, thats the nature of fighting games and if you want to be competitive in ANY game you have to learn a few at a high level. That's fighting games. No, Alien doesn't run the game. Yes, there's tech against him for every character. Yes, most people here don't even know or can't fuzzy anything. The fact that most people are saying that there are all these "safe 50/50s makes me think I'm playing a different game or you guys don't know what a 50/50 actually is. There's no such thing as run in 50/50s. There's "you didn't react/poked/jumped out/played footsies" though. I do think there are a couple of issues, like Mileenas hitbox and such, but the game is not the broken piece of shit these randoms are making it up to be.

Seriously, for all the delusional people blaming the game I'm just gonna say this: in my more than 5 years of being here, I haven't seen you TYM crybaby in any top 16-32 of a major, or even top 50 in the challenger cup for xbox. If you can't even accomplish a little tiny bit of success while others do it consistently in 3 different games then maybe, just maybe, it's you, and you need to change your mindset.

Travel, share a rented car so its cheap, get a room for 8 people, don't assume that you need money to travel, you don't, experience what actual competitive NRS games are, not sitting in an empty room playing rank and whinning on TYM, but meet the very tightly-knit offline community and be a part of what makes this whole thing great. If I only had TYM I'd left long, looong time ago. While I have the privilege to be able to have a job and be able to travel, it doesn't mean I didn't used to sit for 8hrs on a shady bus going to mexico city to play with @Under_The_Mayo and 15 scrubs on 2 CRTs for a 20 dollar pot bonus, or I didn't drive 9 hrs from Virginia because there was a dead body in the road coming back with Gandy from TCW, or 16 hr drive back in Zyphox's car of death that had no breaks coming back from Combo Breaker. IMO, you have to give some to get some and honestly I'd do every shitty trip again because it's absolutely worth it, not because the game but because the people. Of course I travelled to lose (Green Arrow? Who am I kidding he had like 15 7-3s) , who cares! And yes it's a shame that most of those people don't post here anymore.

So instead of posting idiot things and assuming the game is dead, how about you get involved and you experience the actual community (not whatever this is) by yourself. YOU, TYM poster, are the evo numbers that are missing.

The game is dead. Sorry to say, but with how much experience you have dude you should know that mkx is coming to a close. Sad, yes, but it's inevitable and SOON.

Also, people don't need top-anything at any tournament to have an opinion. That kind of mindset is poisonous and while I agree with the spiel about scrubs posting bullshit, I don't think it's cool to just shove it back in their faces because it isn't what u wanna read.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So you do think it's fair when characters like Raiden and Tanya get nerfed and characters like Mileena, Takeda, Cage, etc are buffed significantly or left alone?

I don't think that's fair. Liu Kang got nerfed and is still pretty good. It's like Paulo randomly decides how badly someone will get nerfed. I know that's not the case, but my point is that the patches are so fast, that they're always going to be unfair. With that in mind, the constant nerfs to characters more than anything, is a total buzzkill. Buffs and fixes should always be the bulk of what we get.

There's a difference between letting Raiden rock and nerfing him to where he's never seen top 16 at a major since the early stages of the game. It's not like people didn't play him either, people were forced into dropping him. For a player like Justin Wong, why would he continue to put time into MKX if his best and favorite character was nerfed from being dope to arguably not being viable at the highest level? It's one thing if the new kids on the block like Takeda and Mileena go even with him, or he beats one and loses to the other. He gets his butthole turned inside out.
Was it fair for Raiden to trap characters that didn't have fast pokes in vanilla indefinitely in the corner?

Justin Wong isn't some newcomer. Buffs and nerfs have been a thing since SF started releasing multiple versions of game regularly.

Questioning the decisions in balancing is fine. Dropping a game that you weren't taking seriously to begin with, then blaming the developer instead of taking responsibility that any reasonable person should, isn't.

The reality is this, but no Capcom player ever wanted to say it: They came for the money and thought that they could get a free ride. The moment they had to adapt and stay current and treat the game as more than their 4th/5th side project, they bailed.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
The game is dead. Sorry to say, but with how much experience you have dude you should know that mkx is coming to a close. Sad, yes, but it's inevitable and SOON.

Also, people don't need top-anything at any tournament to have an opinion. That kind of mindset is poisonous and while I agree with the spiel about scrubs posting bullshit, I don't think it's cool to just shove it back in their faces because it isn't what u wanna read.
Did you go to Combo Breaker?

Tweedy

Noob
Was it fair for Raiden to trap characters that didn't have fast pokes in vanilla indefinitely in the corner?

Justin Wong isn't some newcomer. Buffs and nerfs have been a thing since SF started releasing multiple versions of game regularly.

Questioning the decisions in balancing is fine. Dropping a game that you weren't taking seriously to begin with, then blaming the developer instead of taking responsibility that any reasonable person should, isn't.

The reality is this, but no Capcom player ever wanted to say it: They came for the money and thought that they could get a free ride. The moment they had to adapt and stay current and treat the game as more than their 4th/5th side project, they bailed.
Fair.

I still think that the patches are too fast. That's the nature of games that release every other year, though. Otherwise we're stuck with extreme bullshit, like Raiden, as you mentioned.

EMPEROR PRYCE

Did you go to Combo Breaker?
I pre regged and was going but the clutch in my car burned out :( my friends were going to but only to spectate.

Regardless, I pretty much created my local MKX scene here in northern Indiana and I have pride for my community. I've taught 5 different ppl from other games how to play and now they love it.

I'm just saying, you know it's true, I know it's true. The game is dead after EVO. I'll gladly swallow my words if I'm wrong though.

Tweedy

Noob
I pre regged and was going but the clutch in my car burned out :( my friends were going to but only to spectate.

Regardless, I pretty much created my local MKX scene here in northern Indiana and I have pride for my community. I've taught 5 different ppl from other games how to play and now they love it.

I'm just saying, you know it's true, I know it's true. The game is dead after EVO. I'll gladly swallow my words if I'm wrong though.
Your standard of a game living is kind of high tbh.

I'm perfectly fine with playing a game that gets 100-200 people at each major and has 2-3 online tournaments each week. Even if the game is like the 4th or 5th most popular game at tournaments.

Of course we want the game that we play to challenge Street Fighter in numbers. It doesn't have to be dead because it's not doing that. It's not like MKX won't be a main stage game at majors up until Injustice 2 comes out. There are many smaller fighting game communities. Think of all of those small games that Sonic wins or get 2nd for at each tournament. They would kill for 250-300 people every time.

Also, we really need to consider that Marvel numbers are inflated by Street Fighter players. I think that's a serious point. If Justin Wong and all of the other Marvel guys who are there for Street Fighter, were forced to play one, Marvel would probably be looking like MKX. Just my speculation of course.

Rude

Fair.

I still think that the patches are too fast. That's the nature of games that release every other year, though. Otherwise we're stuck with extreme bullshit, like Raiden, as you mentioned.
Personally, I think its incredible that the community is saying that NRS patches too frequently when only a few years ago they would have consulted the Dark Arts for one more MK9/Inj patch.

Rude

Because of you.

A) Labbed a match up.

Absolutely brilliant. I'm legit erect after reading that. Thank you.

Tweedy

Noob
Personally, I think its incredible that the community is saying that NRS patches too frequently when only a few years ago they would have consulted the Dark Arts for one more MK9/Inj patch.
I should rephrase.

A lot of good comes out of fast patching, especially when the game releases quickly and isn't as polished.

The nerfing is really what I have an issue with. How Liu Kang was nerfed was fine. They took away his ability to lock people down by making his bicycle kick 0 on block, they toned down his meterbuild and chip. The latter was universal so he didn't suffer too badly. What was done with Raiden and Tanya was not okay imo. It's better with Raiden now, since a lot of other characters were nerfed.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Usually it's a 30% maybe 40% drop

Not 74%

A 30%-40% drop is like week 1 civil war to week 2 at the movie theatres

74% is like Xmen apocalypse/batman v superman week 1 to week 2
Read the rest of the post

Also remember that we've probably only had 30-40% of the outside community participating with as at previous EVOs. EVO 2015 after MKX launch was the biggest influx of non-NRS players we've ever had, as evidenced by the fact that we've had our usual 1-200 at every other tournament.

Most of those players are probably done, for the reasons mentioned above. Can't sugarcoat it.

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

Your standard of a game living is kind of high tbh.

I'm perfectly fine with playing a game that gets 100-200 people at each major and has 2-3 online tournaments each week. Even if the game is like the 4th or 5th most popular game at tournaments.

Of course we want the game that we play to challenge Street Fighter in numbers. It doesn't have to be dead because it's not doing that. It's not like MKX won't be a main stage game at majors up until Injustice 2 comes out. There are many smaller fighting game communities. Think of all of those small games that Sonic wins or get 2nd for at each tournament. They would kill for 250-300 people every time.

Also, we really need to consider that Marvel numbers are inflated by Street Fighter players. I think that's a serious point. If Justin Wong and all of the other Marvel guys who are there for Street Fighter, were forced to play one, Marvel would probably be looking like MKX. Just my speculation of course.

Yeah probably won't get that many nor be a main game at majors.

Points: Revelators release, as well and kof xiv and tekken 7 right around the corner.

Potentially final season of esl for MKX (don't know if they'll do another season)

Final evo for the game as well.

Like seriously this has gon on ever since mk9 release. It's the same cycle over and over. Mkx isn't a bad game, but it's final days are near.

Rude

Yeah probably won't get that many nor be a main game at majors.

Points: Revelators release, as well and kof xiv and tekken 7 right around the corner.

Potentially final season of esl for MKX (don't know if they'll do another season)

Final evo for the game as well.

Like seriously this has gon on ever since mk9 release. It's the same cycle over and over. Mkx isn't a bad game, but it's final days are near.
You have no evidence to prove that this was the last ESL.

Also, if people like you sit at home and post doom and gloom all day, od course it will.

It's funny; MK9 survived the release of Tekken Tag 2, Soul Calibur V, Skullgirls, etc to go onto have 3 EVOs throughout the course of its life and that's WITH people proclaiming it's death after it's first EVO.

Just stop.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
This is just flat out not true. You have to learn how to apply some aspects of your characters game differently or adapt your strategies/tech. Which doesn't take that long.

This "I had to relearn my character" is a massive bill that more often than not only exposes how little people actually knew about their character to begin with.
I should have worded that better what I mean is who wants to keep having their chars toyed with all the time.. They Nerf/buff and alt on and on to the point where average players or "casuals" don't even kno wtf is going on ... Its a turn off. Sure we love MK and we understand why some of these updates happen so we put up with it , but its hard for new people to get in the loop when they just spent weeks learning shit only for it to be alt/patched away.. So they just drop it and move on... Constant patching is a double edge sword in my opinion. It can go either way

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
I should have worded that better what I mean is who wants to keep having their chars toyed with all the time.. They Nerf/buff and alt on and on to the point where average players or "casuals" don't even kno wtf is going on ... Its a turn off. Sure we love MK and we understand why some of these updates happen so we put up with it , but its hard for new people to get in the loop when they just spent weeks learning shit only for it to be alt/patched away.. So they just drop it and move on... Constant patching is a double edge sword in my opinion. It can go either way
Casuals don't go to tournaments.

EMPEROR PRYCE

You have no evidence to prove that this was the last ESL.

Also, if people like you sit at home and post doom and gloom all day, od course it will.

It's funny; MK9 survived the release of Tekken Tag 2, Soul Calibur V, Skullgirls, etc to go onto have 3 EVOs throughout the course of its life and that's WITH people proclaiming it's death after it's first EVO.

Just stop.
I said IDK if it's the last esl.

Go ahead and hold on to hope if you want

The notion that casual players opinions don’t matter because they don’t travel to tournaments is silly in all honesty. I’m a fan of basketball and been a fan all my life. I play the game casually, but when I watch the pros play as an observer I can acknowledge good/bad plays and what one team lacks in weakness and what strengths they have. Same goes for games I have an interest in (i.e MKX). MKX only rewards one play style which is all offensive base. All the characters considered top tier all have a similar play style ( rush down, 50/50's, jailing pressure, and so on). That could very much be the problem. There's no diversity in playing styles in MKX.